Ale, craft, pubs thread

Gloucester Saint

53 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My condolences. 

Like Guinness, it’s a reliable back up if I go somewhere where the alternative is Carling, Carlsberg or some other brewed under licence bilge. But I wouldn’t seek it out especially as an ale. I also like a well made lager, St Austell does one with Korev which can pop up here, although Jever Pilsner is my all time best lager.

Most local pub offers Doom Bar, London Pride, 6X and Butty Bach, with Neck Oil on keg. I usually order one of the last two, sometimes 6X but so many Waddies pubs growing up in Soton and hence had hundreds of pints of 6X that I like to vary it up. Pride has IMHO lost its hop profile somewhat. The other pubs offer Wye Valley HPA (v good), Goffs Cheltenham Gold (yum), Sharp’s coastal pale (not bad) and Butcombe range (decent). Sometimes Bristol Beer Factory guests appear for some excitement.

Cheltenham and Gloucester have some fine establishments. I’m going to Cheltenham v Swindon on 12 October and intend to pop into some of them. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

Beer number one tonight is Madresfield Land First Pale Ale. Bought at St Peter’s Garden Centre near Malvern, which has a fruit and veg shack with it selling great produce. It’s better than it sounds!

Floral nose which followed through on the taste, bit of citrus, tangy but not too bitter. Simple beer but good.

I suspect the grains and hops come from Madresfield Farm and the Hop Shed in Worcester brews it.

IMG_4748.jpeg

Second and final beer for tonight. Maggs Mild from Renegade Brewery in Berkshire. The previous beer was only 3.8% and this is only 3.4%. Not untypical for a Mild although they are being brewed stronger if late, although grateful any milds are brewed at all. I’ll have something stronger at the local tomorrow as a solo pint.

This beer is very dark brown, chocolately nose, malty sweet palate, chocolate biscuits, not much hop presence although a hint of peppery/spicy on the finish. A decent, classic mild. 

IMG_4749.jpeg

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

This week I has been mostly drinking...

...very little, as I was worried about having a "chat" with folk on SaintsWeb. 🙂

I was at a local game today, so didn't get past a couple of pints of Tennants Light (which I don't mind).

Which game did you go to? Never had Tennants Light and probably not had the brand overall since the 90s (shirt sponsor for Rangers IIRC at the time). Better for the waistline by the looks https://untappd.com/b/tennent-s-caledonian-brewery-tennent-s-light/3667240

Last night watching the England ODI I enjoyed Hokum Stomp by Deya in Cheltenham. They are best known for their pale ales and IPAs such as Steady Rolling Man which has won loads of awards but this was a stout. Stronger at 5.6% but very tasty, coffee, bright red berries and dark chocolate finish.

Tonight it’s a beer I bought at the Malvern Autumn Show today, by Copper Beech called Common Ground, a New England style pale ale. Hazy as unfiltered, strongly tropical fruity nose, I can detect mango, mellow grapefruit, pine lingering with a spicy finish. The Show had quite a few local ciders and perries on offer (Worcestershire is famous for its pears and nearby Herefordshire for apples and ciders).

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hook Norton Red Rye tonight, the leaves are turning red and so has my pint. Fruity nose, apples, pears, hints of citrus fruit, with the rye noticeable. The taste is toffee apples, citrus, a peppery hoppiness and dryness from the rye in the finish. The colour is really vivid, very deep red like a sunset.

Off to a couple of the local pubs tomorrow, will zap a pic with the local stone in the background. 

IMG_4796.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do many of you lot get gout? This thread is gout in a bottle 

Can’t speak for others, but no, never had it myself. I’m pescatarian - which sounds like some sort of religious denomination that gets sung about at Old Firm games - but is fish and plants, so don’t have red meat and some of the other stuff which tends to set it off eg creamy sauces and things cooked in butter.

Plus I’m a moderate drinker (5-7 units p/week) and only beer, don’t touch red wine etc. I like it but it’s not so keen on me.

Friends have had it and nasty. 

8 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Can’t speak for others, but no, never had it myself. I’m pescatarian - which sounds like some sort of religious denomination that gets sung about at Old Firm games - but is fish and plants, so don’t have red meat and some of the other stuff which tends to set it off eg creamy sauces and things cooked in butter.

Plus I’m a moderate drinker (5-7 units p/week) and only beer, don’t touch red wine etc. I like it but it’s not so keen on me.

Friends have had it and nasty. 

I’ve had it a couple of times but not for 4 or 5 years now but then I’ve improved my diet and cut down massively on booze so can’t be a coincidence. My bro in law gets it all the time despite being on medication for it. Beer is meant to be one of the worst things to set it off

Edited by Turkish

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Do many of you lot get gout? This thread is gout in a bottle 

Yep, although booze doesn't spike uric acid levels as much as people think. The biggest offender is protein, particularly red meat. A big steak is more likely to trigger an attack than the bottle of red to go with it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’ve had it a couple of times but not for 4 or 5 years now but then I’ve improved my diet and cut down massively on booze so can’t be a coincidence. My bro in law gets it all the time despite being on medication for it. Beer is meant to be one of the worst things to set it off

I had it B.A.D a couple of years ago, wincing, throbbing keep you awake all night agony. Allopurinol sorted it. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

As a non-drinker, this is currently my tipple of choice

U-1BEN5DB0-16_01_2023_14_00_06_1.jpg

I'm also a non drinker and love a bit of burdock, although not easy to get down South. Ginger Beer is my preference. Bundaberg is great, ditto the fever tree stuff. 

Anyone into Lambics / sours?

I've found over the past few years that lager-style beers just make me feel shit, but I'm not a fan of lukewarm bitters or a lot of the very hazy IPAs that you seem to see everywhere now.

Sour beers though, give me less gyp  and are often very interesting.

Lambic is the original king of sours but there are a lot of nice sours produced all over the place now. They go well with food.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, benjii said:

Anyone into Lambics / sours?

I've found over the past few years that lager-style beers just make me feel shit, but I'm not a fan of lukewarm bitters or a lot of the very hazy IPAs that you seem to see everywhere now.

Sour beers though, give me less gyp  and are often very interesting.

Lambic is the original king of sours but there are a lot of nice sours produced all over the place now. They go well with food.

Kriek Lambic is a favourite of mine and also Fou’Foune which is a mix of 18 month matured Lambic and Apricots. Timmermans Peche is a good one as well, not so keen on their Curvee Rene.

Took me a few tries for my palate to adapt in my 20s to the funkiness and complexity but have come to enjoy and appreciate them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Kriek Lambic is a favourite of mine and also Fou’Foune which is a mix of 18 month matured Lambic and Apricots. Timmermans Peche is a good one as well, not so keen on their Curvee Rene.

Took me a few tries for my palate to adapt in my 20s to the funkiness and complexity but have come to enjoy and appreciate them.

They are hard to find, and expensive, but if you ever get the chance to try a Cantillon Gueze, do it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benjii said:

They are hard to find, and expensive, but if you ever get the chance to try a Cantillon Gueze, do it!

Will do. Last time I saw one was in Bermondsey and it was £100 or something daft. Best way is probably on my next work trip to Brussels. Cafe Delirium might have one for £20-25 which I can handle.

Westveleren Trappist ales can get like this on supply, demand and price too, especially the ABV 12

On 21/10/2024 at 18:42, Gloucester Saint said:

Will do. Last time I saw one was in Bermondsey and it was £100 or something daft. Best way is probably on my next work trip to Brussels. Cafe Delirium might have one for £20-25 which I can handle.

Westveleren Trappist ales can get like this on supply, demand and price too, especially the ABV 12

Yeah, that's mad. Should be able to get one in a bar for around 20 quid. Although they have preferred/rare vintages which are sometimes more. Delirium will almost certainly have one and there are plenty of other bars around there that should have it.

• Like 1