Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

So, a bit of a selection headache all of a sudden....?

I think this is possibly our best 11 on paper, but not sure Russ is quite ready to ring the changes this much...?

Ramsdale

Suga - THB - Bednarek - KWP

Downes - Big Les

Dibling - Fernandes - AA / BBD

Archer

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

I think Dibling is a perfect sub at this stage, teams don't know much about him and his running power as a sub will be beneficial and may well catch teams by surprise. 

Lesley gave me Wanyama vibes, potential to start him alongside Downes for me. Drop Aribo and play Fernandes for sure, who is just on a different planet.

• Like 2

Assuming Ramsdale passes his medical, I think our current best XI is:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes
AA         Archer       BBD

Assuming Martin wants to play his favoured 433 at some point. Not sure whether it would be Downes or Ugochukwu playing DM, but personally I'd like to see Big Les running into the box to get onto some crosses. I hope that this is the side we are building towards, with Bednarek in for ABK if he goes. I think Dibling, SAA and Lallana will all be best utilised as subs to come on when we need a goal for now, with some starts if their form demands it.

I'm assuming the lineup vs Brentford will be fairly similar to Forest. I'm expecting a far bigger change for the Utd game after the international break. 

1 minute ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes

Assuming Martin wants to play his favoured 433 at some point. Not sure whether it would be Downes or Ugochukwu playing DM, but personally I'd like to see Big Les running into the box to get onto some crosses. I hope that this is the side we are building towards, with Bednarek in for ABK if he goes. I think Dibling, SAA and Lallana will all be best utilised as subs to come on when we need a goal for now, with some starts if their form demands it.

I'm assuming the lineup vs Brentford will be fairly similar to Forest. I'm expecting a far bigger change for the Utd game after the international break. 

I think you could quite comfortably play Les and Downes together, with Fernandes in front in an Aribo/Stu Armstrong type role. Would make us immediately stronger. That midfield above works for me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes

This is exactly what I'd play, but I expect it'll be Smallbone in for Ugochukwu and Bednarek for ABK.

I think Dibling off the bench with 20/25 left to give the defenders something new to deal with sounds like a good move to me.

Hopefully AA and BBD work better with a striker to play off, who looked clinical when given the chances... just hope we can create some for him!

6 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes

The sooner that midfield is employed, the better off we will be.   Is there any chance of ABK staying and starting?    If he could recapture the form and attitude of his first 10 Prem appearances he strengthens the side.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes

If jwp did come back you could have 

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes/big les
     Big Les/jwp    Fernandes

Would be a nice variation. 

KWP TO START!!!!!

That's the one I want to see as it means another 6 months at least with the wee fella as the window will be closed by then. Well for English/big European clubs, just a few more around the world we can worry about.

• Like 3

No selection headache for me. Hopefully we ditch the 5 at the back but I know he won't change his midfield shape, so i'd go; 

---------Ramsdale

Suga----THB---ABK---KWP

----------Downes

------Fernandes---Dibling

AA--------Archer--------BBD

Very tough leaving SAA out to be honest. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Ramsdale
Suga   THB   ABK   KWP
             Downes
     Big Les    Fernandes

This is the team I'd pick going forwards (Bednarek in for ABK if he goes and a new forward in for AA) 

Edited by Harry_SFC

27 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Please stop the shoe-horning / 3 at the back and 2 wide forwards nonsense 

No comments on last night's win, the excellent performances by some of the new players or the ridiculous signing of Ramsdale then Batman?

Just wake up and carry on moaning.

Your relentless negative consistency is something else.

• Like 1

Can't see Martin dropping Stephens/the 3 centre-back system given how physical Brentford are and their set-piece strength. 

Big Les should come in for Smallbone and Archer deserves to start ahead one of the front two. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see too much in the way of change. 

Surely Ramsdale will go straight in as no.1? Can’t see him agreeing to come here to get splinters.

Got to agree with all those calling for a back 4 with Stephens on the bench. Not sure RM will be quite so brave.

A midfield that includes the talents of Downes, Fernandes and Big Les will be one to behold…please make it be.

The front three almost picks itself, but does present a bit of a dilemma. Do you start Dibling and go for the jugular or wait until later when defenders legs maybe tired? If RM plays a front three it will likely be BBD, Archer and AA meaning the two on the outside get isolated as we’ve seen, so I’d drop either AA or Archer to the bench (matters not who…they’re very similar) bring the strikers in more central and play Dibling across the width of the park giving him the freedom to unlock defences and supply the front two.

Ramsdale

Suga.  THB.  ABK.  KWP.

Downes. Big Les.  Fernandes.

Dibling

Archer.  BBD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

No comments on last night's win, the excellent performances by some of the new players or the ridiculous signing of Ramsdale then Batman?

Just wake up and carry on moaning.

Your relentless negative consistency is something else.

Obviously never read the match thread then 

Similar to Southgate RM seems pretty loyal. A nice trait but annoying for expecting an exciting team selection. He must start Fernandes and Archer. Would also want Les. Don’t think he will start Dibling

12 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Why all the hate for Stephens?

THB was atrocious on Saturday, if we do drop one of the centre backs he'd be on the bench for me.

Alfie House made this same comment on the Total Saints Podcast. Don’t be surprised to see THB drop out if we do go to a 4. 

The Brentford fan they had on also said that Palace played a back 3/5 and struggled, so hopefully we will play a 4. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I know I'm getting old and senile but I've not seen one post on this thread directing hatred at Stephens...? 

Not literally, just in a footballing sense. I wouldn't drop him at the moment personally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Can't see Martin dropping Stephens/the 3 centre-back system given how physical Brentford are and their set-piece strength. 

Big Les should come in for Smallbone and Archer deserves to start ahead one of the front two. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see too much in the way of change. 

If we started Big Les alongside Flynn then he could deputise for Stephens as our third big lad to deal with set pieces.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

THB was atrocious on Saturday, if we do drop one of the centre backs he'd be on the bench for me.

It's not hate, but he simply isn't good enough at Premiership level and never has been, yet for some unfathomable reason, has been made club captain and therefore has to be in every starting line-up, in any conceivable position, ahead of better players even if it unbalances the side. That's why.

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 1

--------- Ramsdale--------

Suga---THB--Janny B--Taylor

-----Downsey---Smallbone------

------------Fernanj---------

Arma -----Archer------KWP

Subs:

Macca, President Bree, Capn Jack, Big Les, Aribo, Lallana, Officer Dibbles, Samamamaoyow, BBD

Jack Stephen's biggest fault and he's been like it for years, he ball watches and loses the important player. He also makes stupid pass choices and drops us in it.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Because he's not very good. Worse than that, he's a liability who slows everything down, is too slow in body and mind and often gets caught ball watching. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, derry said:

Jack Stephen's biggest fault and he's been like it for years, he ball watches and loses the important player. He also makes stupid pass choices and drops us in it.

I would agree with that, he's always been a ball watcher and more of what I'd call a last ditch defender - normally because he's having to react after a player has got in front of him. Bednarek at PL level is somewhat similar, he does like to step out though and take a risk, Champ level not too dangerous but at this level it can be a killer - he tried that against Forest too and Elanga left him for dead. 

THB is more proactive in how he defends, although he had a pretty woeful day last weekend. (distribution wise he was awful)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I would agree with that, he's always been a ball watcher and more of what I'd call a last ditch defender - normally because he's having to react after a player has got in front of him. Bednarek at PL level is somewhat similar, he does like to step out though and take a risk, Champ level not too dangerous but at this level it can be a killer - he tried that against Forest too and Elanga left him for dead. 

THB is more proactive in how he defends, although he had a pretty woeful day last weekend. (distribution wise he was awful)

I wonder if THB had something wrong with him. Sleepless nights perhaps.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dibling was the best player on the pitch last night for me. I think he's ready to start.

Agree, but I would imagine he'll be too knackered to start on Saturday...?

• Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

Agree, but I would imagine he'll be too knackered to start on Saturday...?

Yeah he was absolutley blowing out of his arse, same with SAA.

Can't overplay these guys just yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benjii said:

--------- Ramsdale--------

Suga---THB--Janny B--Taylor

-----Downsey---Smallbone------

------------Fernanj---------

Arma -----Archer------KWP

Subs:

Macca, President Bree, Capn Jack, Big Les, Aribo, Lallana, Officer Dibbles, Samamamaoyow, BBD

👀 🤔

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, trousers said:

So, a bit of a selection headache all of a sudden....?

Ramsdale

Suga - THB - Bednarek - KWP/ Taylor

Smallbone - Downes - Fernandes 

AA  -  Archer   -  BBD

My hunch is that  Martin will start Fernandes & Arnold but not Dibling or Ugochukwu who will be first and second subs. Sam A-A is close to displacing AA but not just yet.

We must be prepared also for the last minute departure of KWP in which case Taylor will get the nod

Edited by Charlie Wayman

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah he was absolutley blowing out of his arse, same with SAA.

Can't overplay these guys just yet.

Yeah i've got no issue with them coming on for half an hour for a while, if they start they'll likely need to be replaced at half time to protect them from burnout. 

• Like 1

No Ivan Toney.

Would be surprised if there are many changes.

Would guess he would only want to introduce one of Fernades / Lesley at this stage - would be surprised to see both start . Personally I would keep Smallbone in, but this RM may keep Aribo.

The interesting thing will be how he freshens up the forward line, change of personnel, formation or both? Archer clearly made a strong bid scoring two for a team not scoring.

Listened to Adam Blackmore and Jo Tessems podcast - neither thought Dibling, SAA or Lesley are ready to start in prem.

If I was Brentford after watching Saints v forest I might be tempted to play with a keeper, 2 full backs, 1 CB (he can chat to the keeper if he gets bored and lonely)  4 MF’s and 3 attackers.

The ball is not going anywhere near the penalty spot is it so just push up. The not so secret plan is to Wait for the inevitable passing around the six yard box fuck up and take it from there.  😂🥳

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Ramsdale 

Sugawara THB Bedders Kwp

Downes Big Les

Dibling Fernandes BBD

Archer

Agreed. No point at all in playing a back 3/5 if we’re going to have BBD and Arma on the touchlines getting in the way. Russ needs to decide if it’s going to be Archer or BDD leading the line up top and get some support around them 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic