Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

That is very accurate on how the game will pan-out

40 minutes of "if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine"

Concede on half time. Drab second half. Chaotic substitions. Dibling sparkles for 10 minutes.

Lose 0-3.

62% possession, so really a win if you think about it.

An evening of "how dare anyone we think we should sack the manager just because we lost to the richest biggest club in the world, you bedwetters are a disgrace" on this forum.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Not a lot of that first paragraph is true?

We are quite obviously suited to the style because we’ve been doing it for a year with success. What he means is ‘at this level’ which is still up for debate obviously.

Also no attacking threat whatsoever/why they have only scored one goal is funny for a team who has had more shots than United and has missed 3? chances from 6 yards out. Reckon that’s a bigger reason for only scoring 1 goal than nothing passes at the back.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 5

It would come as no surprise to me if KWP is one of the players dropped for this game. I have a feeling RM night go for Charlie Taylor at left back. He'll also likely drop Smallbone and probably the front two.

RM will have watched tapes of Liverpool operating a 4-2-3-1 system as they comprehensively took Man Utd apart. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the top dozen teams apart from Arsenal utilise this system as did England under Carsley, he will stick to his 5-1-2-2. He'll play two wing backs who don't actually play as wing backs because they will get sucked into the pointless tippy-tappy keep ball and, if they do venture forward, they'll have little or no support. 

Something needs to change to get the best out of what is a reasonable squad of players. Maybe Russ will surprise me tomorrow though I wouldn't bet on it.

Although that fan analysis was reasonable I have hopes that with Fernandes and Lesley in midfield we'll have more drive there, along with maybe Dibling coming on earlier. Will Cornet and/or Fraser play as they too will add a bit of experience and directness?

Something has got to change, obviously, the main thing perhaps is not giving the ball away in stupid positions although shooting and finishing from a few yards out would also help..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Most consistently poor.

Stephens is the root of our problems.

Oh come on that is straightforward bigotry towards a player.

At the moment Saints are better with him on the pitch. That doesn't say a great deal about the other defenders but that's where we are at the moment.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, saintant said:

It would come as no surprise to me if KWP is one of the players dropped for this game. I have a feeling RM night go for Charlie Taylor at left back. He'll also likely drop Smallbone and probably the front two.

RM will have watched tapes of Liverpool operating a 4-2-3-1 system as they comprehensively took Man Utd apart. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the top dozen teams apart from Arsenal utilise this system as did England under Carsley, he will stick to his 5-1-2-2. He'll play two wing backs who don't actually play as wing backs because they will get sucked into the pointless tippy-tappy keep ball and, if they do venture forward, they'll have little or no support. 

Something needs to change to get the best out of what is a reasonable squad of players. Maybe Russ will surprise me tomorrow though I wouldn't bet on it.

‘Something needs to change, not the changes that I have weirdly hypothesised the manager will make, but something. Not the changes this manager makes if we lose, but something. Maybe the manager will surprise me and his changes will lead to a win which is what I’ve been calling for all this time’

Edited by Fabrice29

53 minutes ago, saintant said:

I get the argument for playing a natural LB like Taylor, but never, ever at the expense of KWP being in the starting lineup.    It's a curious situation where we have two high quality RBs - reminiscent of Tino and KWP two seasons back.   KWP is still a better RB than Sugawara who has been very impressive.    If one has to go, it has to be Sugawara, or we continue with playing KWP out of position at left back, particularly if a Fraser or Cornet is ahead of him.

Smallbone has to drop out of the side - if RM doesn't employ Downes, Fernandes and Les Ugo as his midfield he's not learning quickly enough in my book.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

40 minutes of "if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine"

Concede on half time. Drab second half. Chaotic substitions. Dibling sparkles for 10 minutes.

Lose 0-3.

62% possession, so really a win if you think about it.

An evening of "how dare anyone we think we should sack the manager just because we lost to the richest biggest club in the world, you bedwetters are a disgrace" on this forum.

Bookmark this post for full time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack said:

IMG_1285.thumb.png.01cc302cf6e803cdf9cd3fd4deb713bd.png

Well this United fan appears to have been paying attention. 

It's accurate summary of our games in the premier league so far this season but it's based on watching Saints try and fail to play a 3-5-2.

I am hoping we go with a 4-3-3 set up and play very differently as a result - for one thing playing Cameron Archer as a centre forward will give us a focal point up front.

I hope we go for a starting line up something like this:

Ramsdale

KWP/Sugawara          THB        Bednarek      Taylor

Downes

Aribo                   Fernandes

Armstrong                                   BBD/Fraser

Archer

with Dibling and Big Les making an appearance from the bench.  

I would give Adarma one more chance to make an impact and if he doesn't he needs to be dropped as a starter for Dibling or Cornet. Although I am tempted to start with Dibling and use Adarma as a sub.

United are unmotived and a poor side. However, they'll stick 3 or 4 past us with relative ease if they fancy putting some effort in and pressing us. 

I don't see any situation where we win this one. I reckon a comfortable 0-2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

I also think a double pivot could work for us, especially if we go 4 at the back but City play a 4-3-3 with one pivot, as did England on Tuesday - I'm sure many others play a single pivot or switch between a single and a double depending on game condition.

I'd go 4-3-3:

Archer

Cornet                              Dibling

Fernandes

Downes               Lesley           

KWP        Bednarek         THB     Sugawara

Ramsdale

Subs: Macca, Stephens, ABK, Lallana, Aribo, Fraser, SAA, Stewart, BBD.

No room for Armstrong, Smallbone or Taylor - sorry lads. 

We won't though.  

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not a lot of that first paragraph is true?

We are quite obviously suited to the style because we’ve been doing it for a year with success. What he means is ‘at this level’ which is still up for debate obviously.

Also no attacking threat whatsoever/why they have only scored one goal is funny for a team who has had more shots than United and has missed 3? chances from 6 yards out. Reckon that’s a bigger reason for only scoring 1 goal than nothing passes at the back.

Sadly the United fan is pretty much spot on.  
How are you defining ‘success’?

If we had won the championship you’d be entitled to this opinion. 
However the fact is we stumbled up, despite the crazy tactics, because we went a lot more direct for the playoffs. So the jury is very much still out on Martin’s style. 

But anyway, I’m sure it will work this time 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

And people say that there isn't a narrative against Stephens? What bollocks. 

It’s not a narrative and I’m not even sure if you know what that means.

He doesn’t have the discipline and concentration needed for this level. I have reached this conclusion after having suffered watching him for several seasons now. My opinion is based on what I see and not what I feel. If he plays tomorrow then we are in trouble.

14 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

However the fact is we stumbled up, despite the crazy tactics, because we went a lot more direct for the playoffs. So the jury is very much still out on Martin’s style. 

Achieving the overall goal of the season felt like success. As did the record breaking unbeaten run. The lots of goals we scored and enjoyment of the football we were served up.   But yea, crazy tactics, jury still out, didn’t win the league, we changed everything for the two games we won at the end and ignore all the ones we won before that narrative is strong. 

Edited by Fabrice29

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Achieving the overall goal of the season felt like success. As did the record breaking unbeaten run. The lots of goals we scored and enjoyment of the football we were served up.   But yea, crazy tactics, jury still out, didn’t win the league narrative is strong. 

I never got excited over the unbeaten run. Probably because it was nothing special in the wider football world. Do you think any other supporter gives a toss?

As for enjoyment of the football I can only conclude that you have been starved of real all-out attacking, pulsating football for most of your life.

• Like 3

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

I never got excited over the unbeaten run. Probably because it was nothing special in the wider football world. Do you think any other supporter gives a toss?

As for enjoyment of the football I can only conclude that you have been starved of real all-out attacking, pulsating football for most of your life.

Nope and correct. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s not a narrative and I’m not even sure if you know what that means.

He doesn’t have the discipline and concentration needed for this level. I have reached this conclusion after having suffered watching him for several seasons now. My opinion is based on what I see and not what I feel. If he plays tomorrow then we are in trouble.

To say he is the "root of our problems" is just ignorance, plain and simple. We have a lot of problems right now, not all of them the fault of Jack Stephens.  

Fine, if you don't rate him, we all have our opinions on players, don't have a problem with that; but hating on him unnecessarily by saying he's the root of all our problems is just scapegoating a player for no reason. Is he the reason why we can't score, or why our strikers are so toothless? Is he the reason Martin plays the way he does? Is he the reason our midfield has been weak as piss? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I'd go 4-3-3:

Archer

Cornet                              Dibling

Fernandes

Downes               Lesley           

KWP        Bednarek         THB     Sugawara

Ramsdale

Subs: Macca, Stephens, ABK, Lallana, Aribo, Fraser, SAA, Stewart, BBD.

No room for Armstrong, Smallbone or Taylor - sorry lads. 

We won't though.  

200.gif?cid=e180674a3du2k21k1p31hvybim1c

100% this but I'd allow Fraser to start over Dibbling if needed to help out KWP.

We will be lucky if we get 1 change though.

Still I am an optimist dick so 2-0 saints

Edited by Convict Colony

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

200.gif?cid=e180674a3du2k21k1p31hvybim1c

100% this but I'd allow Fraser to start over Dibbling if needed to help out KWP.

We will be lucky if we get 1 change though.

Still I am an optimist dick so 2-0 saints

Fair enough. If you're dropping Dibling to start Fraser on the left though, who have you got starting on the right? 

30 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

To say he is the "root of our problems" is just ignorance, plain and simple. We have a lot of problems right now, not all of them the fault of Jack Stephens.  

Fine, if you don't rate him, we all have our opinions on players, don't have a problem with that; but hating on him unnecessarily by saying he's the root of all our problems is just scapegoating a player for no reason. Is he the reason why we can't score, or why our strikers are so toothless? Is he the reason Martin plays the way he does? Is he the reason our midfield has been weak as piss? 

Are you seriously calling me ignorant?

A scapegoat is someone or something that is innocent yet gets all the blame. Stephens does not fit this description.

Without a stable and solid defence we will struggle to create enough chances to have even a chance of surviving in this league. His presence does not give us a solid back line especially when combined with this ridiculous obsession with fannying around at the back.

I don’t think anyone knows the reason that Martin plays the way that we do. It defies all footballing logic. Yet Martin persists in selecting Stephens and must bear the responsibility for that.

We have a weak midfield because we effectively don’t play with one. When a key player there is Smallbone then we’re in deeper trouble. He’s another who’s not good enough for this level.

I don’t hate these players but I hate what they’re doing to our team. It’s not their fault that they’re not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Are you seriously calling me ignorant?

A scapegoat is someone or something that is innocent yet gets all the blame. Stephens does not fit this description.

Without a stable and solid defence we will struggle to create enough chances to have even a chance of surviving in this league. His presence does not give us a solid back line especially when combined with this ridiculous obsession with fannying around at the back.

I don’t think anyone knows the reason that Martin plays the way that we do. It defies all footballing logic. Yet Martin persists in selecting Stephens and must bear the responsibility for that.

We have a weak midfield because we effectively don’t play with one. When a key player there is Smallbone then we’re in deeper trouble. He’s another who’s not good enough for this level.

I don’t hate these players but I hate what they’re doing to our team. It’s not their fault that they’re not good enough.

"stephens is the root of all our problems" 

Your words, not mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Yeah, think your understanding on the difference between fact and opinion needs a bit of work. 

Not since the days of Paul Telfer has so much ire been directed to a player without justification.  Granted he's no Busquets, but there are fans who'd blame him for a loss even if he was in Tescos at the time.

My view is that it's a team and you can have a good player made to look **** because of the sum of the parts around him, the position they're asked to play, the tactics and even the opponent.

Personally I quite like him.

Edited by Alain Perrin
Grandma
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Fair enough. If you're dropping Dibling to start Fraser on the left though, who have you got starting on the right? 

Cornet, he's played there before a fair bit and is right footed.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Cool. Think he's said he tends to prefer the left as he can cut inside and shoot, but if he's flexible enough to play either side then that's great as we look a little bit light on the right otherwise. I'm looking forward to seeing him. 

Edit: Re Cornet

Edited by Midfield_General

2 hours ago, Alain Perrin said:

Not since the days of Paul Telfer has so much ire been directed to a player without justification.  Granted he's no Busquets, but there are fans who'd blame him for a loss even if he was in Tescos at the time.

My view is that it's a team and you can have a good player made to look **** because of the sum of the parts around him, the position they're asked to play, the tactics and even the opponent.

Personally I quite like him.

You better not go in the Lounge 😂 

(Small things that annoy me)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, austsaint said:

I get the argument for playing a natural LB like Taylor, but never, ever at the expense of KWP being in the starting lineup.    It's a curious situation where we have two high quality RBs - reminiscent of Tino and KWP two seasons back.   KWP is still a better RB than Sugawara who has been very impressive.    If one has to go, it has to be Sugawara, or we continue with playing KWP out of position at left back, particularly if a Fraser or Cornet is ahead of him.

Smallbone has to drop out of the side - if RM doesn't employ Downes, Fernandes and Les Ugo as his midfield he's not learning quickly enough in my book.

i disagree about kwp over sugawara,hes seeing his contract out for a big payout in the summer hes not gonna want to get injured,his levels this season not the same as last.Hes really average as a defender and is not what we need in a tough season,should have been offloaded for whatever we could get.

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

He seems more clued in than most on here :D 

Not really. Our strikers aren't forced out wide, that is a tactical decision. 

The irritating thing is that we chose that for the opposition we were playing against, not for every game, but what will happen is we will play them central, score a couple of goals, and the numbnuts on here will think they were right all along and that they know better than our professional coaching staff.

‐--------   Archer --------

KWP ----- Dibbling------Cornet

------Downes--Fernandes----

Taylor--Janny B--THB--Suga

------Aaron Ramsdale-------

Sub: Macca, ABK, Manning, Les, Lallana, BBD, Fraser, SamAA, Armstrong 

Even thought united are pretty shite of late I still think they’ll do us about 1-3.

If Russ starts Waif Smallbones in the middle rather than Fernandes he can get fucked.

Edited by bpsaint

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

It's accurate summary of our games in the premier league so far this season but it's based on watching Saints try and fail to play a 3-5-2.

I am hoping we go with a 4-3-3 set up and play very differently as a result - for one thing playing Cameron Archer as a centre forward will give us a focal point up front.

I hope we go for a starting line up something like this:

Ramsdale

KWP/Sugawara          THB        Bednarek      Taylor

Downes

Aribo                   Fernandes

Armstrong                                   BBD/Fraser

Archer

with Dibling and Big Les making an appearance from the bench.  

I would give Adarma one more chance to make an impact and if he doesn't he needs to be dropped as a starter for Dibling or Cornet. Although I am tempted to start with Dibling and use Adarma as a sub.

Does anyone know the logic of why AA looks so bad at premier league level but decent at championship? Is it Just a case that the players in the championship are a lot slower in general and slower to react and he has more time on the ball?

He seems confident at that level but like a rabbit in the headlights against better opposition 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Does anyone know the logic of why AA looks so bad at premier league level but decent at championship? Is it Just a case that the players in the championship are a lot slower in general and slower to react and he has more time on the ball?

He seems confident at that level but like a rabbit in the headlights against better opposition 

At this level he generally has to go past someone or make space before he can get his shot away, and he just doesn't have the talent to do that. He's the same player, it's just that defenders are quicker and defenses more disciplined in the PL. He runs into a brick wall every time he has the ball.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic