Mapping drives...help

Marsdinho

Im trying to map a drive wirelessly from my XP laptop to my Vista PC.

The drive is mapped and I can see it, but when I try to access any folders on it I get the message saying I dont have the right permissions.

Now (here is the embarassing bit) Im a 2nd line engineer and I cant fathom where I have gone wrong, ive been through all the properties etc but cant find where ive made the f*ck up.

the XP laptop is listed as MW-LAPTOP\MATT but I cant see where in the vista properties I can add this user so it has access rights???

Any idea's

PS: Yes, I know I should be able to fix this myself, but I cant for some reason !!!

Looks like it is either your NTFS Permissions or Share Permissions. (check these by right clicking the folder on your Vista machine and choose properties)

however I have also had issue with XP to Vista shares as for some reason they don't like each other (hay it's microsoft afterall) only way I got round it was to copy all i wanted onto as USB stick.

I always find it easier to manage this from the Computer Management console in Vista., Right Click My Computer and select Manage. Expand Shared folders and then highlight shares. Find your share and right hand click on it and go to propeties.

Now i'm taking it when you log on to the share, you use a user account setup locally on the vista pc. Add this to Share permissions and Security permissions with Full Control.

You shouldn't need to do anything else......

long shot, is it connecting you as a guest rather than as your user credentials?

secpol.msc, local policies, network access sharing and security, change to classic on both

Ive checked these as well.

I think the problem must lie with Vista and XP not liking each other. Ill keep searching the net for answers.....

Ive checked these as well.

I think the problem must lie with Vista and XP not liking each other. Ill keep searching the net for answers.....

Under folder options (Open explorer then choose tools and folder options) Then under one of the tabs you will have a list of items you can tick and untick. At the bottom should be an option to turn off easy share permissions (or something like that). This should enable you to change permissions to a larger degree.