3rd round CC

paulwantsapint

But an "easy" team at home means another game and more £££££s eventually,

any TV money for the later rounds of the Carling?

Also don't forget the prize money you get for winning each round. I know it's not an awful lot but the further you get the more it adds up. IMO it would be better to have 2 more "easier" draws at SMS & then get a big draw at home.

From a fairly selfish point of view, I'd like Arsenal away, as I've not been to the Emirates yet.

We're not going to win the competition, there is very little prize money available for the Carling Cup and fans across the country clearly aren't too fussed by it either. Get a big money pay-day from a 60,000 crowd, probably a one or two goal defeat and then we can concentrate on what's most important, the league.

From a fairly selfish point of view, I'd like Arsenal away, as I've not been to the Emirates yet.

We're not going to win the competition, there is very little prize money available for the Carling Cup and fans across the country clearly aren't too fussed by it either. Get a big money pay-day from a 60,000 crowd, probably a one or two goal defeat and then we can concentrate on what's most important, the league.

LOL.

You sound like some of the Brum fans I know!!

Almost anybody will do, but at St Marys. Because playing at St Marys brings in the cash for Saints. This isn't the FA Cup where the attendance money is shared 50/50. I'd prefer a team we are likely to beat because we will always get a tougher team to play in the latter stages. And anyway, we get more money by winning, by having another game to play. And I'd prefer us to get to the latter stages anyhow. Gives us plenty of practice to play Total Football experimentally without farting about with the league position. Which means I don't want ManU away or even at home. Why make things difficult..?

The carling cup is the same as the FA cup, 45% to each club and 10% to the pool account. See 19.1.1 in this article:

http://www.carlingcup.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Rules/0,,11995,00.html

The carling cup is the same as the FA cup, 45% to each club and 10% to the pool account. See 19.1.1 in this article:

http://www.carlingcup.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Rules/0,,11995,00.html

I have to acknowledge you've done your homework, mate. I assumed [should never do it, normally I check if I'm not sure] that the attendance receipts would be the same as for League matches.

I still hold to the opinion that there is very little point in having big, powerful opposition at an away fixture. Pointless. We almost might as well declare ourselves out of the competition unless we have a go at winning it, and the best chance of that is playing at home, against the weakest opposition the draw can give us. That gives us the best chance of making money too. Eventually, the latter stages of the competition itself will generate the bigger attendances.

Of course people may be of the opinion that a big payday at OT or the Emirates might be worth the one match, and it means Saints could concetrate on their league form. But for me it does two things. 1] It gives exposure of our young gifted players on a big stage, and 2] It almost certainly stops any winning run that may have built up.

Once a winning run starts, it can build up a head of steam. It happens, due to confidence building, and any professional will tell you it's worth points to league form too. So I'd like Saints to stay in the competition for as long as possible.

I have to acknowledge you've done your homework, mate. I assumed [should never do it, normally I check if I'm not sure] that the attendance receipts would be the same as for League matches.

Why do you think the club always make a big hoo ha about agreeing ticket prices with the opposition on the O\S?

To be honest I really don't care who we get for once it is just nice to be in the hat for the next round!

I still hold to the opinion that there is very little point in having big, powerful opposition at an away fixture. Pointless. We almost might as well declare ourselves out of the competition unless we have a go at winning it, and the best chance of that is playing at home, against the weakest opposition the draw can give us. That gives us the best chance of making money too. Eventually, the latter stages of the competition itself will generate the bigger attendances.

Of course people may be of the opinion that a big payday at OT or the Emirates might be worth the one match, and it means Saints could concetrate on their league form. But for me it does two things. 1] It gives exposure of our young gifted players on a big stage, and 2] It almost certainly stops any winning run that may have built up.

Once a winning run starts, it can build up a head of steam. It happens, due to confidence building, and any professional will tell you it's worth points to league form too. So I'd like Saints to stay in the competition for as long as possible.

I would guess that the big clubs would reduce the ticket prices in a similar fashion to other clubs. Therefore the gate reciepts will probably be a lot less than anticipated. Whereas, if it is at St Marys, we would get a full house at full rate aginst someone like Man Utd.

Full list of 3rd round teams following last night's results:

Prem:

Manchester Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Skates

Everton

Tottenham

Manchester City

Stoke City

Newcastle United

Wigan Athletic

Middlesborough

Fulham

Sunderland

West Ham

Blackburn Rovers

Aston Villa

CCC:

Southampton

Burnley

Cardiff City

Ipswich Town

Derby County

QPR

Swansea City

Watford

Reading

Sheffield United

League 1:

Crewe Alexandra

Hartlepool United

Leeds United

Northampton Town

League 2:

Rotherham United

Any of the league 1 or 2 teams home or away except Leeds for me. Don't want another CCC team but if i had to choose it would either be Derby or Burnley at home. From the prem i wouldn't mind somebody like West Ham or Wigan at SMS.

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Teams currently in the hat for the 3rd round:

Prem:

Manchester Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Skates

Everton

Tottenham

Manchester City

Stoke City

Newcastle United

Wigan Athletic

Middlesborough

CCC:

Southampton

Burnley

Cardiff City

Ipswich Town

Derby County

QPR

Swansea City

Watford

Reading

League 1:

Crewe Alexandra

Hartlepool United

Leeds United

Northampton Town

League 2:

Rotherham United

Playing tonight:

Huddersfield Town Vs Sheffield United

Nottingham Forest Vs Sunderland

West Ham United Vs Macclesfield Town

Blackburn Rovers Vs Grimsby Town

Fulham Vs Leicester City

one more team please!

Arsenal at home wouold be a cracker IMO. Wenger would play his kids against ours and I think it would be a real cracker of a game and a chance for our lads to show they are better than theirs.

As much as our kids are playhing well at the minute and we should all be proud of them, Arsenal kids are a class above.

They regularly get to the Carling Cup Final playing their youngsters. I seem to remember them destroying Blackburn at Ewood last yr.

Arsenal away.

Seeing as we (my work) have a box there.

Even considering that your work has a box there, I don't understand this reasoning. The chances are that Saints would lose, and you wouldn't enjoy it. Or would you be hoping for the spectacular, once in a blue moon, Arsenal screw-up..? :confused:

Great draw. two games in south yorks in a week (Donny on the saturday after)

Winnable.

First trip to watch football at Don Valley.

Chance to put our awful record against League 2 teams in this comp to bed - we've lost to Masfield, Notts County and Peterborough in the last 3 years!

C'mon you reds!

Oh dear, that is a terrible draw. Rotherham are very strong this year. Will be a real test for us.

Strange how some people hold this view whilst others think we can go to Fratton Park and give Pompey a good rodgering.

Personally I'm pretty happy. If we play to our potential, we should win this tie, and surely a good cup run makes the most financial sense. If we do get through this and get a trip to old Trafford in the QF, we'll have made a nice tidy sum I reckon.

Arsenal v Sheff Utd

Brighton or Man City v Derby

Burnley v Fulham

Portsmouth v Chelsea

Blackburn v Everton

Rotherham v Southampton

Swansea v Cardiff

Ipswich v Wigan

Stoke v Reading

Leeds v Hartlepool

Watford v West Ham

Man Utd v Middlesbrough

Liverpool v Crewe

Aston Villa v QPR

Sunderland v Northampton

Newcastle v Tottenham

No chance of getting Pompey in the next round then....