New manager

Kaiser Soze

The problem is the play offs. 

"Ohhh, they generate interest at the end of the season and offer the promoted team a boost in finances." 🙄

All it does is allow a team that didn't really deserve to be promoted, and often finished 10 points behind the top 2, being promoted into a league where they'll never compete. 

The playoffs aren't about football. They're all about money and this is what happens almost every season.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

The problem is the play offs. 

"Ohhh, they generate interest at the end of the season and offer the promoted team a boost in finances." 🙄

All it does is allow a team that didn't really deserve to be promoted, and often finished 10 points behind the top 2, being promoted into a league where they'll never compete. 

The playoffs aren't about football. They're all about money and this is what happens almost every season.

The playoffs are there so that more teams have something to play for towards the end of the season. They also give teams motivation to finish second, rather than third. What that has to do with appointing a new manager I’m not sure.

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You mean apart from Nathan Jones who was about as ugly, route one and ‘old school’ as a manager could be?

Ok old school wasn’t the best term. What I meant is they aren’t interested in an old experienced PL manager.

At least they haven’t before. Maybe they’ve learnt their lesson. 

• Like 1

Martin had the Willy Wonka golden ticket handed to him by Wilcox because he plays tippy tappy football !  I hope he can turn it around but i just think the Prem league is out of his depth . If we lose to Ipswich and dont score t think the fan base will start to turn .

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Potter or Moyes. Either would be better than this muppet. 

Potter wouldn't come here. Not sure Moyes is a wise pick either, his football needs tall, physical footballers to work. We don't have them. 

We're not going to win games in this league with RMs style, unless Stewart turns out to be a star (if\when he plays) we don't have good enough strikers to outscore opponents playing open football in this league.

We need someone who can organise a defence and make us hard to beat. IMO we do have a defensive unit that could be very competitive with the right coaching. Clean sheets + the odd goal from the forwards is how I'd try to survive.

Boring to watch? Yes. Enough to keep us up? Maybe, maybe not but hopefully would keep us in touch.

We are sunk with Russball.

• Like 4

He’s a mid-upper Championship level manager, as proven last season, whose teams concede goals for fun. The PL with Russ was always an utter disaster waiting to happen, and so it’s proving. 

As I stated after Brentford, if we appointed him after RH was sacked there isn’t one person who would have been happy. Not one. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He’s a mid-upper Championship level manager, as proven last season, whose teams concede goals for fun. The PL with Russ was always an utter disaster waiting to happen, and so it’s proving. 

As I stated after Brentford, if we appointed him after RH was sacked there isn’t one person who would have been happy. Not one. 

Don't really think anyone was happy with Jones either. Galling to say, but even Bournemouth can identifiy half decent managers, if they can, why the fuck do we make it so difficult? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Don't really think anyone was happy with Jones either. Galling to say, but even Bournemouth can identifiy half decent managers, if they can, why the fuck do we make it so difficult? 

But i bet you cant tell me what Bournemouths philosophy is can you.

• Haha 1

Doesn't matter who comes in they will still have the shitiest strikers in the premier league that won't score anywhere enough to keep us up and that's the problem.  Not one ten goal striker at the club let alone a 20

I think it's way too soon to be thinking of dropping Martin. Have you already forgotten how amazing the run was last year. His style of play def is high-risk. But it's capable of being both effective and extremely exciting.  We've already seen it working beautifully IN SPELLS in the premier league... first half Newcastle, first 30 mins Sat.

I think he's already tweaked it a bit so that they don't HAVE to play out when it's super-risky. That looked different Saturday.  We didn't lose Sat because of Russ-ball. We lost because a) we're up against a team that's paid 3x as much  b) we were genuinely unlucky...  could easily have gone in 1-0 up at half-time. 

If we're bottom of the league at end of November, I'll be persuaded... But please... let's not jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

I predict we'll win Saturday and the feel here will be v v different.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Kinhell you got the SR hate bad  😂.

Last season the “hipster “ manager got us promoted playing some of, at times, the most beautiful football we’ve seen Saints play in many years.  Some of the goals were a delight.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
😇

We've played much, much better football and scored better goals under both Ralph and Poch within recent memory.

We had lots of possession last season, but our movement off the ball was actually pretty shit, favoring retention over risk. Hence so many dull games where we struggled to create despite hogging the ball.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

We had lots of possession last season, but our movement off the ball was actually pretty shit, favoring retention over risk. Hence so many dull games where we struggled to create despite hogging the ball.

We had the highest non penalty XG in the league last season - we created plenty and despite missing a lot of relatively easy chances still scored the 3rd highest amount of goals so factually chance creation was not an issue across the season.

Also top for number of progressive carries and number of progressive passes across the whole season - both by some distance.

By no means perfect or we would have won the league but would suggest the issues we had were not what you describe!

Source: FBREF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I think it's way too soon to be thinking of dropping Martin. Have you already forgotten how amazing the run was last year

The run littered with drab draws that we didn't gain any points on Leicester and think actually lost points to Leeds,  granted there were a few really good standouts but there was a lot of slow dull crap

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I think it's way too soon to be thinking of dropping Martin. Have you already forgotten how amazing the run was last year. His style of play def is high-risk. But it's capable of being both effective and extremely exciting.  We've already seen it working beautifully IN SPELLS in the premier league... first half Newcastle, first 30 mins Sat.

I think he's already tweaked it a bit so that they don't HAVE to play out when it's super-risky. That looked different Saturday.  We didn't lose Sat because of Russ-ball. We lost because a) we're up against a team that's paid 3x as much  b) we were genuinely unlucky...  could easily have gone in 1-0 up at half-time. 

If we're bottom of the league at end of November, I'll be persuaded... But please... let's not jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

I predict we'll win Saturday and the feel here will be v v different.

Again, that was so last year.

And I would never describe his style of play as ‘extremely exciting’. That’s exactly what it isn’t.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Doesn't matter who comes in they will still have the shitiest strikers in the premier league that won't score anywhere enough to keep us up and that's the problem.  Not one ten goal striker at the club let alone a 20

I think that’s the problem really. We have a very limited strike force and it’s difficult to understand why our recruitment in this area has been so consistently poor over the past few seasons, since Ings left. 

I just can’t see us scoring enough unfortunately and so if we do get rid of RM, I’m not sure there will be top coaches queuing up to take the job knowing what they have to work with.

Unless we're lining up someone like  Henrik Rydstrom or another innovative possession based manager that no-one's heard of then I think we're better off sticking with Martin and either taking the relegation and coming back better for it or results turn around and we manage to get enough to stay up.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Unless we're lining up someone like  Henrik Rydstrom or another innovative possession based manager that no-one's heard of then I think we're better off sticking with Martin and either taking the relegation and coming back better for it or results turn around and we manage to get enough to stay up.

What on earth are you talking about?

most managers’ these days are possession based.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

What are the chances of that?

• Like 2

Difficult decision for the people in charge regarding Martin. Wait to long and we could be to far adrift with a low in confidence squad, but you want to give Martin the time to get the team to gel and fix problems.

My concern is that the defense is the same as last season with Bednarek, THB and Stephens, the defense that conceded over 60 goals in the Championship. 2 CBs have been signed but look nowhere near the first team and we’ve scored just 1 in 4 games. 

I would say give Martin the next 3 games and if we are still on 0 points he has to leave. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Difficult decision for the people in charge regarding Martin. Wait to long and we could be to far adrift with a low in confidence squad, but you want to give Martin the time to get the team to gel and fix problems.

My concern is that the defense is the same as last season with Bednarek, THB and Stephens, the defense that conceded over 60 goals in the Championship. 2 CBs have been signed but look nowhere near the first team and we’ve scored just 1 in 4 games. 

I would say give Martin the next 3 games and if we are still on 0 points he has to leave. 

Why does he have to leave if the players are not good enough the squad is probably worse than the one in 2023

I fully expect the club to be relegated as we have no outstanding players 

• Confused 2

To be honest the club should've been brutal and got rid of him in the close season and got in someone who would've given us a fighting chance. His style of football has absolutely no chance with the squad we have, and all we're really doing is acting as an advert for Martin to take a job somewhere else.

But instead of doing that SR gave him a new contract, and have basically repeated exactly the same mistake they made with Ralph where it was clear we should've got rid of him sooner.

I also think this squad doesn't necessarily have to get relegated, it's got a fighting chance if we change our style based on who we're playing (and get a bit nastier). Even in terms of goals that's arguably of Martin's own making, if you're strikers are pushed out wide you're not going to score goals, and our midfielders don't push on enough to make up for their position. That's tactics and on the manager.

As for citing the "unbeaten run", we did it in the championship against worse teams and were effectively flat track bullies. It also made no measurable impact on our league position.

Anyway this is all moot as i don't see SR getting rid of him until it's far too late (if at all)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, V.Johnathan.Wilson said:

Unless we're lining up someone like  Henrik Rydstrom or another innovative possession based manager that no-one's heard of 

Henrik Rystrom would be a good choice.

I haven’t got a fucking clue who he is, but being a hipster, I’m in. Has he got a normal head? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Henrik Rystrom would be a good choice.

I haven’t got a fucking clue who he is, but being a hipster, I’m in. Has he got a normal head? 

I'd not heard of him until the earlier post, so a quick Google , and see that he's got a shaved head and beard, a 'full Pep' if you like, competing with Enzo in the tribute act stakes. That's all that matters. I can't believe he wouldn't be on Rasmus's list.

• Haha 1

Hey, you Russell out lot, I assume you are in bomb shelters somewhere in case a bomb goes off 300 miles away. Absolutely pathetic. I bet you all were creaming yourselves just 5 months ago. Get a lifr and give time, if it gets bad in a few months then perhaps cry then. No wonder other clubs fans laugh at us, needing a new manager fix every 6 months.

We are with the big boys now, with basically the squad that finished 4th in the league below. Laughable

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I see Charlton's new manager is doing well, could he be someone to look at? 

And Eastleigh.  I hear the manager there's a decent chap, and potentially a back up keeper as well.  What's not to love?

Seriously though, I think we need to stick with Martin, and I'm pretty sure the club will unless he loses the dressing room or it gets toxic in the ground.  Neither of those seems imminent based on Saturday.

• Like 2

There are a number of issues with the club and the standing of the first team - they’re not mutually exclusive…

Over a longer period than Russ has been in place, the recruitment has been extremely second class, not really getting to grips with key areas (except the hiring of Ramsdale) and particularly the strikers. We’ve loaded the squad with Championship level players hoping they’ll come good in the Prem which they don’t.

Possession football is nothing new or particularly rare in the Prem, but it’s use is apparent in degrees - that is, the Man City level teams employ it most of the time because they’ve got the players with the skill to step up a gear in the last phase of attack. As you work down the league the deployment of the system is less apparent, with a more counter-attacking approach being taken because this, coupled with a high press, is the best way to keep shape and stand up against the better teams. Russball does not appear to have enough flexibility to recognise this and especially that our players lack the skill to play such a high level of a possession game in this league (it was only just achieved in the Championship).

The key problem is not Russball, it’s that Russ and his team don’t have the ability to coach a system that matches the skill level of the players at their disposal. They’ve been schooled in ‘Pep-ball’ and while they’ve tried ‘tweaking’ the system recently, all it’s doing is taking fewer risks within the same system. It’s still requiring the team to pass its way through 11 players and it’s not providing the team with the tools to do things differently. There’s only one player that has the ability to break the mould - Dibling…and he’ll be gone the minute a big offer comes in.

It’s very difficult to see where this will lead other than a very humiliating relegation - when’s the earliest nailed on relegation date…Christmas?  Russ is operating a system with the full backing of SR, so can’t see him being given the heave-ho anytime soon.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 4

As I and many others have said,the whole set up from top to bottom is not up to scratch . I can only presume some of the egotists running the club have been given far too much power,for their very ,very limited football knowledge. Not signing a forward giving us a chance of staying up is completely unforgiveable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just got someone to play long ball football up to a tall player and pacy wide men - we have all of those.

It doesn’t have to be launching long balls to a tall CF a la mad Nate. We have players who can get crosses in and play some great through balls for such a player who can also hold the ball up. But that seems against RM’s religion, which is why he won’t give TP a sniff. Just like pointless suicidal pissing around the back is his religion. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 20:13, Kaiser Soze said:

So who do you want to save us?

I’d love Potter but would settle for Moyes. Would steady the ship and probably keep us up.

What’s fat Sam doing these days?

As predictable as night follows day, a few loses then Kasier Soze makes an appearance on the board! jeeez

19 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I think that’s the problem really. We have a very limited strike force and it’s difficult to understand why our recruitment in this area has been so consistently poor over the past few seasons, since Ings left. 

I just can’t see us scoring enough unfortunately and so if we do get rid of RM, I’m not sure there will be top coaches queuing up to take the job knowing what they have to work with.

Agreed why has the striker situation been so awful? They thought an permanently injured Ross Stewart who was pretty much injured when we signed him was the answer! Along with tall pall another awful signing and sullemana 

1 hour ago, Andrew Watson said:

As I and many others have said,the whole set up from top to bottom is not up to scratch . I can only presume some of the egotists running the club have been given far too much power,for their very ,very limited football knowledge. Not signing a forward giving us a chance of staying up is completely unforgiveable.

This is the most damning thing of all as far as I'm concerned. They failed to bring in a striker for Ralph, and still haven't. I'm not convinced by RM and his tactics but poor buggers chances are reduced further with the feeble strikers at his disposal.