New manager

Kaiser Soze

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Henrik Rystrom would be a good choice.

I haven’t got a fucking clue who he is, but being a hipster, I’m in. Has he got a normal head? 

He sounds like another prick who wears skinny jeans and vapes like a cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Henrik Rystrom would be a good choice.

I haven’t got a fucking clue who he is, but being a hipster, I’m in. Has he got a normal head? 

I’m not entirely sure you have any concept of what hipsters are and your obsession with another man’s hairstyle is starting to get really weird.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

This is the most damning thing of all as far as I'm concerned. They failed to bring in a striker for Ralph, and still haven't. I'm not convinced by RM and his tactics but poor buggers chances are reduced further with the feeble strikers at his disposal.

Danny Ings scored a proper striker’s goal on Saturday.  Shame we couldn’t or wouldn’t get that one done.

Archer looked really sharp against Cardiff.  I wouldn’t write him off just yet.  I thought Stewart looked pretty handy when he came on as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He sounds like another prick who wears skinny jeans and vapes like a cunt.

Sounds like the sort of stage act (for the 2020's ) you might find in The Juniper Berry if it were still open. 

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Danny Ings scored a proper striker’s goal on Saturday.  Shame we couldn’t or wouldn’t get that one done.

Archer looked really sharp against Cardiff.  I wouldn’t write him off just yet.  I thought Stewart looked pretty handy when he came on as well.

I don't go along with  the clamour for Ings.

West Ham rely on him being fit enough for a 10-20 minute sub appearance from time to time. We'd have to rely on him being fit most of the season. A tall order given his track record, and not a sensible option given his likely wage.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Badger said:

West Ham rely on him being fit enough for a 10-20 minute sub appearance from time to time. We'd have to rely on him being fit most of the season. A tall order given his track record, and not a sensible option given his likely wage.

hes scored as many goals as the entire squad has this season so maybe we should have gone along with it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hard disagree. Those are the sort of gambles you have to make if you want to stay in this league. Might have been a flop, might have given us a better chance. Probably turned us down anyway but it would have been worth pursuing if that wasn't the case. We clearly needed another striker in the summer, our options up front are Archer and then playing players out of position. 

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hard disagree. Those are the sort of gambles you have to make if you want to stay in this league. Might have been a flop, might have given us a better chance. Probably turned us down anyway but it would have been worth pursuing if that wasn't the case. We clearly needed another striker in the summer, our options up front are Archer and then playing players out of position. 

I’m not a betting man but if I had to, I’d bet on Archer outscoring Ings this season and not vice versa. Given the financial constraints were under, I’d also wager we couldn’t afford both.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not a betting man but if I had to, I’d bet on Archer outscoring Ings this season and not vice versa. Given the financial constraints were under, I’d also wager we couldn’t afford both.

Weren't we reported to have made a big money bid for ionnas that Greek striker? Also that Brazilian one? If Archer does achieve that - no guarantee - then it will only be because he plays way more. Will be interesting to see how their goals per minutes played will compare. 

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think if they both played the same amount of Minutes Ings would easily outscore Archer.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Totally agree we needed another striker ( a proper CF in my book not a short arse who runs around a lot). Dreadful scouting nad recruitment in that department. , 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 20:13, Kaiser Soze said:

So who do you want to save us?

I’d love Potter but would settle for Moyes. Would steady the ship and probably keep us up.

What’s fat Sam doing these days?

What a stupid effing thread, Deluded if you think RM is getting sacked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Totally agree we needed another striker ( a proper CF in my book not a short arse who runs around a lot). Dreadful scouting nad recruitment in that department. , 

We got away with Adams in the championship but arguably we have needed a striker since Broja left. Obviously Stewart was meant to be the one but we shouldn't be relying on him this year. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s an important part of the modern game. We don’t want some scruffy twat on the sidelines. 

All part of the modern era unfortunately. Gone are the days of Lawrie taking to the dugout in suit and full length leather coat, or WGS with shirt, tie, and blazer.

Blame Pep again for that 'just come off the allotment' type appearance, and scruffy fuckers in t-shirts. RM has adopted his own scruffy style, looking like he's just parked up his VW Campervan for a summer of surfing in Newquay.

in may ways I wouldn't give a monkeys if he stood on the touchline in his underpants, just get the team playing, and winning.

Edited by Badger

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

All part of the modern era unfortunately. Gone are the days of Lawrie taking to the dugout in suit and full length leather coat, or WGS with shirt, tie, and blazer.

Blame Pep again for that 'just come off the allotment' type appearance, and scruffy fuckers in t-shirts. RM has adopted his own scruffy style, looking like he's just parked up his VW Campervan for a summer of surfing in Newquay.

in may ways I wouldn't give a monkeys if he stood on the touchline in his underpants, just get the team playing, and winning.

Lucy?

Is that you?

Henrik Rydstrom is the guy who does the Relationism thingy that Diniz of Fluminese made popular. The purpose is to use strange positioning to confuse pressing structures which can include having a several players within close proximity of the ball carrier and setting up players in a diagonal line towards the edge of the box so that they confuse defenders about whether a pass into midfield or attack is being made. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Henrik Rydstrom is the guy who does the Relationism thingy that Diniz of Fluminese made popular. The purpose is to use strange positioning to confuse pressing structures which can include having a several players within close proximity of the ball carrier and setting up players in a diagonal line towards the edge of the box so that they confuse defenders about whether a pass into midfield or attack is being made. 

interesting thanks, never heard of this tactic, sounds right up my street a bit of chaos theory

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/13097969/henrik-rydstrom-interview-how-malmo-boss-rejected-positional-play-to-become-europes-most-innovative-coach

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

I think our biggest problem will be if we get rid of RM, we'll bring in Gareth Southgate - similar style of football, more defensively sound but also far less attacking threat (which is mad to think considering how we've played this season). 

Edited by Farmer Saint

To be honest I can't see us sacking Martin unless we are well adrift, and even then I wouldn't be overly surprised if this Board are prepared to be relegated with him with an assumption that promotion from the Championship is relatively easy.  But, my guess is that it fundamentally depends on how Solak is viewing things - once again it's his loot on the line.  I wouldn't be averse to Moyes to steady the club, and would bet on him to keep this squad up.  He has always focussed on getting a tune out of what he has at his disposal, a practical adaptive manager, and very able tactically.  Of the other names mentioned, like many others on here I think that Potter is made for us, but doubt he will have any interest in taking on the job, particularly whilst he is on the Chelsea pay off.  Further afield in terms of who is available, Joachim Low (unlikely but previously at Frieberg, a similar sized club to Saints prior to the Germany job), Xavi (Le Tiss number one fan and assuming we want to retain and refine the tippy tappy, I am fucking joking), slightly more realistically in terms of a statement appointment Roger Schmidt (relieved of duties at Benfica two weeks ago), and the Croatian double of Edin Terzic or Niko Kovac (always liked Kovac).

However, in reality, should we part ways with Russ, there is a very good chance we go left-field again, and look to recruit a limited coach from a lower division who might be malleable and mouldable into a world beater.  I don't think that certain members of this Board are comfortable hiring people who clearly know more about the high level game than they do.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

To be honest I can't see us sacking Martin unless we are well adrift, and even then I wouldn't be overly surprised if this Board are prepared to be relegated with him with an assumption that promotion from the Championship is relatively easy.  But, my guess is that it fundamentally depends on how Solak is viewing things - once again it's his loot on the line.  I wouldn't be averse to Moyes to steady the club, and would bet on him to keep this squad up.  He has always focussed on getting a tune out of what he has at his disposal, a practical adaptive manager, and very able tactically.  Of the other names mentioned, like many others on here I think that Potter is made for us, but doubt he will have any interest in taking on the job, particularly whilst he is on the Chelsea pay off.  Further afield in terms of who is available, Joachim Low (unlikely but previously at Frieberg, a similar sized club to Saints prior to the Germany job), Xavi (Le Tiss number one fan and assuming we want to retain and refine the tippy tappy, I am fucking joking), slightly more realistically in terms of a statement appointment Roger Schmidt (relieved of duties at Benfica two weeks ago), and the Croatian double of Edin Terzic or Niko Kovac (always liked Kovac).

However, in reality, should we part ways with Russ, there is a very good chance we go left-field again, and look to recruit a limited coach from a lower division who might be malleable and mouldable into a world beater.  I don't think that certain members of this Board are comfortable hiring people who clearly know more about the high level game than they do.  

If this is indeed correct we'd have a very narrow field of potential new managers to consider.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Get it in the fucking mixer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Yes I can see the Northam taking to that 

On 17/09/2024 at 19:49, Lighthouse said:

Can’t see archer scoring in the PL if he plays like he did against United. Horrendous performance 

• Confused 1

Saw the BBC Gossip Column , and reference to it on the Russell Martin thread, mentioning our interest in John Eustace.

Would hope that it’s bollocks from an unreliable source. Could we really sack an inexperienced manager after a run of poor results and replace him with …. an inexperienced manager who has never managed in the EPL before ?

If that’s the level we’re looking at, might as well stick with RM. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Saw the BBC Gossip Column , and reference to it on the Russell Martin thread, mentioning our interest in John Eustace.

Would hope that it’s bollocks from an unreliable source. Could we really sack an inexperienced manager after a run of poor results and replace him with …. an inexperienced manager who has never managed in the EPL before ?

I like Eustace but that would be a ridiculous decision. Especially with the compo we'd have to pay out for both sides. Martin having just signed a new contract and Eustace being appointed at his club this year.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Rasmus Ankersen certainly would.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveGc said:

Reported we’re monitoring Corberan 

Spanish, with beard, first name Carlos, he’s bound to feature quite high on the hipster spectrum.

No idea if he “wears skinny jeans and vapes like a cunt” though. But I’m sure Rasmus will have that covered in his checklist. 

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Spanish, with beard, first name Carlos, he’s bound to feature quite high on the hipster spectrum.

No idea if he “wears skinny jeans and vapes like a cunt” though. But I’m sure Rasmus will have that covered in his checklist. 

It’s a must.  Only reason he would be on the list for me.

Eustace and Corberan would both, imo, be better appointments than Martin. However, both are championship appointments and not ones we should be looking at if we want to really give ourselves a chance of survival. 

I'd fancy our chances significantly higher next season to bounce back with the either of those in the dug out though.  

• Haha 1

On 18/09/2024 at 06:00, Convict Colony said:

I personally like the thinking but - No - that would not wash with many / most on here. 

A generalised “anti-novelty” approach Is not a saints fan thing at all though. All of us are genetically hardwired to resist change.

It’s a fundamental tenet of Darwinian evolutionary theory.

If it’s perceived as different it’s almost automatically considered dangerous by our brains.

Some unhappy people spend their lives constantly in fight or flight mode with high cortisol levels and lower life expectancy accordingly. But luckily the vast majority of us find a balance. And are able to both objectively and subjectively analyse life. 

We learn as we grow up to “ manage” that automatic response but it never totally leaves us because it ultimately keeps us safe from extinction. And vestiges of it are always present in these threads. 

That which we don’t understand also comes into that category. If you did not get Maths at school - you might now viscerally hate it.  Don’t get Martin Russell’s approach to football - you might viscerally hate it. 

This helps explain a lot of the extreme anger and unsteadiness many fans feel watching Saints play in this style of theirs. It’s understandable. 

What some people realise though is that novelty and innovation are VITAL for survival. Those who adapt quickest survive and thrive best. Those that fail to innovate  eventually become extinct. Butnovelty and innovation are innately risky paths and for every success there are many many more failures. See our start to the season. It’s safer, in the short term, to not be one of those, for sure, most Saints fans very happy with that - but medium - long term we will likely end up a Dodo in the EPL and in any other league. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I personally like the thinking but - No - that would not wash with many / most on here. 

A generalised “anti-novelty” approach Is not a saints fan thing at all though. All of us are genetically hardwired to resist change.

It’s a fundamental tenet of Darwinian evolutionary theory.

If it’s perceived as different it’s almost automatically considered dangerous by our brains.

Some unhappy people spend their lives constantly in fight or flight mode with high cortisol levels and lower life expectancy accordingly. But luckily the vast majority of us find a balance. And are able to both objectively and subjectively analyse life. 

We learn as we grow up to “ manage” that automatic response but it never totally leaves us because it ultimately keeps us safe from extinction. And vestiges of it are always present in these threads. 

That which we don’t understand also comes into that category. If you did not get Maths at school - you might now viscerally hate it.  Don’t get Martin Russell’s approach to football - you might viscerally hate it. 

This helps explain a lot of the extreme anger and unsteadiness many fans feel watching Saints play in this style of theirs. It’s understandable. 

What some people realise though is that novelty and innovation are VITAL for survival. Those who adapt quickest survive and thrive best. Those that fail to innovate  eventually become extinct. Butnovelty and innovation are innately risky paths and for every success there are many many more failures. See our start to the season. It’s safer, in the short term, to not be one of those, for sure, most Saints fans very happy with that - but medium - long term we will likely end up a Dodo in the EPL and in any other league. 

That’s an interesting point of view but it is not why I hate this brand of sleepball. I don’t hate it because it is different but because it is slow, tepid, boring, there are not enough adjectives to describe it.

Football has been around long enough for every system under the sun to have been tried and discarded. Those that are left are the survivors. The reason that millions of supporters pay to watch it is for the passion and the hope of glory. To get the pulse racing it must be played at a high tempo but that alone is not enough. There must be some intent on scoring a goal. Otherwise where are the thrills?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Eustace and Corberan would both, imo, be better appointments than Martin. However, both are championship appointments and not ones we should be looking at if we want to really give ourselves a chance of survival. 

I'd fancy our chances significantly higher next season to bounce back with the either of those in the dug out though.  

Reckon the lad who got Southampton promoted last year is a better bet than two people who don’t have that on their CV imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1