Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Too many holes in our defence, with centre backs doing man for man jobs miles up the pitch, and Smallbone and Aribo being too slow to cover. You really can't have those two together in a midfield three in the Premier League. Smallbone, in particular is too slow and weak. 

And that's ignoring the times we just pass it to the other team.

How the fuck neither Armstrong nor Stephens scored is a mystery.

Get Lezza on for Bonio and I would also consider putting Dibbling on for Arma and have him play off BBD. I think BBD has done well. I really hope we don't wait until 65 minutes, because that will be too late. Lallana, Archer and Fernanj for later.

The cocommentator on my stream is a proper bellend, too.

• Like 1

Would like to see Fernandes and Dibling on. Maybe play Dibling instead of Adarma ? Not sure what formation but we have to accommodate our better players.

Smallbone and AA just aren't up to it at this level unfortunately

• Like 3

I mean, sometimes it seems our players aren't cut out for intricate passing and turning in defensive areas. Almost as if we need to mix it up and be free to play more directly or hit it out in certain situations.

Sloppy.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

"It will bring more positive moments than negatives" Russell Martin said. 

3 games in, heading for zero points and 2 goals directly caused by the way we play. 

And no goals scored.

• Like 1

Shambles. Defensively poor and offered very little going forward. When we did get a chance, Armstrong wasn't sharp enough.

Aribo and Smallbone off, game has passed them by.

We look a long way off a competitive premier league team right now.

Just now, saintant said:

Well I agree but even more important than that is to pick your best players with no sentiment or loyalty like all good managers do.

Agreed this is half the problem too! Stephens & smallbone should be nowhere near starting and AA isn't a premier league striker 

Smallbone and Aribo offering little, if anything.

BBD strikes me as a player that can't break through a defensive line but is great on the counter running at players or playing a team with a high line. That ain't Brentford.

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Shambles. Defensively poor and offered very little going forward. When we did get a chance, Armstrong wasn't sharp enough.

Aribo and Smallbone off, game has passed them by.

We look a long way off a competitive premier league team right now.

Defensively poor, but made much worse by a nonexistent powderpuff midfield 

Russell says this system will be frustrating at times but we'll see more of the good than the bad. So far, we've only seen the bad.

We'll probably scrape a win eventually and Russell will claim he's been vindicated.

The reality is, this way of playing is fundamentally flawed. It won't work at this level. He either shows some pragmatism or his days should be numbered. Can't afford a stubborn manager in a relegation fight.

• Like 3

Just now, sfc4prem said:

BBD strikes me as a player that can't break through a defensive line but is great on the counter running at players or playing a team with a high line. That ain't Brentford.

He's a battering ram, nothing more nothing less.

Just now, beatlesaint said:

He’ll take Suga off, move KWP to right back and slot his bestie into left back, fuck knows who he brings on but that’s what he’ll do in defence.

If he does that, he's a mentalist.

We went all through the emotion of a play off win to get promoted, then to play the most negative football when we get there. No point in us getting that promotion if we are going to play like this every season. I would honestly sack Martin now, his loyalty and stubborness will see us relegated long before the end of the season. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Right now we got the relegation win double of gifting goals to our opponents and being too shit up front to take the few chance we create for ourselves. Only ending one way if we don’t fucking change something. And quickly.

• Like 1

This is not as bad as everyone is saying. The pairing of Aribo and small bone is the glaring issue, the failure to keep the ball moving through midfield means it’s coming back over and over again into the danger areas, it’s also why we end up horseshoe passing so often as they just aren’t creative enough midfield players at this level and Too static.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Russell says this system will be frustrating at times but we'll see more of the good than the bad. So far, we've only seen the bad.

We'll probably scrape a win eventually and Russell will claim he's been vindicated.

The reality is, this way of playing is fundamentally flawed. It won't work at this level. He either shows some pragmatism or his days should be numbered. Can't afford a stubborn manager in a relegation fight.

on this path, we will finish bottom and Martin will do well to surpass Nathan Jones' Premier League record

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Another one down to the manager I’m afraid. Fucking madness.

Yeah, he set up and watched last week's shambles then thought it would be smart to hit the repeat button.

• Like 1

If Armstrong wants to play as a striker he needs to score chances like that. Simple as. Otherwise we will be reliant this season on young Archer, crock Stewart or BBD unless Onuachu stays and comes back into favour. 🤣

This is poor. I don't like 3cbs and I don't like fannying around with the ball in defence. 

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He won’t change the style.  He’s like a noose around our necks.

Is he in denial? everyone in the country can see our players aren't good enough to play it out from the back except him!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic