Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Half time. 

Armstrong getting very little service but generally looking utterly ineffective down the middle, yet again. A spectator, barely touched the ball. I wonder how many times they need to see it before they finally accept he can't effect the game as a no. 9 against any half-decent opposition. 

Pretty weak for the goal. Macca missed the cross then we got beaten to two headers. THB should have done better. 

Great delivery from Taylor for the equalizer; good header from THB. 

Lallana showing a few little flashes of quality, decent feet and one of the few looking for a forward pass. Wood having a physical battle with Beto and doing OK, but looks clumsy. Bree giving the ball away a fair bit under little pressure. Fraser looking lively when he gets the ball but lacking quality with his delivery. 

Generally lots of the usual sideways and backwards possession with little point to it. Very little real attacking threat from open play. 

Overall, seen worse but pretty damn average all round. 

• Like 2

That was a typical half from a RM team - there is zero urgency to get the ball forward quickly. Wood is an accident waiting to happen. Cornet did ok in flashes. Lallana still class. Big Les having a decent game. We have little threat up front.

• Like 2

So I was shopping in Staines the other day and a bloke walks up to me and says "You're in Staines." I said "I know I'm in Staines mate, I come here all the time." He says "No, urine stains" and pointed to my jeans. I'd pissed myself.

I thought of that joke whilst being bored during large swathes of that first half.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

No. Just not premiership level. Was excellent for us last year but lacks the pace to succeed at this level.

Lacks pace, any ability to hold the ball up, doesn't win headers, can't seem to convert chances against better opposition. Not sure why we keep persevering with someone who is never ever going to be a premier league player.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Concentration on possession means not giving the ball away which means not creating goal opportunities.

Absolutely. But it doesn’t even seem that we sacrifice creativity for solidity. We have long periods of possession but get turned over multiple times every half and concede chance after chance to the opposition. So I wouldn’t say it’s worth it, or working. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Sky Sports giving us 77% possession and zero 'clear cut chances'. Bit of an odd stat, given we've scored, but quite representative of the feel of it generally. 

Why's that an odd stat? What if we'd scored from the half way line? A clear cut chance is a really easy one to score. 

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Sky Sports giving us 77% possession and zero 'clear cut chances'. Bit of an odd stat, given we've scored, but quite representative of the feel of it generally. 

An unmarked free header from a set piece doesn't qualify as a 'clear cut' chance? 

How strange.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic