Lowe vindicated

scooby

You mention LM getting the vitriol. He has made mention of it in describing the walk along the touchline to the dugout. And boy, did he used to get it!

Thank heavensthe board didnt listen to fans pressure then. Can you imagine how the forum would be in those days. If fans think swing Lowe was tiugh they should have seen what LM went through, from the tunnel past the dockers in the East stand all the way to the dug out.

For all the criticism I have thrown at LM he has my utmost respect in how he proudly walked along the touchline without flinching.Top stuff.

Thank heavensthe board didnt listen to fans pressure then. Can you imagine how the forum would be in those days. If fans think swing Lowe was tiugh they should have seen what LM went through, from the tunnel past the dockers in the East stand all the way to the dug out.

For all the criticism I have thrown at LM he has my utmost respect in how he proudly walked along the touchline without flinching.Top stuff.

The amazing thing from my view on the Milton Road corner/tunnel I could see young boys and grown men spitting all over his clothes and he is about 6'4"

I really don't know how he restrained himself each game.

Mind you some posters on here have been behaving quite badly towards him in the last year or so.

The amazing thing from my view on the Milton Road corner/tunnel I could see young boys and grown men spitting all over his clothes and he is about 6'4"

I really don't know how he restrained himself each game.

Mind you some posters on here have been behaving quite badly towards him in the last year or so.

I make no bones about criticising him since he left us circa 1985 ish.

But I like many others would like to see the back of all three of the unwise monkeys.

So the same one-note thinking prevails among the flat caps? May I remind you that this club almost was relegated and went into administration after Lord Lowe was forced out during the Night of the Long Knives? And may I also remind you that since his return, we have been utterly transformed as a team with a setup that he alone is responsible for.

Guest Hacienda
So the same one-note thinking prevails among the flat caps? May I remind you that this club almost was relegated and went into administration after Lord Lowe was forced out during the Night of the Long Knives? And may I also remind you that since his return, we have been utterly transformed as a team with a setup that he alone is responsible for.

So you're not going to answer the other part of that post then? The part that points out that it was Wilde and not Crouch who spunked the money.

Thought not.

To be replaced by who? Anyone? No one? A fans committee on a rota basis? Fact is, this sort of 'wish' is just a fantasy, as were the 'billionaire' rumours that were foisted on us over the past two years. We have what we have got, we should be glad its better than what we had before and leave the future to take care of itself.

SO the club dies with Rupert because no one else in the whole world could do such a great job

All I am asking is for us to be a little bit more gentle with our legends.

Don't worry, Ottery. There's plenty of us who appreciate the very many brilliant things that LM did for this club. He did the one little thing of leaving when he realised he couldn't take Saints any further at the time, and decided to put some money in his pocket by going to Sunderland.

You'd have thought it was a criminal offence the way some people regard his actions of the time. Lawrie's OK, and his achievements completely overshadow any failings.

Don't worry, Ottery. There's plenty of us who appreciate the very many brilliant things that LM did for this club. He did the one little thing of leaving when he realised he couldn't take Saints any further at the time, and decided to put some money in his pocket by going to Sunderland.

You'd have thought it was a criminal offence the way some people regard his actions of the time. Lawrie's OK, and his achievements completely overshadow any failings.

agreed but you will incur the time polices displeasure because events pre 1997 do not exist in the brave new world

agreed but you will incur the time polices displeasure because events pre 1997 do not exist in the brave new world

I'm well aware of that 70's Mike.

Do you know they used to play football before the Premiership existed..? No, I'm really not kidding. Unbelievable, isn't it..?

Edited by St Landrew

I'm well of that 70's Mike.

Do you know they used to play football before the Premiership existed..? No, I'm really not kidding. Unbelievable, isn't it..?

i wonder if they know that the majority of the crowd used to stand up to watch a game, getting into the ground 2 hours before kick off.

must be a lie

i wonder if they know that the majority of the crowd used to stand up to watch a game, getting into the ground 2 hours before kick off.

must be a lie

i dont know what this "football existed before the prem/1997" is supposed to mean?

of course it did, but that was a generation ago for many I guess...

You complain about people waging a so called 'class war' with reference to RL and yet, as one of his 'chosen few' you have the obnoxious temerity to take a 'class war' atitude to others who have not!

It's a shame because you spoil what might otherwise be viewed as fair points of view.

So you're not going to answer the other part of that post then? The part that points out that it was Wilde and not Crouch who spunked the money.

Thought not.

You should know by now that Scooby doesn`t answer awkward questions. He just sticks his empty head above the parapet, lobs his stupidity-grenade and ducks back down for cover.:smt048(Just used the smiley cos I like it.)

Thought not.

Utterly irrelevant. Lord Lowe needed Going Wilde's voting block in order to be able to return. With Lowe present, he is able to keep Wilde's propensity to spend under control.

Guest Hacienda
Utterly irrelevant. Lord Lowe needed Going Wilde's voting block in order to be able to return. With Lowe present, he is able to keep Wilde's propensity to spend under control.

So the fact that you spouted off about Crouch spunking the money is totally and utterly wrong is irrelevant is it?

Have I missed something? Another load of twaddle from Mr Twaddle himself.

SO the club dies with Rupert because no one else in the whole world could do such a great job

To suggest I proposed this indicates that either you didn't read the post properly or you deliberately chose to misinterpret it. Every professional club has a chairman of the board, or an owner and they can all 'do the job', but some do it better than others.

SFC does not currently have anyone queuing up to take over the running of the club, so if the current board members walked away, just who do you think would step into the role?

It is possible, of course, that Leon Crouch, or Mary Corbett, or anyone else with a shareholding might take the chairman's job, or maybe they could find another Ken Dulieu figure, but if you, Mike, are proposing the 'anyone but Lowe' approach, I can only say it is simple lunacy. Hopefully that is not what you are saying.

This does not mean that there should never be a change, but as I have consistently said in all these debates, CHANGE NEEDS TO BE FOR THE BETTER, NOT FOR THE WORSE. I really don't care who runs this club as long as that person is competent with adequate experience and contacts in football. I don't see how anyone could look at the last 3/4 months and accuse Lowe and Wilde of being incompetent. When a better option is on the table, then I'm sure shareholders and fans will support it but until then fans just need the current board to get on with the job and so far, things look a lot better than this time last year. Enjoy the game tomorrow - I will.

May I rmind you that Lowe and his miss-management of the club started the downward trend of the club.

May I rmind you that Lowe and his miss-management of the club started the downward trend of the club.

May I remind you that you are wrong.

Well Rupert took responsibility for relegation from the Premiership. He said so himself. He even offered to resign, but it was not accepted by the Board. I think that's where people might be getting their ideas from.

Btw, let's not get into a slanging match people, please.

i think you will find sturrock was appointed the seaso before..;)

For me, Sturrock's sacking, sorry leaving by mutual agreement, and the chaotic appointment of Steve Wigley was, the if only moment of then and subsequent seasons. I firmly believe we would have not been relegated if Sturrock had stayed on, even though we lost Michael Svennson to injury. After that, who knows..?

EDIT: Of course, people will say hindsight is a wonderful thing. But I criticised the Wigley appointment from day one knowing it was wrong.

Edited by St Landrew

For me, Sturrock's sacking, sorry leaving by mutual agreement, was the if only moment of then and subsequent seasons. I firmly believe we would have not been relegated if he had stayed on, even though we lost Michael Svennson to injury. After that, who knows..?

i think we would have gone down with sturrock.....I have lived in Plymouth for the last 8+ years and have seen what he can do first hand...he was great in (what is now) league 2 and league 1 BUT in the CCC he is dreadful...look at Plymouth, just go on PASOTI and see what he most vocal supporters think about him...he is their greatest manager and they are turning against him..they are not fickle it is just that he is no good...

I know Plymouth have sold players (alot) BUT he has got in more than 10 players of HIS choice...he now wants BWP to solves his lack of goals...I mean COME ON!!!!!!

he was also sacked at sheff wed too in this league..

what I find hillarious is when people laugh off hoddle saying "look at what he did at wovles" etc then go on to say Sturrock is a good manager..

he took over from WGS and the team at the end of the season (imo) was WGS team that had " a shot in the arm" that all new managers bring...

much like when he took over from holloway last season with ollies team

luggy and his football beling to league 1 and below....and this is from someone who has seen him drag plymouth from nowhere to the CCC...sadly, many plymouth fans agree with that statement...

i think we would have gone down with sturrock.....I have lived in Plymouth for the last 8+ years and have seen what he can do first hand...he was great in (what is now) league 2 and league 1 BUT in the CCC he is dreadful...look at Plymouth, just go on PASOTI and see what he most vocal supporters think about him...he is their greatest manager and they are turning against him..they are not fickle it is just that he is no good...

I know Plymouth have sold players (alot) BUT he has got in more than 10 players of HIS choice...he now wants BWP to solves his lack of goals...I mean COME ON!!!!!!

he was also sacked at sheff wed too in this league..

what I find hillarious is when people laugh off hoddle saying "look at what he did at wovles" etc then go on to say Sturrock is a good manager..

he took over from WGS and the team at the end of the season (imo) was WGS team that had " a shot in the arm" that all new managers bring...

much like when he took over from holloway last season with ollies team

luggy and his football beling to league 1 and below....and this is from someone who has seen him drag plymouth from nowhere to the CCC...sadly, many plymouth fans agree with that statement...

Fair enough TDD. Let's agree to disagree on that one. Having seen some of the games Saints played with Sturrock in charge, I would say he was prematurely got rid of. Man City at Eastlands 3-1. Wolves at Moulineux 4-1, where Claus scored his first goal. Sturrock didn't have long, but he made an impression. I thought he deserved far better treatment, and more of a chance back then. But that's history and today is the reality.

I can't even remember off hand how many managers he was ago..!

But unlike Lowe,Crouch didnt have the resources of the Premiership and the Sky money to fall back on.

Different league, different rules. You don't need money to succeed in the mickey mouse -- see what Lord Lowe is doing right now with the Golden Duo.

Different league, different rules. You don't need money to succeed in the mickey mouse -- see what Lord Lowe is doing right now with the Golden Duo.

Scooby....seriously, you brighten up this board..

keep it up mate...(I do agree with most of your points)

I would not go as far as calling Lowe "lord lowe" but each to his own...:smt082

Guest Hacienda
The mismanagement under Crouch's reign of terror was downright criminal.

So the mismanagement under Wilde was OK or was our current chairman also gulity of mismanagement?

Guest Hacienda
Scooby....seriously, you brighten up this board..

keep it up mate...(I do agree with most of your points)

I would not go as far as calling Lowe "lord lowe" but each to his own...:smt082

Jamie, this is the same bloke who used to write on 606 how he hoped Saints would lose.

I have read all of this and frankly most of it is prejudiced mush. I see no point in dragging over historical events as to how we got here from 2003 and who to blame it is only important in how move on. We are already a laughing stock after Burley.

Passing over how a two up two down retirement home can take over a premiership club run along the lines of Stoneham Golf Club (sorry showing one's age and no disrespect to SGC) this is not about class divides or other outdated notions this is an issue about the competence of Lowe and Cowan to run a football club. Sorry only about 2 out of 10.

The position at present (and by the way I have seen ALL games this season except Derby and watched all reserve games last year as in previous years) is that we have a chance of doing well in the short term leaving aside the arguments about the longevity of this current level of performance from a side with a very low average age if you exclude Michael and Chris Perry.

We currently have a few happy punters (like me) paying their money in spite of the Club selling Andrew Davies and loaning out some players that we should perhaps keep for the long road of the Championship season and what do we get get an unproven midfielder with no track record. It can only be the pillock Lowe. Are we really going to drop Gillet or Wootten or Lallana to name a few to play this guy?

Shneiderlin Cork hopefully Gasmi and now Pulis this does not hang together - Lowe vindicated you are having a laugh we are back to spying on Strachan and complaining about Sturrock drinking coffee and sacking him at Staplewood.

Help but three points tomorrow.

As it is 45 years since Dr Martin Luther King but saints supporters have a dream and it does not involve these two clowns.

I will of course give Mr Pulis jr. every chance as ever

I have read all of this and frankly most of it is prejudiced mush. I see no point in dragging over historical events as to how we got here from 2003 and who to blame it is only important in how move on. We are already a laughing stock after Burley.

Passing over how a two up two down retirement home can take over a premiership club run along the lines of Stoneham Golf Club (sorry showing one's age and no disrespect to SGC) this is not about class divides or other outdated notions this is an issue about the competence of Lowe and Cowan to run a football club. Sorry only about 2 out of 10.

The position at present (and by the way I have seen ALL games this season except Derby and watched all reserve games last year as in previous years) is that we have a chance of doing well in the short term leaving aside the arguments about the longevity of this current level of performance from a side with a very low average age if you exclude Michael and Chris Perry.

We currently have a few happy punters (like me) paying their money in spite of the Club selling Andrew Davies and loaning out some players that we should perhaps keep for the long road of the Championship season and what do we get get an unproven midfielder with no track record. It can only be the pillock Lowe. Are we really going to drop Gillet or Wootten or Lallana to name a few to play this guy?

Shneiderlin Cork hopefully Gasmi and now Pulis this does not hang together - Lowe vindicated you are having a laugh we are back to spying on Strachan and complaining about Sturrock drinking coffee and sacking him at Staplewood.

As it is 45 years since Dr Martin Luther King but saints supporters have a dream and it does not involve these two clowns.

Ive read it twice and I've still no idea what you're on about.

Probably 'two steps forward and four back' would have done it. I was trying to respond to a number of random threads within this topic

The above comment makes no sense. How can an exciting young team, winning 2 consecutive games against sides that were in the Prem last season be anything other than an improvement on the tired squad of journeymen that almost managed to be relegated in May? For responses to be meaningful they should take account of fact.

And I thought I could waffle.