Paying a tradesman

Stripey McStripe Shirt

Just after an opinion...

I had a roofer come to my house yesterday. After initially quoting me £750 for some work to my roof he told me they'd found a few other issues up there and suggested some additional work... totalling £1500. After some thought, but telling him I didn't just have that kind of cash lying around, I decided to bite the bullet and just get the work done, as it know it was needed (I should add that I had previously had a similar quote from a couple of others who then messed me around / didn't turn up).

I've since transferred some money from savings to make the payment, but because of the account it's in, it takes up to 2 working days to transfer. 

Since yesterday when then work was finished, I have already had a couple of calls from him, passive aggressively telling me that he expected the money same day. I fully appreciate that he has his own needs to meet, but in such situations I would usually expect to receive an invoice and request for payment within, say, 7 days?

Am I being unreasonable bellend? Is he being unreasonable?

He has incredibly generously told me he can wait til Monday, but I'm not convinced the money from my savings will have been transferred since then so just wondering where I stand when he no doubt turns up on my doorstep demanding it.

13 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Just after an opinion...

I had a roofer come to my house yesterday. After initially quoting me £750 for some work to my roof he told me they'd found a few other issues up there and suggested some additional work... totalling £1500. After some thought, but telling him I didn't just have that kind of cash lying around, I decided to bite the bullet and just get the work done, as it know it was needed (I should add that I had previously had a similar quote from a couple of others who then messed me around / didn't turn up).

I've since transferred some money from savings to make the payment, but because of the account it's in, it takes up to 2 working days to transfer. 

Since yesterday when then work was finished, I have already had a couple of calls from him, passive aggressively telling me that he expected the money same day. I fully appreciate that he has his own needs to meet, but in such situations I would usually expect to receive an invoice and request for payment within, say, 7 days?

He has incredibly generously told me he can wait til Monday, but I'm not convinced the money from my savings will have been transferred since then so just wondering where I stand when he no doubt turns up on my doorstep demanding it.

We’ve been renovating a doer-upper in the Cotswolds over the last 18 months and whilst we’ve dealt with some excellent trades, we’ve also dealt with some of the types described here. Brexit hasn’t helped by eliminating some of the harder working competition. 

Invoice and 7 days very reasonable for that size job. Our roof job was back roof and new flat roof which is a far bigger job I admit, but IIRC it was similar set up. If you were really happy with the standard and could pay them earlier then that can help for future jobs.

Question I ask is if you are happy with the work? Sometimes when they rush you for payment as our sparkies are, you need to look closely at what they’ve done. I’ve had their work independently assessed. Whilst overall deemed safe, they are still awaiting their second instalment from me three months on until we have wall channels fully made good and a bathroom shaver unit which doesn’t trip the main circuit. They can get as stroppy as they like but they will do the job first consistently to the standards their professional body, the job specification and I expect. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Just after an opinion...

A proper tradesman will normally complete the work, issue an invoice, and then give you a fair and reasonable time to pay it which like you said is about a week.

Any materials they’ve had to buy would have likely been on a credit account so the cost of those won’t fall due for between 30-60 days, and no sensible trader would leave themselves so short that they can’t afford to live for a week. Might be worth checking their work and seeing if they’ve actually completed what they said they would, and to an acceptable standard. If they want payment so soon it’s because you’ll never see them again if issues arise.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

A proper tradesman will normally complete the work, issue an invoice, and then give you a fair and reasonable time to pay it which like you said is about a week.

Any materials they’ve had to buy would have likely been on a credit account so the cost of those won’t fall due for between 30-60 days, and no sensible trader would leave themselves so short that they can’t afford to live for a week. Might be worth checking their work and seeing if they’ve actually completed what they said they would, and to an acceptable standard. If they want payment so soon it’s because you’ll never see them again if issues arise.

Yep, not just me smelling a rat on the rushing either. I’d be looking at the quality of the job definitely.

We’re re-doing the extension next year (the original way before us didn’t have proper footings unfortunately) and the local family builders and glazers est 50 years plus we are using don’t want any £ up front even with a large job and proper payment by completion/quality agreement because they back their own high standards with a stack of good references and work we’ve looked at ourselves. And they know we will make good on our end of the deal from their due diligence.

a

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but personally I'd expect to pay on the day of completion. If I wanted an invoice/receipt I'd ask for one, but I wouldn't make the bloke wait for payment. 

For sub-£500 yes, perhaps £750-800 if one day and very straightforward, but for bigger jobs you’d want to keep a bit back at least to ensure it all worked and be able to snag etc. Because if they’ve made a ricket, and you’ve fully settled, good chance they ain’t coming back if they’re on the more feckless side. The ones with a work ethic and pride would, so you’ve also got to see them working, are they tidy, conscientious etc.

• Like 1

For this one, it's an unexpected cost. He's going to have to wait, as it's not getting to him any quicker either way.

If, and only if, you're fully satisfied with the work, the £750 with the rest to come is perfectly reasonable.

Considering him rushing you is a red flag to shoddy tradespeople, I'd be of a mind to delay until it's all there for a single payment. As above, check the work as best you can.

Timescales of a week would be perfectly reasonable. As GL said, it gives you a decent chance, and some weather, to see if there are any issues. Phone calls chasing it over a weekend are dodgy.

Don't forget to share all your experiences on the trading websites too.

• Like 1