Hats off to Lowe

TopGun

I agree he appointed GB and George did a good job when Lowe was chairman however it was under Wilde that too much money was spent on overated players

What are you on about? We flirted with relegation the first season when Burley took over from saggy chops, we reached the playoffs the season Wilde was in charge!!

Well, one option was already in place, but one reason given for disposing of his services was that JP and Wotte cost less combined than Pearson. So were they employed because they were cheap, or because they were the only options deemed to be capable of this football "revolution"?

On the basis that Lowe was prepared to disregard stability, if we are taken over and the new people want to install their own manager, I'm quite happy to disregard my former stance that stability is what is best for the club as the current regime have been true to form and been the biggest force for instability and disruption in the club's history. So they shouldn't be too upset if they themselves or their appointees are the victims of change too. Whether any future new manager continues the style of play employed by JP remains to be seen, but then he would be a mug not to play any player on merit and to observe how that player is most effective. The main benefit of new owners ought to be that they have the option of keeping those beneficial elements and addressing any deficiencies and holes in the squad.

I bet you gavecrouch credit for pearson...even though crouch appointed TWO lots of managers!!

I could not care less about the politics..all i care about is what happens on the pitch and rightly, will praise and thank those in charge should this pay off as much as I will be ****ed off should it go wrong...

I bet you gavecrouch credit for pearson...even though crouch appointed TWO lots of managers!!

I could not care less about the politics..all i care about is what happens on the pitch and rightly, will praise and thank those in charge should this pay off as much as I will be ****ed off should it go wrong...

My views are well documented on the subject of Lowe, Crouch and Wilde. I want all of them gone from the club and that includes all the others who hang on Lowe's coat tails too.

Were Dodd and Gorman appointed as manager? I had thought that they were effectively caretakers.

I'm really happy about the team and manager, it seems they are generating some real excitement and that is great.

However to wipe the slate clean with Lowe after 3 games is hugely premature.

I for one want to see:

>If he won't crumble as soon as any bid comes in for any of our players.

>If he can keep a stable managerial environment for several seasons.

>If he can undo his previous damage and get us back to the prem.

If he can do those then I'll bury the hatchet but I'm a long way from thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

PS Congratulations to the team and manager on their fantastic performance yesterday.

My views are well documented on the subject of Lowe, Crouch and Wilde. I want all of them gone from the club and that includes all the others who hang on Lowe's coat tails too.

Were Dodd and Gorman appointed as manager? I had thought that they were effectively caretakers.

no, they were talking as if they had the job fo rthe foreseeable future...and I believe crouch said such things without actually giving them the "title" of managers

when pearson came in it was all a rush job after the bristol rovers game...

also, I dont think ANYONE is talking about wiping the slate clean with lowe, just fans (who slate him quick when he is wrong) are big enough to acknowledge that this may be a good thing for the club....in my book, he still has a lot to do to right many wrongs but this is a good start IMO

Yes, I did. But that does not mean that I cannot change my mind about him when he proved to be useless. It is because of high hopes of him that I am more bitterly disappointed that he turned out to be no better than Lowe and now the two of them are in charge together.

Yes it is not easy to run a club whose fans have unrealistic expectations but it does show courage in admitting mistakes and agreeing to work with Lowe again.

I always thought he was a little niave in thinking how easy it would be to run SFC and get investment.

I still do not think Lowe is as bad as people make out but is probably not right for SFC because of the bad feelings most of the fans have against him.

What are you on about? We flirted with relegation the first season when Burley took over from saggy chops, we reached the playoffs the season Wilde was in charge!!

GB Burley had the team playing well at the end of the first season in the Championship I realise that we as you say flirted with relegation .

I think I was trying to put across the point that Burley was not a bad manager as chosen by Lowe.

It was only last season when Lowe/Wilde were not involved that he performed badly

I think we are both in agreement

I'm really happy about the team and manager, it seems they are generating some real excitement and that is great.

However to wipe the slate clean with Lowe after 3 games is hugely premature.

I for one want to see:

>If he won't crumble as soon as any bid comes in for any of our players.

>If he can keep a stable managerial environment for several seasons.

>If he can undo his previous damage and get us back to the prem.

If he can do those then I'll bury the hatchet but I'm a long way from thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread.

PS Congratulations to the team and manager on their fantastic performance yesterday.

Agree 120% with all of that

The test for me will be what happens this week before the transfer window closes ...and arguably what happens in Jan 09

GB Burley had the team playing well at the end of the first season in the Championship I realise that we as you say flirted with relegation .

I think I was trying to put across the point that Burley was not a bad manager as chosen by Lowe.

It was only last season when Lowe/Wilde were not involved that he performed badly

I think we are both in agreement

Burley massively underachieved and wasted a shed load of cash the whole time he was here IMO.

The problem with Lowe is that he always made some good decisions, but he has more than balanced that with some truly appalling decisions, and of course lead us to relegation. His problem is and always has been lack of investment, along with his smugness alienation of the supporter base. I will give credit to Lowe for appointing JP who I have grown to like, on the other hand I think it was disgusting the way he treated Pearson, who I also liked very much. The day whe Lowe and especially Wilde (and Crouch) have nothing more to do with this Club cannot come soon enough for me, but that doesn't have to mean getting rid of JP, I really believe this guy could work wonders if he actually had some funds as well. Still at the end of the day we have currently won 1 league match against a team that has not won for almost a year, lets not get carried away just yet.

The problem with Lowe is that he always made some good decisions, but he has more than balanced that with some truly appalling decisions, and of course lead us to relegation. His problem is and always has been lack of investment, along with his smugness alienation of the supporter base. I will give credit to Lowe for appointing JP who I have grown to like, on the other hand I think it was disgusting the way he treated Pearson, who I also liked very much. The day whe Lowe and especially Wilde (and Crouch) have nothing more to do with this Club cannot come soon enough for me, but that doesn't have to mean getting rid of JP, I really believe this guy could work wonders if he actually had some funds as well. Still at the end of the day we have currently won 1 league match against a team that has not won for almost a year, lets not get carried away just yet.

why if he has bettered him, on lower money surely he has done the right thing for the club?

Not as if NP was a long standing legend

why if he has bettered him, on lower money surely he has done the right thing for the club?

NP won 3 games in 17 or so...arry got slated for doing more in that time....

NP is not a great manager at all...we had the tools to be out of the mire before the last day of the season..

if we sign a top quality RB and drop current rb is that bettering our team or treating player disgustingly?

It was a considered improvement -which so far looks like being very good decision

like saying Benali was treat appallingly when he was dropped/sent on loan when bridge hit the scene..:D

Lowe has done what a Chairman has to do, find a manager that will that will fit a clubs set up. He knew the first thing he was going to do was slash the expenditure and keep costs low by getting rid of a lot of players and relying on cheaper players. So he had to find a manager that could work with this, but that’s his job, he has not invented a new way of running a club or a revolutionary setup.

He has cut costs and found a manager that will try to get the best out of what’s left. JP is getting the results, not because of the set up but in spite of it.

Its early days yet and long may it continue but this Lowe back slapping is all a bit embarrassing.

Good post, but I will argue that JP is getting the best of things, because of the set up. All these youngsters are used to playing a system very similar to what JP is employing and without that, I really doubt we would be seeing what we are now.

The Lowe back slapping is equally as embarrassing as the Lowe back stabbing, lets hope the team make it all irrelevant.

It appears to me that some people want to give Lowe credit for JP, and yet when it comes to Redknapp and Burley it is the Mangers themselves who get the stick. You cant have it both ways, if he gets credit for JP, he must take the blame for the Redknapp and Burley( and Wiggley)........

Well, one option was already in place, but one reason given for disposing of his services was that JP and Wotte cost less combined than Pearson. So were they employed because they were cheap, or because they were the only options deemed to be capable of this football "revolution"?

I didn't realise that Lowe had to go all the way to Holland to find somebody who was cheaper than Pearson. Obviously if JP was the only manager in the world who would work for what Lowe was offering then Lowe deserves no credit at all as the decision was forced on him.

He took a huge risk, and I really don't believe that JP and Wotte are together significantly cheaper than NP, that was just spin to help explain an unpleasant (but necessary from Lowe's pov) action. So far JP has won one league game. I am liking the guy, but its rather early days to say he is significantly better than NP who inherited a completely dispirited and unfit team from Burley and Dodd/Gorman and took some time to take it out of freefall. Take a look at the League One table, early days again I know, but 7 points from 9 for a dispirited Leicester is a reasonable start. NP and JP are clearly very different animals, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The similarity though is that both are very good with young players and both I believe would have been good candidates to work with the team in current circumstances.

Things are looking good, but as many on here remind us day after day lets not get carried away after 3 games.

Its still only one win but its the way we are playing that is pleasing many fans.

Yes I will praise Lowe, just like I praised Crouch at times.

Maybe some of you should give more credit to Wilde because without his support Lowe would still be history

VERY early days.

THe test will come, IF JP is sucessful..........will Lowe learn from his previous mistakes and hang on to a decent manager? Or will JP be sucessful with us and then move on because Rupert won't back his future plans?

Edited by WealdSaint

It appears to me that some people want to give Lowe credit for JP, and yet when it comes to Redknapp and Burley it is the Mangers themselves who get the stick. You cant have it both ways, if he gets credit for JP, he must take the blame for the Redknapp and Burley( and Wiggley)........

valid point -but some are trying to give him the previous blame with no credit -works both ways.

As I said earlier, forget the pathetic childish sulking, this is not a pantomine -he is neither hero or villian

I find that difficult to say but his appointment of JP to lead and mentor our young team is looking bloody good currently. I am sure we will will have a few hiccoughs along the way but it's all looking rosy on the pitch right now. And the team can only get better.

Am I the only anti-Lowe guy prepared to give credit where it's due?

Yes.

We've won one game. It's still too early to make this judgement.

If we start showing genuine promise, the club is still very weak and vulnerable to big clubs coming along and cherry-picking not only the players but also the manager.

Keeping a successful squad together is going to be as big a challenge as making the squad perform in the first place.

Yes.

We've won one game. It's still too early to make this judgement.

If we start showing genuine promise, the club is still very weak and vulnerable to big clubs coming along and cherry-picking not only the players but also the manager.

Keeping a successful squad together is going to be as big a challenge as making the squad perform in the first place.

Can't win with you at times Alps.

Guest Hacienda

He knows best though, with not going to the games 'n all.

Gives him a special insight.

Lowe can win with me by returning us to the Premiership with good football and by keeping his fat arrogant mouth shut to the press in the meantime.

Sorry, I am dead chuffed with yesterdays events, but I am not willing to be a gushing sycophant on the back of one result.

And with all due respect to you Rich, and to Hacienda, my comments are hardly more controversial than many others on this thread.

Given our size, we will always be a selling club. However if the fans can back the club by getting through the turnstiles and raising the income levels, and the outgoings are stabilized - we may then be in a position where we don't have to give away our players to get the wages off the books.

This is so true - re the 'selling club' situation, and not unique to Saints. Walcott and Bale were good examples, but throughout the game, if a player looks exceptional, one of the big spending clubs will be in for him. And its not a situation that the club can change, whoever is in control.

Surman's possible move the Reading, even though at a different level, is an example. If the buying club offer enough money, and the player wants to move because he gets a cut of the fee and a pay rise, the selling club have little choice.

To be fair, how many fans were on the forums of the time complaining bitterly about either Redknapp's or Burley's appointment? Very few as I recall. It could be argued that while some of Lowe's bad decisions were disagreed with by fans (Wigley) others were things that fans were happy for him to do. (Not that I am arguing that he did them BECAUSE fans wanted him to do it, it is more that what seemed like good decisions, even to the fans, turned out to be poor ones) This merely proves how difficult the whole business of being chairman is - as Wild and Crouch discovered. This is why I have no part in slagging off Lowe and had no part in slagging off Wilde or Crouch either. It is the easiest thing in world to make decisions behind the anonimity of a keyboard when you never have to answer for it. Not that I have a problem with people expressing opinions - it is the bile and vitriol I dislike.

Kin ell LoL at all the Lowe lovers having a field Day after one win;)

I wonder if they will be singing to the same hymn sheet if you lose the next two or three:roll:

I thought part of the skates terms that they werent able to come on the main board.

Of course, we should not forget that Lowe set up the academy because he foresaw that we would not be able to buy top talent so we would have to nurture and develop it. Some of the players get sold, of course, (and provide some cash) but we are seeing the fruits of that foresight today. We have a young, exciting team that plays well together because they know each other - and they cost relatively little. This was Lowe's plan that Redknapp refused to buy into (remember that Mansfield fiasco where he hung them out to dry) and Burley was apparently scared to buy into.

Lowe now, whether by good luck or by good judgement, seems to have a manager (or coach) who can build the first team out of that.

Let's enjoy and, as previously posted, hope we can keep them beyond the transfer window and through January.

Of course, we should not forget that Lowe set up the academy because he foresaw that we would not be able to buy top talent so we would have to nurture and develop it.

Just like Lowe invented the FA Cup and managed the England team to victory in 1966. Lowe set up the academy because he was told too, its mandatory for top flight teams to have one.

My praise goes to the coaches and the players and if the Directors get a mention then reluctantly I would say you have many goes at appointments and you appear to have got it right with JP. That is hoping and praying that we continue onwards and upwards.

Any mention of Woodward and Clifford brings me out in a cold sweat as it was far too much money for something that may or not have happened 4/5 years down the line with shed loads of money.

Trust the fact that Woodward has had no imput for the sucess of this Olympics and apart from a few words of encouragement he has had a watching brief.Lets concentrate now on the set up and move forwards. We do not need him and in my opinion, as stated the cost made it impossible.

I was a fan of Pearson and remain so but always felt that JP is with us now and I support the whole package. Well done JP more of the same from our youngsters and some of the old daddies.

Of course, we should not forget that Lowe set up the academy because he foresaw that we would not be able to buy top talent so we would have to nurture and develop it. Some of the players get sold, of course, (and provide some cash) but we are seeing the fruits of that foresight today. We have a young, exciting team that plays well together because they know each other - and they cost relatively little. This was Lowe's plan that Redknapp refused to buy into (remember that Mansfield fiasco where he hung them out to dry) and Burley was apparently scared to buy into.

Lowe now, whether by good luck or by good judgement, seems to have a manager (or coach) who can build the first team out of that.

Let's enjoy and, as previously posted, hope we can keep them beyond the transfer window and through January.

first paragraph another attempt to re write history, sorry no one under 30 played for the club before 1997

Guest Hacienda
Of course, we should not forget that Lowe set up the academy because he foresaw that we would not be able to buy top talent so we would have to nurture and develop it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that statement.

Couple of things that have come up in conversations about Saints over the weekend.

Necessity is the mother of Invention

We had no choice but it looks like we MAY have made the right one.

How long Gillet for example will make the previous mangement (and most of us) look "almost numpties" for saying he was too lightweight? Who knows but let's rejoice for another week at least.

How would Arsenal fans react IF they were told they would appoint an unknown manager who would repeatedly sell their big stars and replace them with unknown youngsters?

OK excluding say Silvestre, and the fact they haven't won anything for a few years, Wenger is building a team of youngsters with pace flair and togetherness and let the likes of Anelka, Viera, Henry et al move on. Not saying it is the right comparison but it is not far away.

I said on TSF that I would wait until the LOAN window closed before I would think about making judgement calls on JP or the return of Lowe. I DO think that Lowe firmly believed that the academy WAS the way to go with a level of excellence from the bottom up. I also think that what he has TRIED to do now is to establish a "CULTURE" in the club, (I also think he believed this 5 years too early!) but where the process of bringing the kids through is far more important than (as I think) in his mind "The big name manager".

IF it hangs together then I THINK the concept of a MACHINE that new "coaches" fit into is actually superb. A new guy brings in new ideas to improve what we had, rather than the (what is seeming sad) way of bringing in a new "Name" and all his cronies to do it "his way". We (and many other clubs) have only really had one of those that worked in the past years...

Maybe, just maybe Lowe has learnt that managers come and go, but a CULTURE and a process and systems may just be the way forward for our future

Scary to think that the "no gaffer mentality" may actually be our future... eek

I am very pleased we won yesterday but lets not get carried away yet.

Actually AS, after what we have had to put up with, I think we deserve a bit of 'getting carried away' - let's be optimistic for a change.

I may need to wash my mouth out afterwards but I'm with Alpine on this one - at least partly.

One win does not make for vindication just as one defeat should not constitute a crisis. Those getting ready to prostrate themselves before the prodigal son of Southampton Football Club should really wait a little bit longer before bringing out the fatted calf and the big, sharp knife. Similarly those musing over the third word in the last paragraph of Jan Poortvliet's statements to the press should probably lighten up a little bit.

The players have done fantastically well but they need to do it all season long. Hopefully they can keep it going all season and the board can keep the books balanced without feeling the need to sell anyone else. The signs are really good but we want a good season, not just one good game. Let's put the champagne (and the hemlock) on hold for a bit, shall we?

If people on here invested half of the emotional intensity in their support that they do into whipping up an air of impending disaster or triumphant vindication, then the team would have the support it needs to push on. If everyone who took time to question the team selections actually went to the games they could when they could, we'd get full houses every game.

Instead of starting new civil wars on here, why aren't you all re-investing this new-found positivity by queueing up down the ticket office?

I may need to wash my mouth out afterwards but I'm with Alpine on this one - at least partly.

One win does not make for vindication just as one defeat should not constitute a crisis. Those getting ready to prostrate themselves before the prodigal son of Southampton Football Club should really wait a little bit longer before bringing out the fatted calf and the big, sharp knife. Similarly those musing over the third word in the last paragraph of Jan Poortvliet's statements to the press should probably lighten up a little bit.

The players have done fantastically well but they need to do it all season long. Hopefully they can keep it going all season and the board can keep the books balanced without feeling the need to sell anyone else. The signs are really good but we want a good season, not just one good game. Let's put the champagne (and the hemlock) on hold for a bit, shall we?

If people on here invested half of the emotional intensity in their support that they do into whipping up an air of impending disaster or triumphant vindication, then the team would have the support it needs to push on. If everyone who took time to question the team selections actually went to the games they could when they could, we'd get full houses every game.

Instead of starting new civil wars on here, why aren't you all re-investing this new-found positivity by queueing up down the ticket office?

Welllllll.....

In my case it is a 3,471 mile eachway trip to SMS's ticket office.

Trust me though, I am pulling every trick, and every possible business meeting I can at the moment to get a trip back as soon as possible.

I'm almost gutted that ericofarabia was at Derby yesterday, I won't hear the end of it:-)

Some people have complained that the club will sell any player they get an offer for, but lets just think that through and see if it is true.

From official statements, the policy seems clear, to sell the players on high wages and if a sale is not possible, then a loan out is the second best option, but as far as possible, this policy should exclude the first choice first team players.

The players on the transfer list are good players, or they would not be saleable, but they have been replaced in the first team squad by others who are as good if not better. The squad has not got worse by their replacement and the new squad members seem to be better at fitting into the new team tactics and playing style.

So how does this stack up against the sale of Andrew Davies and the apparant agreement of a fee for Andrew Surman? This does not have to be seen as a change of policy, or proof that the club will sell anyone who can run. Because players who have not requested a transfer get a cut of the fee its hard for any club to hold onto players it would prefer to keep, once that player (and his agent) are aware of how much money they can pocket.

There is likely to be some frantic activity in the transfer market in this last week of August and we can hope that it will see Skacel and Euell, move on but if offers come for anyone not on the transfer list, they may still have to be allowed to go if the player is unsettled by the offer. It will be a relief when this week is over, not only to have the stability of a settled squad, but also to see if any of the remaining journeymen do move on which could free up some funds in the budget to pay the wages of a loanee or two.

Some people have complained that the club will sell any player they get an offer for, but lets just think that through and see if it is true.

From official statements, the policy seems clear, to sell the players on high wages and if a sale is not possible, then a loan out is the second best option, but as far as possible, this policy should exclude the first choice first team players.

The players on the transfer list are good players, or they would not be saleable, but they have been replaced in the first team squad by others who are as good if not better. The squad has not got worse by their replacement and the new squad members seem to be better at fitting into the new team tactics and playing style.

So how does this stack up against the sale of Andrew Davies and the apparant agreement of a fee for Andrew Surman? This does not have to be seen as a change of policy, or proof that the club will sell anyone who can run. Because players who have not requested a transfer get a cut of the fee its hard for any club to hold onto players it would prefer to keep, once that player (and his agent) are aware of how much money they can pocket.

There is likely to be some frantic activity in the transfer market in this last week of August and we can hope that it will see Skacel and Euell, move on but if offers come for anyone not on the transfer list, they may still have to be allowed to go if the player is unsettled by the offer. It will be a relief when this week is over, not only to have the stability of a settled squad, but also to see if any of the remaining journeymen do move on which could free up some funds in the budget to pay the wages of a loanee or two.

Not sure what you're trying to say with this post Proff as it appears to come under the heading of 'stating the blooming obvious'. As has been proven this week with the sale of Davies, everyone at the club is for sale irrespective of your position within the team i.e. first choice or last choice.

They've attempted to dress various sales up in different ways (too old, doesn't fit the new system, wanted a new challenge, stopping the youngsters coming through, unsettled by an offer, blah blah) but you cannot dress the Davies sale up as anything other than financial. I hope this one doesn't come back to bite us right where it hurts especially considering Svensson's longevity concerns.

Welllllll.....

In my case it is a 3,471 mile eachway trip to SMS's ticket office.

Which is why I said people should just go to the matches they could when they could. Trust me, it's a longer trip for some people!

I'm directing this comment to those whose main contribution is here (where it serves no-one) as opposed to at St.Mary's (where it can make a difference). I understand the idea of football as entertainment and sympathise with the argument that for the last few years, we've received precious little back for what our fans have given through the turnstiles... but if we really are building a good team here, then we need to acknowledge the change and support it by going and lending our voices. If this is the first spurt of new growth at Saints then we need to support it via attendances or it's going to die on its a**e.

Crowing, Baiting, Finger-pointing, etc. won't get us anywhere.

Judging by the amount of emotion vented on this forum (particularly by the wide range of positive/negative threads after just 3 games), a lot of people need to get to a game and let the tension out.

Not sure what you're trying to say with this post Proff as it appears to come under the heading of 'stating the blooming obvious'. As has been proven this week with the sale of Davies, everyone at the club is for sale irrespective of your position within the team i.e. first choice or last choice.

They've attempted to dress various sales up in different ways (too old, doesn't fit the new system, wanted a new challenge, stopping the youngsters coming through, unsettled by an offer, blah blah) but you cannot dress the Davies sale up as anything other than financial. I hope this one doesn't come back to bite us right where it hurts especially considering Svensson's longevity concerns.

I'm not sure this is right.

We have to be keener to get the high wage-earners off the wage bill. We'd probably accept peanuts (even zero?) for Euell and Skacel, as we save £500,000 per year just by showing them the door. However, I could see us turning down, say, a £0.5m offer for Lallana.

I also think we have obliterated so much of the wage bill that at some point - now? - we have enough slack to not have to accept any offer for any player.

I agree with those who say that the new set-up looks promising, but also with those who caution that three games does not make a season.

Overall, I think anything better than a relegation scrap would count as a success this year. Getting into - or near the play-offs - would be stunning.

I can not honestly beleive people are going this OTT about Lowe, JP etc. We beat a team that has worst record in the history of the football league. Although Im happy about the win yesterday it is just one game.

If we had lost people would have been going mad. The best way to look at the situation is after about 10 games when have played a wider scope of team.