Saints Vs Leicester - Saturday 19/10/24 - 3pm 😟

Mr X

We probably don't wanna think about this one?

Surely last roll of the dice for Martin and a "must win"? 🤞

Leicester are better than us so we will need a "solid" game plan 😂

On 10/10/2024 at 09:01, Mr X said:

I don't think he'll get sacked even if we lose tbh.

Our survival chances will look incredibly bleak if we cannot win this one though. Entering dead rubber territory for the rest of the season. You'd like to think the situation, the encouraging performance vs arsenal, and the fact that its one of our best chances to win at home will all focus the players minds on it - hopefully leading to a 1st win of the season.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Gotta win this play the strongest team possible. 

Start Onuachu the small cameo he had he deserves a chance plus offers us something different. 

Martin needs to learn quickly about how to adapt and be more pragmatic. 

Forget all this 20 pass chain combo mincing around at the back nonsense! We need urgency and points on the board! Get it up top one kick into the mixer sure it isn't pretty but we are not flaming Man City and never will be! 

For me this is last roll of the dice come away at Leicester with nowt or on a receiving end of a battering he will then have to go.... 

Well, no way I am going to make any predictions here, as we have seen many times already this season RM can gee up the boys to perform well one week and go to pot the next. Very inconsistent indeed. We are probably as good as Leicester on our day, but they do have the advantage of Cooper being there. He is much more experience and pragmatic  and does not stick rigidly to the same old set up. All I can say is I hope we win. But if we lose, RM has to go 100% nailed on.

I will stick me neck out and say 2-2 so we get nowhere and RM gets another week or two.

Edited by east-stand-nic
spelling
  • Like 2

If fail to win then Russ Martin should be sacked before he gets back to the changing room.  (And Rasmus Ankerson should be given a wedgy before being banned for life from SMS)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Leicester have been a class above for the past few seasons and as far as one can tell still are this year. They will see this as one of their easier fixtures especially as they know exactly how to deal with Martin's style of play. I cannot see what has changed sufficiently since our last encounter to feel any optimism about this one.

0-2 or 0-3

• Like 2

As long as we are not 8 points adrift then can leave it till last few games, otherwise it's 3 wins to make the table look good. I don't expect much ti change even in Jan window. 

I didn't expect a goal, hit bar and post, and few balls in box at Arsenal so if Saints can do that at home v lcfc we may nick a 1 nil win.

Just can't see how we win unless RM changes his style of play which we all know he won't. I hope Saints prove me wrong though 🙏

Don't want to see him go but sadly I think he will be gone if we lose this one. 

Edited by sisi1992
  • Like 1

Must win game and we have to be attacking and threatening, so I assume that means Martin will drop all of our strikers to the bench for it.

I think we will start well, lots of passes around the midfield and defence but nothing really threatening leicester, and somewhere around the 30th minute we will give the ball to one of their strikers who will score.

The players heads will drop.

The half time whistle will go with Saints 1-0 down

Due to the queues at the bars at half time we will still be drinking our pints when the game restarts, we will not have made it up to our seats when Leicester's second goes in.

Saints will then continue to make 3million passes across the midfield and defence that go absolutely nowhere, and our strikers will be permanently bound to the wings and create nothing.

Leicester will score their 3rd about midway through the second half after Martin makes four bizarre changes that completely changes the shape of the team.

For some utterly bizarre reason, like prisoners overcome with Stockholm syndrome, those remaining fans will clap the players off in an almost masochistic display of celebrating failure.

The board will fail to sack Martin, people on here and on social media will talk about how much they "like him" despite him having the worst start of any Saints manager in living memory, and claim they believe he will turn it around and is learning, despite absolutely no proof of that happening.

WE MARCH DOWN!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Onuachu

Archer                          Dibling

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

KWP        THB          Bednarek     Sugawara

Ramsdale

Cut out the suicidal passing in and around our own box. Move the ball from front to back directly and quickly. Get the ball into Fernandes and Lallana as quickly as possible, with them playing on the half-turn looking for the forward pass or through ball. Use Onuachu as the hold-up man, with Archer and Dibling playing off him looking to run into space in behind, or getting wide to put crosses on his head. When Lallana gets tired, put Aribo or Les alongside Downes and push Fernandes further up. Cornet and Fraser as fresh legs later on. Smash that little rat Vardy at the first opportunity. Don't do anything silly.

2-0 Saints and the start of our relentless march to 18th. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

Ramsdale

I like the look of that and its a team that should give a good go of avoiding relegation if we gave them time together to gel as an XI. Not chopping and changing shape every game.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Cut out the suicidal passing in and around our own box. Move the ball from front to back directly and quickly. Get the ball into Fernandes and Lallana as quickly as possible, with them playing on the half-turn looking for the forward pass or through ball.

No no no, that's not how you play football!

You don't win the possession battle by getting it forward quickly or passing through the channels. Jesus it sounds like you need to go to one of Martin's Re-Education Camps so you can learn why you're wrong, and why the right answer is to pass backwards and sideways giving the opposition the most possible time to reset their defence.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

Ramsdale

That’s the team I’d be starting and sticking with as a first choice. Really put some concentrated coaching into those guys, in particular how to transition quickly from the back four into the final third…i.e. it’s ok passing out from the back sometimes, but it needs mixing up with other tactics so keeping the oppo guessing and getting some fast paced attacks will be essential to winning games of football. If this team can’t make it work then the rest of the squad don’t stand a chance.

Having said that, I don’t think we’ll win…just can’t see RM and his team having the nouse to beat any other team in the Prem. Can see this being 1-3…maybe worse. I just hope Vardy gets badly injured - can’t stand the nasty rat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

Ramsdale

Cut out the suicidal passing in and around our own box. Move the ball from front to back directly and quickly. Get the ball into Fernandes and Lallana as quickly as possible, with them playing on the half-turn looking for the forward pass or through ball. Use Onuachu as the hold-up man, with Archer and Dibling playing off him looking to run into space in behind, or getting wide to put crosses on his head. When Lallana gets tired, put Aribo or Les alongside Downes and push Fernandes further up. Cornet and Fraser as fresh legs later on. Smash that little rat Vardy at the first opportunity. Don't do anything silly.

That's pretty much the team I'd play.

Be tempted to switch Taylor for KWP and move KWP to  right back (its where we get the best out of him) and bench Sugawara.  And if we are going to play Onuachu upfront we want cross coming in from both the left and right -  not through balls from a right footed full back on the left.

Also tempted to switch Aribo for Lallana in the midfield and play Fernandes as the most advanced of the 3.  Also feel Lallana will be more use to us coming off the bench to help us see the game out in place of Fernandes.

Onuachu

Fernandes

Downes         Aribo          

Taylor        THB          Bednarek     KWP

Ramsdale

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 4

They destroyed us in both games last season but we beat them twice in our PL relegation season (hoping for some more of that luck and a return to winning ways as that was, as we are constantly reminded, the last PL game we won). 

3 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

Ramsdale

I can. See that this is probably our strongest team or one that should be the most effective but only if we ditch 200 touch football and play with pace and power, it's worrying that Martin still has no idea what his strongest starting team is! 

10 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Onuachu

Lallana

Downes       Fernandes            

Ramsdale

That is by far the most sensible line up and therefore the least likely to come out of Russ' magic selection tombola.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Not sure I wanna see Breton Diaz in a saints shirt again he's not even as good as che Adams!

He was poor at villa real too did we just take a punt on him cos he was cheap? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Not sure I wanna see Breton Diaz in a saints shirt again he's not even as good as che Adams!

He was poor at villa real too did we just take a punt on him cos he was cheap? 

I haven't thought much of him since he made himself look a complete prat with his embarrassing reaction to the headbutt incident with Shar at Newcastle. His football is nothing to get excited about either.  Do SR actually watch these players before they waste millions on them?  

Is there any merit to sticking to Archer through the middle? I agree Onuachu looked promising when he came on against Arsenal, but Archer did finally score and it might be worth giving him at least the first half to get some scoring form going. I'm not sure whether putting him out on the wing might not suit his game as well, and kill off any momentum he might start to pick up. We finally have one of our strikers scoring a goal in the Premier League, and I'd be reticent to throw any chance of that happening again any time soon out the window 😬

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I haven't thought much of him since he made himself look a complete prat with his embarrassing reaction to the headbutt incident with Shar at Newcastle. His football is nothing to get excited about either.  Do SR actually watch these players before they waste millions on them?  

I think they were just looking for a quick fix seen he'd scored a few premier league  goals for Sheffield united thought they'd take a punt...... He's looked slow uninterested and argumentative/quick to blame other players.... Doesn't really seem any better an option than Adam Armstrong and that s saying something 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

That’s a very confident line up… just the 10 men to beat the foxes 😂

TBF we are better starting as a 10 than including "certain players"

Leicester use Vestergaard as a sort of quarter back  Play the ball to him in space lying deep then passing forwards. I would like to see him pinned. Stick Onuachu up on him and pin him. Play Dibling and Archer either side and get the ball out wide quickly from defence. Pinning Vestergaard could disrupt Leicester. If we did it successfully and win the midfield we could stop Leicester hitting us on the break.

54 minutes ago, derry said:

Leicester use Vestergaard as a sort of quarter back  Play the ball to him in space lying deep then passing forwards. I would like to see him pinned. Stick Onuachu up on him and pin him. Play Dibling and Archer either side and get the ball out wide quickly from defence. Pinning Vestergaard could disrupt Leicester. If we did it successfully and win the midfield we could stop Leicester hitting us on the break.

Like we did under Ralph for a while?

I'd put AA against him. Quick off the shoulder so plays to JV's weakness, or one of them, tenacious and will keep his engery. He can defend from the front and then attack as well. I think all Leicester's CBs are slow. 

Keep the ball away from Vardy cause he's quick and our CBs aren't and their manager is slow to react, defensive and not very good. 2-2 draw or we'll win.

Bit stumped with this one. I was really hoping Lesley would be the one to come in next to Downes this season and make us more solid. 
But after his frankly pathetic performance against Bournemouth id go:

Rambo

Sugawara THB Bednarek KWP

Fernandes Downes Aribo

Dibling Archer Fraser 

Lallana, Cornet and Tall Paul off the bench early doors if needed

Edited by Osvaldorama

11 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we play like we did against Ipswich and take our chances, we should win. Hopefully Archer getting his goal will give him a bit of confidence, he missed a couple he should've scored.

If we play like we did against Ipswich, we'll lose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we play like we did against Ipswich and take our chances, we should win. Hopefully Archer getting his goal will give him a bit of confidence, he missed a couple he should've scored.

What if Ipswich had taken all of their chances?

IMG_9781.jpeg

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, derry said:

Vestergaard hasn't started for Leicester so far this season due to a "minor knock" but I doubt he would make the team anyway with Wout Faes & Caleb Okoli being the chosen CB's for Steve Cooper this season.  

3 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Vestergaard hasn't started for Leicester so far this season due to a "minor knock" but I doubt he would make the team anyway with Wout Faes & Caleb Okoli being the chosen CB's for Steve Cooper this season.  

😄Thanks for that. I'd still go for 6'-8" Onuachu as a focal point up front with Archer and Dibling playing wide and coming in on the 45 to support Onuachu when play is on the other flank. Maybe Downes and Aribo and Fernandes just in front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

A 1-1 draw so Martin clings on to his job.......

This will actually do the most damage in the long run as they will fail to take action.... I can see them not doing anything till January