Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's true that THB didn't have the best of games last week.

But did you not see how badly Stephens was getting rinsed when he moved to LB? It was painful to watch and RM rightly put him out of his misery and made another change.

So the fault lies with RM for thinking that was a good idea in the first place. He put in some OK performances at LB last season when needed, but at PL level it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Sure, Stephens was crap at LB but he ain't a LB. He was decent as a CB and is playing there today. Based on their respective performances at CB last week, I can't understand how anyone watching would call for Stephens to be dropped. And for who, assuming we stay with a 3 - neither Edwards or Wood looked anywhere near good enough in the week. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Can we just for once have a manager that just picks the best players and a formation that suits their strengths?

It's maddening!

I really wish I had such a simple outlook on stuff as this :D 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Not sure about sticking with the same team or formation.

Russ literally said it was his fault and that against Nottingham Forest it led to the whole game 'passing us by'...

What is the definition of insanity?

Leaving Downes and Aribo to do all of the work in the middle is insanity. Because Brentford away is not the game for Will Smallbone until he’s hit the gym, he will bullied out of it within the first 25 minutes and the game could be gone.

Only hope is that Brentford struggle to take their chances, and/or Ramsdale has a stormer, and we can bring our new signings on in the last 30 to move their midfield around (which is what we should be doing from the outset) and nick it.

Did the club actually scout Brentford?

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Not at all surprised with that line up. I reckon Lallana gets half an hour today, Archer maybe the same. Fernandes likely too. Gives those on the pitch a nod to up their game. 

More hoping that BBD actually plays as a striker today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure, Stephens was crap at LB but he ain't a LB. He was decent as a CB and is playing there today. Based on their respective performances at CB last week, I can't understand how anyone watching would call for Stephens to be dropped. And for who, assuming we stay with a 3 - neither Edwards or Wood looked anywhere near good enough in the week. 

Stephen's is a broadly competent CB, third best at the club IMO, or maybe 4th best if ABK is back in the fold. However Stephens is NOT a competent midfielder or LB at this level. He should be the one we take off to bring on subs. He should not be moved to other positions while we take off others.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not at all surprised with that line up. I reckon Lallana gets half an hour today, Archer maybe the same. Fernandes likely too. Gives those on the pitch a nod to up their game. 

More hoping that BBD actually plays as a striker today.

Yep. I reckon BBD and AA will play closer together today and the 3 midfielders will be more compact, joining the front 2 when we can. Played differently, the team ain't a bad one. 

Agreed re the subs. I can see Dibling getting decent minutes too. 

• Like 2

Poor selection. Prepare to be bored until 70th minute, when we're 1-0 behind and he reacts with the inevitable subs. Lets hope Sugawara isn't sacrificed to keep an out of position Stephens on this week. 

• Like 8

What’s the fucking point spending all that money and getting all those players in when you still start Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo and Armstrong.

It’s like the Tyro League manager picking his shit son and his mate’s shit son every fucking week.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Ken Tone said:

Stephen's is a broadly competent CB, third best at the club IMO, or maybe 4th best if ABK is back in the fold. However Stephens is NOT a competent midfielder or LB at this level. He should be the one we take off to bring on subs. He should not be moved to other positions while we take off others.

I've never suggested Stephens is a competent midfielder or LB!

He's a CB. He's playing CB. He was better there last week than THB. 

Who are those calling for him to be dropped saying should replace him in a back 3?! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Who are those calling for him to be dropped saying should replace him in a back 3?! 

I wouldn't be playing a back three against Brentford. Its obvious we are going three at the back to accommodate a starting place for Stephens. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, egg said:

We should play 2 at the back. Either THB or ABK would be better. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, egg said:

They are saying we shouldn’t be playing a back 3 it never works!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Don't like the back 5, but i get why. Hopefully we get ArmA and BBD close together up top not out wide. And hopefully Aribo plays further up than against Nottingham.

Do you get why? Because I don't. It doesn't work in the prem.

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wouldn't be playing a back three against Brentford. Its obvious we are going three at the back to accommodate a starting place for Stephens. 

What a ridiculous comment. Tactics aren't dictated by Stephens. A back is being played cos he feels we need a back 3

Edited by egg
  • Like 3

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone, but when Stephens got injured last season we brought THB in and we never looked back. Maybe just a little niggle for Jack where he has to sit out for a week or two, is that too much to ask? Maybe a bit of flu? 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

What’s the fucking point spending all that money and getting all those players in when you still start Stephens, Smallbone, Aribo and Armstrong.

It’s like the Tyro League manager picking his shit son and his mate’s shit son every fucking week.

We dont see what is happening behind the scenes. Perhaps they are not ready. I recall us rushing Mason Holgate into the lineup when he came here... that went "so well."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, egg said:

This is the crux of it though. Why do we need to stay with a 3? It might make us tighter at the back, but so far it's made us very weak in midfield and toothless up front.

Stephens might have had a better game at CB last week than THB did, but Taylor is overall the better player and the better option to partner Bednarek if/when we revert to a back 4.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Probably the only game he has been better than THB.

He is such a poor defender.  No awareness of who is around him and too slow with the ball at his feet.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Football is a simple game. Doesn't need to be complicated. 

So simple. Just pick the specific 11 you are thinking of in the pattern you are thinking of and you've cracked it. EVERYTHING ELSE IS WRONG OBVIOUSLY OMG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE SEE IT LIKE YOU.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Find the Stephens hate bizarre. It’s not as if he’s even been our worst cb so far this season.

Worst in what sense?

He’s just too slow. His dallying kills our game of any pace or urgency that it might have had. He gets skinned regularly by any competent opposition forward. He’s just not a very good defender and certainly not good enough for the Premier League.

Has he been better than Bednarek, for example? THB had a disappointing game last week but in view of his previous performances I will cut him some slack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I think we’re playing 5 at the back because we haven’t worked out how to avoid conceding for fun with 4 at the back.

We need to actually score some goals to breed confidence and win games. Playing ultra defensive and losing by one goal every week is not it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I think we’re playing 5 at the back because we haven’t worked out how to avoid conceding for fun with 4 at the back.

This, got nothing to do with accommodating Stephens FFS.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Account approved just in time to join in the pile on! 😝 Watched all of the Forest game and the Cardiff game, honestly have no idea what Smallbone has on the manager. He was dreadful against Forest, no ability (or confidence, which is nearly the same thing at this level) to take the ball on the turn under pressure. Les or Fernandes obviously a class above.

We'll see what happens early doors, but the problem so far has been that PL managers know how to stop this setup dead, just like Spain did in the Euros against England. It's not rocket science. You just put heavy pressure on 6, 8, 10 and if they're not good enough technically, which Smallbone and Aribo aren't (not sure about Downes), you simply can't progress the ball unless one of your CBs is good enough to advance into the space and use the ball productively.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Worst in what sense?

He’s just too slow. His dallying kills our game of any pace or urgency that it might have had. He gets skinned regularly by any competent opposition forward. He’s just not a very good defender and certainly not good enough for the Premier League.

Has he been better than Bednarek, for example? THB had a disappointing game last week but in view of his previous performances I will cut him some slack.

Why don't you cut Stephens slack based on his previous performances out of interest?

I don't rate him much but his performances last season and this have been absolutely fine. 

36 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed. I genuinely wonder how many of the people whining that he's playing today actually watched the Forest game.

Anyone who watched the game and wants him to be dropped after that performance, and THB's in comparison, needs to give their head a wobble. 

Stephens was poor last week. Offered nothing positive. THB had an off day. Stephens should have been dropped ages ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Why don't you cut Stephens slack based on his previous performances out of interest?

I don't rate him much but his performances last season and this have been absolutely fine. 

He was poor last season too. And the seasons before that. He’s just not good enough.

• Like 3

Feel like we really need a win today for points, confidence and to generate some momentum.

I expect archer, Fernandes and big Les to make the difference in 2nd half.

First game this season I can watch live so expect a easy 2-0 win for us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is the crux of it though. Why do we need to stay with a 3? It might make us tighter at the back, but so far it's made us very weak in midfield and toothless up front.

Stephens might have had a better game at CB last week than THB did, but Taylor is overall the better player and the better option to partner Bednarek if/when we revert to a back 4.

I think Wednesday night answers the question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I think Wednesday night answers the question. 

When we played a completely changed starting 11 featuring two young, newly signed CBs with a very inexperienced midfield in front of them and a suspect keeper behind them? 

I don't think that's the gotcha you think it is.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic