Saints v Ipswich - Saturday 3pm

maysie

36 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Martin needs to grow up and put his differences aside bad attitude or not the boy is miles better than Stephens play him for god's sake!

Why is this all on Martin all of a sudden? You’ve no idea what goes on behind the scenes, nor do you have any evidence that it’s him that needs to grow up or what ‘differences’ need putting aside. I think a few people need to get over this fantasy that Russ has no idea his job is on the line and just wants to play Stephens ad nauseam because he’s his best friend. If ABK isn’t in the squad, there’s likely to be a pretty good reason for it.

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, Bobsmith said:

ABK is arguably our best centre back, and if he does well for us this season, it could help us stay up, and increase his value when we inevitably sell next summer. 

Or ABK is a massive cunt behind the scenes and putting him anywhere near the team would really fuck things up…. truth is no one on here really knows what’s gone on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Or ABK is a massive cunt behind the scenes and putting him anywhere near the team would really fuck things up…. truth is no one on here really knows what’s gone on. 

Would fuck things up for a team with zero wins and zero points, and countless defensive mistakes. Seems a stretch

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Lots of people have been parroting the idea.

I tend to ignore the "why don't we" type questions on football forums, as they often naively assume any particular course of action is uncomplicated by things we don't know about and blandly ignore.

Agreed. Likewise, it's equally unhelpful to speculate about ABK's character when we don't know all the facts. The only thing we do know is he's got the talent. Without knowing any more, the desired scenario should be that he is genuinely determined to help us this season and integrate himself back into the team. Let's hope that is the case and he earns an opportunity.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Why is this all on Martin all of a sudden? You’ve no idea what goes on behind the scenes, nor do you have any evidence that it’s him that needs to grow up or what ‘differences’ need putting aside. I think a few people need to get over this fantasy that Russ has no idea his job is on the line and just wants to play Stephens ad nauseam because he’s his best friend. If ABK isn’t in the squad, there’s likely to be a pretty good reason for it.

Common sense at last 

56 minutes ago, Bobsmith said:

Would fuck things up for a team with zero wins and zero points, and countless defensive mistakes. Seems a stretch

We’re 4 games in, a load of new players and 3 games of expect us to lose anyway (Newcastle, Brentford and United)

Dont think we need to hit the panic button yet. I absolutely trust Martin, and if we go down then I back him to bring us back up next season. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We’re 4 games in, a load of new players and 3 games of expect us to lose anyway (Newcastle, Brentford and United)

Don`t think we need to hit the panic button yet. I absolutely trust Martin, and if we go down then I back him to bring us back up next season. 

Totally agree

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Dont think we need to hit the panic button yet. I absolutely trust Martin, and if we go down then I back him to bring us back up next season. 

He might well do but what confidence would you then have that he wouldn't take us straight back down again? We've also scored one goal in four games and I'd say it's the manner of the defeats and how u competitive we have been for large parts of the games that has been the concern for me rather than just the results themselves. 

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

ABK played against Cardiff so the option is clearly there to play him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Everyone on here said we would struggle and guess what? Yep, you got it, we are struggling. 4 games in and the knives are out it’s pathetic.

My opinion is that we would struggle to stay in the prem. if we did we would have had an outstanding season. That has not changed. 

• Like 4

Let’s also not rewrite history to make out that ABK coming in would instantly transform us defensively. 

Last time round he started 24 games in the league. We lost 15 of them, conceding 46 goals in the process - an average of 1.91 goals conceded per game he started. 

The 14 league games he didn’t play in, we lost 10 of them, conceding 26 goals - an average of 1.85 goals per game. 

So last time round we conceded fewer goals in the games when he wasn’t playing. 

Of course goals conceded aren’t just down to one person and there are loads of other factors, but quite aside from whatever non-footballing reasons there might be for RM not to pick him, any idea that him coming into the side automatically makes us better defensively just isn’t supported by the facts. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think you are right and Martin thrives off togetherness and team spirit, I met him briefly in the summer seemed emotionally moved by the atmosphere at the play off final / after party at St Mary's and wanted to carry that into this season, I think the fans could play a big part in helping to get our season going , really get behind Martin and the team Saturday 

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Let’s also not rewrite history to make out that ABK coming in would instantly transform us defensively. 

Last time round he started 24 games in the league. We lost 15 of them, conceding 46 goals in the process - an average of 1.91 goals conceded per game he started. 

The 14 league games he didn’t play in, we conceded 26 goals - an average of 1.85 goals per game. 

Of course goals conceded aren’t just down to one person and there are loads of other factors, but quite aside from whatever non-footballing reasons there might be for RM not to pick him, any idea that him coming into the side automatically makes us better defensively just isn’t supported by the facts. 

Yep, he’s not the messiah….

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It would if your concern was that his career is over because of some catastrophic heart condition.

I take your point, and I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm not sure surviving 30 minutes of football would be proof of full health.

Has he been diagnosed with a "catastrophic heart condition"? I genuinely don't know, but it might explain his lack of selection. I also wouldn't see how they could shift him on for a fee if he does.

• Like 2

This is a match in which we will struggle. Whereas our style of play is unfamiliar to 17 opponents in this league so there is always an element of surprise, the other two clubs Ipswich & Leicester countered it very successfully on both ocassions that they met us last season. Little has changed since then in our style of play and approach to games whereas Ipswich appear to have made a step forward in their progress.

Can't see anything other than a continuation of our goal famine and an inevitable defeat, 0-2 sadly.

• Haha 1

Is this the worst squad in the Premier League? How many of them would you want in our team?

1            GK         Kosovo KOS    Arijanet Muric

2            DF         England ENG  Harry Clarke

3            DF         England ENG  Leif Davis

5            MF         Egypt EGY        Sam Morsy (captain)

6            DF         England ENG  Luke Woolfenden

7            MF         Wales WAL      Wes Burns

8            MF         England ENG  Kalvin Phillips (on loan from Manchester City)

10          FW        England ENG  Conor Chaplin

12          MF         Sweden SWE  Jens Cajuste (on loan from Napoli)

13          GK         Scotland SCO               Cieran Slicker

14          MF         Republic of Ireland IRL            Jack Taylor

15          DF         Australia AUS Cameron Burgess

16          FW        Iraq IRQ             Ali Al-Hamadi

18          DF         England ENG  Ben Johnson

19          FW        England ENG  Liam Delap

20          FW        England ENG  Omari Hutchinson

21          FW        Republic of Ireland IRL            Chiedozie Ogbene

22          DF         England ENG  Conor Townsend

23          FW        Republic of Ireland IRL            Sammie Szmodics

24          DF         England ENG  Jacob Greaves

25          MF         Australia AUS Massimo Luongo

26          DF         Republic of Ireland IRL            Dara O'Shea

27          FW        England ENG  George Hirst

28          GK         England ENG  Christian Walton

33          FW        Wales WAL      Nathan Broadhead

40          DF         Democratic Republic of the Congo COD     Axel Tuanzebe

47          FW        England ENG  Jack Clarke

Just had a read of my old FA level 1 manual and think tomorrow would be a great time to deploy James Bree as a front sweeper, dealing with all attacking threat across the entire width of the field.

------------Ramsdale-------------

YS -----THB------Janny----KWP

<Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezy>

----------FD--------AL-----------

--------------MF----------------

----------TD--------CA-----------

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Whereas our style of play is unfamiliar to 17 opponents in this league so there is always an element of surprise

I admire your general optimism here but literally every manager, player, pundit and fan who's paying attention knows exactly how we play and, seemingly, exactly how to counter it. When a random fan on a messageboard can specify two days before a match what's going to happen in it and get every aspect spot on, almost to the minute, the element of surprise is one thing that we absolutely don't have, with anyone, whether we've played them recently or not. 

I've got a feeling we'll beat Ipswich though. I'm feeling 3-1, driven by a virtuoso Dibling performance that the media instantly jump on to all agree how perfect he'd be for Liverpool. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Everyone on here said we would struggle and guess what? Yep, you got it, we are struggling. 4 games in and the knives are out it’s pathetic.

My opinion is that we would struggle to stay in the prem. if we did we would have had an outstanding season. That has not changed. 

I can't imagine how others could think any differently. We have a lack of PL quality players and the bookies had us as favourites to go down, so if you think any differently I'd probably suggest that this expectations are the problem rather than the Manager. 

We played well against Newcastle and we're undone by Macca. We weren't good against Forest full stop. We were poor in the first, but better in the 2nd half against Brentford yet shit the bed (once again because our defenders fucked up) and we were great against United until we missed the penalty and lost our way. We haven't been good overall though. 

• Like 1

I fail to see how we have a lack of PL quality players. 

Ramsdale 

Sugawara 

Bednarek 

Stephens

Kwp 

Taylor

Downes 

Lallana 

Dibling 

Cornet 

Fraser 

Are all example of players who have either performed adequately or better in this league before or who I believe appear to have the necessary talent to be described as Premier league quality. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I fail to see how we have a lack of PL quality players. 

Ramsdale 

Sugawara 

Bednarek 

Stephens

Kwp 

Taylor

Downes 

Lallana 

Dibling 

Cornet 

Fraser 

Are all example of players who have either performed adequately or better in this league before or who I believe appear to have the necessary talent to be described as Premier league quality. 

FRASER not proven yet imo but FERNANDES and LESLEY Ugo will be star quality. Yes, we can be Premier quality given a bit of time, and there isn't much time before panic buttons get pressed

16 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

FRASER not proven yet imo but FERNANDES and LESLEY Ugo will be star quality. Yes, we can be Premier quality given a bit of time, and there isn't much time before panic buttons get pressed

Fraser has a proven history of performing to a good standard in this league. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Fraser is the only one of those 3 who is proven at this level. The other 2 may go on to do well, but they ain't proven (yet) at this level. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, egg said:

Fraser is the only one of those 3 who is proven at this level. The other 2 may go on to do well, but they ain't proven (yet) at this level. 

Yes that was my point. Likely in my view that lesley and Fernandes will be deemed premier league quality but certainly not yet. 

On 19/09/2024 at 15:58, ErwinK1961 said:

ABK was a bad egg in our last relegation season.

He was given the opportunity to knuckle down and be involved last season, he wanted nothing to do with it and wanted out. No one would pay what we wanted, he (and we) ran out of options and ended up on loan at PSV.

Same happened start of this pre-season, again he wanted out. Club lowered asking price to try and get a sale, again not a huge amount of interest. Eventually they thought sale was happening but as we all know it fell through and there were no other offers club was willing to accept. 

He’s been given two opportunities to knuckle down and muck in, twice he’s snubbed it. Now he’s got nowhere else to turn until January and his careers on the wain.

Who knows, maybe the penny will drop with him and he’ll realise his best bet is to be invested in the team. But up to now his attitude sucks, putting a post on instagram when he has literally nowhere else to turn, isn’t going to change that.

If he does want to sort himself out, it would be a big plus as he’s clearly got ability. But he’s also not worth comprising team spirit for in my opinion, he isn’t going to be the difference maker in keeping us up. 

What's the actual source of this??

30 minutes ago, Oh no Mick Mills said:

ABK didn't really make much difference the year he played for us as we were relegated on 26 points. 

Does seem a bit odd this build up thread having so much discussion about a player who hasn't featured for so long a lot of fans will have even forgotten he plays for us. 

U21 line up tonight could give some clues on who won't feature. 

• Like 2

Worth noting that Fraser was a lot quicker when he was proven in the Premier League. 

He's a good finisher, probably our best last season when given the chance. He just needs to get into those positions, but it's a bit harder with his pace on the decline now against Premier League defences.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

The 14 league games he didn’t play in, we lost 10 of them, conceding 26 goals - an average of 1.85 goals per game. 

Exactly this. He couldn't get out of here quick enough last summer, he went missing in key games, was part the shittest top flight teams we've ever had and now there is a clamour for him to come back because he's our best defender 🤣

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

Another one that feels like win or bust, no game this early is really a must win but this definitely feels like it.

lets be honest if we cant beat one of our relegation rivals at home then we dont deserve to stay up. These are the sort of games you have to win to even have a chance. Ipswich and Leicester at home, Bournemouth away, plus Man City and Arsenal away in our next 5. Got to be winning the two home games as a minimum

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Worth noting that Fraser was a lot quicker when he was proven in the Premier League. 

He's a good finisher, probably our best last season when given the chance. He just needs to get into those positions, but it's a bit harder with his pace on the decline now against Premier League defences.

Lost half a yard but still decent acceleration and a lot of craft/know how at PL level, which we aren’t exactly blessed with right now.

• Like 1