Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

We got promoted due getting into 4th and then winning a mini cup league. Perhaps look back at the match thread from the play off final. You were all drooling over him,

Im not happy but you lot on here!!!!

Me? Not me. I was never drooling over anybody. Besides, I was at the game, not watching on a message board.

• Like 1

Psychotic giveaways at the back. You simply can’t do that at this level and expect anything.

when we try to play a 4 our midfield is horribly exposed defensively on the turnover.

our attack is as toothless as I thought it was. Archer a non entity, bbd all puff no cigar and the less said about armstrong’s finishing the better.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Lallana is twice the player Aribo is. There I’ve said it.

The header to set it was pure class, but if you watch, he gives it to Dibling and then tells him exactly where to give to back, great goal, pity it counts for fuck all. 

• Like 1

Martin can fuck off

the ridiculous fannying around at the back, 3 man defence, Stephen’s playing in midfield, one of the forwards hugging the touchline, Smallbone starting 

just a fucking mess 

• Like 13

What pained me was when the co-commentator said this screams relegation as the second went in, and I worryingly didn't see the comment to be that outlandish.

Edited by sfc4prem
  • Like 2

Amazing from Bournemouth. Everton looking like relegation fodder too. Ipswich and Leicester only a point better off. We still have time to get to safety in what is now a 35 game season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I was agreeing with your point. We've looked this bad and we're yet to play any teams that can properly take us apart.

Apologies mate. I misinterpreted it as sarcasm in the heat of the moment. Anyway, we done a goal!!!

• Like 1

Positives

- Ramsdale: could do nothing about the goals. Without him it would've been far worse 

- Sugawara: looking like a very good buy and deserved his goal

- Fernandes: did more in 10 minutes than Smallbone managed in 45. Must start next game

- Dibling: enjoy him while you can, he'll be gone next season. Makes the game look easy. Another who must start next game

- Lallana: clearly a Premiership player. Makes his passes count and can read the game

Negatives

- Absolutely everything else. If RM isn't prepared to change, we'll be comfortably down by Christmas

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 8

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin can fuck off

the ridiculous fannying around at the back, 3 man defence, Stephen’s playing in midfield, one of the forwards hugging the touchline, Smallbone starting 

just a fucking mess 

And that's before you even mention the cluster fuck of a starting line-up which invited this trouncing.

• Like 5

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Ramsdale, KWP, Bednarek, ABK, KWP, Downes,Les, Fernandes, Dibling, Cornet, Archer. 

Our best team surely in a 4-2-3-1.

KWP twice would be impressive. Assume you mean Suga at RB, in which case I agree. 

I was hoping that Saints might at least have managed to squeeze a point from those first 3 games but it looks like Russball has been well and truly sussed by everyone else in the league. Just can't see where a win is going to come from if Saints continue with this slow suicidal walking football.

• Like 2

Just now, Micky said:

The header to set it was pure class, but if you watch, he gives it to Dibling and then tells him exactly where to give to back, great goal, pity it counts for fuck all. 

Trouble is he won’t start - for some reason RM thinks the same formation and the same players will come good eventually. They won’t because they’re not good enough.

• Like 1

Can’t be arsed. Martin is a fraud. 

Lallana has more talent in his little toe than most of this squad so should be starting whenever he is fit. We’ve got absolutely fucking zero chance of finishing anything other then 20th with the current manager though. 

• Like 2

Well that again for 90 mins was an absolute shit show tactically. If you look at that game how positionally poor was Stephen’s and he appears to be no 1 choice. But we MUST stop this style of play, premier league managers are much more adept on not allowing us to play out from the back and it’s suicidal to continue. I’m not sure why he bought BBD, looks very average at this level, although lallana at least showed some awareness and ability. Martin either has to change or the board needs to make a change. We’ve not spent the money we have to continue like this. 

Edited by madge
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Ramsdale, KWP, Bednarek, ABK, KWP, Downes,Les, Fernandes, Dibling, Cornet, Archer. 

Our best team surely in a 4-2-3-1.

"There's only two Walker-Peters, only two......" etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few off the pace - but I thought Walker-Peters was pretty crap today, held things up for too long, have the ball away in dangerous areas a few times, didn’t get any crosses in, granted he was helped much either, but so many Brentford attacks came down our left side.

Not surprised no one picked that up as he often seems to get a free pass. I just really don’t like him as a LB, he’s not as undroppable as people make out and if he wants to play he should be competing for the RB spot and we play an actual LB.

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 2

Surely none of you thought heading into this season that it would be anything other than defeat after defeat with the odd high thrown in. 

We already know that Smallbone, Stevens, Arma, Aribo are nowhere near the level needed for Prem survival. 

Janny B is a bottom 6 level player, KWP a bottom half player. 

Jury very much out on Diaz being anything more than a championship player. 

Downes, Suga, THB we just dont know yet if they have the quality for a team looking to survive in the Prem. 

The only one to start today that is a proven Prem standard player is Ramsdale. 

1 minute ago, bangkoksaint said:

I think his next league team selection will tell us a couple of things. Firstly whether we have a chance of staying up and secondly whether he is likely to be still in charge come Christmas. 

You telling me we have to put up with this utter shit until Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

I was hoping that Saints might at least have managed to squeeze a point from those first 3 games but it looks like Russball has been well and truly sussed by everyone else in the league. Just can't see where a win is going to come from if Saints continue with this slow suicidal walking football.

That was my feeling, although i thought we'd only get 2 from out first 5; a point against Forest and lose the two away games, United loss and get squeeze a point at Dean Court.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We should have been ruthless and sold Armstrong. Could have probably fleeced someone for £20million.

I doubt it. He doesn't improve any other PL team. Only the relegated teams in the Championship with parachute payments could afford him. £10m to £15m probably.

Just now, Nemi said:

A few of the pace - but I thought Walker-Peters was pretty crap today, held things up for too long, have the ball away in dangerous areas a few times, didn’t get any crosses in, granted he was helped much either, but so many Brentford attacks came down our left side.

Not surprised no one picked that up as he often seems to get a free pass. I just really don’t like him as a LB, he’s not as undroppable as people make out and if he wants to play he should be competing for the RB spot and we play an actual LB.

Well don't be surprised if in a poor system with players on the bench who clearly should be starting you don't get the best out of your talented players. You drop them in the middle of a shits how and they will drop in standard.

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

I doubt it. He doesn't improve any other PL team. Only the relegated teams in the Championship with parachute payments could afford him. £10m to £15m probably.

He didn't improve our team and we signed him.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Brum in L1 just paid 20m for a centre forward. 

“I wish you were right, he’s far too lightweight for this league, as he was last time he played in it. However as with Jack Stephens I fully expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet each week as long as Russ is in charge.”

That was my opinion on Smallbone last week that Manji reacted to with a confused face.

We’ll be relegated before May.

That was my response in the same thread when someone mentioned this brand of football would end in relegation in May, which Manji also reacted to with a confused face.

Are you any less confused this week @manji?

Utter shit show this week once more tactically by Russ. I still maintain that another manager with the same players would have done better last season, and I feel the same now. If he won’t adjust his setup, and carries on picking certain players then I fully expect us to be the next Derby County when it comes to worst ever Premier League clubs.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, saints-til-i-die said:

The only thing to look forward to after a loss is Pissy Martin being wound up by Blackmore’s questions! 🤣 

Or today you could go onto Everton's fans forum to cheer yourself up.

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

“I wish you were right, he’s far too lightweight for this league, as he was last time he played in it. However as with Jack Stephens I fully expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet each week as long as Russ is in charge.”

That was my opinion on Smallbone last week that Manji reacted to with a confused face.

We’ll be relegated before May.

That was my response in the same thread when someone mentioned this brand of football would end in relegation in May, which Manji also reacted to with a confused face.

Are you any less confused this week @manji?

You've certainly remembered a couple of confused face reactions well.

Not sure I'd have the same level of precise memory as you!

3 at the back, 4 at the back - it makes no difference if you don't have a plan to beat the press you'll see at this level. What's most worrying is that RM seems to have spent zero time on this. I mean, come on, you've broadcast you're gonna try to play it out, surely you have to know everyone will try to nick it at the back?!!

And we are a complete mess in transition after losing it. Where's the planning??? 

• Like 1

I'm willing to give Martin a bit of slack as most of our business was done very late, but any mitigation goes out the window after the international break. I think he somewhat underperformed with the squad he had last year to finish 4th, so although I like him as a person he doesn't have much credit in the bank with me.

If we are going to pass it out, we need to be better drilled and slicker than we have been so far. I don't think Stephens and Bednarek are good enough with the ball at this level to have this kind of responsibility. Martin needs to show us his much revered man-management skills and get ABK onboard, he is a level above the other CBs.

I'm hoping that we come back from the break with ABK, Ugochukwu, Fernandes, Archer, Cornet, Dibling and, if you'll let me dream, Stewart integrated into the squad more and playing Martinball as he draws it up. When it works, it is good fun and if he is a good coach I believe he can get those players, along with Ramsdale, KWP, Suga, THB, Downes and BBD playing good possession football. For me, judging Martin starts now, I hope he can deliver.

But, I suspect Sport Republic will have Graham Potter on speed dial if things are not looking better by October.

• Like 3

Well it didn't take us long to be brought back down to earth after May.

We're certainly back in the utter misery of the PL, such a miserable league to be part of if you're a poor side, sadly you need to be here financially though. Doesn't make it any easier to take getting beaten every week, just like we were two years ago. Nothing has changed.

We scored a goal though, who'd have thought it.

Smallbone needs to be taken out of the firing line for his own sake, not good enough for this level as it stands. Aribo the same who is just a mess when he's pressed. Armstrong missed chances like that last season, but he got another 2 or 3 in the same game to make up for it. In this league you get 1, that's it. He thrives on space which we don't get at this level, he isn't quicker than PL defenders, so sadly he is a pointless player to have in a PL side. I hoped last season would have brought him some confidence and belief, but sadly it's quite clear that he's just not up to the level.

THB is a young player struggling, looks very nervous. He didn't get caught out like that last season, in fact he was one of our better ball playing CB's. I'd probably take him out of the firing line for a bit as well.

Fernandes, who is only young and just in this country, is immediately of a better standard to that of Aribo and Smallbone - you can see it from a mile off, even in the warm up he's better.

BBD looks a bit of a carthorse it has to be said, bit of a shithouse though. Although being a shithouse and still losing is a pretty miserable place to be.

A very neive display all in all. The playing from the back bollocks got us caught out in the Champ, but the quality wasn't there to punish it, as everyone and their dog said...do the same at this level, with the same players, the mistakes will happen and you'll get punished. There's no refinement about it, or practice at it, you just need better players if you really want to do that. But we don't have good players, so we really shouldn't be exposing them like this. 

The problem isn't passing from the back at all times per-say, but it's the passing 'back' to pass around the back which does it for us. Unnecessary passing. We just need to move it quicker through the midfield and it wouldn't be such a problem, but we seemingly don't have the players to move it quickly.

It's been a very tough lesson thus far, although not really surprising. We've all seen this story before so we know how it ends. Stephens, Bednarek, Aribo, Armstrong trying to play PL football doesn't really work. 

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I wonder if Lucy has concerns about the lack of penetration?

He's so self centered she's probably asking why he's messing around so much in his box and doesn't stick anything into her box.