Mickey Evans our most inspired signing?

SaintDonkey

Evans made a massive difference when he came but the following season he seemed to believe all the hype, tried to play like a cultured footballer and had little impact.

I would agree with Wilf that Ron Davies for £55 000 was the most inspired transfer but Cliff Huxford and George O'Brien were pretty good bits of business too.

Alan Ball - His signing at Christmas 76 transformed the cup final side in slow decline into one that romped to promotion the next season. Chris Nicholl, a real coup in signing the captain of a first division side, he came with a guaranteed record of promotion.

And one often forgotten - Mick Mills. Came in during the 82/83 season to stablise a side still reeling from the loss of Keegan. Next season we nearly did the double. Crucially, he taught the side what it took to win away from home. I'll never forget the second to last game of 83/84 on a Monday evening at a near deserted Hawthorns. We seemed to be settling for the inevitable draw when Mick was heard shouting "ere we can win this one". A 2-0 win was duly achieved followed by 3-1 at Notts County on Thursday and we were runners up, with Man Uninted finishing fourth in their two horse race with Liverpool.

His career at Saints lasted about six months but in that time he scored some vital goals.West Ham at the Dell springs to mind aswell as Forest away.His goals helped keep us up but i am not sure he would be our most inspired signing.

I don't think they are trying to suggest that he was our most inspired signing. It is an article detailing '6 of the best' all of which have different backgrounds and circumstances i.e. he wasn't really very good but it worked.

Evans made a massive difference when he came but the following season he seemed to believe all the hype, tried to play like a cultured footballer and had little impact.

I would agree with Wilf that Ron Davies for £55 000 was the most inspired transfer but Cliff Huxford and George O'Brien were pretty good bits of business too.

As a bit of business I suppose Dean Richards has to figure somewhere. Signed on a free, turned some magnificent performances and sold for £10M(?)