Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

The person most delighted with that result is Sean Dyche. Actively tried to lose it and we still pissed about for 90 minutes. When he took of Beto it was like an open invitation and we still didn’t bother 😂

Just now, whelk said:

There was a time that I thought I’d go to my grave never witnessing a win at Everton. Terrible ground for us but not so bad recently

Saintsy to finally be able to do well at a ground that's being torn down at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’d be crap. Who’d care about winning a cup when the best team in it was someone like West Ham or Brighton.

We’re well rid of extra time, especially for midweek games. Who wants a game like that dragging on until 2230, followed by a traffic jam and a four hour drive?

Yeah you're right. I remember how crap it was winning at Wembley in the JPT. Such an awful, boring day. 

• Like 2

Basking in the warmth of a win.

Everton, no doubt driven by their fans, pushed up into prime RussBall territory more and more. It was good to see some passes ping around. Bree and Les often there to pick up passes, with Downes hard work freeing Aribo up a bit later on too.

Both Cornet and Dibling given freedom to be direct. BBD had to do a fair bit of work to get into similar positions.

AA didn't get much, but not for lack of effort or trying different things. We need a focal point for him to thrive off of, and a bit of space to pass through. Neither there for quite a bit of the game.

Shout out for Lallana first half who steadied us and got us moving.

• Like 2

Clesrly we were the better, more composed team although Everton arguably had more clear cut chances.

We are just lacking the final ball often, but some promising signs: Cornet looked direct and powerful in his first proper game for ages and Fernandes and Dibling again showed their quality.

Best player on the pitch was Lallana by a mile though - so classy, just a shame he isnt a few years younger! Wonder if he might get a start vs Ipswich although doesn't have the legs to cover the ground Fernandes does?

Really need Archer to come good...

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Clesrly we were the better, more composed team although Everton arguably had more clear cut chances.

We are just lacking the final ball often, but some promising signs: Cornet looked direct and powerful in his first proper game for ages and Fernandes and Dibling again showed their quality.

Best player on the pitch was Lallana by a mile though - so classy, just a shame he isnt a few years younger! Wonder if he might get a start vs Ipswich although doesn't have the legs to cover the ground Fernandes does?

Could we not play Downes, Fernandes and Lallana against Ipswich? 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah you're right. I remember how crap it was winning at Wembley in the JPT. Such an awful, boring day. 

We played in that competition twice and it was our first trip to the new Wembley. Would you care about it if you were in it every year? Do you even remember us playing in it the second League 1 season?

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Could we not play Downes, Fernandes and Lallana against Ipswich? 

I'd want Les in there. Although seeing as we don't have much in attack we could just play all our midfielders and use someone a as a false 9!

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We played in that competition twice and it was our first trip to the new Wembley. Would you care about it if you were in it every year? Do you even remember us playing in it the second League 1 season?

Of course not. But if we won it again I would. 

If we won the league cup I'd certainly remember it. Your school of logic means that if we won the FA cup and all the top 6 got knocked out by other clubs, it wouldn't be worth getting excited about.

Edited by Saint_clark

15 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Quite a controlled game from Saints but hardly ever looked dangerous despite all the possession. Need to find some way of creating decent chances.

This type of football is not conducive to creating many chances. It's more reliant on flashes of individual brilliance from say Dibling, a set piece or a defensive error. 

• Like 1

Good win that, and we played some nice football. Was particularly impressed with Bree. Hopefully that gives us confidence going into the Ipswich game. We do have some talented players in the squad. Really hope it clicks on saturday.

• Like 3

Just now, LeG said:

Good win that, and we played some nice football. Was particularly impressed with Bree. Hopefully that gives us confidence going into the Ipswich game. We do have some talented players in the squad. Really hope it clicks on saturday.

On paper we have a great keeper, a reasonable defence, a decent midfield but a really poor forward line (Dibling being the exception). Personally I would give BBD a go up top. Looks poor out wide but could cause a few problems down the middle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Of course not. But if we won it again I would. 

If we won the league cup I'd certainly win it. Your school of logic means that if we won the FA cup and all the top 6 got knocked out by other clubs, it wouldn't be worth getting excited about.

There’s always an element of luck to any cup draw, we got to Cardiff largely thanks to being drawn at home to lower league clubs in every round (apart from Spurs but they were the worst of the lot). There’s a whole world of difference between that and the best teams just never being in it from the start.

Only caught the second half. Looked like even though we controlled possession we couldn't really be bothered either way if we went through or not. Slow pace back passes in our third at the end (there must be a stat that shows where our possession is - my bet is 70% in our own defensive third of the pitch).

Two sides clearly lacking in confidence and goals. We looked better than Everton. Happy with the win. Penalties were great. Six goalscorers will give each of them confidence. McCarthy big save to keep it 1-1 and then winning save. 

Well done Saints. Home draw please - I don't mind who the opposition is.

6 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

That was fucking awful. If our board has any bollocks they'll give RM the boot in the morning. 

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Not a horrendous performance.

Ugochuckwu has got to be a bit less ploddy. Lacked the movement into space,  needs a bit more time to I bed in.

The passes across the back line got too slow at points. Just inviting the opposition to close too much.

Happy the oversize squads get game time again in the next round.

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

On paper we have a great keeper, a reasonable defence, a decent midfield but a really poor forward line (Dibling being the exception). Personally I would give BBD a go up top. Looks poor out wide but could cause a few problems down the middle. 

i read somewhere that he doesn’t play CF

• Haha 6

Still think there’s a decent side in our squad but it’s frustrating to watch Russ take so long to figure out who should and shouldn’t be in it, and that it’s not a cardinal sin to go long and wide when we’re penned in.

Jack’s a great guy but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we looked tighter and more assured without him back there. Dropping THB and keeping him in was ridiculous.

It was nice to have some attacking width and pace with Cornet and Fraser, but BBD needs to either be more central or on the bench.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Anyone else think that Dibling was fouled in the box in the last minute? Looked a penalty to me but the ref bottled it. Haven't seen a replay.

Surprised more wasn't made of it. Certainly didn't look like Young got the ball despite claiming he did. 

• Like 2