Romain Gasmi

pedg

Will make this a separate thread I think...

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/247070/Sport-Gasmi-piste-par-Southampton.php

via google translate...

The club Southampton (English second division) likes to make its market in Strasbourg.

After Morgan Schneiderlin recruited in early summer, a second player of the RCS is in the line of fire of English: Romain Gasmi.

The mid offensive 21 years, currently injured foot, is "party there to visit the facilities," confirms Jean-Luc Herzog.

"Southampton contacted us and it could be assisted with an option to purchase.

"An event made possible because Romain Gasmi is not in the plans of Jean-Marc Furlan.

On a hypothetical arrival of Kandia Traore in Strasbourg, the Director General and Racing are still in discussion with the player and Sochaux.

The google translate was pretty good to be fair, but here is my own translation in case of any doubts (first paragraph only, second para is just about some Ivorian that they want to sign).

Gasmi tracked by Southampton

Southampton (second tier of England) want to do business in Strasbourg. Having already recruited Morgan Schneirderlin at the start of summer, a second Strasbourg player is being lined up the English club: Romain Gasmi. The attacking midfielder, 21 years old, who is currently sidelined with a foot injury is “going there to look at the set-up” confirmed Jean-Luc Herzog, “Southampton contacted us and he could be loaned there with an option to buy”, a scenario made possible because Gasmi does not figure in Jean-Marc Furlan’s plans.

The google translate was pretty good to be fair, but here is my own translation in case of any doubts (first paragraph only, second para is just about some Ivorian that they want to sign).

Gasmi tracked by Southampton

Southampton (second tier of England) want to do business in Strasbourg. Having already recruited Morgan Schneirderlin at the start of summer, a second Strasbourg player is being lined up the English club: Romain Gasmi. The attacking midfielder, 21 years old, who is currently sidelined with a foot injury is “going there to look at the set-up” confirmed Jean-Luc Herzog, “Southampton contacted us and he could be loaned there with an option to buy”, a scenario made possible because Gasmi does not figure in Jean-Marc Furlan’s plans.

A fairly accurate translation although it says like to do business and not want

to do business. I myself am becoming a litte concerned that maybe(just maybe) we're signing too many players now.We just have to get rid of anyone who doesn't figure in Jan's plans, unless of course we really are going to let

Surman go to Birmingham,or that Killer (or Perry) aren't expected to last very long.

to do business. I myself am becoming a litte concerned that maybe(just maybe) we're signing too many players now.We just have to get rid of anyone who doesn't figure in Jan's plans, unless of course we really are going to let

Surman go to Birmingham,or that Killer (or Perry) aren't expected to last very long.

At the moment i see absolutely no place in this set up for Euell or BWP so they should certainly both be sold. Whilst he is on big wages i would keep Skacel as i actually feel he is a better left back than Surman & would provide good competition for Drew, assuming that he is staying.

I reckon we could pick up a good few hundred thousand for Euell & BWP & in the process getting another approx £15/20k a week off the wage bill.

A good point well made it does indeed say like to do business, that's why you shouldn't rush.

Here's a pic of the man in question.

681.jpg

Seeing as this guy is an Am I doubt he is being brought in to cover any of the 3 you mentioned above.

More likely (fingers crossed) is that the rumour about BWP going to Guzz is true (or that someone is sniffing around for Euell, or both).

At the moment i see absolutely no place in this set up for Euell or BWP so they should certainly both be sold. Whilst he is on big wages i would keep Skacel as i actually feel he is a better left back than Surman & would provide good competition for Drew, assuming that he is staying.

I reckon we could pick up a good few hundred thousand for Euell & BWP & in the process getting another approx £15/20k a week off the wage bill.

I feel that their salaries will be a sticking point most anywhere in the CCC,we might just have to let them go free AND do something on the salary front as well, a one time pay-off or something.

Seeing as this guy is an Am I doubt he is being brought in to cover any of the 3 you mentioned above.

More likely (fingers crossed) is that the rumour about BWP going to Guzz is true (or that someone is sniffing around for Euell, or both).

No I didn't mean a like for like replacement but if necessary we could shuffle the pack to make a slot for him.What I mean is the back 4 looks fairly fixed,so there's no place for either Cork or James,the midfield is the same,so what do

we do with either Wotton or this new guy?Then there's the new kid from Spurs to fit in (be it on the bench)

I feel that their salaries will be a sticking point most anywhere in the CCC,we might just have to let them go free AND do something on the salary front as well, a one time pay-off or something.

Weren't Plymouth after BWP?? I'm sure the 2 of them must realise they'd have to take a wage cut to go anywhere else in the CCC but then i guess they are just happy to pick up their pay packet here whilst doing nothing.

Weren't Plymouth after BWP?? I'm sure the 2 of them must realise they'd have to take a wage cut to go anywhere else in the CCC but then i guess they are just happy to pick up their pay packet here whilst doing nothing.

Unless we make a deal,happens often enough apparently, a one off severance

payment.

I posted on another thread but he's currently injured with a broken 5th metatarsal and could be out for another 6 weeks. He's had a medical though (not sure how he gets through that still out injured?) and he's here till Thursday. He won't sign anything till after the weekend because his agent hasn't come over with him.

No I didn't mean a like for like replacement but if necessary we could shuffle the pack to make a slot for him.What I mean is the back 4 looks fairly fixed,so there's no place for either Cork or James,the midfield is the same,so what do

we do with either Wotton or this new guy?Then there's the new kid from Spurs to fit in (be it on the bench)

It's a long old season where there will be planty of injuries and suspensions, let alone allowing for some players to be rested and thus not suffer from 'burn-out'. Plus it is always good to have competition for places as it makes those with the starting slot work that bit harder if they know they can easily be replaced.

IMO there should be enough in the squad to allow for 3 players to fill every position, but with some of those players covering more than one position (i.e. a 25 man squad, not a 33 man squad) and I think we are just about there, even if BWP and Euell do go. (I personally want Skacel to stay.)

Yeah how is it known that we are getting another European player?

Also, does anyone know if he is an attacking midfielder or wide player?

This should also help Schneiderlin to settle in etc...

I think one of the ITKs mentioned it on a different thread...

If Dyer didn't sign a contract the other month we could have sacked Bwp for gross misconduct {robbing the skates} but now we have tied Dyer up i dont think we would get away with it!

I posted on another thread but he's currently injured with a broken 5th metatarsal and could be out for another 6 weeks. He's had a medical though (not sure how he gets through that still out injured?) and he's here till Thursday. He won't sign anything till after the weekend because his agent hasn't come over with him.

Im confused. If he is here till Thursday but won't sign anything until after the weekend then how does this work as the window shuts on Monday?

Yeah how is it known that we are getting another European player?

Also, does anyone know if he is an attacking midfielder or wide player?

This should also help Schneiderlin to settle in etc...

Attacking midfielder. Quite talented according to Strasbourg fans but not the hardest working player. Sounds a bit like an icing on the cake kind of player.

Im confused. If he is here till Thursday but won't sign anything until after the weekend then how does this work as the window shuts on Monday?

Don't think the loan window closes then, or if it does then it opens up again soon after.

To be honest I only got this by using google and the bit about him not signing till later was a quote he made on the radio.

Attacking midfielder. Quite talented according to Strasbourg fans but not the hardest working player. Sounds a bit like an icing on the cake kind of player.

Don't think the loan window closes then, or if it does then it opens up again soon after.

To be honest I only got this by using google and the bit about him not signing till later was a quote he made on the radio.

Yes, you are right, I think it's closed for a week, then opened for loans.

A local French paper says basically:

After Schneiderlin another French youngster prepares to join Saints. Gasmi, 21, will join on loan with a view to a permanent move of around 1m euros. Gasmi fractured his fifth metartarsal on August 9th and will be unavailable for a month and a half but the english club of the Championship nevetheless want to pursue the loan of a player who has fallen out of favour.

Gasmi will today or tomrrow have a medical so the English club can check the exact nature of his injury and will then join Southampton shortly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems to have appeared in quite a few French papers so seems promising. If he is anywhere near as good as Schneiderlin.....

A local French paper says basically:

After Schneiderlin another French youngster prepares to join Saints. Gasmi, 21, will join on loan with a view to a permanent move of around 1m euros. Gasmi fractured his fifth metartarsal on August 9th and will be unavailable for a month and a half but the english club of the Championship nevetheless want to pursue the loan of a player who has fallen out of favour.

Gasmi will today or tomrrow have a medical so the English club can check the exact nature of his injury and will then join Southampton shortly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems to have appeared in quite a few French papers so seems promising. If he is anywhere near as good as Schneiderlin.....

Does that mean he's done in his metartarsal 5 times already or just the fifth metartarsal on his foot?

Obviously don't know anything about Gasmi but if he's anywhere near as good as Schneiderlin i'll be chuffed. Should help Schneiderlin setlle in the area and keep him happy here.

Is Prost working at Strasburg now? would be ace if Lowe could get him back to St Marys.

Does that mean he's done in his metartarsal 5 times already or just the fifth metartarsal on his foot?

Obviously don't know anything about Gasmi but if he's anywhere near as good as Schneiderlin i'll be chuffed. Should help Schneiderlin setlle in the area and keep him happy here.

Is Prost working at Strasburg now? would be ace if Lowe could get him back to St Marys.

As he did it on Aug 9th, just over three weks to full training.

Was at Lyon last I heard but could've moved on, I guess.

Was at Lyon last I heard but could've moved on, I guess.

The bloke who washes the cars at the cement works opposite SMS (not the useful source who washes the trucks mind) reckons that if we stabilise our cash flow and get few more fans back through the doors we might just try and find a gap for somebody who has a fantastic track record of running an operation that brings through young players, but that it would need to fit in with the existing structure and not upset the current applecart.

(Well he didn't QUITE say that more like 'ere that kraut bloke wot got poorly we had wid da kids would be good if we got 'im back on a freebie) But I think I got the gist, nearly

Is our squad too big to accomodate one more youngster with a future? I think not. By my reckoning we have a 'senior' squad of 32 but Euell and Skacel are certainly surplus to requirements and will be 'encouraged' to go very soon now.

That leaves 30 and Cork and Pekhart are on loan until the end of the year only so that will leave us with 28.

Byrne, Davies (Kyle) Gobbern, Hatch, Imudia, Paterson and Pernecky all have squad numbers but are surely not ready for first team action yet, even on the bench, so that leaves 21 and Kelvin Davis and BWP must be likely for moving on if the opportunity arises so that leaves just 19.

Can we operate with a first team squad of just 19 players? A couple more would not go amiss if they are cheap to run but high on effort and at a pretty well zero acquistion cost. Bring them in, develop them, and allow move them to move on without impacting the quality of the side makes good sense - income plus improving performance levels. There is no doubt some of emerging stars will attract attention and that they will move to bigger clubs if they get their chance so we always have to be finding and developing good young players. If the standard of the young ones coming in gets better and better because they know they will get a fair crack of the whip here then the club will benefit and improve.

We are not operating with just a first team of 11. Competiton and cover is evident and it is interesting that Dyer and BWP are on the fringes; Thomson, Mills, White and Lancashire are pressing for a place; someone has to make way for Tomas Pekhart; Wotton, John and Thomas fill in when there is room. That is the 19 to choose from with others developing - looks highly promising to me ...!

I am a fan of Andrew Surman but I wonder if Drew is beginning to feel the heat from the even younger players and that is making him edgy? He can only get in to the team by playing out of position so he may feel he needs to move on! Shame but that is the way it is going to be - no one is safe, you are always looking at the threat from the youngsters. Dead man's shoes does not apply these days.

Is our squad too big to accomodate one more youngster with a future? I think not. By my reckoning we have a 'senior' squad of 32 but Euell and Skacel are certainly surplus to requirements and will be 'encouraged' to go very soon now.

That leaves 30 and Cork and Pekhart are on loan until the end of the year only so that will leave us with 28.

Byrne, Davies (Kyle) Gobbern, Hatch, Imudia, Paterson and Pernecky all have squad numbers but are surely not ready for first team action yet, even on the bench, so that leaves 21 and Kelvin Davis and BWP must be likely for moving on if the opportunity arises so that leaves just 19.

Can we operate with a first team squad of just 19 players? A couple more would not go amiss if they are cheap to run but high on effort and at a pretty well zero acquistion cost. Bring them in, develop them, and allow move them to move on without impacting the quality of the side makes good sense - income plus improving performance levels. There is no doubt some of emerging stars will attract attention and that they will move to bigger clubs if they get their chance so we always have to be finding and developing good young players. If the standard of the young ones coming in gets better and better because they know they will get a fair crack of the whip here then the club will benefit and improve.

We are not operating with just a first team of 11. Competiton and cover is evident and it is interesting that Dyer and BWP are on the fringes; Thomson, Mills, White and Lancashire are pressing for a place; someone has to make way for Tomas Pekhart; Wotton, John and Thomas fill in when there is room. That is the 19 to choose from with others developing - looks highly promising to me ...!

I am a fan of Andrew Surman but I wonder if Drew is beginning to feel the heat from the even younger players and that is making him edgy? He can only get in to the team by playing out of position so he may feel he needs to move on! Shame but that is the way it is going to be - no one is safe, you are always looking at the threat from the youngsters. Dead man's shoes does not apply these days.

I couldn't a agree MORE!

COYR!! 3 - 1 Saints FACT u heard it here!!

I think it sounds like Gasmi is on his way.

Found the following on this Innernet forum http://www.racingstub.com/page.php?page=forumThread&msg=603587, which I have translated.

Gasmi discute avec Southampton

Comme indiqué dans notre édition d’hier, Romain Gasmi est, lui, sur le point de s’engager à Southampton (D 2 anglaise) en prêt avec option d’achat (Ndlr : autour d’1 million d’euros). Ce mardi, le milieu du RCS, sous contrat jusqu’en 2010, a passé avec succès la visite médicale, même s’il souffre depuis quinze jours d’une fracture du 5e métatarse du pied gauche et sera encore indisponible six semaines. « J’ai discuté avec le président et l’entraîneur. Ils veulent me recruter. Mais je préfère ne pas m’enflammer et me dire que je suis déjà à Southampton. J’attends que les deux clubs se mettent d’accord. Moi, je ne suis pas exigeant : je veux juste me faire prêter et avoir une chance de jouer. Je reste à Southampton jusqu’à jeudi après-midi. Ensuite, je rentre à Strasbourg. Je ne signerai rien avant la fin de semaine, parce que je me suis déplacé en Angleterre sans mon agent. J’avoue avoir été surpris de l’intérêt de Southampton alors que je suis blessé, mais je suis ravi. »

Gasmi in discussions with Southampton

As mentioned in yesterday’s edition, Romain Gasmi is on the brink of joining Southampton (2nd division in England) on loan with an option to buy (ED: believed to be about 1 million Euros). The Strasbourg midfielder, contracted until 2010 successfully passed a medical this Tuesday, even though he has been suffering from a fractured 5th metatarsal of the left foot for the last 15 days, and will be out of action for a further 6 weeks. “I’ve talked to the Chairman and the Manager and they both want to sign me, but I don’t want to get carried away and say I’m already a Southampton player, I’d prefer to wait until the 2 clubs have agreed everything. I’m not making any demands, I just want to go out on loan and have the chance to play. I’m staying at Southampton until Thursday afternoon. Then, I will return to Strasbourg. I won’t sign anything before the weekend because I came to England without my agent. I was surprised by the interest from Southampton given that I’m injured, but I’m really delighted.”

Also interesting on there that the fans seem to think he has a lot of potential and are slightly unhappy that he's leaving, but it seems he may be a bit of a "hothead" and that he may have fallen out with the coach.

I think it sounds like Gasmi is on his way.

Found the following on this Innernet forum http://www.racingstub.com/page.php?page=forumThread&msg=603587, which I have translated.

Gasmi discute avec Southampton

Comme indiqué dans notre édition d’hier, Romain Gasmi est, lui, sur le point de s’engager à Southampton (D 2 anglaise) en prêt avec option d’achat (Ndlr : autour d’1 million d’euros). Ce mardi, le milieu du RCS, sous contrat jusqu’en 2010, a passé avec succès la visite médicale, même s’il souffre depuis quinze jours d’une fracture du 5e métatarse du pied gauche et sera encore indisponible six semaines. « J’ai discuté avec le président et l’entraîneur. Ils veulent me recruter. Mais je préfère ne pas m’enflammer et me dire que je suis déjà à Southampton. J’attends que les deux clubs se mettent d’accord. Moi, je ne suis pas exigeant : je veux juste me faire prêter et avoir une chance de jouer. Je reste à Southampton jusqu’à jeudi après-midi. Ensuite, je rentre à Strasbourg. Je ne signerai rien avant la fin de semaine, parce que je me suis déplacé en Angleterre sans mon agent. J’avoue avoir été surpris de l’intérêt de Southampton alors que je suis blessé, mais je suis ravi. »

Gasmi in discussions with Southampton

As mentioned in yesterday’s edition, Romain Gasmi is on the brink of joining Southampton (2nd division in England) on loan with an option to buy (ED: believed to be about 1 million Euros). The Strasbourg midfielder, contracted until 2010 successfully passed a medical this Tuesday, even though he has been suffering from a fractured 5th metatarsal of the left foot for the last 15 days, and will be out of action for a further 6 weeks. “I’ve talked to the Chairman and the Manager and they both want to sign me, but I don’t want to get carried away and say I’m already a Southampton player, I’d prefer to wait until the 2 clubs have agreed everything. I’m not making any demands, I just want to go out on loan and have the chance to play. I’m staying at Southampton until Thursday afternoon. Then, I will return to Strasbourg. I won’t sign anything before the weekend because I came to England without my agent. I was surprised by the interest from Southampton given that I’m injured, but I’m really delighted.”

Also interesting on there that the fans seem to think he has a lot of potential and are slightly unhappy that he's leaving, but it seems he may be a bit of a "hothead" and that he may have fallen out with the coach.

That's pretty much what I read too.

I liked the fact that Jean Pierre Papin described him as the new Zidane.

http://rcstrasbourg.forumpro.fr/depart-f45/depart-gasmi-mathlouti-t3425-25.htm

It's quoted by one of the posters on a RC Strasbourg forum.

I think (using my bad French and babelfish) he is saying that two coaches agree that Gasmi has some psychological problems (probably attitude problems) and that JPP had not helped these by telling Gasmi he could be the next Zidane.

Edited by buctootim

I think (using my bad French and babelfish) he is saying that two coaches agree that Gasmi has some psychological problems (probably attitude problems) and that JPP had not helped these by telling Gasmi he could be the next Zidane.

Yes, JPP was coach before the other two but you're right. I wasn't suggesting Gasmi is the new Zidane - this kind of stuff gets trotted out all the time. Remember when we had both the Latvian and non-league Michael Owen? I just quite liked the quote.