our youngsters played beatifully...Derby press

NickG

Agree that we should be looking forward but for the life of me I can't see why Pearson is so reviled amongst some fans on here. Have people got so entrenched in their anti Lowe/anti wilde/anti Crouch/anti McMenemy stances that they actively seek to slag off and denegrate a decent man who did a good enough job for us and may or may not be a significantly lesser manager that the current incumbant.

For crying out loud, Pearson, on current evidence, is not as good a manager as Poorvielt but he's not as bad as some would make him out to be. He inherited a demotivated, unfit team and managed to eventually turn things around. If you were to ask me which manager I'd prefer then of course, on current performances, say Poortvield in a heartbeat but I'm eternally grateful to a decent, honest, hard working manager who did a good enough job in short time.

Well said Daren. As usual the voice of reason.

Yep. Seconded.

What he said!

This is going to be a long season and after a stylish win over a Derby (with a lacklustre team and management-remind you of any team last two years?) side that could easily have scored a couple against us, we need to be cautious. Still I reckon the future really is looking bright, so thanks to NP for his efforts and Stern even more for the goal that saved our skins. Now the only thing is to back Jan and his team.:)

Agree that we should be looking forward but for the life of me I can't see why Pearson is so reviled amongst some fans on here. Have people got so entrenched in their anti Lowe/anti wilde/anti Crouch/anti McMenemy stances that they actively seek to slag off and denegrate a decent man who did a good enough job for us and may or may not be a significantly lesser manager that the current incumbant.

For crying out loud, Pearson, on current evidence, is not as good a manager as Poorvielt but he's not as bad as some would make him out to be. He inherited a demotivated, unfit team and managed to eventually turn things around. If you were to ask me which manager I'd prefer then of course, on current performances, say Poortvield in a heartbeat but I'm eternally grateful to a decent, honest, hard working manager who did a good enough job in short time.

I agree with parts of what you say but am not sure why you have highlighted my post to make your comments. Are your critical comments aimed at me? I have not slagged Pearson off anywhere.

I would have accepted him continuing as our manager -mainly because its clear we wern't in a position to go for a 'big name' or a well thought of 'up and coming' candidate. But I fail to see how his record can be considered as anything but mediocre, even 'under the circumstances'. To say he eventually turned us round is not true. We steadily dropped from 18th to the bottom three and by the last day even a win could not guarantee our survival.

Other managers have achieved significantly better results from similarly bad or worse positions. Check out Billy Davies record at Preston and Derby (4th bottom when he took over, top of league by January before spending any money). Or this year with Neil Warnock getting a desperate Palace team from the bottom 4 places to something like one loss in 15 games immediately (mainly wins I believe) and up to the play offs. They are managerial feats worth celebrating - the fact the men involved might also be 'honest and hard working' is nothing to do with it. Its only about results - I expect Dodd and Gorman were honest and hard working yet they got 5 games before being punted.

I don't agree with slagging Pearson off, he did his best after all, but the reason some do is not hard to understand. Take a look at this thread. It is a welcome thread about positive comments from outside the club on how well we are playing under OUR CURRENT COACHES, and yet some are still more interested in looking back to Pearson and imaginary injustices.

Pearson was a 'fire fighter' brought in to stop the leaky defence, he just about managed it, and then he moved on. Why cant some of our fans do the same and accept what we have?

Good post. I would add that they are very different managers and although Poortvliet has got the side playing extremely well, I wonder if he would have been able to keep that demoralised Saints side of the tail end of last season in the Championship - impossible to say.

Good post. I would add that they are very different managers and although Poortvliet has got the side playing extremely well, I wonder if he would have been able to keep that demoralised Saints side of the tail end of last season in the Championship - impossible to say.

That's a good point, and I think it needed NP's character to dig us out of it. I for one am grateful for that and feel he handled himself with excellence. Seems a top bloke but back on topic JP certainly seems the man to keep our youngsters playing the way they've begun.

As you rightly point out, Pearson was Crouch's man, whereas JP is Lowe's man. Therefore there are some who will try and rewrite history to show him in a bad light.

After three league games, two 1-goal defeats in games we would not have expected to win, and a 1-goal win in a game we might have expected to lose, doesn't tell us a lot about how this team might do, but the way they are playing their football tells us more than the results so far. JP was ridiculed by some people for his mention of total football but his style of play looks like it will bring results.

To those who are still struggling with Lowe's replacement of Pearson with JP, it is very doubtful that the JP revolution could have been carried out last February in time to avoid the drop, whereas Pearson did the right things in plugging the hopeless defence. But if Crouch had stayed on, and Pearson was still manager, whilst we might, or might not, be doing better than last year, its certain we would not have the exciting team we now have out on the pitch.

After three league games, two 1-goal defeats in games we would not have expected to win, and a 1-goal win in a game we might have expected to lose, doesn't tell us a lot about how this team might do, but the way they are playing their football tells us more than the results so far. JP was ridiculed by some people for his mention of total football but his style of play looks like it will bring results.

To those who are still struggling with Lowe's replacement of Pearson with JP, it is very doubtful that the JP revolution could have been carried out last February in time to avoid the drop, whereas Pearson did the right things in plugging the hopeless defence. But if Crouch had stayed on, and Pearson was still manager, whilst we might, or might not, be doing better than last year, its certain we would not have the exciting team we now have out on the pitch.

As a fan for many years I have not wanted to see many favourite players leave but very soon after a new player, a new team and we are off and running.

It was the same with Manager Pearson at Saints. I thought he did well under the circumstances and was sorry to see him go. I have always believed in the youth and like many others, I have been converted to JP and his coaching/management style. More importantly after all the hype about Total Football, we are now starting to see his own style being produced on the park.

Totally agree with your statement... The exciting team we now have out on the pitch. Long may it continue. Thank you JP and you can say, alright then, thank you Mr Lowe. There I said it.. Now get us sorted regarding the finances, please.

After attempting to explain the difference between 'Total Football' and the 'attacking football' under Nicholl, I hope some of you are now seeing the marked difference between the two.

Not saying that I am of a higher understanding or anything like that, just that there is a marked difference between the two. Having the players to play either of these two systems is key, and so far, I think we have people that can pass the ball accurately to a team mate six yards away and then not be afraid of playing the wide man in rather than play directly to goal. Then, having played the wide man in, adding himself to the numbers in the box, looking for the knock down or the rebound.

This style of play is most exciting when executed well and most embarrassing when it is played badly, just ask the Dutch.

We are all Saints fans and enjoy seeing the team play well. However, lets not get hysterical because we have won a match. The real test for RLs Total Football whatsit will be if we achieve the playoffs in the next two years and whether we can hold on to any of these players when they start to get noticed.

It will be interesting to see what happens to-night.

As you rightly point out, Pearson was Crouch's man, whereas JP is Lowe's man. Therefore there are some who will try and rewrite history to show him in a bad light.

Maybe some will, but then maybe you should address them directly, rather than make vague comments that could be interpreted as being directed at anyone not in agreement with your views on Pearson.

My opinion of him is he was 'OK' and did 'just about enough' and nothing more. I harbour no ill feeling against him or any desire to slag him off. But this thread is supposed to be about Poorvliet, it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Pearson. Its supposed to be a positive thread looking at the praise the team got after our first win. It's only those who are obsessed with the past that have changed it into an argument about a former manager.

'Rewriting history'? OK so Pearson alone was faced with hardship?

When Pearson took over how many of the teams around us had players that were not demoralised? Not too many I would guess. I think many of the oppostion managers actually envied the players Pearson had available to him, and the chance to bring in 5 loans of his own choice.

Some rewrite history and forget that even under D&G the first 2 or 3 games got a lot of praise from many on here. The players were said to be 'a team' again so were hardly 'totally demoralised' at that stage. Even after the shocking cup game against Rovers the players said they felt they had 'let the manager down' and were determined to 'put it right' in the next game.' D&G did not get a next game though. Were D&G 'treated awfully' like Pearson is supposed to have been? Or is 5 games enough to condemn 'decent, honest and hard working' men?

Take a look at this site and see how Leicester fans 'greeted' Pearsons imminent arrival.

http://www.footballfancast.com/blog/leicester-city/nigel-pearson-the-right-man-leicester-city/4193

We are all Saints fans and enjoy seeing the team play well. However, lets not get hysterical because we have won a match. The real test for RLs Total Football whatsit will be if we achieve the playoffs in the next two years and whether we can hold on to any of these players when they start to get noticed.

I agree its too early to get carried away but this thread is about being pleased at the performance during our first win. I don't see that as 'getting hysterical.'

There will be plenty of times ahead when will be brought back down to earth but why not enjoy any good moments along the way.

After so many years of under achievement its good to be able to cheer something positive at last. I think the difference this year is many have very little expectation of promotion (no matter what Poortvliet says) so can just enjoy the way they are playing at times. Almost anyone in the championship could reach the play offs, but I dont think that is a fair benchmark for assessing Poortvliets ability, as we are working on a bare miminum and survival is an achievement in itself.

I am not expecting anything but a long hard season ahead. Our team is new, fresh and exciting, but I would be delighted with a mid table position this year. Anything else is a bonus.

But next season......................who knows?

Agreed but what is interesting is that people are now looking forward to games to see how far we are progressing rather than fearing another poor performance and "tonking"!

And look what they're saying now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A40038275

The link you gave showed a handful positive comments after a good start to the first 3 games of the season. I can't see how anyone could criticise that start so of course they are happy enough now. But lets not forget they are playing teams a league lower than they are used to and are joint favourites for promotion anyway.

I hope Pearson does well for them, and he has nothing to apologise to saints for, but I wont lose any sleep if he doesn't get Leicester back up as is expected. He is in our past and I care more about our team's coaches than Leicester City's.

Whilst I am happier with JP than when he was announced, I still think that NP would have done a great job here this season.

hypothetical I know -but who would you think would -same circs -done best this season? I would guess JP at moment

I agree with parts of what you say but am not sure why you have highlighted my post to make your comments. Are your critical comments aimed at me? I have not slagged Pearson off anywhere.

I would have accepted him continuing as our manager -mainly because its clear we wern't in a position to go for a 'big name' or a well thought of 'up and coming' candidate. But I fail to see how his record can be considered as anything but mediocre, even 'under the circumstances'. To say he eventually turned us round is not true. We steadily dropped from 18th to the bottom three and by the last day even a win could not guarantee our survival.

Other managers have achieved significantly better results from similarly bad or worse positions. Check out Billy Davies record at Preston and Derby (4th bottom when he took over, top of league by January before spending any money). Or this year with Neil Warnock getting a desperate Palace team from the bottom 4 places to something like one loss in 15 games immediately (mainly wins I believe) and up to the play offs. They are managerial feats worth celebrating - the fact the men involved might also be 'honest and hard working' is nothing to do with it. Its only about results - I expect Dodd and Gorman were honest and hard working yet they got 5 games before being punted.

I don't agree with slagging Pearson off, he did his best after all, but the reason some do is not hard to understand. Take a look at this thread. It is a welcome thread about positive comments from outside the club on how well we are playing under OUR CURRENT COACHES, and yet some are still more interested in looking back to Pearson and imaginary injustices.

Pearson was a 'fire fighter' brought in to stop the leaky defence, he just about managed it, and then he moved on. Why cant some of our fans do the same and accept what we have?

I used your post as it was the most intelligent of the posts regarding Pearson that were "less complimentary."

In my mind there can be no doubt Pearson inherited a terrible squad, unfit and under motivated. It took a while but a least under him they fought hard and showed some spirit... something they never showed under Burley or D&G.

I have no doubt not so ever that we are miles better under the new management team but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a man who did a job for us and showed more grit, determination and sheer dignity that the previous six managers... put together...

I just bitterly resent the Burley/Lowe revisionists who slag him off purely because they view him as Crouch's appointment. The portrayal of him as some cloth capped hoof merchant isn't just insulting its very, very wrong.

I cannot understand why there is any slating of Pearson. As others have said, he took an unmotivated, high maintenance squad and at least managed to get us to safety. We were on a major downturn when he took over and it would have been a struggle for whomever took over.

In much the same way he was nowhere near as good as some have made out, he was nowhere near as bad as others have made out. He came across as a decent, hard working kind of guy but I'm far more enthusiastic about JP and MW!

Green Tree Frog:

My opinion of him is he was 'OK' and did 'just about enough' and nothing more. I harbour no ill feeling against him or any desire to slag him off. But this thread is supposed to be about Poorvliet, it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Pearson. Its supposed to be a positive thread looking at the praise the team got after our first win. It's only those who are obsessed with the past that have changed it into an argument about a former manager.

I quite agree. It is a thread about Poortvliet. But if there are going to be those who are going to hijack it to suit their own agenda, then it must be expected that others will respond to put their side. Blame the idiot who originally came on just to say that Pearson was crap. I can't be arsed to scroll back to check who it was.

And thanks Daren. Very well put.

100% agree

I used your post as it was the most intelligent of the posts regarding Pearson that were "less complimentary."

In my mind there can be no doubt Pearson inherited a terrible squad, unfit and under motivated. It took a while but a least under him they fought hard and showed some spirit... something they never showed under Burley or D&G.

I have no doubt not so ever that we are miles better under the new management team but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a man who did a job for us and showed more grit, determination and sheer dignity that the previous six managers... put together...

I just bitterly resent the Burley/Lowe revisionists who slag him off purely because they view him as Crouch's appointment. The portrayal of him as some cloth capped hoof merchant isn't just insulting its very, very wrong.

I quite agree. I simply cannot believe there are some that criticise Pearson who really did inherit (thanks mainly to Burley) a side in freefall. JP seems (against my expectations) to be doing a good job but that doesn't mean NP would have done a bad job.

Incidentally talking of Crouch - Leaving Pride Park I bumped into someone who had been in his company during the game and apparantly LC was full of praise about how well Saints had played and was really enthusiastic about the future. That was nice to hear as it would be easy for him to mope and to be critical of Lowe's experiment.

Cest la Vie... when experiments work they are seen as visionary, when they fail as foolhardy. Pearson did a fantastic job in keeping us up against the odds yet this to was a risk by LC - as JP is now for Lowe and Wilde.

Its a question of your own philosophy versus the need for rapid success in football - I love the ide of experimenting and trying innovative things, but in the modern game the pressure for instant success is so great from fans, financial and importantly survival, that experiments with unproven approaches make us all nervous! The great thing is though it also makes the pleasure of success that much more enjoyable - imagine a saints side playing stylish attacking football AND getting the points!