Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

Cornet and Ross looked like competition winners, so did BBD in the most part

Archer- missing a penalty as a striker is a joke

Lallana looked like he just wanted to get a highlight reel of kicking United to score brownie points with Liverpool 

Couldn't really see the goals so can't pass judgement on the defending but second half they were all scared of their own shadow

Fernandes mustard, Lesley good but faded

Didn't lay a glove on them after 2-0 because Russ has one speed and doesn't know how to change gear

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 1

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

It's not #Martino, it's the players aren't good enough unfortunately. Gulf between PL and Championship is too big now unless you have some half decent players to start with. 

Downes hasn't looked like a PL player, yet he was miles too good for the Championship. I think in Baseball they call it a "quad-A" player. 

I don't buy that. We've seen far less talented squads do so much better than this. Yes the players aren't top EPL quality but that's why it's ludicrous for Rusty to have them play the way they do. 

• Like 5

Serious question does anyone think Martin is capable of turning this team around? 

And don't give me a noone could, we have the Spine of a decent team with a decent striker and defender and a change of style and tactics 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Can imagine what the post match interview will be like. Will be no mention of the inept performance, Martin will just focus on how unlucky Stephens was to be sent off.

Today’s “narrative”

• Like 1

Think it boils down to one thing - do SR want (need) the club to stay in the Prem? If they do, then RM will be gone well before Xmas because the evidence screams that there’s very little chance his system or indeed his ability to coach the team to success, is going to win or draw us a game of football.

• Like 1

We were really good for 35 mins, then miss the penalty and they score 2 completely against run of play at end of half (they’d not had a shot!) mental how a game can flip in a minute. TNT highlighted how poor Stephens was today, Stephens playing them onside for one and not marking De Ligt for the other. He then gets sent off for a stupid challenge which definitely killed us.
I thought we were a lot better than the scoreline and if we’d scored the penalty and gone in 1-0 up at HT, who knows? Good to have Stephens suspended now though for a few games.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Can imagine what the post match interview will be like. Will be no mention of the inept performance, Martin will just focus on how unlucky Stephens was to be sent off.

It will be "we played some really great stuff, frustrated by conceding two after the penalty miss but it's my fault." 

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Serious question does anyone think Martin is capable of turning this team around? 

And don't give me a noone could, we have the Spine of a decent team with a decent striker and defender and a change of style and tactics 

Nope. Get in a proper manager like Moyes or Potter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes but I think we need an experienced director of football to mentor him 

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think it boils down to one thing - do SR want (need) the club to stay in the Prem? If they do, then RM will be gone well before Xmas because the evidence screams that there’s very little chance his system or indeed his ability to coach the team to success, is going to win or draw us a game of football.

They wouldn't have persisted with Martin and let him sign a new contract if they were interested in staying up 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I don't buy that. We've seen far less talented squads do so much better than this. Yes the players aren't top EPL quality but that's why it's ludicrous for Rusty to have them play the way they do. 

They're not PL quality in any way - that's the issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

In short, no

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

They wouldn't have persisted with Martin and let him sign a new contract if they were interested in staying up 

Who's that spine? Downes has not shown he's PL quality. 

So the spine consists of Ramsdale...and then? 

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Maybe but that’s history and before anyone witnessed the shit show we’re seeing now. Things will be different come end October if we’ve still no points and worse still no goals from open play.

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Maybe but that’s history and before anyone witnessed the shit show we’re seeing now. Things will be different come end October if we’ve still no points and worse still no goals from open play.

Sugawara scored from open play didn't he? 

• Like 2

It took us 6 games to really get going last season, and it was a tough ask to compete in this league before we even started. Many of us felt it was a season too soon to win promotion. But here we are. Be happy to see us give it a go and we can do better than we’ve shown so far. The first 30 minutes today indicates there’s a sliver of hope and there’s something there, we might be able to ignite the touch paper now loyalty to last seasons players is being dropped in favour of performances. New manager isn’t going to solve our situation right now when the players are all behind RM and like working with him. When the dressing room turns then that’s the time to get rid, otherwise a change will achieve nothing. Suck it up and try and enjoy the good moments when they come as we don’t know how many we may get this season, either way look forward to the next.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Harsh on Downes - had to carry Smallbone for the first three games.  Comfortably PL quality.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

This is very much on our recruitment strategy. Allowing Adams to leave and signing archer is likely to backfire.. we’ve absolutely no pressure release, nobody capable of holding the hall up and bringing others into play. We just don’t look capable of scoring and can’t see many coming from midfield either. Looking forward to the goal of the month feature. 
that second half display was shockingly bad..didn’t lay a glove on what we’re an average team and who’ll struggle to make top 6. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

They're not PL quality in any way - that's the issue.

Our recruitment was shite again. What's the point of signing players like Edwards and Woods? I'd be surprised if they make 6 PL appearences between them. The money wasted there should have been used to buy a proper centre back. Should have been far more ruthless, Stephens, Smallbone, Armstrong and Aribo should all have gone. Nowhere near good enough for the PL. BBD and Archer just felt like panic buys. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

Decent line up, midfield looks much stronger, Dibling to shine and Archer to do well down the middle. 3-2 Saints. 

I have been watching Saints since 1962 and I can assure you it it is not a decent PL line up the front six are so inexperienced it is unsurprising that they have have scored zero goals

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Our recruitment was shite again. What's the point of signing players like Edwards and Woods? I'd be surprised if they make 6 PL appearences between them. The money wasted there should have been used to buy a proper centre back. Should have been far more ruthless, Stephens, Smallbone, Armstrong and Aribo should all have gone. Nowhere near good enough for the PL. BBD and Archer just felt like panic buys. 

What £6m? What CB is that buying? 

We needed to upgrade 8 or 9 players. How does that work with FFP? 

What they've done is invested in players that are good enough to get us back up, as we needed too many players to allow us to compete this season with FFP. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I agree with what you are saying but Stephens, Smallbone, Armstrong and Aribo are OK as squad players at the moment the problem has been recruitment for the last four or five years

24 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We tried to play differently today - how did that go? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

What £6m? What CB is that buying? 

We needed to upgrade 8 or 9 players. How does that work with FFP? 

What they've done is invested in players that are good enough to get us back up, as we needed too many players to allow us to compete this season with FFP. 

So wrt the above, are you saying with your ‘contacts’ you know this is the strategy? If that’s true and there’s some kind of inevitability to the season, then a lot of fans will need to re-adjust their expectations and prepare for another run in the Championship. I’m not buying it though - I don’t think any serious business model will adopt a plan to fail strategy.

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

Well, he wasn't for West Ham, so not sure how you can say that. He hasn't looked PL quality, like THB. 

To my eye, Flynn Downes has proven himself well up to Prem level in all four games - much more so than THB, who has made a slow start and looked a little shell-shocked.  I'm confident THB will also prove himself at this level too. 

• Like 2

I think the key moment in us losing this match was clearly the penalty miss by Archer.

If he had scored that then United would have changed the way they play and so would have we.

Can anyone shine any light on why Archer took the pen ? Do you think it was planned or.....as it sorta looked on the pitch, he just made his mind up to take it and no senior player stepped in to not allow him to. I think someone has mentioned the stats that he has played in 117 professional matches and never taken a penalty !  That just doesnt make any sense at all does it ???? Bewildering !  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Lose the next two and I think he might be gone. 

Why the obsession with getting rid of the manager it is clear the squad is not good enough for the PL just look at the other teams in the league they have better players.

Need a few years in the Championship to regroup me thinks

Just now, John B said:

Why the obsession with getting rid of the manager it is clear the squad is not good enough for the PL just look at the other teams in the league they have better players.

Need a few years in the Championship to regroup me thinks

Agreed that the squad isn't up to it. I'm not sure a stint in the Championship would help, though. How could we improve the squad down there?

Well that was desperate, a lunchtime game and they run out of pies.... scandalous.

No surprises in the game. Played well for 30 mins, Dibling looked excellent and obviously worried them. In future I suggest he takes his own penalties.

However the problems were all down the left. KWP had zero cover from that wet fart Diaz, and Utd exploited that.

Recruitment has been very poor. Archer, Diaz, Frazer, Edwards, Woods, Taylor, and Lallana add zero to the squad that we don't already have. Stephens and Bendarek are adequate cover to THB and ABK.

Then they buy Cornett, why? The one position Saints have depth in with Sully and SAA. No way should Onuachu be frozen out either.

Add pretty woeful tactics and there are no surprises in these defeats.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

So wrt the above, are you saying with your ‘contacts’ you know this is the strategy? If that’s true and there’s some kind of inevitability to the season, then a lot of fans will need to re-adjust their expectations and prepare for another run in the Championship. I’m not buying it though - I don’t think any serious business model will adopt a plan to fail strategy.

Look at what I've written in the past and make your own judgement. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We tried to play differently today - how did that go? 

Did we really try to play differently, or just a case of telling Ramsdale to clear it if there was no clear route out (or similar)? The lower possession stats might suggest we did play differently, but was that because Utd were just better than us playing that type of game? 

And anyway, playing with high possession, in itself, is not enough…we know that. What is needed is some nouse moving forward at pace - players making themselves available to receive the ball - accurate passing in triangles - someone actually having the balls to shoot at distance - etc etc.  It’s this part of our game I believe we are absolutely getting wrong. Russball has us trying to play through 11 players every single time and almost every single time failing. This is what needs to change and fast.

9 minutes ago, austsaint said:

To my eye, Flynn Downes has proven himself well up to Prem level in all four games - much more so than THB, who has made a slow start and looked a little shell-shocked.  I'm confident THB will also prove himself at this level too. 

Agree to disagree then. I've not seen him play well this season. 

• Like 1

I like Martin for delivering us promotion last season and giving me a day out at Wembley with my little boy for the playoff final that I’ll remember and cherish until the day I die but we got promoted last season in spite of him, not because of him.

That said, he does seem to be attempting to adapt.  He made a lot of changes today that most of us were screaming out for and we seemed to cut out some of the suicidal passing along the back.  We still managed to be masters of our own downfall and the side still needs tweaks made but I think he’s bought himself a few more weeks by making some changes today.  The Stephens sending off today is going to force his hand there as well which will surely be a good thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Did we really try to play differently, or just a case of telling Ramsdale to clear it if there was no clear route out (or similar)? The lower possession stats might suggest we did play differently, but was that because Utd were just better than us playing that type of game? 

And anyway, playing with high possession, in itself, is not enough…we know that. What is needed is some nouse moving forward at pace - players making themselves available to receive the ball - accurate passing in triangles - someone actually having the balls to shoot at distance - etc etc.  It’s this part of our game I believe we are absolutely getting wrong. Russball has us trying to play through 11 players every single time and almost every single time failing. This is what needs to change and fast.

We clearly played differently, yes, we played more long balls and we carried the ball more. We also moved it far quicker front to back in the first 35 minutes. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Ramsdale Fenandez sugawara  KWP dibling, Bella kotchep (if played) all good enough, the rest not so much 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, madge said:

This is very much on our recruitment strategy. Allowing Adams to leave and signing archer is likely to backfire.. we’ve absolutely no pressure release, nobody capable of holding the hall up and bringing others into play. We just don’t look capable of scoring and can’t see many coming from midfield either. Looking forward to the goal of the month feature. 
that second half display was shockingly bad..didn’t lay a glove on what we’re an average team and who’ll struggle to make top 6. 

Madge

Unfortunately Adams wouldnt have made a scrap of difference in that team today although he might have done better with the penalty.

Even without self-destructive cocking about with the ball 10 yards from our own goal we conceded 3 and, but for Ramsdale, would've conceded 7 or 8.

Even playing pretty decently for 30 minutes at the start of the game, United ended up with 8 shots on target in that half. Alarm bells should be ringing.

This manager can't organise a defence. Never could.

And as we've got no quality whatsoever going forward - beyond teenage cameos - there's not much in the way of solace to take from these defeats.

Can't defend. No goal threat. This is not a combination that ends happily, no matter how pretty the occasional flurry of passing combinations.

On a side note, I'm really disappointed that the signing of two journeymen wingers who have seen better days has resulted in Sam Amo-Ameyaw being pushed out of the squad. He was one of our few bright spots this season, and he'll probably not be seen much for the rest of the campaign now. And there's no way in the world, even at his young age, he is a worse option out wide than Brereton-Diaz, who looks like a pub player out there: a yard off the pace, heavy touch, can't beat anyone.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

We clearly played differently, yes, we played more long balls and we carried the ball more. We also moved it far quicker front to back in the first 35 minutes. 

And then reverted to slowly fannying around with the ball being passed backwards endlessly. The last shot was the penalty rebound.

• Like 2

First 30 minutes we were the better side. Then we miss a stupid penalty. The goals were crap and Stephen’s at fault for both. Disappointed at the fight back, we never really did anything of note at 2-0 down. 

There is enough in this team to stay up. Definitely too early to call for Martin’s head. We all knew it would be a relegation battle. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic