Saints v Ipswich - Saturday 3pm

maysie

Obviously a massive game and need to win or at least not lose. I’m a bit stumped by full back position at the moment. Sugawara has been great and we all know what KWP can do. However I do think having a right footed left back unbalances us (as it does most teams - see England in the Summer) and I’ve been quietly impressed by Taylor at LB- would be a brave choice from the manager though.

• Like 2

I'd like a 4231 with 

Ramsdale

Suga     THB    bedders   Taylor

Downes   Les

KWP         Fernandes     Fraser 

Archer 

I know we won't play this and there is an argument for Cornet coming in if he's fit enough but for me this could suit us better, also although could have done better with goal THB looked more relaxed in a 4, I would like to see ABK and TP on the bench though 

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I'd like a 4231 with 

Ramsdale

Suga     THB    bedders   Taylor

Downes   Les

KWP         Fernandes     Fraser 

Archer 

I know we won't play this and there is an argument for Cornet coming in if he's fit enough but for me this could suit us better, also although could have done better with goal THB looked more relaxed in a 4, I would like to see ABK and TP on the bench though 

No mention of our best player at the moment?

3 hours ago, trousers said:

----------- Ramsdale ---------

Suga - THB - Bednarek - KWP

------Downes ---- Les -------

----------- Lallana ------------

-- Dibling ------- Fernandes -- 

------------ Archer -----------

No width on the left. Put Fernandes where Lallana is and Cornet on the left for me.

• Like 1

Not many selection decisions; gk, back 4 and Dibling pick themselves

Decision 1 - which 3 of Les, Lallana, Downes and Fernandes (I’d personally go Les, Lallana and Fernandes)

Decision 2 who plays left wing. As it’s right-footed KWP at left back they need a left foot. Id personally go Cornet to start, perfectly happy if it’s Fraser. I don’t see how BBD deserves to play here. 

Decision 3 who plays up front. Guessing Stewart isn’t ready for a start so that leaves Archer.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

Think this would be my choice too.  Obviously need a plan B for when Lallana runs out of steam.  

Be interesting to see how Ipswich set up.  Delap looks more of a handful these days - strong, direct, quick.  Hopefully its attack vs defence and we create some chances and take them!

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

No doubt about it, big game, three points a must to kick-start our season. Crowd really need to step up, let's do our bit.

Bring the noise.

100% yes

If we’re going to stand a chance of staying up the fans need to realise that they have a massive part to play even if (or when) it isn’t going our way 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

100% yes

If we’re going to stand a chance of staying up the fans need to realise that they have a massive part to play even if (or when) it isn’t going our way 

Agree, atmosphere has been rubbish so far. Forget the first 4 games, season starts now , got to be up for it and really get behind them for once. 

The Suga KWP conundrum… 

Sugawara has settled in much quicker than I thought he would, clearly an excellent RB. 

KWP arguably the best outfield player we have. 

As we have a viable option to start a left footed left back in Charlie Taylor, could we maximise our RB options by starting with KWP; he guns it for 60 minutes, until he gasses then we finish with Suga. Keeps the intensity really high on the right side, whilst the left is balanced. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

The Suga KWP conundrum… 

Sugawara has settled in much quicker than I thought he would, clearly an excellent RB. 

KWP arguably the best outfield player we have. 

As we have a viable option to start a left footed left back in Charlie Taylor, could we maximise our RB options by starting with KWP; he guns it for 60 minutes, until he gasses then we finish with Suga. Keeps the intensity really high on the right side, whilst the left is balanced. 

Its a big question. Also need to consider the partnership - Cornet as a natural left footer could be a good pairing with KWP once he has gained fitness. Until then I just don't think BBD and KWP works as both want to come inside.

Fraser is also a bit more direct and will run on the outside so I think if we play KWP at LB it has to be either Fraser or Cornet ahead of him.

If the intention has always been to play BBD on the left then surely there were better options to sign who are more suited to our way of playing?!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trousers said:

I'd have that but with Lallana and Fernandes swapped round so Lallana is playing off the left, with KWP and Suga under instructions to get forward on the overlap to provide the width. Cornet on for Dibling and Fraser on for Lallana when they tire in the second half. 

BBD just doesn't look starting quality to me, especially not wide left where we've got options who are better with the ball at their feet, better at picking a pass, more intelligent and just generally look like more cultured footballers who suit our system more effectively. I'd drop him to the bench and consider either him or Stewart as the option to bring on more centrally in the second half if it's not happening for Archer. 

Need to find a way to scratch out three points here by hook or by crook, because if we don't I think the knives will be sharpening for RM. I also think he knows this, going from a couple of his recent post-match comments. 

I think we'll do it. Couple of early goals to calm everyone down and then olé it for the rest of the game to secure those sweet, sweet 83% possession stats.

2-0 Saints. COYR. 

Edited by Midfield_General

It’s a tough one to call, but I just don’t see enough dynamics and guile in our forward play to score the number of goals necessary to win a game of football. Ipswich have a good coaching team and they look good value. They’ll know how to counter high possession and be aggressive in their press. Think this will be the first nail in RM’s proverbial coffin sadly.

64% possession. 0-2.

4 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Think this would be my choice too.  Obviously need a plan B for when Lallana runs out of steam.  

Be interesting to see how Ipswich set up.  Delap looks more of a handful these days - strong, direct, quick.  Hopefully it’s attack vs defence and we create some chances and take them!

When Lallana is tired, move Fernandes back and replace with Cornet. The good thing about Lallana in the starting line up is a player with strong premier league experience. 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Expecting to see more pedestrian, walking football played in a 4-3-3 formation that hasn't and won't work for us. 

Apart from the majority of last season where we got promoted and went 26 games unbeaten playing a 4-3-3? I don’t see the formation as the issue. We need to improve for sure but I actually think 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 suits us well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpweySaint said:

Apart from the majority of last season where we got promoted and went 26 games unbeaten playing a 4-3-3? I don’t see the formation as the issue. We need to improve for sure but I actually think 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 suits us well.

We don't play 4-2-3-1 and that's the problem. 

• Like 1

We will pass it around a lot at the back, look pretty good for the first 30mins but create no real chances. Somewhere around the 31minute mark we will give the ball to one of their strikers who will score.

We will then come out after the second half and continue to make 3million passes across the midfield and defence that go absolutely nowhere, and our strikers will be permanently bound to the wings and create nothing.

Some time mid second half we will concede goals 2 and 3. It's at this point i'll leave for the pub.

The full time whistle will sometime around the point we're reaching the pub, we will have had 70% possession and zero shots on goal.

Martin will come out after the game and say how well we played, how he's learned a lot, and how we were the best side for 30mins which counts for a lot.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, franniesTache said:
We will pass it around a lot at the back, look pretty good for the first 30mins but create no real chances. Somewhere around the 31minute mark we will give the ball to one of their strikers who will score.

We will then come out after the second half and continue to make 3million passes across the midfield and defence that go absolutely nowhere, and our strikers will be permanently bound to the wings and create nothing.

Some time mid second half we will concede goals 2 and 3. It's at this point i'll leave for the pub.

The full time whistle will sometime around the point we're reaching the pub, we will have had 70% possession and zero shots on goal.

Martin will come out after the game and say how well we played, how he's learned a lot, and how we were the best side for 30mins which counts for a lot.

Don't forget how brave we were too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That’s not the problem. The problem is that we don’t have anyone that can score goals. 

I think the bigger problem is that we don't create chances for anyone to prove they can score!

It's essentially the same problem as last season - that lack of dynamic attacking intent. The difference being we are now playing against better opposition and coaches, who are much more comfortable holding a defensive shape, so we're getting less chances for the tip-tap, tippy-toe, through the lines efforts that we rely on.

We are basically incredibly easy to play against.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I think the bigger problem is that we don't create chances for anyone to prove they can score!

It's essentially the same problem as last season - that lack of dynamic attacking intent. The difference being we are now playing against better opposition and coaches, who are much more comfortable holding a defensive shape, so we're getting less chances for the tip-tap, tippy-toe, through the lines efforts that we rely on.

We are basically incredibly easy to play against.

From The Times,

Southampton were both lovely to watch and lovely to play against,

and did nothing to shift the suspicion they are the Burnley of the 2024-25 Premier League season.”

• Like 3

I'm still of the opinion we need an up front pairing rather than putting Archer in the middle on his own. If we wanted to play a lone striker, we should have signed a genuine CF. Archer thrives more when he plays off another striker. He played off McBurnie last season and Akpom the year before that. It's unreasonable to expect him to hold the ball up the way Adams could. His strength supposedly lies in his finishing. Perhaps he can form a partnership with Brereton-Diaz?

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm still of the opinion we need an up front pairing rather than putting Archer in the middle on his own. If we wanted to play a lone striker, we should have signed a genuine CF. Archer thrives more when he plays off another striker. He played off McBurnie last season and Akpom the year before that. It's unreasonable to expect him to hold the ball up the way Adams could. His strength supposedly lies in his finishing. Perhaps he can form a partnership with Brereton-Diaz?

Two strikers? No, no, no, no, no. If you did that the passes might go forward, and the players might actually shoot.

What you need to do is drop Archer completely so we can have more players in the midfield to pass the ball around to. A perfect formation in football is 5-5, with none of this stupid shooting stuff. We might even be able to get to the mythical 90% possession if we do that, and as we all know THE RIGHT (tm) way to play football is to pass it around the midfield as much as possible.

I know that to be true because Saint Rob our leader told me.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Still early days but this feels like it may define our season. If we manage to win it we are up and running and everyone feels good. Draw or lose though and we will continue to talk about record low points totals and embarrassment. 

A win will be great and the hope is that it comes off the back of a good performance.

Armel Bella-Kotchap: “The last few weeks have been turbulent and unpredictable, but I‘m 100% fit both physically and mentally. I‘m just waiting for my chance, and I‘ll lead with my performance on the field when the time is ready.” #saintsfc @FabrizioRomano

Probably not for this game but give the boy a chance. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Armel Bella-Kotchap: “The last few weeks have been turbulent and unpredictable, but I‘m 100% fit both physically and mentally. I‘m just waiting for my chance, and I‘ll lead with my performance on the field when the time is ready.” #saintsfc @FabrizioRomano

Should have played last night instead of Wood.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure the lad has done enough to convince Russ that he’s worthy of a place. Not in terms of performances, but in terms of being a proper team player who has some respect.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Ipswich - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
8 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Both teams will see this as a realistic game to win. Hopefully will make for a good game.

We should have beaten them up at their place last season so owe them one.

Ipswich fan i work with

"We had 6 points off you last season and I see no reason why we won't do it again. McKenna will have the better of Martin" 

I get they don't like Martin due to his Norwich connections so will be keen to get one over him again. 

3 hours ago, saintant said:

You'll score few goals if you don't create many chances. It's a formation issue.

We created plenty of chances last year playing 433. Man City and Liverpool have spent the last decade creating plenty of chances playing 433. Tweaking the midfield 3 into a 4231 will not solve the fact we don’t have a competent striker to lead the line. 
You could argue how we play (I.e. attacking intent, more frequent and faster passes forward) will influence the frequency and quality of chances created. But pinning it on the formation itself is simply incorrect.

But even with better chances, we’ll still struggle to score because we don’t have a competent striker

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

We created plenty of chances last year playing 433. Man City and Liverpool have spent the last decade creating plenty of chances playing 433. Tweaking the midfield 3 into a 4231 will not solve the fact we don’t have a competent striker to lead the line. 
You could argue how we play (I.e. attacking intent, more frequent and faster passes forward) will influence the frequency and quality of chances created. But pinning it on the formation itself is simply incorrect.

But even with better chances, we’ll still struggle to score because we don’t have a competent striker

You contradict yourself by saying we scored plenty of goals last season while saying we don't have a competent striker. How many goals did AA score last season?