Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, Greedyfly said:

Yep I have no idea what's going on with this line up either unless only to severe to prove once again that AA can't play as a number 9.

ABK should have started as should Stewart if actually fit. 

I mean how many times does RM need to watch AA to realise he cannot play the number nine role.

24 minutes ago, ant said:

You can say all you want about concentrating on the league, but they've got until Saturday before we play next. 

Given the number of new players in our league starting lineup, wouldn't it make more sense to put out a team closer to that, in order to give them bonus time to gel?

This seems the worst of both worlds, i.e. the likes of SAA are missing valuable game time whilst we're not learning anything of tangible value for the rest of the season.

Couldn't agree more. 

It's Tuesday night, they have the best part of 5 days to recover. And we all know the 1st team need to sort the results out; this was a free hit to build some confidence 

Instead, we have Nathan Wood...

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Has there ever been a case of ‘player gets infinitely better when not in the team’ than TP and ABK.

Players don't go from Germany World Cup squad to shit in just over a season normally. But perhaps ABK is the exception to the rule.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No one seriously thinks wood and Edwards are good enough to play in the prem. 

Signed as back ups that won't go anywhere if we go down. At least Ronnie has decent potential, I'm just not sure about Wood. I gauge player signings on what fans think when they leave to join us. Sporting fans were gutted when we signed Fernandes, that suggests we got a good player. Swansea fans were delighted when they got money for Wood so...

Has there ever been a case of ‘player gets infinitely better when not in the team’ than TP and ABK.

Anyone outside a team that can't score and concedes a hatful has to be on a winner. Looking on with a smirk while coining it too. 😋

I'm not being funny, how many of you guys complaining are watching the players train day in, day out? 

I can imagine Onuachu is not the best player for Martin's system, as I'm sure most of you would agree. Unless you're proposing we change our playing mentality and tactics to cater for a striker who's never shown he can do anything in the English League. 

As said previously, ABK's attitude was awful when with us before and he had burnt his bridges. I'm not aware if whether those bridges have been mended, but I'm guessing not.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Players don't go from Germany World Cup squad to shit in just over a season normally. But perhaps ABK is the exception to the rule.

Don’t think it’s a case of ability (though think his ability is being somewhat exaggerated at the moment, bearing in mind what’s happening on the pitch), more attitude and application.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Signed as back ups that won't go anywhere if we go down. At least Ronnie has decent potential, I'm just not sure about Wood. I gauge player signings on what fans think when they leave to join us. Sporting fans were gutted when we signed Fernandes, that suggests we got a good player. Swansea fans were delighted when they got money for Wood so...

Swansea fans were delighted when Martin left too!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Don’t think it’s a case of ability (though think his ability is being somewhat exaggerated at the moment, bearing in mind what’s happening on the pitch), more attitude and application.

Well he played in the last round so what harm would there have been giving him a chance a half in this game to see if he's up to it? If he's better than our other cb options then he should play. 

Fair point.

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

I'm not being funny, how many of you guys complaining are watching the players train day in, day out? 

I can imagine Onuachu is not the best player for Martin's system, as I'm sure most of you would agree. Unless you're proposing we change our playing mentality and tactics to cater for a striker who's never shown he can do anything in the English League. 

Not counting Onuacho, but I would have liked to have seen ABK be brought back in. Potentially the guy is going to be just training until January. At the very least we should be using these games to get him fit and show clubs that he can still play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Well he played in the last round so what harm would there have been giving him a chance a half in this game to see if he's up to it? If he's better than our other cb options then he should play. 

He played to demonstrate he was fit to buying teams. Didn’t work out.

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Not when he was part of the clique the year we went down and he doesn’t want to be here.

That's all speculation. A top man manager would get the player to understand he's here until January and if he performs well until then he can go to a top team for big money. 

1 minute ago, washsaint said:

REckon that's a line up screaming 'sack me'.  How else can get Wood get a start  and such a mediocre front line.  Surely to god, TP, ABK and SAA were worth a start ahead of this motley crew who are garbage.

Would anyone actually blame him? Getting a multi million pound pay out for a job that the customers spend every game calling you every name under the sun?

4 minutes ago, washsaint said:

REckon that's a line up screaming 'sack me'.  How else can get Wood get a start  and such a mediocre front line.  Surely to god, TP, ABK and SAA were worth a start ahead of this motley crew who are garbage.

Not sure I see that. He's got a lot of players to keep ticking over. I suspect ABK and TP omissions are political decisions, and Wood over Edwards is probably cos he's played at a higher level. You could make a case for any 2 out of SAA, Cornet and Fraser.  

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic