Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

8 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It’s what I’d have picked, except Stephens for THB. 

Likewise, but I can see why he’s done it. Our fourth game back up, THB hasn’t been playing well and we’ve gone back to a back four. I think he wanted more known experience in there to start with, THB will get more chances.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Ditches the five at the back..... starts Stephens ahead of THB.

We cannot have nice things can we?

It beggars belief that anyone who's watched is can't understand why he's dropped an out of form CB and kept faith on someone who's played better. It's not complicated. 

The change of system is long overdue, and with big Lesley in there, you'd hope that Stephens won't be asked to pretend he's a midfielder. 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, egg said:

It beggars belief that anyone who's watched is can't understand why he's dropped an out of form CB and kept faith on someone who's played better. It's not complicated. 

The change of system is long overdue, and with big Lesley in there, you'd hope that Stephens won't be asked to pretend he's a midfielder. 

I was being more then a little sarcastic. Although, saying he's played better....... It's not exactly a glowing reference. I would have more confidence in THB.

36 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Love that. 

We need to get Dibling's contract sorted! 

Smallbone goes from starting to completely out of the squad. 

He played two full games for Ireland - maybe that is part of the reasoning? The write up I saw suggested he was Ireland's best player in the second one (but that they were crap)

• Like 1

United starting Eriksen and Fernandes together in midfield with Mainoo means they don't really have a recognised DM. That's a midfield that can be bullied if we get it right. Fuck 'em up Big Les. 

Rashford starting over Garnacho is an interesting one. And no Casemiro. 

United fans not happy at all with their line-up. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jack said:

Ok, meltdown 1 averted. 

Love that 

IMG_1295.png

Got to be happy with that. At least he's having a go. Can just about make a case for Shoehorn starting ahead of THB who has looked a bit shaky lately despite being an infinitely more talented player

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ridiculous amount of players not even making the squad, especially in defensive positions: Lumley, Bree, Edwards, Wood, Larios, Manning, Smallbone, Sam Amo, Kamaldeen, Onuachu

One more player and that side would probably do alright in the championship 

Well BBC Sport has us down as playing 3-5-2 but the lineup suggests otherwise. 

Stephens obviously kept in due to his ability to wind up BF. 

Really excited to see what that midfield can do. 

Dammit I'm actually excited and cautiously optimistic now. Wonder how long it will take for them to rinse that out of me!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Tight hamstring keeping him out apparently, rather than dropped altogether. 

Is "tight hamstring" as believable as the club's "two weeks" mantra though...? ;)

Edited by trousers

Looks a fairly brave and attacking selection. Well done RM for ringing the changes, certainly can’t fault it too much after previous performances.

Possbly over ambitious with too many inexperienced players coming in at once, but on an individual basis most deserve their chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Brave line up so good on Russ. Pleased Dibbing is starting, also see what Lesley and Fernandes are all about. Good time to play United but still got players who can hurt us. 

Maybe now he's starting people will begin spelling his name correctly 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Did I just hear that right from crouchy? Martin said this week that he was given FIVE YEARS to get us back to the premier league?

No. He said he got to the PL from L2 in 5 years by sticking to his principles so not about to change away from it now he is there.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic