Bournemouth vs Saints - Monday 30th 8pm

Lighthouse

A fixture we won at a similar point in the season two years ago, which saved us from the ignominy of going a whole prime minister without winning a match.

I'd probably stick with the same team as Ipswich but for the love of all that's holy please don't bring on BBD to play wide left again.

• Like 8

I think this could be the one where it clicks. As you say, same team would be ok, . Lallana and Fraser will be bang up for it and I can see AL getting on the scoresheet. They are nothing special at the back so the Dibling, Lallana, Archer combo can pull them out of shape.

The clean sheet bollocks is haunting us but Ramsdale can pull off the necessary saves to finally stop the rot. 0-1 from a first half Lallana strike. Lesley to come on second half for the goal scorer to help protect the lead.

Edited by Mixedkebab

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

A fixture we won at a similar point in the season two years ago, which saved us from the ignominy of going a whole prime minister without winning a match.

I'd probably stick with the same team as Ipswich but for the love of all that's holy please don't bring on BBD to play wide left again.

Amen to that…. No Diaz wide left.     Was Liz Truss the PM in question?

We've won there 4 times out of the last 6, including the last 3 in a row.

Whatever the opposite of a bogey ground like Goodison is (a happy hunting ground?), that's what Dean Court is for us. It's their biggest game of the season and they usually bottle it.

Edited by Pamplemousse

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

We've won there 4 times out of the last 6, including the last 3 in a row.

Whatever the opposite of a bogey ground like Goodison is (a happy hunting ground?), that's what Dean Court is for us. It's their biggest game of the season and they usually bottle it.

It used to be Goodison until a couple of years ago. I believe it’s now St Mary’s. At a rough guess I’d say Swansea was our best away ground in the PL.

• Haha 3

When will the season end !!

It's gone on too long already.

I predict in this game either some goal scoring chances will be put into row z, some comedy defending (preferably crashing into each other) or schoolboy marking will appear in this game.

There will be a huge amount of bustling from BBD whilst fixing his hair, our defenders will try and give the ball to the opposition in our half (wrong half to be brave) and on 60mins 3 players will appear who will not score a goal.

Also Everton will manage to blow a lead and lose.

• Confused 1

I think Bournemouth are one of the more aggressive pressing teams in the league so this could mean big trouble for us playing it out from the back. 

We’ve had some good wins down there over the years though so would be nice to replicate one of those. My personal favourite was the 3-1 in the League One promotion season. 

I’ll go with the optimistic 3-1 win and BBD to get sent off for an Oscar Gobern style challenge near the end.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Green said:

I think Bournemouth are one of the more aggressive pressing teams in the league so this could mean big trouble for us playing it out from the back. 

We’ve had some good wins down there over the years though so would be nice to replicate one of those. My personal favourite was the 3-1 in the League One promotion season. 

I’ll go with the optimistic 3-1 win and BBD to get sent off for an Oscar Gobern style challenge near the end.

If we really want to bypass the press we need to play Stewart and allow Ramsdale to periodically play the ball long.  It was noticeable how this option was non existent with Fraser and Archer part of a front three, with Archer:s hold up play poor.  I would be tempted to play Archer on the left and Stewart centre forward.

There will probably be at least two or three ex Bournemouth players on the pitch for Saints who will not want to lose. This will be feisty I’m sure. 
I think we do not lose this match but more likely a draw than away win due to our shooting boots shortage. Unless we get a pen and someone else gets to take it. 😁

All this talk about having lots of ex-opposition players, yet over the years I have heard this many times and never does it seem to get us 'Up for it' as much as it should. I have not really seen much of Bournemouth of late, although fair to say they seem to blow hot and cold. If we get them hot, we will lose without a doubt.

I would also say if we lose, we are down and I will put bets on it.

21 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

All this talk about having lots of ex-opposition players, yet over the years I have heard this many times and never does it seem to get us 'Up for it' as much as it should. I have not really seen much of Bournemouth of late, although fair to say they seem to blow hot and cold. If we get them hot, we will lose without a doubt.

I would also say if we lose, we are down and I will put bets on it.

There needs to be more urgency/fire/ruthlessness etc. Bournemouth have just had a poor result, will be fired up for sure, and no we're soft as anything - they'll come into this game looking to bury us. At the moment, i feel like Martin seems to be treating the premier league as a bit of a novelty/jolly to be enjoyed... Its not enough.

And okay, maybe the club feel they've sorted the finances/squad out and feel much safer re the impacts of another relegation... but it would still be grim for the club and the staff, and the players as well. As it is though, the manager and players seem more relaxed than i would like over how we've started. Maybe that is credit to Martin and his team.... But equally, we're staring the shit right in the face already. And for whatever reason, there still doesn't seem to be enough fight/urgency (for their premier league lives) amongst the players as yet - and we are absolutely at that stage already this season. A win is needed ASAP..... And they're going to need to raise their game for this Bournemouth game.

And after this game its Arsenal Away, Leicester home (regularly a bogey fixture for us and a 6pointer - if we're lucky😂), and then City Away. After that its Everton (who are going to start picking up points at some points no question).

So for me, we absolutely have to get 2 wins and a draw out of Leicester/Everton/Bournemouth) or we're pretty cooked IMO. That would put us on 8 for 9.
And after that, we'll have already played most of the weakest teams in the league and things will only get harder - The next 4 games will be Brighton/Liverpool/Chelsea/Villa.

Edited by Saint86

This is one of the fixtures that in the euphoria of early season I would've hoped we would win. However stark reality has come early this year, just like Christmas in all the big shops,

after watching forest and Ipswich a healthy dose of realism has kicked  in, so as always hope for the best fear the worst.

One thing for sure if Saints did emotional rollercoasters they'd  be the best.

Edited by Oldandtired

Nothing better than a draw, probable defeat. I've always thought we were capable of giving the certain teams a game at home, you know, the likes of; Fulham, Palace, Bournemouth, Brentford, Forest, Leicester, Ipswich, Everton and possibly West Ham. Win your home games against those and there's 24 points in the bag even if you lose one at home. Failure to beat Forest and Ipswich has already knackered that and even now I feel we are already needing snookers, so we'll need to pick up away points also. Never been our strength.

We're not putting the same team out, we'll put out a team of reserves again. Don't blame him tbh, need to have our best team playing in the PL if we are to have any chance (and if we see a first team player injured tonight there is only one person this forum is going to blame). 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We're not putting the same team out, we'll put out a team of reserves again. Don't blame him tbh, need to have our best team playing in the PL if we are to have any chance (and if we see a first team player injured tonight there is only one person this forum is going to blame). 

Can you explain that post as I don't understand. Is it one you meant to send _last_ Tuesday?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Eh?

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

Do you happen to make Cider on your farm by any chance?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Out of interest who did you think we were playing?

More importantly, did we win, did Archer, BBD and Nessie all get on the score sheet, has Russ finally shaved his beard, had a buzz cut and joined the US marines? Can it somehow be fixed  that I have a large financial windfall in this manifestation? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

image-c3cae0c820 (1).jpg

• Haha 4

On 23/09/2024 at 21:12, Forester said:

If we really want to bypass the press we need to play Stewart and allow Ramsdale to periodically play the ball long.  It was noticeable how this option was non existent with Fraser and Archer part of a front three, with Archer:s hold up play poor.  I would be tempted to play Archer on the left and Stewart centre forward.

I wouldn’t have Stewart near the starting 11.

I hadn't realised that in the last two games bournemouth have played a Russell Martin side the scorelines have been 4-0 and 5-0 in their favour. 

One of my cherries mates pointed this out, and also pointed out a third of those goals had come from mistakes his sides had made passing around at the back.

So my prediction is...

We will pass it around a lot at the back, look pretty good for the first 30mins but create no real chances.

Somewhere around the 31minute mark we will give the ball to one of their strikers who will score.

We will then come out after the second half and continue to make 3million passes across the midfield and defence that go absolutely nowhere, and our strikers will be permanently bound to the wings and create nothing. Some time mid second half we will concede goals 2 and 3.

The full time whistle go and we will have had 70% possession and zero shots on goal.

Martin will come out after the game and say how well we played, how he's learned a lot, and how we were the best side for 30mins which counts for a lot and how brave the players have been.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I hadn't realised that in the last two games bournemouth have played a Russell Martin side the scorelines have been 4-0 and 5-0 in their favour. 

One of my cherries mates pointed this out, and also pointed out a third of those goals had come from mistakes his sides had made passing around at the back.

So my prediction is...

We will pass it around a lot at the back, look pretty good for the first 30mins but create no real chances.

Somewhere around the 31minute mark we will give the ball to one of their strikers who will score.

We will then come out after the second half and continue to make 3million passes across the midfield and defence that go absolutely nowhere, and our strikers will be permanently bound to the wings and create nothing. Some time mid second half we will concede goals 2 and 3.

The full time whistle go and we will have had 70% possession and zero shots on goal.

Martin will come out after the game and say how well we played, how he's learned a lot, and how we were the best side for 30mins which counts for a lot and how brave the players have been.

I think you're probably right, but assume these other games were against Swansea, this on the other hand is THE New Forest derby and anything can happen in these occasions. 

34 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Almost correct....

The 5-0 defeat was in the League Cup in August 2021 whilst still manager of MK Dons, one division below Bournemouth at the time. Russ happened to depart for Swansea the very next day, so probably had other things on his mind...

The 4-0 defeat was a Championship game in November 2021. Bournemouth (and Fulham) were runaway league leaders at the time, having only lost 1 out of 17 games)

But there was a more recent Russell Martin game vs Bournemouth later that same season in April 2022, whilst still manager at Swansea, which finished 3-3

(Note: RM's Swansea were 3-0 up with 18 minutes to go...!)

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, franniesTache said:

So my prediction is...

You omitted to mention that around 60 mins we will make 4 subs that will

on the whole make us worse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1