Russell Martin v Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

20 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

You're a clown.

Well he is in a way but at the same time he has a point. After 3 games Martin’s results in the Prem are just as shit as Jones’ were. Yes he’s a far more likeable bloke but the results are just as bad and that’s an unarguable fact.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

Well he is in a way but at the same time he has a point. After 4 games Martin’s results in the Prem are just as shit as Jones’ were. Yes he’s a far more likeable bloke but the results are just as bad and that’s an unarguable fact.

Yes but both Nathan managed a team of better PL Players probably I just feel the current squad just cannot hack it in the PL at the present time

A strike force of AA DIAS and ARCHER does nit suggest to me that they will score many goals in the PL

6 minutes ago, John B said:

Yes but both Nathan managed a team of better PL Players probably I just feel the current squad just cannot hack it in the PL at the present time

A strike force of AA DIAS and ARCHER does nit suggest to me that they will score many goals in the PL

Haaland wouldn’t get into double figures with the constant checking back and allowing quality defences a chance to set-up. The ball had to moved at a better tempo and the pattern of play mixed up. City go direct at times so Martin is not beneath it. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, John B said:

Yeah how we miss the goal scoring talent Jones had at his disposal. Che Adams, Mara & the goal machine Theo Walcott. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

It will get ridiculed by the usual suspects but he’s got a point. He’s been every bit as bad and out of his depth as Jones was so far. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It will get ridiculed by the usual suspects but he’s got a point. He’s been every bit as bad and out of his depth as Jones was so far. 

They're both solid championship managers. Neither imo have the quality required for the top league. We've had top managers here before so we know what is required. 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Agreed, but for slightly different reasons. Jones didn’t seem able to put any sort of his own stamp on the team (or at least not in any sort of positive way). The team just looked adrift and often didn’t look like they knew what they were doing. Under Martin, they definitely know what they’re being asked to do, it’s just that what they’re being asked to do is madness: defensive suicide and playing systems/formations that make little sense.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I reckon Nathan in a Russell v Nathan match up. Fittest bloke in Europe is definitely coming out on top.

When will tickets be on sale?

Nate would get fucked up. He’d buzz about and get a few jabs in but eventually Russ would stop fucking about and land a haymaker.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Russ would mince about looking good, but Jones only needs to bide his time & Russ will make a mistake and hand it to him on a plate. 

Really? You'd pick the bantamweight over the middleweight?!

Nate might be the fittest man in Europe but he doesn't have the reach or clout

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Russ would leave his chin wide open, cant defend properly. You’d have to kill Jonesy to beat him. Russ hasn’t got the killer instinct 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Mad nate would bite his nose off and get disqualified. Full marks for aggression though. 

• Haha 3

Russ would keep up appearances and land jabs regularly to limited effect, but would leave himself wide open too often and lose on points.

He'd stand there expecting his hand to be raised and become absolutely incensed when Mad Nate's hand was hoist aloft.

So far, Russell's PL win percentage is 0.

Nathan Jones win percentage at Saints was 35.71% (according to wiki).

So currently, Russ is equal with such managerial greats as Frank de Boer and Terry Connor.

Only three games of course.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Russ would keep up appearances and land jabs regularly to limited effect, but would leave himself wide open too often and lose on points.

He'd stand there expecting his hand to be raised and become absolutely incensed when Mad Nate's hand was hoist aloft.

I think you are forgetting (or maybe didn't read the article) but RM is from a brutal family where his dad used his fists regularly. He and his four brothers had to fight regularly. Russ might not strike you as a fighter with his Buddhist Vegan vibe. But that's because he knows the first rule...

fight club.webp

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

So far, Russell's PL win percentage is 0.

Nathan Jones win percentage at Saints was 35.71% (according to wiki).

So currently, Russ is equal with such managerial greats as Frank de Boer and Terry Connor.

Only three games of course.

Jones won one in eight Premier League matches, which isn't 35% of anyone's money.

• Like 5

Nate would be in the front foot calling everyone by new nicknames, with delusions of being the next champ. Whilst Russ would bravely dance about slowly and aimlessly in a U shape around him for an hour, before punching himself in the face. Twice. Stephens and Manning would be his cornermen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I think you are forgetting (or maybe didn't read the article) but RM is from a brutal family where his dad used his fists regularly. He and his four brothers had to fight regularly. Russ might not strike you as a fighter with his Buddhist Vegan vibe. But that's because he knows the first rule...

fight club.webp

I forgot of the man's upbringing! So he'd rinse the Welsh Wonder then. 3 rounds?

Just now, sfc4prem said:

I forgot of the man's upbringing! So he'd rinse the Welsh Wonder then. 3 rounds?

Not even that. Nate would be bouncing around giving it all the chat. Russ would hang back, be chilled try to stop him embarrassing himself.

Nate would get a glancing chin blow in, and Russ would metaphorically take the gloves off.

Two sets of three punch combos with a ref intervention separating them. Nate is bloody and dazed in the corner and the ref stops the fight. A small white and green hand towel with a red dragon on it is simultaneously thrown over the ropes

• Haha 1

Nigel Adkins lost his first 4 in the Premier League.

its a steep learning curve, and takes a couple of games for players and management to acclimatise and adapt to the unforgiving nature of the league.

It doesn't help when fans who have a cob on about Sport Republic post stupid threads after match 3.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Not even that. Nate would be bouncing around giving it all the chat. Russ would hang back, be chilled try to stop him embarrassing himself.

Nate would get a glancing chin blow in, and Russ would metaphorically take the gloves off.

Two sets of three punch combos with a ref intervention separating them. Nate is bloody and dazed in the corner and the ref stops the fight. A small white and green hand towel with a red dragon on it is simultaneously thrown over the ropes

To be followed by a continual monotony from our Welsh hero: “I was the better fighter, I was the one on the front foot, I deserved more from the fight….”

• Haha 1

No way would Jones fight fair. As soon as the bell went, he’d drop to all fours and gallop forward like an animal, emitting a guttural bellow, launching himself biting and snapping at Russell’s beautiful crotch, with the goal of chewing his nads off, like a rabid Welsh honey badger. 

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Nigel Adkins lost his first 4 in the Premier League.

its a steep learning curve, and takes a couple of games for players and management to acclimatise and adapt to the unforgiving nature of the league.

It doesn't help when fans who have a cob on about Sport Republic post stupid threads after match 3.

In fairness, Nigel had City (champions) away, Arsenal away and Utd at home in his first 4. Unlucky to lose to both Manchester clubs as well.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

In fairness, Nigel had City (champions) away, Arsenal away and Utd at home in his first 4. Unlucky to lose to both Manchester clubs as well.

The worst of the first 4 was the Wigan home game, we barely turned up that day. Trounced by Arsenal though.

We still looked like scoring goals though, by game 4 we had at least scored 5 goals and there was something to build on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

The worst of the first 4 was the Wigan home game, we barely turned up that day. Trounced by Arsenal though.

We still looked like scoring goals though, by game 4 we had at least scored 5 goals and there was something to build on. 

Even Danny Fox scored.

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

No way would Jones fight fair. As soon as the bell went, he’d drop to all fours and gallop forward like an animal, emitting a guttural bellow, launching himself biting and snapping at Russell’s beautiful crotch, with the goal of chewing his nads off, like a rabid Welsh honey badger. 

At the very least the minty little runt has the same breath as a fucking badger. 

• Haha 1

We're no strangers to slow starts.

I remember taking my nipper to his first away game at Highbury in mid October '98.

We had the grand total of 1 point and had conceded 21 goals and scored 3.

We managed a 1-1 draw (Berkamp for them and Howells for us) and then things slowly improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

We're no strangers to slow starts.

I remember taking my nipper to his first away game at Highbury in mid October '98.

We had the grand total of 1 point and had conceded 21 goals and scored 3.

We managed a 1-1 draw (Berkamp for them and Howells for us) and then things slowly improved.

I remember that well. A colleague at work followed English football ("soccer" here in the States) and had an annual bet with me that Saints would go down. Anyway, before that match he asked me "what's the difference between Saints and a cocktail stick?"

"I dunno, what's the difference?"

"A cocktail stick has two points!"

Oh how I laughed. Not.

Fuller (not Ricardo) interview:-

https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1829924483227931000

No eye contact. Absolutely seething.

It's his job on the line, eventually. I can only hope he can leave that at the club.

Yet, consistent in that he had no issues with the first one they conceded coming form them try to be aggressive.

People respond differently. But do you think you're game would be consistently better under the responses of Nate or Russ?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Fuller (not Ricardo) interview:-

https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1829924483227931000

No eye contact. Absolutely seething.

It's his job on the line, eventually. I can only hope he can leave that at the club.

Yet, consistent in that he had no issues with the first one they conceded coming form them try to be aggressive.

People respond differently. But do you think you're game would be consistently better under the responses of Nate or Russ?

No one can accuse Nathan Jones of not caring. I actually think he comes across OK, just frustrated. They've had a good start to the season - won their first three so he probably could have brushed that defeat off -  9 from 4 games is fine, they are top 6 -  but he clearly can't do that. 

I hope Charlton go up.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

No one can accuse Nathan Jones of not caring. I actually think he comes across OK, just frustrated. They've had a good start to the season - won their first three so he probably could have brushed that defeat off -  9 from 4 games is fine, they are top 6 -  but he clearly can't do that. 

I hope Charlton go up.

He's certainly getting across the level of performance he expects. Are Charlton aiming for promotion? Nate certainly seems to be.

I saw the (not very many) highlights. That second goal was conceded from a counter. They got players back, but defensively weren't switched on enough and conceded. That's what he was so livid about.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I think the performances and tactics have been woeful but you’d struggle to find a manager in world football that would keep this squad up. It’s a championship squad with no goal threat. 

Simply don’t agree that it is a championship squad. Granted there are shortfalls in the final third but it is certainly not a championship squad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

I think the performances and tactics have been woeful but you’d struggle to find a manager in world football that would keep this squad up. It’s a championship squad with no goal threat. 

I agree. Hopefully one or two of the new signings come good but we have brought in little proven quality up front.

I partly feel that rm tactics might work if played with more urgency and a higher tempo. A few less passes per attack and God forbid maybe shooting at the goal from a different angle the 45degrees. Also maybe if we don't play our tall attackers we play better free kicks and corners at a lower more dangerous height. We need to be more ruthless 

6 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

I partly feel that rm tactics might work if played with more urgency and a higher tempo. A few less passes per attack and God forbid maybe shooting at the goal from a different angle the 45degrees. Also maybe if we don't play our tall attackers we play better free kicks and corners at a lower more dangerous height. We need to be more ruthless 

So, in essence, keep the tactics whilst completely changing them?

7 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

What you're describing are different tactics. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aintforever said:

I agree. Hopefully one or two of the new signings come good but we have brought in little proven quality up front.

We got the goalkeeper we needed, but our outfield recruitment has been confused. We've now got too many wing-backs and wingers and no striker.

Asking our rectuitment team to explain the logic behind their strategy would be like asking Eric Morecambe to explain his piano playing.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Wiggles31 said:

Simply don’t agree that it is a championship squad. Granted there are shortfalls in the final third but it is certainly not a championship squad. 

Bednarek, Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo, Arma and BBD are nothing other than Championship players. 

Downes and THB I think can do a job in this league but they’re not quite there yet. THB needs to adjust to the speed of this league quickly. Downes was excellent at Newcastle but he’s struggled since. 

And still some unknowns with some of the other new signings. 

The only established Premier League talent this squad has got is Ramsdale who’s been here less than a week and KWP who isn’t playing in his preferred position.