Saints sign young Czech striker Tomas Pekhart on loan from Spurs

Wildgoose

Does anyone else think our squad is better than last season?

Ok mainly made up of inexperienced youngsters but they all want to play their hearts out and we have the experience of Perry and Svensson in the defense and signing two quality loan signings which we should have done the past two seasons (R Wright excluded).

I have to say though I have got a good feeling about this season!

Does anyone else think our squad is better than last season?

Ok mainly made up of inexperienced youngsters but they all want to play their hearts out and we have the experience of Perry and Svensson in the defense and signing two quality loan signings which we should have done the past two seasons (R Wright excluded).

I have to say though I have got a good feeling about this season!

Certainly is a lot better, we have players who are hungry and want to play football and the style of football is brilliant to watch. We have played five games now with three wins and two losses, of the two losses we deserved a point from the Cardiff game, just came unstuck from a last minute goal and against Birmingham we played them of the park in the first half and should of been two or three up at half time. Seems this team is playing better with each game.

Tomáš Pekhart (born May 26, 1989) is a Czech footballer currently on loan from Tottenham Hotspur to Championship club Southampton. He has represented the Czech Republic at U-16, U-17, U-18, U-20 and U-21 level, and plays as a striker.

Born in Sušice, Czechoslovakia, he began his career with his hometown club TJ Sušice and also played for TJ Klatovy before joining Slavia Praha in 2003. Pekhart played in the final of the UEFA Under-17 Championship in Luxembourg for his country against Russia.[1] He scored seven times in 18 appearances at that level in 2005-06 competition.

Pekhart joined Tottenham during the summer of 2006 from Slavia.[2]A fine first season for the young Czech striker in 2006-07 yielded 19 goals in 20 matches for Tottenham Academy and a further 12 appearances for the reserves. Only injury denied him the chance to improve that strike record. He also scored in Tottenham's Reserves' friendly win against RC Lens in November, 2006.

In 2007 he represented his country in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Canada as the youngest player in the squad having just turned 18. He played in all seven matches of the tournament, including the final against Argentina in which the Czechs finished runners up after Mauro Zarate scored the winning goal four minutes from full time for Argentina.[3] Recently he has been picked for the U-21s and despite being younger than most others in the squad he has managed to score 6 goals in 7 matches.

On 26 August 2008, Pekhart joined Championship side Southampton on loan until January 2009.[4]

I doubt it, he has been involved with the first team a lot so far, unlike Euell, Skacel, Thomas etc who we are trying to get rid off.

Three senior strikers and Patterson waiting in the reserves is a decent amount for the squad considering John can play a bit deeper and McGoldrick can play on the right.

Spot on m8 :)

I've not seen this lad play and neither have many of us who read this forum I would imagine.

His stats look impressive though and if he could transfer his current strike rate to the ccc we'll be up before xmas!

Seriously though when our new "vision" was first laid out by Michael Wilde on the OS I can remember he mentioned getting some quality loan players in. Jack Cork, from what I saw tonight looks very able.

I remember when Brum went up 2 seasons ago Bendtner, Larsson and Muamba, all on loan from Arsenal were vital to them. As was Frazier Campbell for Hull last season as they went up.

If we can get the right young players, on the "up" in their careers (ala Bale, Walcott when we had them), then this sort of loan could be good business.

According to the OS - "There was only one club Spurs wanted to send him to".

Spin? Or are we really regarded that highly now that we've made the youth our number one priority?

all part of the Bale write-off?

Romain Gasmi ?

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/247070/Sport-Gasmi-piste-par-Southampton.php

via google translate...

The club Southampton (English second division) likes to make its market in Strasbourg.

After Morgan Schneiderlin recruited in early summer, a second player of the RCS is in the line of fire of English: Romain Gasmi.

The mid offensive 21 years, currently injured foot, is "party there to visit the facilities," confirms Jean-Luc Herzog.

"Southampton contacted us and it could be assisted with an option to purchase.

"An event made possible because Romain Gasmi is not in the plans of Jean-Marc Furlan.

On a hypothetical arrival of Kandia Traore in Strasbourg, the Director General and Racing are still in discussion with the player and Sochaux.

Edited by pedg

you are kidding. If not have you seen the games and the saves our number 1 has made ?

ps did you see the howler Wright made for Ipswich on saturday, if KD had done that he'd be slaughtered on here.

Just winding you up. I'm sure you're Kelvin himself anyway...

Tomáš Pekhart (born May 26, 1989) is a Czech footballer currently on loan from Tottenham Hotspur to Championship club Southampton. He has represented the Czech Republic at U-16, U-17, U-18, U-20 and U-21 level, and plays as a striker.

Born in Sušice, Czechoslovakia, he began his career with his hometown club TJ Sušice and also played for TJ Klatovy before joining Slavia Praha in 2003. Pekhart played in the final of the UEFA Under-17 Championship in Luxembourg for his country against Russia.[1] He scored seven times in 18 appearances at that level in 2005-06 competition.

Pekhart joined Tottenham during the summer of 2006 from Slavia.[2]A fine first season for the young Czech striker in 2006-07 yielded 19 goals in 20 matches for Tottenham Academy and a further 12 appearances for the reserves. Only injury denied him the chance to improve that strike record. He also scored in Tottenham's Reserves' friendly win against RC Lens in November, 2006.

In 2007 he represented his country in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Canada as the youngest player in the squad having just turned 18. He played in all seven matches of the tournament, including the final against Argentina in which the Czechs finished runners up after Mauro Zarate scored the winning goal four minutes from full time for Argentina.[3] Recently he has been picked for the U-21s and despite being younger than most others in the squad he has managed to score 6 goals in 7 matches.

On 26 August 2008, Pekhart joined Championship side Southampton on loan until January 2009.[4]

Sounds extremely encouraging. 6 goals in 7 for the u21 is especially pleasing given he's actually only 19. I reckon we could have a gem here.

He was impressed with the team last night too!

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10503

Sounds extremely encouraging. 6 goals in 7 for the u21 is especially pleasing given he's actually only 19. I reckon we could have a gem here.

He was impressed with the team last night too!

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10503

He's even got the accent already - "I want to play for the first team, but there definitely be competition".

Interesting that Spurs said they wanted him to come to us. Obviously no hard feelings with Rupe's then after the Hoddle saga:-)

Reading the Derby Match threads when most pointed out that we could do with a goal machine, and then reading the OS article comments by Hockaday it seems like this could be the equivalent of a real early Christmas present. Our style of play and a goal poaching machine.

Jeez WTF is going on? Things seem to be sensible and thought about since JP came on the scene.

Whatever next? PA or Sheikh Mo coming in? Really can't stand all this positivity we are Saints fans we are supposed to be permanently surrounded by doom and gloom.

First sentence is interesting.

[]A new striker is the missing piece of the jigsaw next piece bwp off to plymouth

BWP to Plymouth? Please be true! Luggy's had a bit of trouble attracting players to the West Country so how about Euell as well?! Come to think of it, maybe Anthony Pulis is missing the West Country so perhaps Stoke could send him there and not land us with a donkey amongst our young, hungry team?

BWP to Plymouth? Please be true! Luggy's had a bit of trouble attracting players to the West Country so how about Euell as well?! Come to think of it, maybe Anthony Pulis is missing the West Country so perhaps Stoke could send him there and not land us with a donkey amongst our young, hungry team?
and were you one of the fans who thought Holmes was no good because the Derby fans had said so? Give the bloke a chance he may be rubbish but so far Jans/RL's (take your pick who chose them)signings have been good.

Spurs supporter at work says Pekhart shows plenty of promise but has lots to learn. Hopefully he will provide height up front and another goalscoring option - surely better than Pericard or others we might have gone for under the old regime

and were you one of the fans who thought Holmes was no good because the Derby fans had said so? Give the bloke a chance he may be rubbish but so far Jans/RL's (take your pick who chose them)signings have been good.

Erm no, I had an open mind on Holmes, particularly as we beat competition from Leeds and Forest to sign him and both clubs have signed some decent players this summer (as have we based on early performances). Pulis has only ever been signed by his dad, has made a dreadfully low amount of token appearances at each club Pulis Snr has managed and to be honest I think if he was going to join it would have been part of the Davies deal. I've seen plenty of BWP and Euell though and I know that not having them on the payroll would be good for SFC, if it means they join a CCC rival even better!

Spurs supporter at work says Pekhart shows plenty of promise but has lots to learn. Hopefully he will provide height up front and another goalscoring option - surely better than Pericard or others we might have gone for under the old regime

Ideal for us, the player and Spurs then and a good chance if he's any good of an extension until the end of the season. Wonder if he'll feature V Blackpool?