Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We went all through the emotion of a play off win to get promoted, then to play the most negative football when we get there. No point in us getting that promotion if we are going to play like this every season. I would honestly sack Martin now, his loyalty and stubborness will see us relegated long before the end of the season. 

But getting relegated is a good thing, cos we don't have to play in this piece of shit league. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well this is bad…

Need to drop the 5 at the back - it’s not working.

THB will take the flack for the goal but whoever played it back to him stitched him up. Two players on him instantly.

Martin needs to forget loyalty. It doesn’t win you points. Having Premier League quality players does and it is blatantly obvious that Stephen’s, Smallbone, Aribo and Armstrong are not that.

Need the manager to show a bit of his own ‘bravery’ and make big changes.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We went all through the emotion of a play off win to get promoted, then to play the most negative football when we get there. No point in us getting that promotion if we are going to play like this every season. I would honestly sack Martin now, his loyalty and stubborness will see us relegated long before the end of the season. 

Very frustrating, whilst this game isn’t over, presuming we lose it will be 0 points from 9. With a different approach it could have been 3 points against Forest and a point today should have been achievable. 

1 minute ago, Mallagroth said:

This is not as bad as everyone is saying. The pairing of Aribo and small bone is the glaring issue, the failure to keep the ball moving through midfield means it’s coming back over and over again into the danger areas, it’s also why we end up horseshoe passing so often as they just aren’t creative enough midfield players at this level and Too static.

But we all know that, the only one who’s burying his head in the sand is bloody RM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Why is Stephens being given a free role to play at CB but just roam wherever he wants on the pitch?

Didn’t you hear the forum on Solent? To quote RM “Jacks great, he can do whatever he wants”

• Haha 2

Haven't seen the build up to the goal yet but it seems like the team just doesn't know what to do in transition after losing the ball. 3 at the back can work fine, it does for Alonso at Leverkusen but they put massive pressure on the ball as soon as they lose it in midfield and that just isn't happening here.

Opponents will be looking forward to RM's Saints gifting them 3 points. This slow walking backwards football deep in our own half is being easily countered and not helped by occasional easy chances up front being squandered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

IMG_1237.thumb.png.1b3889ba6276778b133f0cf6deb62718.png

After the last couple of games I'd be tempted to drop THB rather than Stephens. THB is still learning the game at this level. Aribo has also been ok but otherwise that team looks better.

I thought Newcastle were poor. We gifted them 3 points.

I thought Nottm Forest were poor. We gifted them 2 points.

Brentford have looked really sloppy so far but here we are AGAIN gifting goals and chances

How is this the way to play Russ.

How is this good, effective or even entertaining Russ.

It's shit and I hate it.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Honestly don’t see how anyone can put today down to the formation. We’ve been very much in the game. It’s suicidal play at the back they are being dictated to do which would be there if we had a 4 too

we have almost zero goal threat

• Like 1

Just now, SNSUN said:

After the last couple of games I'd be tempted to drop THB rather than Stephens. THB is still learning the game at this level. Aribo has also been ok but otherwise that team looks better.

THB won't learn this level from the bench and we know Stephens ability ceiling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zorba said:

Russell Martin "I said to the guys 'if we are going to lose we are going to lose our way' 

That’s alright then Russ.. Carry on!

Yeah, fill your boots mate if it floats your boat, Stubborn as a mule.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

We’ve created chances today. Our strikers are aren’t great but neither are the ones on the bench.

we have almost zero goal threat..You can stat it up as much as you like but we are generally not a threat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Is he in denial? everyone in the country can see our players aren't good enough to play it out from the back except him!

But he'll always believe he's right I'm afraid.

• Like 2

I don't mind the Russball out of defense. I like excitement!  Yes, there are disasters, but overall it gives our team something unique. When it works it's sublime.  Against the chances it gives up, you have to stack up all the chances it avoids (by extra possession, and by avoid the long-ball likely giveaways).   

What I DO mind is Adam Armstrong. He's been really weak this year. Love his energy, but he gives away the ball so many times... and misses like the one we just had are infuriating.  Sub him for Dibling. Or for anyone.  

(And I'd also prefer 4-3-3 w Fernandes on for Stephens...)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

2 1/2 matches into the season. 

anyone noticing a trend?

Yes.   We have most of the possession, make fewer shots on goal than our opponents, play with AA and BBD upfront and fail to score.

6 minutes ago, Zorba said:

Russell Martin "I said to the guys 'if we are going to lose we are going to lose our way' 

That’s alright then Russ.. Carry on!

Nothing wrong with that providing there isn't another way to play that will win.

HT:

Martin will look at our high possession.
We've had just fewer shots, the same on target, and we have missed a couple of very good chances.

We were already under pressure as our temp and transation were not up to PL standard. Shooting ourselves in the foot on multiple occassions cost us.

Ramsdale's long kicks give away control.

KWP is still better on the right. Both fullbacks give us some moments of happiness, as it looks as though we'll get an attack. Howver, neither was great at adding to our controlled passing through the midfield, in the way we used inverted fullbacks last season. Suga's cross to AA was our best chance though.

THB is a better player than this. A couple of odd wobbles of late. Bedders and Ramsdale lpaired up well.

Our midfield offered very little in terms of transition. Aribo a bit more physically, and Downes doing a lot of lifting for all three, and also ran through. Smallbone is having one of those games where he's not able to add anything. He's not linking up with anyone, not being pushed forwards either. Stephens in the side often means he gets bypassed too. His bodyshape makes him look a bit slower than he actually is. But has been caught out more than once.

AA has had chances. He suffered when not scorign early on in his last PL season. Clearly feels some pressure on him.

BBD hasn't done much yet. Wayward shooting.

OK I'm gonna try and find some positives here...

We have actually created some chances, unlike last week. With better finishing we could well have scored a couple, so I'm not feeling quite as hopeless about our attacking play than some are. 

Aribo hasn't been *that* bad. A lot of our good stuff going forward has gone through him on the left.

If we could just stop gifting the ball to Brentford by fannying about with it, things wouldn't be looking so bad.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic