Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

On 29/08/2024 at 23:02, S-Clarke said:

Under the fake guise that it's to aid with fixture congestion.

The same fixture congestion that isn't even a debate when these clubs fuck off to Australia for friendlies the week after the season has finished.

Surely by assuring them of an easy tie, it is hindering them with fixture congestion as they are more certain to go through and have to play yet another game? There is no way this is anything to do with fixtures and absolutely certain that it is about helping them to WIN.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the general view on team selection?

It's going to be hard to beat Derby's record low points the way the team is performing in the Prem and with the absolute need for a result against Ipswich next weekend, perhaps a Line Up as follows, as it is unlikley the team is not going to make any headway in either of the Cup Competitions this season (please prove me wrong!!!!):

1. Macca               
2 KWP                 
3 Taylor                
4. Ugochukwu
5. Wood                
6. Edwards.
7. Amo Ameyaw    
8. Smallbone          
9. Tall Paul             
10. Aribo                  
11. Cornet         

A reasonably good top half Championship team line up????      

Subs
Lumley/Bree/Manning/Bell Kotchup/Arma/Dibling/Stewart/Lallana/Fraser

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Whats the general view on team selection?

It's going to be hard to beat Derby's record low points the way the team is performing in the Prem and with the absolute need for a result against Ipswich next weekend, perhaps a Line Up as follows, as it is unlikley the team is not going to make any headway in either of the Cup Competitions this season (please prove me wrong!!!!):

1. Macca               
2 KWP                 
3 Taylor                
4. Ugochukwu
5. Wood                
6. Edwards.
7. Amo Ameyaw    
8. Smallbone          
9. Tall Paul             
10. Aribo                  
11. Cornet         

A reasonably good top half Championship team line up????      

Subs
Lumley/Bree/Manning/Bell Kotchup/Arma/Dibling/Stewart/Lallana/Fraser

I don't think anyone who Martin plans to play against Ipswich will feature in this game. Definitely Wood and Edwards at the back., Bree and Manning or Taylor, Smallbone, Aribo probably SAA. Who knows up front, think a start for Stewart is likely. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Tuesday 1945
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Not the time to be giving the 2nd XI game time, the first choice line up need as much time as possible to gel together. Same formation as yesterday, THB for JS (forced on us but logical anyway) RS if he can play 90mins or BBD replace CA as central striker, Fraser wide left.

It's only the cup but if we could get any sort of win there against the only team currently below us, that could be a huge psychological blow for them as well as a boost for us.

• Like 5

If we are going to play Ross Stewart can we learn how to cross the ball into the box.

There was an opportunity yesterday when Fraser had the ball on the left wing pretty much level with the penalty spot.

Stewart was in the box along with Cornet behind him with one or two others just arriving.

Despite this opportunity about four or five passes later the ball was back at the feet of Ramsdale.

If we were winning you could argue good game management but we were 2-0 down ffs 

Edited by northam soul
  • Like 7

If it goes to pens can we not have Archer on the pitch please. 😁 

Football Fail GIF by DAZN Belgium

But seriously my team is Alex, Bree, Ronnie, ABK, Taylor, Les, Fernandes, Will, AA, Archer, BBD. A mix of squad players, new players that still need to be bedded in and players that need to find form.

-----------Rambo----------

Suga----ABK---Edwards---Taylor

-------Lez-----BillyBone-------

Cornet-------Aribo------Fraser

--‐-----------BBD-------------

Needs to be a half decent team. We need to stop losing and they will presumably rotate, so we should have a chance.

Stewart to hopefully be good for another 40 mins or so off the bench.

If like to see Fernandes given some time in one of the deeper midfield roles too.

Cornet and Fraser competing for a start against Ipswich. ABK chance to prove readiness for Prem team as well.

• Like 1

Pretty sure whatever we want, RM will go second string. Assuming a back 4 I think he’ll pick

McCarthy

Bree ? Edwards ?

Smallbone ? Aribo

SAA ? ArmA

His decisions will be THB or ABK at cb, Manning, Taylor or Larios at lb, Lallana or Lesley in midfield and any one of Stewart, Cornet, Fraser, Tall Paul, BBD or Archer in the front 3 although Im guessing Stewart will be a sub and get another 30 minutes. 
Whoever doesn’t feature will be in the picture for next Saturday.

I'd go strong, but give opportuinty to give those who haven't previously had a sniff an chance to impress, whilst trying players in a slightly different position (i.e archer Left wing)

Ramsdale

Suga 

ABK 

THB

Taylor 

Downes 

Les 

Fernandes

Cornet

Tall Paul

Archer 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'd go strong, but give opportuinty to give those who haven't previously had a sniff an chance to impress, whilst trying players in a slightly different position (i.e archer Left wing)

Ramsdale

Suga 

ABK 

THB

Taylor 

Downes 

Les 

Fernandes

Cornet

Tall Paul

Archer 

If he doesn't pick that back 5 then Lucy needs to withdraw privileges for the week.

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

However, if we appeal it then it'll get delayed till the weekend...

An appeal would be senseless. They VAR-checked it at the time and they'll back up the ref for dangerous play.

But I guess then he misses 3 PL matches?

Edited by Bakovnetski

Play the same team in the same formation, swapping in THB for the suspended Stephens if ABK is still persona non grata. Leave everything else the same. 

We need to find a consistent first team and shape and they need to learn how to play together and win together. We’ll never do that if we’re chopping and changing from match to match. Let’s see if the same team can build on what they did for the first 35 mins on Saturday, by converting chances, cutting out defensive mistakes and doing it for 90 mins. 

This is a great opportunity to play without the pressure of PL points at stake and get the feeling back of winning against PL-level opposition. We’re not in a position to piss that away by putting out an experimental or reserve team. We need to go into the Ipswich game with some confidence off the back of a win, not feeling even lower after another demoralising defeat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bakovnetski said:

An appeal would be senseless. They VAR-checked it at the time and they'll back up the ref for dangerous play.

But I guess then he misses 3 PL matches?

Just the two PL matches. The FA website says that his suspension ends 30th September which is the Bournemouth game.

More’s the pity.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

51 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

Saturdays line up with ABK in for stephens

I've given it some thought and won't be too fussed if Martin just throws out a weakened team, the football league themselves have completely devalued the competition allowing for seeding in the draw under the guise of European fixture congestion but really just helped them and the tv companies achieve their aim of big clubs reaching latter stages ensuring viewing figures / advertising revenue

We're just making up the numbers in this charade. 

If it was against almost anyone else I'd go for a weakened team, but we cannot afford to give Everton a confidence boost by letting them tonk us. Think we should give Stewart a go up front and ABK at CB, otherwise the team that started Saturday (but I suspect McCarthy will get a go in goal as it's the cup). I would like to see Lallana and Tyler playing together, I have visions of Bally and Steve Williams, albeit a bit further forward.

ONUACHU

FRASER           DIBLING          CORNET

UGOCHUKWU    DOWNES

TAYLOR    ABK         THB        BREE

RAMSDALE

Onuachu brace, cruising at 60mins, sub off Downes & Dibbers, Big Les injured, ABK red card, lose 3 -2 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Just the two PL matches. The FA website says that his suspension ends 30th September which is the Bournemouth game.

More’s the pity.

He's also under investigation for using foul and abusive language to the referee so they'll slap an extra game on I reckon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Am guessing we will not score a goal in this game.

Everton 2-0

It's got so bad upfront I'm not even worried about the defence.

Based on Evertons last few games, we'd probably be best off to give them a 2-0 head start.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic