New manager

Kaiser Soze

12 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Reckon the lad who got Southampton promoted last year is a better bet than two people who don’t have that on their CV imo.

By that logic, I'm surprised Brighton didn't go for Martin in the summer rather than the CV-lite Fabian Hürzeler... ;)

#nonsequitur

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

By that logic, I'm surprised Brighton didn't go for Martin in the summer rather than the CV-lite Fabian Hürzeler... ;)

#nonsequitur

Brighton don’t need anyone to deliver them a promotion though do they.

Anyway, I was being flippant because a lot of posts on here about Martin are obsessed with his CV being a mid table Championship manager and yet will happily call for Corberan or even Eustace in this instance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Anyway, I was being flippant because a lot of posts on here about Martin are obsessed with his CV being a mid table Championship manager and yet will happily call for Corberan or even Eustace in this instance.

We aren't likely to attract a big name with a track record in the Premier League so, for us, it has to be about judging someone's potential and looking at their values and approach to the game. Not easy to get it right of course as we know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Aye, and neither do we this season.... ;) 

Yep, also agree 👍

FWIW, I still reckon Russ will come good this season and we can all have a jolly good chortle back at this thread in May :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well we disagree again Whitey.

I reckon RM’s Saints do have intent on scoring a goal and they all ( first team squad anyway) share intent on glory. 

In my eyes, it’s just that the intent in scoring and the passion comes in a new wrapper for RM led Saints.

That you - and many others- consider saints boring or sleepwalking footballers is a fair comment. Do not disagree at times either. But I think that’s too broad a brush, too general  a classification. Reduces the issue down to a not really all that helpful base level. 

That ground level argument, which has a lot of support I know, devalues or blatantly ignores some of the positives and some of the changes ( yes that stubborn idiot Martin does make changes after all but the legend that he does not is stronger than the reality at present) already trialled. 

There are many adjustments Russell has made along the course of these opening matches - indeed he is now criticised for making too MANY changes. Too few or too many. It’s Goldilocks territory! 😂.

But of all the faults you regularly identify one Im certain none of the players would agree with is your assessment of them as passionless. Some are not as invested as others - but the bulk are all-in far as I’m concerned. The Manager, Flynn, THB, Yuki, Tyler, Mateus, Weeman, Ramsdale   with his knee slide when we scored - this is not a passionless minority of the starters from Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Aye, and neither do we this season.... ;) 

Yep, also agree 👍

We won't attract many managers with proven Premier League experience other than perhaps David Moyes. So this leaves us trying to unearth a Championship manager with potential or a foreign manager.

We have a team relatively light on Premier League experience.  In my opinion, we need an experienced manager to lead an inexperienced squad.

Rasmus is obsessed with going for a left-field name and looking like a genius though.  I would take him out of the decision-making bubble on this one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

All but last season, when we had the 3rd best side & budget (still finished 4th), has Martin come close to promotion from the championship. For reference, Corberan's record in the championship; 

20-21 (first season in management) - Huddersfiled - 20th. 

21-22 - Huddersfield - 3rd

22-23 (joined in october West Brom 2nd bottom after 16 games) - West Brom - 9th 

23-24 - west brom - 5th.

Compared to Martin; 

20-21 - MK Dons - 13th L1 

21-22 - Swansea - 15th 

22-23 - Swansea - 10th 

Eustace a little harder to compare as he has a bit more of a scratchy record. But looking at it, he had a piss poor Birmingham side fighting for the play-offs until ridiculously sacked (who then went down) and looks to be doing something similar at Blackburn. 

Given the resources avalible to all 3, I'm not convinced Martin could achieve what the other 2 had at their respective clubs.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Dont moan about the quality of football if its him then.

well the quality of football can't be any worse than 5 games, 1 point, 2 goals for and 9 against... can it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Is his football ugly? I always thought Brighton looked very tidy, moving the ball through midfield at pace.

Brighton fans used to moan about his style. There was a press conference where he had a go at them for criticising him.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

As you all continue your melt down over Martin there’s 5 other managers without a win in the PL this season. All with various experiences, tactics, beards and reputations on here.

Which means there must be 12 managers with a win plus there are 17 managers with more points - make of that what you will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

As you all continue your melt down over Martin there’s 5 other managers without a win in the PL this season. All with various experiences, tactics, beards and reputations on here.

Of all the managers yet to register a win, the hipster c*nt beardwatch breaks down as follows:

15th: Steve Cooper: clean shaven

16th: Oliver Glasner: clean shaven

17th: Kieran McKenna: clean shaven

----RELEGATION ZONE----

18th: Russ: thick, manly beard; possibly dyed, almost certainly softened and fragranced

19th: Sean Dyche: abrasive ginger disc beard; flecked with gravy

20th: Gary O'Neil: scraggly heavy stubble; on the cusp of being a greybeard 

You have to admit, the data doesn't lie. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Of all the managers yet to register a win, the hipster c*nt beardwatch breaks down as follows:

----RELEGATION ZONE---

18th: Russ: thick, manly beard, almost certainly softened and fragranced

19th: Sean Dyche: abrasive ginger disc beard

20th: Gary O'Neil: scraggly heavy stubble, on the cusp of being a greybeard 

That's a decent initial analysis, but I feel it needs to go further.

What are their xSk2Vs?*

*(expected Skinny jeans to Visible socks).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 of them have kept newly promoted teams up in their first season, a miracle according to some on here. One finished above the Lego lad with a worse squad and is also unbeaten in 3 head to heads with his Southampton side. One is Sean Dyche who has won nearly 100 premier league games and the other has won the Europa league. 

I’d put all their CV’s above our lads any day. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

----RELEGATION ZONE----

18th: Russ: thick, manly beard; possibly dyed, almost certainly softened and fragranced

Excellent evaluative analysis, but I have empirical evidence that these days Russ's beard smells of Sushi. 

• Haha 3

On 21/09/2024 at 08:56, Badger said:

Saw the BBC Gossip Column , and reference to it on the Russell Martin thread, mentioning our interest in John Eustace.

Ever since his playing days, I can't not hear his name as John Useless.

On that basis, I'm a no.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

----RELEGATION ZONE----

Need to know their vaping habits.

6 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ideal manager would be Potter.  Not sure how realistic he would be though.

Funny that people mentioning potter who I also rate but look at his CV before Brighton, everyone has to start somewhere.

I haven't got an idea myself as our problem seems to be our defenders and forwards.

Where is the ball meant to go, ramsdale to downes all game.

Also shout out to Che scoring goals for top of the league Torino.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

----RELEGATION ZONE----

Post of the season for me. Do keep us updated

• Like 2

On 23/09/2024 at 20:16, ErwinK1961 said:

Wouldn’t be against Corberan or Eustace if we got rid of Martin for next season.

Don’t see any point bringing them in now.

If the trigger is pulled on Martin this season it will undoubtedly be another Sport Republic 'The Football League's Got Talent' masterclass. Further avoidable masochism.

6 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

If the trigger is pulled on Martin this season it will undoubtedly be another Sport Republic 'The Football League's Got Talent' masterclass. Further avoidable masochism.

Was Martin a SR choice or a Willocx choice? imo I think it was probably the latter... 

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

SR has overall responsibility for appointments of course, and if Wilcox's had a man it was probably his colleague Maresca who turned us down. 

That's it though, right? We wanted Meresca (i've no doubt about that), he dind't fancy us so we saw Martin as the second (maybe 3rd, 4th, 5th) best choice?

Just now, Dman said:

That's it though, right? We wanted Meresca (i've no doubt about that), he dind't fancy us so we saw Martin as the second (maybe 3rd, 4th, 5th) best choice?

Probably, but not sure why given Martin's record he would have ever been on Wilcox's radar before the spring of 2023.  Viera was available too at that time and I fancied him to come in via Wilcox's influence, Martin certainly felt left-field and a compromise.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Probably, but not sure why given Martin's record he would have ever been on Wilcox's radar before the spring of 2023.  Viera was available too at that time and I fancied him to come in via Wilcox's influence, Martin certainly felt left-field and a compromise.    

agree - I wanted Vieria as well. Probably missed the boat on that one somewhat, not sure his record has been great post Palace. 

• Like 1

If Russell was sacked Tuesday morning ( w/l or d)  would it be because according to critics he’s got better players than our current position in bottom five or so? 

Or because of his style of football? 

Or because he has lost the dressing room? 

I personally think our current squad is not top ten material - and after 10th it’s a dogfight. 

I don’t think SR are going to change the style of football. If they sack RM we will end up with an RM mk 2 ~ IMO~

And I do not think he has lost the dressing room. Quite the opposite. 

I do not see RM getting sacked at all ~  as long as he and team show they have fight( they do - ask Jack) retain integrity ( ie don’t start flip flopping on how we play) and show signs of development and improvement ( score and pick up points)  and of learning in general ( defending in general). Which they are. 

• Haha 1

Just now, gio1saints said:

If Russell was sacked Tuesday morning ( w/l or d)  would it be because according to critics he’s got better players than our current position in bottom five or so? 

Or because of his style of football? 

Or because he has lost the dressing room? 

I personally think our current squad is not top ten material - and after 10th it’s a dogfight. 

I don’t think SR are going to change the style of football. If they sack RM we will end up with an RM mk 2 ~ IMO~

And I do not think he has lost the dressing room. Quite the opposite. 

I do not see RM getting sacked at all ~  as long as he and team show they have fight( they do - ask Jack) retain integrity ( ie don’t start flip flopping on how we play) and show signs of development and improvement ( score and pick up points)  and of learning in general ( defending in general). Which they are. 

Errrr I dunno m8, probably something to do with the fact we have 1 point after 6 games and look destined to smash the record low points total. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1