Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I've seen us play a lot worse than that. The team selection was positively greeted by most on this site and with good reason. We started off well and for over 1/3rd of the game we were competitive. Suguwara and Dibling have a good rapport, Downes is tenacious, Ramsdale was allowed to do what he wanted to do with the ball and KWP was ok.

Yes we've lost four games in a row but I'm still pretty upbeat. The lack of a striker is our biggest concern but let's the comments in a month's time.

I agree we started off well, no complaints first 30 mins , but surely even the most optimistic saints fan can see we won't score anywhere near enough goals to have a chance of survival. It's a miserable season making up the numbers , the new Northam wall hasn't got going either, subdued today 

Edited by Football Special
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Football Special said:

I agree we started off well, no complaints first 30 mins , but surely even the most optimistic saints fan can see we won't score anywhere near enough goals to have a chance of survival. It's a miserable season making up the numbers , the new Northam wall hasn't got going either, subdued today 

I said to my grandson just before halftime that I could hear the Man Utd players shouting to each other. I couldn’t hear any of our players and the crowd were just about asleep.

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes that's really quiet. Maybe the singers are too spread out, but there hasn't been a lot to sing about so far.

The atmosphere in the Northam was only ever generated by the proximity of the away fans. Without them, it’s just the old Chapel with everyone standing up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It might seem bad but... only 2 points from 15th place with 34 games to play!

Life Of Brian GIF by Monty Python

Lose to Ipswich at home next week and it is time to worry. 

We'll beat Ipswich. I put all the money in my daughter's piggy bank on it. Play today's team, with THB in for Stephens, and we will win. I have faith.

200.gif?cid=e180674a3u8rr2yli2nxxmp0tag5

• Like 3

Positives:

First 30 minutes we more than matched them.

Dibling.

Not much tippy tappy at the back.

Jack Shoehorn will be out for 3 matches I think.

Negatives: Everything else. We went to pieces after that poor penalty miss.

We desperately need a CF who can score, he would lift the whole team, whose confidence will ebb away after every defeat. How long will Stewart be fit, and if so can he do it at this level? BBD is hopeless on the wing, if you must play him have him more central. And Tall Paul is with us, give him a go FFS Russ.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The atmosphere in the Northam was only ever generated by the proximity of the away fans. Without them, it’s just the old Chapel with everyone standing up.

Not really, as someone who goes in both ends the type of fan in each is quite different.  But I agree without the away fans nearby it's taken the edge off it where songs would go back and forth. 

Miss the Itchen North , club had been looking to cleanse that area for years to make it more suitable for corporate champagne bars and safe standing plus moving away fans was a masterstroke by the club, made it look like the fans decision to move from there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Positives:

First 30 minutes we more than matched them.

Dibling.

Not much tippy tappy at the back.

Jack Shoehorn will be out for 3 matches I think.

Negatives: Everything else. We went to pieces after that poor penalty miss.

We desperately need a CF who can score, he would lift the whole team, whose confidence will ebb away after every defeat. How long will Stewart be fit, and if so can he do it at this level? BBD is hopeless on the wing, if you must play him have him more central. And Tall Paul is with us, give him a go FFS Russ.

There's not much wrong with this, although I might delay Tall Paul for a game or two yet, and I thought Fernandes and Big Les showed good potential starting their first PL games for us.

35 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Everton might not be great but at least they are creating and scoring goals. We on the other hand……….

I actually think Everton looked good, very comical managing to lose again from a 2 goal lead but they are scoring /creating and certainly look much more capable than we do in my opinion. 

Tuesdays carabao will be interesting, I think Everton will edge it due to home advantage and Dyche will take the Cup more seriously than Russ. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Football Special said:

Tuesdays carabao will be interesting, I think Everton will edge it due to home advantage and Dyche will take the Cup more seriously than Russ. 

Adam Blackmore's interview with Russ suggested a few changes, but that he will be taking it seriously. We can't afford to get humped, and then try to win a six pointer against Ipswich with no momentum whatsoever

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yes we've lost four games in a row but I'm still pretty upbeat. The lack of a striker is our biggest concern but let's the comments in a month's time.

Do you see the striker situation changing in the next month, and how ? Ross Stewart or Tall Paul as our saviours?

3 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

For me there are two options. Either back him further, but get a PL coaching set up around him to deal with the training and tactics in each part of the pitch eg Pulis 2 days a week to work with Ramsdale to drill the defence and midfield in the PL basics of marking/shape and in stopping crosses (an ongoing problem since Ronald that started under Puel and got worse). The first two goals today I’d be disappointed if Cheltenham Town in the fourth tier conceded without effort. 

Didn’t we try changing the coaching around the manager with Ralph ? Didn’t work well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Football Special said:

But I agree without the away fans nearby it's taken the edge off it where songs would go back and forth

And I quite liked the Northam and Itchen singing across the away fans. 

And Badger, I appreciate the striker situation isn't going to change, it was a comment that we haven't got one. If Tall Paul is the answer, we will fail. Ross Stewart didn't do a lot today but he's rusty and by the time he came on, we had gone in to negative mode, so he's worth trying again. The team needs a target man to hold up/lay off to midfielders coming forward and to be a focus for crosses. It could be Ross. I'm hoping Archer, albeit a lightweight, will get over today and do a job because AA certainly won't in the centre of the pitch.

Trying to scratch some positives from today. 2 fragile teams, we crashed after the penalty miss, score that and we’re a very different team till at least half time. 

Big Les looks decent, think he’ll improve a bundle this season. I was surprised Tyler started but he’s clearly going to be a top player. I thought Jan was solid at the back, as were Suga and KWP. Sadly, the biggest positive from the last 60 minutes was Stephens misses the next 3 games  

Up the fucking Saints!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Badger said:

Do you see the striker situation changing in the next month, and how ? Ross Stewart or Tall Paul as our saviours?

Tyler Dibling would be a brilliant striker, but he'll be stuck out on the wing until he moves to a big club at the end of the season.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

There's not much wrong with this, although I might delay Tall Paul for a game or two yet, and I thought Fernandes and Big Les showed good potential starting their first PL games for us.

Onuachu isn’t getting called up, under any circumstances. He’s as far away from being a Martin player as it’s possible to be. Unless we have a major, major injury crisis he’s not even making the bench. 

Edited by Midfield_General

Have I missed much - had to sort out stuff with my 87 year old Dad to about half time - then 3 year old grandson took over on my time - just seen bits on here that hint at could do much better.

Seeing what we signed this summer, there was no danger of me holding my breath.

My decision to walk away after 45 years gets easier by the week - yes Wembley was fun last season but we were never convincing the rest of last season. 

I tip my cap to those of you who go this season.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Have I missed much - had to sort out stuff with my 87 year old Dad to about half time - then 3 year old grandson took over on my time - just seen bits on here that hint at could do much better.

Seeing what we signed this summer, there was no danger of me holding my breath.

My decision to walk away after 45 years gets easier by the week - yes Wembley was fun last season but we were never convincing the rest of last season. 

I tip my cap to those of you who go this season.

Yep you were right. A positive first half hour followed by capitulation and ineptitude. Pretty shoddy. Martin is not a PL manager. Yes he is a great bloke etc etc but tactically clueless. The penalty fiasco also points to an amateur and confused strategy. United are not the United of old. A half decent team would have beaten them. No point in delaying the inevitable. Get rid of the manager. Potter is available. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Yep you were right. A positive first half hour followed by capitulation and ineptitude. Pretty shoddy. Martin is not a PL manager. Yes he is a great bloke etc etc but tactically clueless. The penalty fiasco also points to an amateur and confused strategy. United are not the United of old. A half decent team would have beaten them. No point in delaying the inevitable. Get rid of the manager. Potter is available. 

Potter ? He’ll stay ‘available’ as far as we’re concerned.

A bloke who probably expects to be considered for Man Utd if/when it comes available, and England should the FA snap out of the notion of Carsley.., 

I feel quite pessimistic really and we are only 4 games into the season. 

We don’t look organised at the back but up front we are incredibly limited and today we fielded the Sheff United strike force from last season. 

Our recruitment in the final third has been abysmal now for two or three years and we cannot improve things until January. I think it will be all over bar the shouting then anyway so I don’t think any further material investment will be made.

I can’t see changing the manager will make much difference. Maybe a decent coach can get us organised at the back but trying to get a tune out of AA, Archer and BBD in the Premier League is not happening. We simply cannot score enough goals to stay up.

They says it’s the hope that kills you but I don’t feel any hope at present. Cant remember another season like it really but we look really out of our depth and during the second half today it looked like the team thought much the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Tall paul looked a shocking carthorse when he did actually come on for us not quite ali dia levels but bad, think they saw us coming on that transfer, so many bad signings saints have gambled on 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Tall paul looked a shocking carthorse when he did actually come on for us not quite ali dia levels but bad, think they saw us coming on that transfer, so many bad signings saints have gambled on 

Every Club makes bad signings, ask ManUtd and Chelsea, its just that they can afford mistakes and we can't. Anyway, there were good buys on show today---Ramsdale, the Sugar fellow, Fernandes and Lesley Ogu, they all promise to be the base of a good side, no need to dwell on the panic mistakes a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dellyears said:

Every Club makes bad signings, ask ManUtd and Chelsea, its just that they can afford mistakes and we can't. Anyway, there were good buys on show today---Ramsdale, the Sugar fellow, Fernandes and Lesley Ogu, they all promise to be the base of a good side, no need to dwell on the panic mistakes a couple of years ago. 

Even their mistakes would walk into our starting 11.

On 13/09/2024 at 18:21, Saint_clark said:

He'll probably be proud that his defence are passing it well.

In fairness I thought that the team got it forward a lot more in the first half which I was able to watch and looked more dangerous as a result. There is though still a sense that the defence do not know how 'to park the bus' if we ever need to.

Lets be honest if we lose next week we are already nailed on for last place,what a sad indictment. We are a very poor side and the rubbish players we have wasted money on in the last few years is haunting us big time,as I have said before we are light years behind Brighton and the tinpot club down the M27.The fact we are likely to get a hammering 2 weeks on monday,is some thing too painful to think about,but a definite possibly the way they are playing. [ Very unlucky to lose tonight ]

9 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Everton, Ipswich and Bournemouth next on the league. We've got to be looking at minimum 6 points from that lot.

First we must learn to score tho.

You would hope so but I have just watched Bournemouth play Chelsea and they were unlucky not to come away with a point. Everton will be smarting from losing a 2 nil lead to come away with a 3-2 lose in their last 2 matches so may have a point to prove. On present form I think 4 points may be nearer the mark. 

8 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

I mean... All other failings aside, this is just unforgivable. What this says is: the preparation and analysis just isn't there. The manager and his staff are quite simply not doing their homework.

To be honest, Captain Shoehorn reflects the manager well with his amateur hour sending off. Just bloody do a Chiellini, it's cynical but professional and you don't get sent off.

All the doomsayers here need to watch that first 30 minutes. We do have a good enough squad to at least compete. But the organisation is still not good enough, every defensive transition we get cut open in 2 or 3 passes, same as the last 3 games which says the work isn't being done. I honestly find it hard to believe RM was a defender as he loves Stephens who if you watch him over a game, seems to actually disorganise whoever he's near. There was one defensive transition in the highlights which saw poor Sugawara running between I think Zirkzee and Rashford, Stephens offering no communication. The defender further back can see the situation better than the one running back, it is his responsibility to give a shout who he's moving to. But nothing.

I was in the camp that RM should get more time to adjust, but I'm just not seeing it. I don't think the formation change particularly improved things, it's actually that we got our best players onto the pitch and we could see their level. The organisation and preparation required isn't there. He seems to make his favoured players feel great, which is good, but it isn't enough at this level.

• Like 5

RM has his failings as a coach but I can’t imagine he asked the recruitment team to assemble the Sheffield United strike force for him this season to spearhead our campaign. Seems another really odd recruitment decision to add to the lengthening list

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Bar the missed penalty by Cameron Archer, which Jeffrey would have taken with more conviction, CB Fry got it spot on didn’t he?

I was a bit off on the possession prediction.

Other than that I did get a slight chill when the third goal went in.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

It might seem bad but... only 2 points from 15th place with 34 games to play!

Life Of Brian GIF by Monty Python

Lose to Ipswich at home next week and it is time to worry. 

And lose we will I am afraid to say. With RM in charge we will finish the season on record low points and with one of the worst GS ever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I feel quite pessimistic really and we are only 4 games into the season. 

We don’t look organised at the back but up front we are incredibly limited and today we fielded the Sheff United strike force from last season. 

Our recruitment in the final third has been abysmal now for two or three years and we cannot improve things until January. I think it will be all over bar the shouting then anyway so I don’t think any further material investment will be made.

I can’t see changing the manager will make much difference. Maybe a decent coach can get us organised at the back but trying to get a tune out of AA, Archer and BBD in the Premier League is not happening. We simply cannot score enough goals to stay up.

They says it’s the hope that kills you but I don’t feel any hope at present. Cant remember another season like it really but we look really out of our depth and during the second half today it looked like the team thought much the same.

Isn't it a tad early to hoist up the white flag? Let's at least wait until we have a full view of the enemy.

A win and a draw next week and we'll be half way up the league. 

Special note for Botley Saint : We are NOT bottom of the table and we play Everton in the Carabao Cup NOT the PL

Edited by Charlie Wayman

31 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Isn't it a tad early to hoist up the white flag? Let's at least wait until we have a full view of the enemy.

A win and a draw next week and we'll be half way up the league. 

Everton is in the League Cup. Beat Ipswich next Saturday and that's a start but it's two high probability relegation candidates playing each other. Our big games are against teams like Notts Forest, Brentford ....oh, oh...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SWLondon Saint said:

I mean... All other failings aside, this is just unforgivable. What this says is: the preparation and analysis just isn't there. The manager and his staff are quite simply not doing their homework.

To be honest, Captain Shoehorn reflects the manager well with his amateur hour sending off. Just bloody do a Chiellini, it's cynical but professional and you don't get sent off.

All the doomsayers here need to watch that first 30 minutes. We do have a good enough squad to at least compete. But the organisation is still not good enough, every defensive transition we get cut open in 2 or 3 passes, same as the last 3 games which says the work isn't being done. I honestly find it hard to believe RM was a defender as he loves Stephens who if you watch him over a game, seems to actually disorganise whoever he's near. There was one defensive transition in the highlights which saw poor Sugawara running between I think Zirkzee and Rashford, Stephens offering no communication. The defender further back can see the situation better than the one running back, it is his responsibility to give a shout who he's moving to. But nothing.

I was in the camp that RM should get more time to adjust, but I'm just not seeing it. I don't think the formation change particularly improved things, it's actually that we got our best players onto the pitch and we could see their level. The organisation and preparation required isn't there. He seems to make his favoured players feel great, which is good, but it isn't enough at this level.

For the doomsayers can you explain how this team will score enough goals to stand a chance? Even with a change of manager the players aren't good enough. 

I'd love to believe we can do it but honestly cannot see it, going to be a painful season unfortunately 

8 minutes ago, Football Special said:

For the doomsayers can you explain how this team will score enough goals to stand a chance? Even with a change of manager the players aren't good enough. 

I'd love to believe we can do it but honestly cannot see it, going to be a painful season unfortunately 

We are not even laying a glove on anyone. I suspect the board did not sanction over £100m on 14-odd new players to just go down by xmas

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The only positive for me was that Stephens will not be available for selection for three matches. Hopefully THB or Edwards can grab and keep the place.

Whilst I fully agree with the first half of your point regarding Captain Calamity the second half is not the answer. Ronnie Edwards looked like way off the pace against Cardiff, as has THB thus far. Our best option is now ABK who simply has to be reintegrated into the team for the Ipswich match. Lose that and we won’t make the Derby points total. 

• Haha 1