Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

It's accurate summary of our games in the premier league so far this season but it's based on watching Saints try and fail to play a 3-5-2.

I am hoping we go with a 4-3-3 set up and play very differently as a result - for one thing playing Cameron Archer as a centre forward will give us a focal point up front.

I hope we go for a starting line up something like this:

Ramsdale

KWP/Sugawara          THB        Bednarek      Taylor

Downes

Aribo                   Fernandes

Armstrong                                   BBD/Fraser

Archer

with Dibling and Big Les making an appearance from the bench.  

I would give Adarma one more chance to make an impact and if he doesn't he needs to be dropped as a starter for Dibling or Cornet. Although I am tempted to start with Dibling and use Adarma as a sub.

Indeed. The whole point of 3-5-2 is to keep it tight and try to nick a goal. If we're going toose anyway then might as well try something more attacking and see if anything changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benjii said:

‐--------   Archer --------

KWP ----- Dibbling------Cornet

------Downes--Fernandes----

Taylor--Janny B--THB--Suga

------Aaron Ramsdale-------

Sub: Macca, ABK, Manning, Les, Lallana, BBD, Fraser, SamAA, Armstrong 

There’s no way we let Alcaraz go because we don’t use a 10 only to change to a formation that needs a 10 a couple of weeks later. 

6 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

There’s no way we let Alcaraz go because we don’t use a 10 only to change to a formation that needs a 10 a couple of weeks later. 

That's not the reason we let Alcaraz go. We let him go because he can't play the passing football in the manner that Martin wants. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's not the reason we let Alcaraz go. We let him go because he can't play the passing football in the manner that Martin wants. 

We let him go because he’s a hotheaded luxury player that doesn’t naturally suit any position in the formations that Martin favours (433 and 352) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

To say he is the "root of our problems" is just ignorance, plain and simple. We have a lot of problems right now, not all of them the fault of Jack Stephens.  

Fine, if you don't rate him, we all have our opinions on players, don't have a problem with that; but hating on him unnecessarily by saying he's the root of all our problems is just scapegoating a player for no reason. Is he the reason why we can't score, or why our strikers are so toothless? Is he the reason Martin plays the way he does? Is he the reason our midfield has been weak as piss? 

Where were you, when he got loaned out, as he was not good enough for us in the PL, short memory syndrome perhaps!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

Where were you, when he got loaned out, as he was not good enough for us in the PL, short memory syndrome perhaps!

Because Lyanco, DCC and ABK were so much better. He was loaned to Boscombe where he played quite a bit and they did not get relegated. Bednarek was also loaned out. They weren't loaned out particularly because they weren't good enough, more that they didn't fit into Ralph's rather misguided plans. 

• Like 4

I'm confident we can get a result from this. Don't show them any respect, they aren't the Manchester United of old. Play our strongest eleven, no excuses for not playing the new signings now after two weeks off and get at them with our passing game at full flow.

• Like 3

Just now, HarvSFC said:

I'm confident we can get a result from this. Don't show them any respect, they aren't the Manchester United of old. Play our strongest eleven, no excuses for not playing the new signings now after two weeks off and get at them with our passing game at full flow.

you have seen how we masterfully pass it around at the back, right....RIGHT?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I’d also question whether there was a temperament issue with him.

Sent off from coming on as a second half substitute on his Flamengo debut, fresh from his red card against Lazio.

• Like 1

Didn't realise it's been 21 years since we beat Man. U. at St Marys  😒 - here's hoping for that drought to end today.   I still remember Charlie Austin's late headed goal for the win at Old Trafford a few years back.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Didn't realise it's been 21 years since we beat Man. U. at St Marys  😒 - here's hoping for that drought to end today.   I still remember Charlie Austin's late headed goal for the win at Old Trafford a few years back.

Yes, I was at that game and joined in the whistling and chanting for the sacking of the Utd Manager, whoever he was at the time

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In error I said earlier that this match is being shown on Sky TV.

It is not. 

It's on Discovery+. You can get a month free subscription, watch it and cancel again to avoid wanky streams.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thripp87 said:

With no sign of him leaving we need to start reintroducing ABK to the first team. If it means captain calamity is further down the pecking order then it’s for the best.

Now I like Jack and I fear fans fail to see his overall contribution. However I agree with this. ABK is a quality player and if he is with us then he needs to played.

Just hope he can stay fit.

• Like 1

Anyone have a prediction for the team we will play? I'd like us to play 4-2-3-1 but I think Martin will go for 5-3-2 again. 

Ramsdale 

Sugawara Bednarek THB Stephens kwp 

Dibling Downes Fernandes 

Archer bbd 

The team I'd like to see: 

Ramsdale 

Sugawara Bednarek THB kwp 

Downes lesley 

Dibling Lallana bbd/Cornet 

Archer 

I think that the formation will be fluid all match. Sometimes it will look like a back three others not. Pointing to what our starting line up is going g to be is a bit like that ( paraphrased) Mike Tyson line- “ everybody has got a plan until you get punched in the face” 

We may start back five but hyper aggressive- we may start with a back four more conservative. Depends on how much running our players do!

I personally think player selection will be the clue as to starting intent. Hope it’s positively aggressive myself. 
NB prior to the Forest match I’d of grabbed a point all day long from this fixture. Losing to forest though has cheesed me off and I would like to see a reaction at home- and to go for the three points not like the stupid U formation thing of last home match. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In error I said earlier that this match is being shown on Sky TV.

It is not. 

It’s on TNT Sports.

I have it in my Virgin Media package but not for long. When I found out that it was costing me £18 a month I decided to drop it. I’m not paying all that just to watch the same old top six moneyball clubs every week.

ONUACHU

CORNET             FERNANDES           DIBLING

UGOCHUKWU      DOWNES

KWP        BEDNAREK       ABK        SUGAWARA

RAMSDALE

Time to unleash the big man! They won't know what's hit them....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, pingpong said:

Not really. Our strikers aren't forced out wide, that is a tactical decision. 

The irritating thing is that we chose that for the opposition we were playing against, not for every game, but what will happen is we will play them central, score a couple of goals, and the numbnuts on here will think they were right all along and that they know better than our professional coaching staff.

That wasn't a problem exclusive to the Brentford game. We've started every game with BBD wide left and Armstrong wide right without a focal point. I'm hopeful we'll start with Archer in the middle today.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That wasn't a problem exclusive to the Brentford game. We've started every game with BBD wide left and Armstrong wide right without a focal point. I'm hopeful we'll start with Archer in the middle today.

Yeah agree with this. Hopefully Archer starts today and is the focal point.

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Decent line up that.

I'd prefer THB to JS, but that's all.

Yep, well done RM.   You've picked a better side.  I  too would prefer THB to JS and would have liked Cornet in preference to BBD. I like the idea of Lallana coming on in the second half rather than starting.

5 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Well I'm hopeful that we'll see something a bit more exciting from that line-up. RM with a desperate throw of the dice?

4 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Smells like a "pull your finger out or you're fired" line up.

One thing's for certain, it's not going to be 0-0.

This is so Saints Web!! Give home grief all to pick a team like this and the when he does have another pop

10 minutes ago, Jack said:

Ok, meltdown 1 averted. 

Love that 

IMG_1295.png

Love it. Love. It. 

Probably still lose but that's positive. I even agree with the decision of Stephens over THB seeing as THB hasn't started the season brilliantly and has also just played for the U21s. That's got to be close to our best team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Left Back said:

This is so Saints Web!! Give home grief all to pick a team like this and the when he does have another pop

Not having a pop, I think it's probably the best line up we could field (Maybe THB for Stephens).

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic