Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

7 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Will Ramsdale start today? I suppose it is a little different for a keeper coming straight in. I was just expecting him to start at SMS against Man U for some reason. 

That aged well 😂 

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Find the Stephens hate bizarre. It’s not as if he’s even been our worst cb so far this season.

It’s not so much that, it’s more that to accommodate him we play a more defensive line-up. 

• Like 5

Bit annoyed at Russ. He went into this season saying we would take risks, be brave and it wouldn't always work. 

But, he seems unwilling to stray from his favourites and sticking with 5 at the back. We're suited to a 433 which is the braver/riskier option

• Like 3

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

It’s not so much that, it’s more that to accommodate him we play a more defensive line-up. 

And then when we do change shape midway through a game, he gets shoehorned into another position like LB, when that's the one position we are already well stacked in.

I don't hate Stephens by any stretch of the imagination. He has some strengths, and he also has some glaring weaknesses. But the way RM continually insists on finding a place for him on the pitch when there are clearly better options available is quite bizarre.

• Like 8

I suspect this will be the last nearly-unchanged/'deserves a chance because of last year' XI that Martin fields. From his comments mid-week it sounds like he will have said to the starters today 'fight for your place' - if he doesn't get anything out of them, changes on 60 minutes and from the start after the international break I should hope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And then when we do change shape midway through a game, he gets shoehorned into another position like LB, when that's the one position we are already well stacked in.

I don't hate Stephens by any stretch of the imagination. He has some strengths, and he also has some glaring weaknesses. But the way RM continually insists on finding a place for him on the pitch when there are clearly better options available is quite bizarre.

Totally agree 

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Totally agree.

Russ being Russ. We all know he’s stubborn as fuck.

Almost feels like he’s happy to not bother with anything before the international break. These lot and Forest will be around us at the bottom though so they’re big games. Bit stupid really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

clearly there need to be a few more defeats before there are changes 

defence looks ok but everything in front of it looks ordinary in premiership terms 

Rugby, or Scotland. Sorry one of my bugbears. 

Edited by Dr Who?

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I thought Fernandes might start as he was taken off early. Can’t say I’m shocked by him going safe and sticking to 5 at the back considering how bad defensively we were in midweek against a bad championship team with 4 at the back.

But that was a back four that contained reserve players. Smallbone, Aribo, Stephens and Armstrong are not good enough to be starting PL matches. 

• Like 5

No outfield changes… why not, awful last week, Martin is very difficult to understand sometimes and this sort of thing is really emphasises that view.

🤷‍♂️

Idiotic line up

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Find the Stephens hate bizarre. It’s not as if he’s even been our worst cb so far this season.

Agreed. I genuinely wonder how many of the people whining that he's playing today actually watched the Forest game.

Anyone who watched the game and wants him to be dropped after that performance, and THB's in comparison, needs to give their head a wobble. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Team looks set up to try and keep a clean sheet and a draw would be a good result.  KWP will need to watch the inverted fullback stuff as Brentford love to exploit those gaps.  I'm guessing Armstrong got the nod as RM trusts him more on the defensive stuff but both him and Diaz will need to make more of the limited chances we create.

Same players does not necessarily mean same tactics. Probably giving that lineup a last chance. 

See how it goes, hopefully the front two will be closer together.

Edited by Bob60

Team makes sense to me. Guys who did well during the week wont get through 90 minutes. You would all want them on the pitch in the most important part of the game which you'd hope would be at the end. With 5 subs people need to move on from the starting 11 being so vital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Agreed. I genuinely wonder how many of the people whining that he's playing today actually watched the Forest game.

Anyone who watched the game and wants him to be dropped after that performance, and THB's in comparison, needs to give their head a wobble. 

It's true that THB didn't have the best of games last week.

But did you not see how badly Stephens was getting rinsed when he moved to LB? It was painful to watch and RM rightly put him out of his misery and made another change.

So the fault lies with RM for thinking that was a good idea in the first place. He put in some OK performances at LB last season when needed, but at PL level it's a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Not sure about sticking with the same team or formation.

Russ literally said it was his fault and that against Nottingham Forest it led to the whole game 'passing us by'...

What is the definition of insanity?

• Like 1

Line up as expected, but not as wanted.

I understand it might take a few games for the new boys to be considered up to speed enough to start, but hopefully it's not too long!

Encouraging that we know that midfield can be improved now.

Brilliant that Hagrid starts.

Not watching this (on the train back from the big city), which means we'll win.

You can thank me later.

2-0 Saints.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I can only hope that the plan is to keep it tight for 60 mins and then unleash the subs.

hope so,but just play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, not 5 at the back and just sit just above our own box ffs.

8 minutes ago, santolijador said:

I suspect this will be the last nearly-unchanged/'deserves a chance because of last year' XI that Martin fields. From his comments mid-week it sounds like he will have said to the starters today 'fight for your place' - if he doesn't get anything out of them, changes on 60 minutes and from the start after the international break I should hope. 

Think you are right. We were shite v Forest. But the message is clear: that Same team gets a chance to make amends pretty much.
Feel for Archer especially but I expect he will come on. As will Tyler and Mateus. Just hope it’s still all square at that point. Not 2 or 3 down to the Bees FFS. In Russ we trust. 😇

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic