For those who attended both Brum games - a question

saint in Den Haag

As the title suggests, I have a question for those who attended both birmingham games.

I have not seen this new exciting saints side yet (due to living abroad) so am learning about our new young team through posts on this board (thanks people :)).

For all the positives i am hearing about Jan and the way he is getting the team to play, we are still only a few games into the season and there are still unknowns/reservations regarding our new style of play which have been mentioned a few times in posts on this forum - such as:

1). Once the more tactically astute mangers of the league work out our style of play, then the opposition can stop us playing.

2). As good as Jan appears to be so far, we still don't really know how tactically aware he is either - does he change things in order to capitalise on a team's weakness or strength?

So I thought It would be good to hear from the fans who went to both brum games, as maybe these quesitons can start to be answered (although i admit it is still early in the season).

So did brum adapt to a different approach the 2nd time round? Did they try to stop our passing football, close us down all the time?, or put pressure on the weak areas such as the fullbacks? or stop the lone striker? Or did you see saints trying anything different this time round? did Jan learn form the 1st game?

Thanks in advance people. - much appreciated hearing the views of those that went to matches. - and I am moving back to the UK (Reading) from The Hague in a month or so time and i will definately be going see us play - cant wait!!! :)

Edited by saint in Den Haag

As far as I could tell, Birmingham lined up in the same formation as last week, and they attempted to play the same way as well. However, in the first half we had far too much energy for them.

They started better in the second half, had a lot of possession in the first 20 minutes of the second half but did nothing of any note with it.

JP then brought Stern John on and moved McGoldrick out to the right, as we weren't keeping the ball in their half at all unlike the first half and that seemed to work a treat. We saw a lot more of the ball and players were able to get forward to support John and Lallana who seemed to move forward into a more advanced "free role" sort of position. Once we did that, suddenly the energy seemed to return and Birmingham didn't have an answer for it. I remember a 5-minute spell where Birmingham players would take a good look at where they were passing the ball to, and STILL pass it straight to one of our players!

Also, one key thing we did defensively was keep a much closer eye on Phillips. He barely had a kick against both Thomas and Cork.

1). Once the more tactically astute mangers of the league work out our style of play, then the opposition can stop us playing.

2). As good as Jan appears to be so far, we still don't really know how tactically aware he is either - does he change things in order to capitalise on a team's weakness or strength?:)

1) It is very difficult to counter the way we are playing, creating new positions and space, if it were as simple as knowing the way a team play will stop them from playing the 'big four' wouldn't be so called, everyone know's their style of play, due to players quality it is just so difficult to stifle it.

2) I am sure he will have done his homework on each team prior to kick off and have seen changes made during the game

As far as I could tell, Birmingham lined up in the same formation as last week, and they attempted to play the same way as well. However, in the first half we had far too much energy for them.

They started better in the second half, had a lot of possession in the first 20 minutes of the second half but did nothing of any note with it.

JP then brought Stern John on and moved McGoldrick out to the right, as we weren't keeping the ball in their half at all unlike the first half and that seemed to work a treat. We saw a lot more of the ball and players were able to get forward to support John and Lallana who seemed to move forward into a more advanced "free role" sort of position. Once we did that, suddenly the energy seemed to return and Birmingham didn't have an answer for it. I remember a 5-minute spell where Birmingham players would take a good look at where they were passing the ball to, and STILL pass it straight to one of our players!

Also, one key thing we did defensively was keep a much closer eye on Phillips. He barely had a kick against both Thomas and Cork.

Thanks for this steve. - good to hear.

sounds like Mcleish did not have a game plan 2nd time round to stop our passing football and also good that bis sounds like Jan has a good eye for changing things when necessary during a game. - cant wait to see my 1st match at SMS this season.

1) It is very difficult to counter the way we are playing, creating new positions and space, if it were as simple as knowing the way a team play will stop them from playing the 'big four' wouldn't be so called, everyone know's their style of play, due to players quality it is just so difficult to stifle it.

2) I am sure he will have done his homework on each team prior to kick off and have seen changes made during the game

cheers influenced - good points.

guess for people like myself who have not seen us play yet due to being abroad etc, it is hard to actually visualise this play you describe. I remember at the start of the season, people were saying that "total football" sounded good on paper etc - but can it work against the bully boys in the champ etc - but good to hear it can. - as Jan said himself "no matter the game, there's always room to play the ball and play good football" (or words to that effect anyway!! :) )

as far as point 2. - i am sure we all remember managers of old where it appeared that they did not do any homework and would not make changes during the game!! ;)

I noticed in the first half last night that we slowed it down for about the last 10 minutes or so whilst still keeping the ball & making Birmingham have to chase. I think the difference from the 1st half in the league game was that we were playing at the high tempo for the entire half & i think the players were more tired in the 2nd half.

Also Stern John coming on last night helped us in a big way as some of his hold up play was top notch & really took the albeit little pressure that they were putting on us, off. Saying that i don't really rate DMG at right wing & i think it would be better to put Dyer or Lallana there when bringing John on.

Another thing last night which i felt was a good move was moving Surman from left back into the middle although i'm not quite sure Mills was ready for last night. If Skacel does stay then he'd be the better option to bring on at left back when moving Surman into the middle IMO.

Indeed agree with you there Stevo, they certainly tried to rough us up a bit at the start of the second half, but to be honest I think they only had 2 shots in the entire match, first one being around 73 mins, so I wouldn't say it worked particularly well. They did get on top of us a little in the second half, but honestly, I never thought our lead was ever under threat, Cork and Thomas looked very good in the centre of defence last night, whereas the goals we conceded in the league match were very sloppy. I didn't feel we'd make similar mistakes last night, and as has been said before when John came on we retained possession a lot better.

cheers influenced - good points.

guess for people like myself who have not seen us play yet due to being abroad etc, it is hard to actually visualise this play you describe. I remember at the start of the season, people were saying that "total football" sounded good on paper etc - but can it work against the bully boys in the champ etc - but good to hear it can. - as Jan said himself "no matter the game, there's always room to play the ball and play good football" (or words to that effect anyway!! :) )

as far as point 2. - i am sure we all remember managers of old where it appeared that they did not do any homework and would not make changes during the game!! ;)

I think that while it is a revelation to see us playing such good football, we shouldn't forget that our team can also mix it up a bit and get stuck in. It was good to see Gillett especially harrassing anyone in sight, and getting fully stuck into Lee Carsley on occasion. Holmes and Lallana also seemed more than happy to put a foot in on occasions last night. You can see that Carsley really makes Brum tick and all of our midfield were excellent in shutting him down to give him no time on the ball.