Guys who where there, Tell it like it was:

Colinjb

Excellent performance by all 11 players, have to single out Gillett and Lallana though they really did shine. Good to see we carried on where we left of on Saturday and that was without our two first choice central defenders. Cant wait for Saturday.

Can only agree with that - the whole team impressed, but those two in particular were superb. Seeing Lallana's expression as he came off the pitch at the end was great - he quite clearly just loves it.

First game this season, all I can say is WOW! Some of the one/two touch football was simply beautiful.

Lallana, Holmes, Wotton, Cork all outstanding. I actually cannot believe how well we are playing.

Thomas, was awfull though - I have no idea how much everyone else had to drink, but to say he played well is crazy.

But everyone else, well done. You've just earned your club another two season tickets.

Thought Cork was superb, brings the ball out of defence superbly and would make a great combo with Killer, or a super RB.

Lallana is the type of player that if he was Spanish and played in Spain would be in their U21 squad easily and pushing for full squad, but not really appreciated in Britain.

Lee Holmes gets better and better, great first touch, never gives up and good finisher.

Wotton was great, constantly talking, played it simple and got stuck in very well. He must have been unpopular with Brum as they tried to break his leg twice!

First game of the season for me. It is a breath of fresh air having a team that you genuinely believe play for the love of the game.

Was most impressed by Holmes, Lallana and Cork although I thought Wotton did a very good job as did McGoldrick. John did OK when he came on. Its amazing how the ball sticks to him.

Thomas stood out at the start for his questionable distribution but as someone mentioned earlier he started to pass it shorter and markedly improved as a result.

A good win which will breed confidence as will consecutive clean sheets.

Well done.

Southampton are back! Southampton are back! Woah - Woah.....

Blinding! 1st time I've seen us under JP and like a few others VERY impressed.

How the F!*% he's got the "kids" playing like this is unbelievable.

I saw the big, blue RR of, I'd guess, David Gold in the car park at the Chapel end on my way in to the ground.

Him, Sullivan and Brady must have been impressed but so annoyed at our young, lowly paid lads giving their "names" the total runaround for 90 minutes.

I'm gonna watch this lot as much as I can this year.

Hopefully the feelgood factor will be there when the numpty bandwagon/whinging t!ssp$tts start coming again, to drown them out.

We already heard a guy behind us getting frustrated at our possession football, shouting: "Come on boot it up there" (he wasn't being ironic, trust me). Probably one of the same w@nk%rs who know F all bout football and slagged PC and KJ mercilessly too. Gettin used to them now.

We'll have to give JP a pay rise at this rate to keep him never mind the young players!

I remember about a year ago there was a thread about what was the best thing about going to live football. Loads of people mentioned that feeling when you see the green of the pitch for the first time. I especially used to love seeing the nipper practically break into a run when he got that first glimpse. Well, for months, that feeling had been spoiled for me because his shoulders have been down - we'd get to SMS and find our seats, hunkering down for another frustrating afternoon.

Last night it was great - he bounded up the stairs, couldn't wait for the game to get started. It's brilliant to go into the match actually believing that a) the football will be worth watching and b) we might win.

Cork, Holmes, James, Lallana, Gillett for me last night. Anyone else remember that moment when Gillett beat a bloke about twice his size to the header? never mind Spiderman, this bloke can fly!

Funnily enough, I thought that was the worst we have played in pre-season/regular season!

But it was still a delight to see the lads playing for each other, Wotton leading by example and a general togetherness. There's obviously a great spirit in the dressing room....just watching the pre-match warm up and subs at half time....plenty of smiles, bonding and a general look like the lads/players were enjoying themselves.

And to those who said we would be outmuscled.......we outfought, outmuscled and outplayed a very strong Birmingham side.

This Birmingham side was NOT a reserve side....I believe they had 4 chnages (the same as us and we took off 2 of our best players shortly into the 2nd half).

In the 1st half it was great to see some of the passing and moving - Birmingham changed their tactics from the 1st game and sat deep to prevent any room. But, as JP said at the weekend, there's always part fo the game where you can play football and Saints did that with great effect last night.

How JP has got this bunch of rookies playing as he has done is nothing short of a miracle - and it's fantastic to watch. Hopefully this will continue throughout the season but for all the stay aways - get down to St Marys: these kids deserve all of our support and you'll be royally entertained.

I thought the whole team played great with confidence and no fear dont think we lumped it up the field at all tonight they where great at retaining possesion and had brum chasing shadows Gillet was like a paul scholes always wanted the ball good range of passing i know spiderman was playing out of position but he looks a proper player llalana is magic great goal holmes full of running and energy wotton grate game really enjoyed it more of the same please

Holmes for me is a real find. Confident on the ball and always involved. Cork at the back looked promising and also Gillet is looking good with his terrier like workmanship.

On the whole a very good performance and we were not overly troubled by brum. McGoldrick is a slight concern as his first touch and control were a little dodgy but perhaps this was because he was pushed out a liitle wide which does not look his natural position.

Good performance though and can see them turning over many sides this seasons.

Holmes for me is a real find. Confident on the ball and always involved. Cork at the back looked promising and also Gillet is looking good with his terrier like workmanship.

On the whole a very good performance and we were not overly troubled by brum. McGoldrick is a slight concern as his first touch and control were a little dodgy but perhaps this was because he was pushed out a liitle wide which does not look his natural position.

Good performance though and can see them turning over many sides this seasons.

All the nonsense on here when he was signed by fans saying their Derby mate say he's gash or if SFC need him we are in trouble.

Get done to st marys sit back and be entertained

fans were fantastic

Bart- 7 not much to do one sharp save and looked far more comfortable than doyle in the birmingham goal

James -7 looked better defensively than usual less good going forward

Cork -9 oozes class great signing

Thomas-7 thought he played well but a few very misguided headers and passes put us under pressure

Surman- 8 won the ball and got forward but did fade in midfield

Holmes -10 deceptvely quick great goal good crossing fiesty tackler

Gilett - 10 was every where edje of the area blocking shots and a fantastic passer where was he last season

Lallana -9 good goal looked wasted on the right looked better in the hole

Wooton - 8 kept it simple the glue which held the team together

Schneiderlin - 6 didnt effect the game

mcgoaldrick -8 held the ball up well and was lively

mills 6 looked ok

john 7 held the ball up well

jan 10 fantastic football knew when to bring john on

Best game ive watched in a long time. One touch football was awesome to watch and very effective. Excellent defensive display, which im not normally used to from saints. Bart only had to make 1 save all game (from what i can remember). Credit to the whole team for an amazing display of quality football. Cant wait til the next game.

There were lots of oooohs and aahhhhhs at the brethtaking style of play (passes and back filcks etc). And then amazingly groans of dissapointment when a few balls went astray.

We are on the road to total football. We are being treated and must remmber to be patient and not to expect too much. This is a new young side and they will encounter rough patches.

Agreed. There were also some nobs shouting out "do something with it" when we were passing it backwards...they were doing something with it...keeping the ball! The opposition can't hurt you without the ball...

And the confidence of the players in the centre even when it was crowded to take a touch...pass first time...or go round a player then release the pass really was a joy to watch...fearless stuff...the likes of which i really can't associate with all my years watching Saints...

And it's the fearless attitude to keep playing their game even when a few passes go astray that really encourages me to believe we're going somewhere here...

Keep it up Saints!

Thought Cork was superb, brings the ball out of defence superbly and would make a great combo with Killer, or a super RB.

Lallana is the type of player that if he was Spanish and played in Spain would be in their U21 squad easily and pushing for full squad, but not really appreciated in Britain.

Lee Holmes gets better and better, great first touch, never gives up and good finisher.

Wotton was great, constantly talking, played it simple and got stuck in very well. He must have been unpopular with Brum as they tried to break his leg twice!

Totally agree with the praise re Wotton. Whenever I saw him play in the past I thought the player to have on your side. I am fully behind the Yuf but you need Wotton involved as much as possible as the season goes on..Injury permitting..Iknow Argyle already regret letting him walk..

As the poster Causer states in his team stats for last night when giving reference to Wotton THE Glue would seem appropriate for such a Young side.

Obviously adding the likes of Svensson and Perry and the blend comes together. WELL DONE JP and Coacing staff.

I saw the big, blue RR of, I'd guess, David Gold in the car park at the Chapel end on my way in to the ground.

Would that be the one with the registration 'D GOLD' ? It didn't look blue to me but that was under the street lights.

I agree, he must have been disappointed with the way that his team played. By the end of the game they looked completely p!ssed off.

We noticed it too, why is that? We used to have the best playing surface in the country. Now it's not up to the standard of the football.

I actually thought the ball had gone out of shape at the end as it was oscillating in the air and bumping along the pitch. We still bossed it, though. A truly excellent performance.

Thomas made mislaid passes throughout and won few of his aerial battles against smaller men.

He also kept dropping deep when the rest of the defence pushed up and played people onside.

He was useless tonight! Im shocked some people thought he played well.

Everyone else was great :D

I have to say i agree with this. He was definately the weak link. The guys behind me were making comedy out of his performance, maybe thats why i noticed things more. There were alot of laughs lets say!

One word.....FANTASTIC

Actually one word doesn't do that performance justice - FANTASTIC FANDABBIDOZY

I have been very critical of Lowe and Wilde so far, but Poortvliet has finally delivered us a team which has gelled, who play for each other and more importantly, the head coach and the fans.

WHICH IS ALL WE HAVE WANTED FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.

If haven't been down to St Marys to see this side yet, do so now...

Message to Rupes and Mikey - get some cast iron bits into Poortvliet's contract - don't risk losing him.

Message to GB - our Dutch Master is making you look like an amateur...

Message to Not so SKP - HaHa....!!!! You never got a touch...well less of one than your wife did....

One word.....FANTASTIC

Actually one word doesn't do that performance justice - FANTASTIC FANDABBIDOZY

I have been very critical of Lowe and Wilde so far, but Poortvliet has finally delivered us a team which has gelled, who play for each other and more importantly, the head coach and the fans.

WHICH IS ALL WE HAVE WANTED FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.

If haven't been down to St Marys to see this side yet, do so now...

Message to Rupes and Mikey - get some cast iron bits into Poortvliet's contract - don't risk losing him.

Message to GB - our Dutch Master is making you look like an amateur...

Message to Not so SKP - HaHa....!!!! You never got a touch...well less of one than your wife did....

Oh, and to the miserable, moaning old ba**ards in Block 32 of Kingsland (estimate Row E) - get a life and get behind them FFS...

It seems that they all enjoy playing together, which is nice to see. I think the new striker is something we needed, also, maybe one or two more then I think we're complete. Some mentioned when the pitches get rougher, I'm sure JP has got it sorted and can switch the style of play, we saw on the bumpy pre-season pitches that Spiderman and Gillet can play nice direct balls to the forwards and the wingers.

I just hope this is the start of things for the club.

We played well, and like many of you the football finally put a smile back on my face. This is the first Saints team I have seen with genuine movement off the ball, making the sacrificing run to free up play for others.

I have seen Gillett play many times in the reserves and he is one player I would pay money to watch, he never gives up and always wants the ball, Cork also had a good game.

Unfortunately McGoldrick’s first touch is worse than BT’s and I am not sure if he is a forward suited to this system, I also thought that the fall backs needed to get to the by-line more. All IMHO.

After this game I am still undecided about the league, but with willing performances like this St. Mary’s is a place we can finally watch some decent football, although i think that most of the credit should go to Prost.

W

Unfortunately McGoldrick’s first touch is worse than BT’s and I am not sure if he is a forward suited to this system.

I would agree with everything that you have written except that - I have been pleasantly surprised by some of his deft touches.

We played well, and like many of you the football finally put a smile back on my face. This is the first Saints team I have seen with genuine movement off the ball, making the sacrificing run to free up play for others.

I have seen Gillett play many times in the reserves and he is one player I would pay money to watch, he never gives up and always wants the ball, Cork also had a good game.

Unfortunately McGoldrick’s first touch is worse than BT’s and I am not sure if he is a forward suited to this system, I also thought that the fall backs needed to get to the by-line more. All IMHO.

After this game I am still undecided about the league, but with willing performances like this St. Mary’s is a place we can finally watch some decent football, although i think that most of the credit should go to Prost.

I dont agree with your criticism of MCG.He is a mobile and quick thinking forward, that has a good understanding of his fellow forward players.

• 4 months later...
Stumbled across this thread from August 08 whilst tracing back through some posting history via the Man Utd post-match thread.....

One question: What went wrong?

Interesting question considering the glowing feedback!

What was our defence that day?

And I'd have to say two things: 1. McGoldrick going off the boil, 2. Teams have now learnt how to play us. But anyone else any better ideas?

Disagree. Plan A still works against opposition that come and attack (Reading / Birmingham etc).

Plan A doesn't work against teams that put 10 men behind the ball and lump it up to a big man. Problem is there are more of these teams in the Championship than not. This explains why our away form is much better than our home form - because teams have to attack us.

Personally, I don't think we have the personnel for Plan B.

Disagree. Plan A still works against opposition that come and attack (Reading / Birmingham etc).

Plan A doesn't work against teams that put 10 men behind the ball and lump it up to a big man. Problem is there are more of these teams in the Championship than not. This explains why our away form is much better than our home form - because teams have to attack us.

Personally, I don't think we have the personnel for Plan B.

From results we don't have the personnel or manager for plan A or B

Plan A was still surprising the opposition.

Plan A has now been well and truly sussed out by the opposition.

There is no Plan B.

I was thinking exactly the same last night. We have been sussed out basically and can't seem to mix it up or change the game plan.

I dont agree with your criticism of MCG.He is a mobile and quick thinking forward, that has a good understanding of his fellow forward players.

Thanks for reviving this thread - nickh's comment gave me a genuine LOL moment, almost spat my coffee out

What went wrong? Nothing.

It is the same as it was, just that teams in the CCC were still sussing us out. Now they have and we're playing the same stuff.

There IS only one plan. There are too many changes. Lowe (as Cork has told us) is not allowing JP to pick the side but introducing Club Policies on player selection. JP STILL doesnt understand enough about the league or teams within it to make a difference.

And one more point.

When this thread was written the kids were fearless - and I think we still had Svensson at the back with other MEN - the kids are losing week in week out... they may still be battling away but life has left the supporting crowd, they fear SMS, they are absorbing gradually the losing mentality that Lowe has been famous for.

In sum, the coach and board are broken, the nippas are now sussed out by real footballing teams and we the fans are leaving in our droves.

they are absorbing gradually the losing mentality that Lowe has been famous for.

Jeez - will that be the same famous losing mentality that saw us to Cardiff an few years ago/ FFS we got relegated, bloew tha cash under GB, now have to sell, and use cheap kids - its tough, it hurts, but FFS it IS STILL ONLY football FFS. Get over yourself.

Sorry... forgive me I must have missed the fact that Lowe has delivered us to European football and glory. I must be in a different world...

hang on I'll check the last few months of results...

No I'm right! Lowe relegated us once before and will again. Loser.

Jeez - will that be the same famous losing mentality that saw us to Cardiff an few years ago/ FFS we got relegated' date=' bloew tha cash under GB, now have to sell, and use cheap kids - its tough, it hurts, but FFS it IS STILL ONLY football FFS. Get over yourself.[/quote']

To be honest, you seem to be getting a bit worked up. Chill out, it's only football.

For what it's worth, I can see what Robbie is getting at. Rupert has always been very conservative in his thinking, the club was always set up to try and avoid failure, not to push for success. Hence always budgeting to come fourth bottom etc.

If you aim low and miss, there's only ever going to be one outcome.

To be honest, you seem to be getting a bit worked up. Chill out, it's only football.

For what it's worth, I can see what Robbie is getting at. Rupert has always been very conservative in his thinking, the club was always set up to try and avoid failure, not to push for success. Hence always budgeting to come fourth bottom etc.

If you aim low and miss, there's only ever going to be one outcome.

Exactly right.

Have to say, if I type from the hip and express myself passionately at times it is done for a love of a club... and the pride of what it has been an can be again.

Not only football. Pride.

We wouldnt be posting on here - any of us - if it were only football.

Exactly right.

Have to say, if I type from the hip and express myself passionately at times it is done for a love of a club... and the pride of what it has been an can be again.

Not only football. Pride.

We wouldnt be posting on here - any of us - if it were only football.

Well keep it football then. Rupert Lowe's losing mentality? Good grief...it's obsessional...not that you're the only one of course...

Well keep it football then. Rupert Lowe's losing mentality? Good grief...it's obsessional...not that you're the only one of course...

Yes but, leadership in any club starts at the top and works down. Its the same anywhere - but in sports teams and places like the Armed Forces it is even more important that the leadership is good enough as they have to compete TOGETHER as a team for success or failure, and consequences of failure are disasterous for those that support them. They are more akin than businesses.

So get the top right, and the rest follows. Yes it is a bit obsessional, but when the reason for failure stares at you every day and is allowed to continue it is a tadge frustrating.

... I do comment on the footy too occassionally ;)

Edited by SaintRobbie