Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread

Wiggles31

United haven't even had to be that decent as we self implode every bloody time! say what you want about looking a bit better, we aren't staying in this league that's for sure! 

• Like 1

Just now, SouSaint said:

Without Ramsdale we'd have conceded 5 here. Jack Stephens and Bednarek were deemed surplus to requirements two summers ago, it's an absolute joke that both appear to be our first choice CBs. 

Yep. Clear to anyone with a set of eyes that our cbs should be ABK and THB

• Like 4

ABK should be starting.  Far better than our starting CBs and THB (who has been s***e this season).  Archer needs to come off at HT - utterly gash and no movement up top.

The bright spot has been Dibling - but he won't be here next season in the Championship (no way Saints are staying up: no-one looks like scoring and the defending is pathetic).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

So utterly predictable. RM was a defender, wasn't he, so how come we can't fucking defend? What does he actually do in training??

Same at MK Dons and Swansea, averages one and a half goals per game conceded.

• Like 2

Call me reactionary but get someone new in now while there's time, someone more attack minded, don't care about attractive football, someone who gives us a chance of scraping survival.  The club knew Martin was going to be a disaster at this level and that's exactly how it's turnt out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We won’t get 11 points this season.

Another premier league record incoming for us.

4 at the back hasn’t worked, fragile as anything when they come forward.

A professional striker backpassing a penalty doesn’t help either. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mr X said:

Call me reactionary but get someone new in now while there's time, someone more attack minded, don't care about attractive football, someone who gives us a chance of scraping survival.  The club knew Martin was going to be a disaster at this level and that's exactly how it's turnt out! 

They gave him a new contract. 

5 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

So utterly predictable. RM was a defender, wasn't he, so how come we can't fucking defend? What does he actually do in training??

Interesting point. Our defense has been mostly fine this season, but 5 out of the 7 goals we've conceded can be directly attributed to one player - Stephens.

• Like 1

HT. Man United have not needed to be good in any department.

We looked decent for about 30 mins, wasted a penalty....

No one will ever convince me that Shoehorn should be in the team....Yet, there he is (still) as captain

4 loses out of 4 this will be another at least another 2 goals shipped. Martin can't keep this up

Ever since that penalty miss Saints have just fallen apart. Stephens playing 3 attackers onside for their first goal and the 2nd was just a shambles. Ramsdale playing a blinder otherwise it'd be even worse.

1 minute ago, Edmonton Saint said:

The problem is that Stephens and Bednarek together have never been good enough. Going back aeons. Stephens is very limited, but Martin backed himself into a corner by making him captain .

Correct, neither were good enough two seasons ago and are still not good enough now. That neither have been successfully replaced in two seasons speaks for itself

• Like 1

That penalty was so important not to miss. Score there and Utd, a team in disarray may have crumbled.

2-0 up now and utterly comfortable.

Archer looked scared. You could tell he'd miss. If that's the case, turn around and hand the ball to someone who's feeling it.

4 games, looking like 4 defeats, 1 goal, bottom of the league. We can't afford stuff like this!

• Like 1

I’ve turned TNT Sports off, deleted the app, turned my phone off, smashed my phone up, put my phone in the bin, taken the bin bag out, burned the bin bag, scooped up the ashes and buried the ashes in the ground. I then peed on the ashes and a flower grew. I then kicked the shit out of the flower.

It’s a long road back from here, penalty miss changed the game. Please God not another 9 nil…

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

If they knew he was going to be a disaster at this level, they wouldn't have given him a contract extension, would they??

I'm not sure this squad can play much better than that for the first 35 minutes. Martin changed the shape. Lesley looks very good, Suga and Dibling are class. I still think KWP is not a good left back though at this level. I'd play Taylor with KWP in front. 

If we take a competent penalty, it's a completely different game. 

Unfortunately, we've given two very soft goals away. Need to see the replays to get appropriately angry with any culprit. If it's Stephens then that's on Martin, I guess. 

Still, I think we look much better than abject relegation fodder and I'm confident we'll pick up some points before long.

It would be very handy if Stewart turns out to be class.

Let's give Cornet and Lallana a crack soon.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

Just now, Viking Saint said:

Correct, neither were good enough two seasons ago and are still not good enough now. That neither have been successfully replaced in two seasons speaks for itself

It's Martin's naivety. He thinks he knows better because they were able to pass it around freely in the championship - never mind the multiple mistakes a game they Stephens made which 9/10 times didn't matter because it was championship strikers, but in the Prem 9/10 we'll concede from them.

Not only that but he changed the formation to get Stephens back in, throwing THB off from everything he's ever known, and has now dropped him because of it. Our starting centrebacks in all seriousness should be THB and ABK but we're not only picking the inferior pairing but giving them long term contracts. 

• Like 2

Just now, Turkish said:

They gave him a new contract. 

Yes but why? Too scared to make the difficult decisions? Martin cheap option?

Everyone knew he wouldn't cut it at this level they have been preparing for a championship push again nothing more and seem content with that 

2 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

The problem is that Stephens and Bednarek together have never been good enough. Going back aeons. Stephens is very limited, but Martin backed himself into a corner by making him captain .

Yes, he has backed himself into a corner with Stephens; and Bednarek is borderline good enough at best.    Martin must put his faith in THB and get ABK up to speed.  Jack Stephens has to be replaced.   There are many promising aspects today - Downes, Les Ugo, Sugawara and Dibling.   Bring Cornet and Lallana on.   Archer and BBD off.

We genuinely looked good for a spell, but as soon as the heads drop then we just fall apart.

Archer and BBD are anonymous, not sure it's entirely their fault. 

We aren't even winning the possession now, heads went completely after that second goal.

The difference is utd know how to finish. Saints played well, missed the pen, and suffered. I still think this is close to our best team. Dibbling and Ramsdale class. Let’s see if saints can go for it t his second half. We will see the Loch Ness Drogba with 15 mins to go.

• Like 1

BBD must have thought his agent was winding him up when he told him a premier league club was in for him. 

We’re playing with 10 men every week with that cart horse jogging about on the left wing. 

2 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

If they knew he was going to be a disaster at this level, they wouldn't have given him a contract extension, would they??

But literally every commentator knew Russ ball wouldn't work at this level they all said it

Am genuinely angry about this. We finally get a fucking penalty against Man U, can't remember when that last happened, and that's the best we can muster. Captain fucking marvel then does his usual brain fart and gifts them a goal and the game gets flipped on its head.

Am turning the news on to remind myself there are things that really matter going on.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Yes but why? Too scared to make the difficult decisions? Martin cheap option?

Everyone knew he wouldn't cut it at this level they have been preparing for a championship push again nothing more and seem content with that 

This management group seems to put too much stock in putting on a display of supporting the manager. Did it last time in the Prem. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-3 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic