New manager

Kaiser Soze

As above probably 3 players short BUT we do have enough to finish 15/16 BUT not under Rusty , the defensive organisation is dreadful and as demonstrated in his previous jobs this is unlikely to change, I do disagree with the style being on SR, that was all Wilcox as the 1st week in utd job he tried to do the same with ETH, SR/RA appointed mad Nate, that certainly wasn't possession based football

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

As above probably 3 players short BUT we do have enough to finish 15/16 BUT not under Rusty , the defensive organisation is dreadful and as demonstrated in his previous jobs this is unlikely to change, I do disagree with the style being on SR, that was all Wilcox as the 1st week in utd job he tried to do the same with ETH, SR/RA appointed mad Nate, that certainly wasn't possession based football

May I ask would you have said this in May? I dont understand why so many were unrealistic our fans are. We finished 4th in the Championship and so 

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Where do you rate our squad in the EPL? 

I think bottom quarter is generous - bottom 3 / 4 accurate. 

We are arguably 3 players, at least, short of a mid table team. 

We don't have a top 18 team imo, which to me means our Manager needs to a lot more talented than those around us. He's not, but then I don't know who we'd bring in that would be. 

12 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We don't have a top 18 team imo, which to me means our Manager needs to a lot more talented than those around us. He's not, but then I don't know who we'd bring in that would be. 

Surely if SR value staying up, then its going to have to be someone in the Moyes mould. Experienced, able to organise teams. Dare I say it, something like Everton have done with Dyche. We all laugh at them, but at least they have managed to stay up by grinding out results when it matters. When your squad is limited, you make the most of what you have. Pretty football goes out the window as results far outweigh the need of a performance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

There’s growing news of Potter looking at a Prem return. Not saying that could be Saints, but there’s every chance he’d do as good if not better job than Russ with the players at his disposal right now and I think he’d be wholly welcomed if Russ and Co can’t muster a win by the end of October. SR would be daft not to explore him as an option.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We went from Hughes -> Ralph, which was a huge upgrade. Bournemouth have recently employed a better coach than they had. 

I don't buy this "we can't do better than a failing manager" nonsense and never have. 

If we do actively employ someone better is a different arguement, but there are plently out there who'd be interested in a steppong stone into the PL and improve us instantly. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

May I ask would you have said this in May? I dont understand why so many were unrealistic our fans are. We finished 4th in the Championship and so 

We finished 4th in a 3 horse race with 1 of the most expensive squads in championship,  it was great and fair do's but we let in 60+ goals but we were lucky enough to have enough championship firepower to outweigh that, this year we haven't so we need to be harder to beat/breakdown that's where you start from and from what I've seen now and know of the last 4 seasons and letting in 60+ goals RM is not the right manager, what's unrealistic about aiming for 15/16th , so many noddy fans with no ambition and think we should just go down and come back up the following season, maybe like Semmens we should be grateful we're playing Bournemouth 

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

There’s growing news of Potter looking at a Prem return. Not saying that could be Saints, but there’s every chance he’d do as good if not better job than Russ with the players at his disposal right now and I think he’d be wholly welcomed if Russ and Co can’t muster a win by the end of October. SR would be daft not to explore him as an option.

If that is the case and is genuine I fear that if we wait until the end of October then a club such as Everton will have beaten us to him. He may not want to come but the conversation should be had and the esrlier the better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dman said:

We went from Hughes -> Ralph, which was a huge upgrade. Bournemouth have recently employed a better coach than they had. 

I don't buy this "we can't do better than a failing manager" nonsense and never have. 

If we do actively employ someone better is a different arguement, but there are plently out there who'd be interested in a steppong stone into the PL and improve us instantly. 

Agree with this. When we sacked Hughes December 2018 we were in 18th place, 14 played and 9 points.  Replaced by Hassenhutl, the RB Leipzeig manager who has just finished second and sixth in consecutive seasons in the Bundesliga, recently resigned because he wasn't prepared to keep the seat warm for Nagelsman. Instant improvement with the same side - RH achieved 30 points in 24 games. That's the kind of galvanising calibre (players and fans) we need now if Martin cannot turn things around tout suite.   

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Agree with this. When we sacked Hughes December 2018 we were in 18th place, 14 played and 9 points.  Replaced by Hassenhutl, the RB Leipzeig manager who has just finished second and sixth in consecutive seasons in the Bundesliga, recently resigned because he wasn't prepared to keep the seat warm for Nagelsman. Instant improvement with the same side - RH achieved 30 points in 24 games. That's the kind of galvanising calibre (players and fans) we need now if Martin cannot turn things around tout suite.   

Also Adkins to relative unknown Pochettino too.

No idea why it's happened but since Ralph a section of our support seem to have developed a cult like view of managers where you can't possibly criticise them our call for change, it sometimes feels like some people support the manager more than the club itself.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Also Adkins to relative unknown Pochettino too.

No idea why it's happened but since Ralph a section of our support seem to have developed a cult like view of managers where you can't possibly criticise them our call for change, it sometimes feels like some people support the manager more than the club itself.

It is indeed strange.  There were some who were disappointed that the lunatic Jones was sacked, seeing him as a long-term appointment to bring us back up from the Championship.  This was when we'd been a PL club for getting on for 12 years. 

21 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

It is indeed strange.  There were some who were disappointed that the lunatic Jones was sacked, seeing him as a long-term appointment to bring us back up from the Championship.  This was when we'd been a PL club for getting on for 12 years. 

There can't have been by the end, surely. I knew his days were numbered after Boxing Day, but I understood a lot of people wanted to give him a chance. Some people just seem oblivious to the fact that people have watched their team for decades might actually know what they're talking about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Surely if SR value staying up, then its going to have to be someone in the Moyes mould. Experienced, able to organise teams. Dare I say it, something like Everton have done with Dyche. We all laugh at them, but at least they have managed to stay up by grinding out results when it matters. When your squad is limited, you make the most of what you have. Pretty football goes out the window as results far outweigh the need of a performance.

Sounds shit though. I'd prefer to be in the Championship I think rather than living in the Prem with no hope. 

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Awful football though. Makes Dyche look expansive and fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

That's fine, but who. 

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Sounds shit though. I'd prefer to be in the Championship I think rather than living in the Prem with no hope. 

I know what you mean, but it's not a great argument. Too long in the Championship and the club would slowly disintegrate, especially one of our size.

The Premier League is tough but the blueprint at the moment is you have to get up, invest wisely, be hard to beat for two or three seasons and then start to reinvent yourself and make a big push with three or four seasons of money behind you.

We've tried to rip that up and launch straight into playing terrorball from day dot.

Fulham and Bournemouth are great examples of how to do it right, and I hope they get their day in the sun in Europe - which unfortunately looks like the limit of what is possible at the moment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

That's fine, but who. 

I could give you a whole host of names I think would be interested - but its a pointless exercise as; 

1. I'm not paid by the club to identify targets for that exact situation 

2. I'm not the one having discussions, offering salaries, selling the club to agents / managers. 

Here's a list of managers currently out of contract, are you seriously sayin that on this list there isn't 1 who is better for the club (more likley to keep us up) and would be intersted in a foot in the door to the PL..? 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Its the job of those who fit criteria number 1. to find the right man and for criteria number 2. to sell them the project. 

If you want names, Potter would be the obvious one high up the list. Low as a left field choice. Ambitious shout, someone like Sarri who'd fit the profile / style that the club seemingly want to play. 

That's without even considering someone in europe that's in management already. 

26 minutes ago, trousers said:

Call me a wishful thinking nutcase but, if Martin ends up getting the boot, I reckon we should entice Koeman to return to his spirtual (English) home..... :)

ronald koeman no GIF by Southampton FC

image.png.bf9628c4072a95c8dd58dd4556d6b137.png

I can't see him leaving the dutch national team for us but that's a man who'd get a tune out of Sulemana and TP, I'm absoultely sure of it. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

That's fine, but who. 

Over the past decade in the Prem our quartet of best managers for most would be Pochettino, Koeman, Puel (I know...), and Hassenhutl.  In each case these names weren't on the fans shortlists or media radar but they all had potential or pedigree.  You would think that in a multi-million pound business overseen by a billionaire chairman that reach and ambition would stretch further than Jones, Selles, and Martin.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Over the past decade in the Prem our quartet of best managers for most would be Pochettino, Koeman, Puel (I know...), and Hassenhutl.  In each case these names weren't on the fans shortlists or media radar but they all had potential or pedigree.  You would think that in a multi-million pound business overseen by a billionaire chairman that reach and ambition would stretch further than Jones, Selles, and Martin.  

You just demonstrated the limited football knowledge  and the mindset of those in charge of appointing a manager for Southampton FC.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Where do you rate our squad in the EPL? 

I think bottom quarter is generous - bottom 3 / 4 accurate. 

We are arguably 3 players, at least, short of a mid table team. 

Is our squad even that bad? 

Ramsdale - top 6 keeper, ridiculously lucky to have him. 

KWP / Suga - Both solid options at RB for a PL side outside the top 6.

THB, Bednerak, Stephens - Yeah, not good enough. All are back ups (at best) at most PL sides.

Taylor - Hmmm no thrills, 6or7/10 player. Would be a decent option for most promoted sides. 

Downes / Big Les - Both PL players, get into most bottom half sides as starters or regular squad options. 

Fernandes - Early doors, looks like hes going to be a player, defo gets into most bottom half prem sides. 

Lallana - incredibly, still a PL player for me. would get into most bottom half sides. 

Aribo - championship player

Dibbling - Looks the real deal. On current form, would get into any PL side. 

Archer - Championship player.

Stewart - Championship player

Fraser - Championship player

Armstrong - Championship player

BBD - Championship player 

Then you have options not considered under the current management for 1 reason or another; 

Tall Paul - Hard to judge, scored whereever he's been. Under the right manager, could easily be a PL player. No worse than any of the other options. 

Sulemana - Again, not really seen enough to judge him. Been dissapointing but never had a real run. Doesn't suit the current system, under a new manager, could easily flourish. 

ABK - PL player. Shite attitude. 

So other than the CB's and attacking line, I'd argue we've got a more than strong enough squad to stay up (or at least give a good go) under the right management. If someone can get a tune out of ABK, TP and Sulemana - that's a side which is more than capable of staying up... imo.  

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

From the horse's mouth, today: 

Former Chelsea manager Graham Potter says club football is more "rewarding" than international management as he considers his next job, 17 months on from the "frustration, anger and maybe bitterness" which followed his Stamford Bridge sacking.

Speaking to the Telegraph, Potter said he has "felt ready to return for a little while" after he was dismissed following less than seven months in charge of Chelsea amid a "perfect storm" in April 2023.

He was the Blues' first managerial appointment following Todd Boehly's takeover and oversaw a record £323m outlay in the 2023 January transfer window.

"It still has to be the right thing, but I’m excited for it. I’m excited to hear what the opportunities are and I’ll take each one and judge it on its merits," Potter said.

"International management is a different rhythm and there are pluses for that. It’s more intense when it’s on, but you’ve got a bit more breathing space in between.

"It’s nothing that I’ve ruled out, but at the same time I do like the day-to-day bit of working with the players and being in at the club and trying to build and make a difference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c749n4ej9nko

• Like 1

Re Potter:

I'd say that West Ham will be looking at him if Lopetegui doesn't improve sharpish.

Everton as well, if they get new owners in who want to put their stamp on the place and replace Dyche.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Newcastle too. Rumours that Howe might walk as he can't work with Mitchell and his stock is high. If Carsley doesn't get the England job then I think Howe would take that, if offered, which it probably would be. So I can see Potter waiting with interest to see if the Newcastle job comes up, not that he'd necessarily get it. 

I bet we're sounding him out though, and I'd be surprised if he didn't at least engage with us on some level if we did. 

I personally want to stick with Martin and give him more time, but if he does go, I wouldn't rule Potter out completely. We’d probably need a bit of luck with timings and what else is available at the time, but if things aligned, then stranger things have happened. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Re Potter:

I'd say that West Ham will be looking at him if Lopetegui doesn't improve sharpish.

Everton as well, if they get new owners in who want to put their stamp on the place and replace Dyche.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Newcastle too. Rumours that Howe might walk as he can't work with Mitchell and his stock is high. If Carsley doesn't get the England job then I think Howe would take that, if offered, which it probably would be. So I can see Potter waiting with interest to see if the Newcastle job comes up, not that he'd necessarily get it. 

I bet we're sounding him out though, and I'd be surprised if he didn't at least engage with us on some level if we did. 

I personally want to stick with Martin and give him more time, but if he does go, I wouldn't rule Potter out completely. Stranger things have happened. 

Modern football in a nutshell. Good job people didnt have this mindset in the 70's because Lawrie McMenemy wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes. Neither would Fergie. I've said before, everyone whinges when managers leave for bigger and better things, call them snake emoji's etc and complain about how "THERE'S NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL ANYMORE!!!" yet all it takes is a few bad games and suddenly fans want the manager gone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Modern football in a nutshell. Good job people didnt have this mindset in the 70's because Lawrie McMenemy wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes. Neither would Fergie. I've said before, everyone whinges when managers leave for bigger and better things, call them snake emoji's etc and complain about how "THERE'S NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL ANYMORE!!!" yet all it takes is a few bad games and suddenly fans want the manager gone.

Martin’s teams concede goals without even thinking about it. This is evident after several seasons and not just a few bad games. They have all been consistent in this and are not going to change no matter how long he stays here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

I personally want to stick with Martin and give him more time, 

How far adrift at the bottom do you want to be before you decide enough is enough?

Unfortunately I don't believe that time is one luxury any manager has in the Premier League. You've pretty much got to get it right straight away.

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Plus, in that example, it’s West Ham, whose fans aren’t exactly known for their patience and getting behind a struggling manager. 

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Martin’s teams concede goals without even thinking about it. This is evident after several seasons and not just a few bad games. They have all been consistent in this and are not going to change no matter how long he stays here.

They also score goals. It IS a few bad games because last season, he and the team did what was expected/hoped of them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Plus, in that example, it’s West Ham, whose fans aren’t exactly known for their patience and getting behind a struggling manager. 

Yes but we aren't either. The PL regulars but those outside the "big 6" are awful for it. Us, Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton - All incredibly Karenish fans who have probably been spoilt by respective overachieving periods and now have come to expect and demand it all the time.

The last manager who was ACTUALLY backed by fans was probably Adkins or Pardew. When I say backed I mean stuck by when things wern't going well. Not just praised often and just given the benefit of the doubt over a frustrating draw against a slightly lower team. Poch/Koeman didn't really have any extended bad periods and after that, fans turned on managers at the drop of a hat. Though having said about Koeman, I seem to remember more than a couple of people calling for him to go after the 3-0 home defeat to Everton at the start of his second season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes but we aren't either. The PL regulars but those outside the "big 6" are awful for it. Us, Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton - All incredibly Karenish fans who have probably been spoilt by respective overachieving periods and now have come to expect and demand it all the time.

The last manager who was ACTUALLY backed by fans was probably Adkins or Pardew. When I say backed I mean stuck by when things wern't going well. Not just praised often and just given the benefit of the doubt over a frustrating draw against a slightly lower team. Poch/Koeman didn't really have any extended bad periods and after that, fans turned on managers at the drop of a hat. Though having said about Koeman, I seem to remember more than a couple of people calling for him to go after the 3-0 home defeat to Everton at the start of his second season.

Not sure I agree with that. Ralph got pretty good support through some very poor periods and not one but two 9-0 hammerings. I actually thought our fanbase generally stuck with him remarkably well and didn’t turn toxic when it would have been very easy to. 

Jones was the wrong appointment from the start and no-one wanted him so he didn’t stand a chance. Selles inherited a pretty much sunk ship. 

For Martin, apart from online and threads like this, I think he’s still got most of the match-going crowd behind him. I still haven’t heard much booing at all, which after 1 point from 5 games and some pretty disappointing performances, doesn’t really suggest our fans are a total bunch of spoilt bitches. Online keyboard warriors are a different story, but I’d argue that that’s the same for almost all clubs. 

8 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Not sure I agree with that. Ralph got pretty good support through some very poor periods and not one but two 9-0 hammerings. I actually thought our fanbase generally stuck with him remarkably well and didn’t turn toxic when it would have been very easy to. 

Jones was the wrong appointment from the start and no-one wanted him so he didn’t stand a chance. Selles inherited a pretty much sunk ship. 

For Martin, apart from online and threads like this, I think he’s still got most of the match-going crowd behind him. I still haven’t heard much booing at all, which after 4 defeats from 4 and some pretty disappointing performances, doesn’t really suggest our fans are a total bunch of spoilt bitches. Online keyboard warriors are a different story, but I’d argue that that’s the same for almost all clubs. 

Ralph's atmopshere was INCREDIBLY toxic when things were going bad. Yes, he got plenty of support and love during the good bits but that's not what I meant. The vast majority wanted him gone after each 9-0, rightly or wrongly.

Jones was obviously not right but again, fans didn't help. I remember one comment on either here or social media a while ago said they they decided in the first 5 minutes of his first game in charge (a cup game) that they wernt going to support him. If that's not fans being part of the problem, I'm not sure what is. He probably wouldn't have been any of our choices but the fact is he was THE choice. The best thing to do would have been to get behind him. That 100% wasn't done. He had to go in the end but fans didn't help.

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

How far adrift at the bottom do you want to be before you decide enough is enough?

Unfortunately I don't believe that time is one luxury any manager has in the Premier League. You've pretty much got to get it right straight away.

The thing is though, we're not cut adrift at the bottom, nowhere near it. One win and we can go 14th. I don't think anyone will be cut adrift anytime soon either, because I can't see that any of the current bottom six are good enough to suddenly put a run together. 

We've only played five league games, and in my opinion there are some signs of improvement. The shape is looking better, the playing out is a bit less suicidal and we're now starting some of the more exciting players. Obviously the acid test is whether that improvement can continue and turn into results, and time will tell on that. 

I'd wait until we've played Bournemouth, Arsenal, Leicester, City, Everton and Wolves. I'd feel Russ has had a fair crack of the whip by then, and if we're still not competitive by then, then it's probably time for a change while there's still enough games left. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I'd wait until we've played  lost to Bournemouth, Arsenal, Leicester, City, Everton and Wolves. I'd feel Russ has had a fair crack of the whip by then, and if we're still not competitive by then, then it's probably time for a change while there's still enough games left. 

Edited version for the pessimists and cynics amongst us.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

exactly, Brighton were dire to watch and it took him ages to get them anywhere decent. They didnt score for a toffee for long spells. 

and what our current coaching is any better?.........................................................................................

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If you would rather not be in the PL for hope reasons, what would the hope be in the Championship?

Catch-22 - Wikipedia

It's not for hope reasons, it's for entertainment reasons - the hope is the hope of fun football as we'll never do anything in the PL anyway. Hoping to stay up is such a sad indictment on an individual I think, and shows someone that has the wrong outlook on life personally. Life is about fun and making the most of it, not hoping to be 4 bottom in an underwhelming and unentertaining season. 

Tbh, it's why the NFL shits all over association football. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

and what our current coaching is any better?.........................................................................................

We have the ability to be entertaining, a lot. Yes, we've not been great so far but we've still seen a fair amount of decent football against Newcastle, Man United and Ipswich. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

It's not for hope reasons, it's for entertainment reasons - the hope is the hope of fun football as we'll never do anything in the PL anyway. Hoping to stay up is such a sad indictment on an individual I think, and shows someone that has the wrong outlook on life personally. Life is about fun and making the most of it, not hoping to be 4 bottom in an underwhelming and unentertaining season. 

Tbh, it's why the NFL shits all over association football. 

To be fair we had some utter dogshit games last season with long, mind numbing periods of square passes and turning attack into defence without the opposition get a look in.  The results largely went our way though, so the boring shit was overlooked.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2024 at 10:15, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Just want someone who can make us difficult to beat and competitive, of which we are neither at the moment. This squad is more than capable of staying up, we just need to give ourselves the best possible chance. 

This isn't a premier league squad in terms of quality, no chance. Only two league goals scored and we don't look capable of keeping clean sheets! Add to that, there aren't 3 teams weaker than us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair we had some utter dogshit games last season with long, mind numbing periods of square passes and turning attack into defence without the opposition get a look in.  The results largely went our way though, so the boring shit was overlooked.

Entertainment is subjective then I guess - we also played better football at times than we've seen since the early 80s.

The squad only has about 5 or 6 PL quality players at the very most (Ramsdale, Suga (maybe), KWP (although not playing like it this season), Downes (maybe), Fernandes (maybe) and Dibling - I reckon that puts us at either 19th or 20th in the League, and WAYYYY behind anyone who was in this League last season. 

Edited by Farmer Saint