Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Interesting that Martin mentioned the possibility of losing his job tonight. I reckon he's aware of some of the pressure. 

He said it right at the end of the press conference on Saturday as well. Was finishing an answer about what might happen to the squad in January, and signed off with "If I stay in the job that long", without a smile. 

Whether someone's said something to him, or he's just really feeling it, underneath all the bluster he's obviously highly conscious of that risk. 

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wood was 6/10 against Cardiff and one of the home friendlies he was excellent.

Well that most certainly was neither Lazio nor Getafe as I attended both and it was readily apparent that he might well not even be semi-pro/pub-league standard (take your pick). Anyone who cannot see his complete lack of ability quite frankly presumably doesn't even know a football is square. (sic).

Nice to win. On to Ipswich was a bit of anticipation and excitement now. Hope that as the team becomes a bit more settled and used to each other and some things are tweaked we will start to be competitive.

22 minutes ago, Football Special said:

I'd agree with most of that. Lallana can offer us something like Christian Eriksson for Man Utd, help control the game and lead theyounger players, fitness will be an issue.

In all the minutes he's played so far I dont think I've seen Lallana lose the ball or mis-place a pass to the opposition once. I like the fact he's pointing to where players should be and encouraging everyone. 

I was very meh when he came back mainly due to the way he left but fair play to him, hes been incredible and a future coach/manager in the making I would think.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Too many initials 😂 I need more coffee 

Sorry! 
1. Les - Les Dawson. Rotund and usefully inappropriate .. 

2. Mateus : Mateus Rose, chilled. 
3. Tyler: Tyler Swift performs well on big stages) 
4. THB : Thierry Henry’s Brother ( on loan from Goztepe)

5. Alex - Alex Stepney who could not save a shot at 12 mph from 49 yards out in 1976. 
6. BBD : Big Bollox Dave - security detail 

7. RF- unofficial Russian media outlet and very left wing. 
8. MC - he’s a pretty famous veteran rapper we signed two windows back where were you in the 80’s and 90’s? 
9. AA: takes 30 -60 minutes on average to arrive in the area. 
10. AR : Sound saints fans make when wishing to imitate Hampshire farmers with whom they have no connection bar that one ancient song about strawberry growers. 
12. KWP : big name financial accountancy group lots of money being discussed for Saints. 
14. CT: scans the pitch looking for danger. Only currently used in emergency though - or cup games. 
HTH ( Harry The Horse - Harry the Dogs nephew now leading saints yoof)

😇😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

We might have shot ourselves in the foot here. The Everton fans were not impressed with Dyches subs and booed them. That's normally a signal that the managers time is nearly done.

They'll fire him, get Moyes in and turn things around. Or something.

Fuck Everton, enjoy the win (draw) 😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

He said it right at the end of the press conference on Saturday as well. Was finishing an answer about what might happen to the squad in January, and signed off with "If I stay in the job that long", without a smile. 

Whether someone's said something to him, or he's just really feeling it, underneath all the bluster he's obviously highly conscious of that risk. 

He claims not to listen to anything but he must be really frustrated the longer it goes on without any points. It's pretty embarrassing and if it ends up being a big failure may make him question his whole philosophy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

fln the passes,imo were passing with no real purpose and it really ticks the (what the fuck button). Theres no sense of urgency to move up the field at pace ,even though we were loosing (yet again). From what i saw last night we came under pressure and started to pass deeper and make hurried passes in very testing situations ,because were not decisive enough to play with  flair of fluidity. Our players seem very one footed, and similarly very blocked in with limited vision.Passing for passing meh, we need progression and creativity ,also some luck but move the ball with purpose. Once we were pressed panic set in and we played deeper to try and make space ............................stop fucking around.

Couldn't agree with this more.  I'm really pleased we squeezed through but yet again I'm wondering what exactly it was that we were trying to do with our extremely slow tempo game.  Shortly before they scored we'd had ~80% possession, most of it in our own half, yet they'd already had 2 or 3 corners (from 20% of the ball).  Two passes after we'd lost possession deep in their half they had a 4th (?) corner - which they scored from. So, although we were dominating the ball it was with no real tempo or threat, and yet they were creating the better chances.  It feels like we've been like this for the 4 league games this season so far and for fair few games last season, albeit against teams without the quality to punish us.

I'd really like RM to explain why we play the game at such a slow tempo - that simply allows the opposition to regain their shape.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

You’d ideally have three threads, one each for the polarised “I’m right your wrong threads / pissing contests” in line with your suggestion, and a third, which would be infinitely longer than the other two, for “supporters” who fundamentally want the team to do well, but at times get anxious, frustrated and occasionally let their emotions run away. 

ps. I’d also be an advocate for a ban on anyone bringing politics, religion or social issues into the conversation on a football thread. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Surely 3 threads? Need one for us fence-sitters who can see both sides of an argument and don't feel the need to "prove" our point of view ad-infinitim...? ;)

It's true what they say about "great minds..." I see... ;) :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quite intrigued how such a clued up and experienced manager who some have suggested CDAJ for saints like Sean Dyche could not work out how to beat us easily by using a high press at selected trigger points. 

Was it because he only used his reserves? Surely tactics are tactics - Everton’s pressing was incoherent and frankly badly trained. THAT to me is a stark reason why they are bottom.

Saints are supposedly an open tactical book - so that makes Sean Dyche some kind of football illiterate. Or maybe we are not so open a book and as easy to unlock after all? 

We just need two other illiterate football managers in our league to be safe. 😂

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good to see most on here are not going overboard with euphoria of a goal and a win. Everton were poor and we were no better to be fair. In fact given the goal scoring chances created from 70% possession it’s still a huge concern how limp we are in attack. Some key observations…

1. Alex did a very good job most of the game. I’m not convinced he made any error with their goal - the area was so crowded.

2. Dibling once again showed what a massive talent he is. Starts every game as a CAM…build the team around him. Be brave.

3. THB took his chance in this game - looked v good for the most part. Nice touch from RM to give him the Captaincy in an “I trust you Son” motivational type action.

4. There’s no point having 3 strikers on the pitch when they get so little sight of the ball. It’s desperately obvious we are in need of a coach who can provide the team with some creative ideas in the final third. Over 90% of the time ball receivers have their backs to goal meaning there’s only one way to pass - backwards or occasionally sideways, unless your name is Lallana or Dibling who can actually turn a player successfully.

Last thought. If nothing else - hopefully - this will give the team a taste of what it’s like to win a game against Prem opposition and be the catalyst for more.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Quite intrigued how such a clued up and experienced manager who some have suggested CDAJ for saints like Sean Dyche could not work out how to beat us easily by using a high press at selected trigger points. 

Was it because he only used his reserves? Surely tactics are tactics - Everton’s pressing was incoherent and frankly badly trained. THAT to me is a stark reason why they are bottom.

Saints are supposedly an open tactical book - so that makes Sean Dyche some kind of football illiterate. Or maybe we are not so open a book and as easy to unlock after all? 

If Dyche and his team are as bad as you portray, how come it wasn't a comfortable win for us...? ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Sorry if said before but with all those excellent penalty takers why could we not find one on Saturday?

We had one - BBD who now has a record of 8 from 8. You would need to have a conversation with RM to find out why he wasn't the nominated penalty taker as opposed to Archer who had never previously taken one.  Alfie House tried to question him on it but he had a hissy fit and came up with a load of nonsense about number of games played.

11 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Sorry if said before but with all those excellent penalty takers why could we not find one on Saturday?

It was just an almighty cock up wasn't it ? Obviously BBD was the go to with 7/7 (now 8/8) but for reasons best known only to himself RM decided to nominate a lad who had never taken one in a competitive match cos he looked good taking them in training.....i mean....come on ffs

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

So at times last night we played some good stuff - however the tempo and passing among defence was ridiculous at times. Is that because we dont have a focal point or outlet?

There were several occasions we had players in space up the left yet went backwards from 30 yards out with it back to McCarthy. Can there be such a thing as too much possession?

Never thought I would say it but missing Che hold up play despite how bad he was at it we did have someone there.

54 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Good to see most on here are not going overboard with euphoria of a goal and a win. Everton were poor and we were no better to be fair. In fact given the goal scoring chances created from 70% possession it’s still a huge concern how limp we are in attack. Some key observations…

1. Alex did a very good job most of the game. I’m not convinced he made any error with their goal - the area was so crowded.

2. Dibling once again showed what a massive talent he is. Starts every game as a CAM…build the team around him. Be brave.

3. THB took his chance in this game - looked v good for the most part. Nice touch from RM to give him the Captaincy in an “I trust you Son” motivational type action.

4. There’s no point having 3 strikers on the pitch when they get so little sight of the ball. It’s desperately obvious we are in need of a coach who can provide the team with some creative ideas in the final third. Over 90% of the time ball receivers have their backs to goal meaning there’s only one way to pass - backwards or occasionally sideways, unless your name is Lallana or Dibling who can actually turn a player successfully.

Last thought. If nothing else - hopefully - this will give the team a taste of what it’s like to win a game against Prem opposition and be the catalyst for more.

Think your point about our attack being limp is accurate. Only Tyler seemed intent on getting around his player - but I guess that’s because he’s under special instructions s like Sam E was.

The propensity to risk one on ones anywhere apart from penalty area/last third is not just a saints thing though. Seems to be a contagious thing and even when we get to last third it takes ages. 

It’s quite understandable ( though not pleasing on the eye) that a team founded on retaining possession chooses by default tactics which moderate loss of possession. 

I do think ( well I strongly hope!) in players such as Tyler and Mateus playing more often that will change. But it will be a slower process than many would like and it’s obviously RM’s judgement call. 

Edited by gio1saints

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So at times last night we played some good stuff - however the tempo and passing among defence was ridiculous at times. Is that because we dont have a focal point or outlet?

I think this is a big problem we have, its all too pedestrian, almost like an over 60's walking football tournament !

In the Prem the passing has to be quick, crisp and with movement, all of which we do sporadically but it needs to become more of the norm. 

They need to watch Lallana, as soon as he gets it he's looking to get that pass in almost immediately, he doesnt wander forward a few yards then turn round, go back and then complete the pass he could have made 10 seconds earlier.  

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 4

A pretty mean spirited set of comments on here.  Both teams made plenty of changes, we were away from home, and looked much the better team.  Thought we were more creative than against Forest, Brentford and Manure (after the first 25 mins on Saturday).  Positives for me:

- I thought the whole back four played well, and Wood looked a proper player unlike the Cardiff game.  From yesterday I can see why Martin likes him.

- we are well stocked for full backs, with both Taylor and Bree (in that order) looking good options if we want to or need to make a change.  Not all clubs battling relegation may have that depth.

- Lallana looked good in a Pirlo-style holding midfielder role, running the game as did Erikson I thought for Manure Saturday.  I would start him alongside Downes rather than Big Les on Saturday (Les more suited to Arsenal away).

- Cornet starting to build up sharpness having not played much football lately.  Thought he looked much better than Saturday.

- I thought McCarthy failed to dominate his area for their goal, but that one costly error apart played well.

Of concern was Armstrong who seems low on confidence, and BBD is busy but not yet effectual.  But overall a good night

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Forester said:

A pretty mean spirited set of comments on here.  Both teams made plenty of changes, we were away from home, and looked much the better team.  Thought we were more creative than against Forest, Brentford and Manure (after the first 25 mins on Saturday).  Positives for me:

- I thought the whole back four played well, and Wood looked a proper player unlike the Cardiff game.  From yesterday I can see why Martin likes him.

- we are well stocked for full backs, with both Taylor and Bree (in that order) looking good options if we want to or need to make a change.  Not all clubs battling relegation may have that depth.

- Lallana looked good in a Pirlo-style holding midfielder role, running the game as did Erikson I thought for Manure Saturday.  I would start him alongside Downes rather than Big Les on Saturday (Les more suited to Arsenal away).

- Cornet starting to build up sharpness having not played much football lately.  Thought he looked much better than Saturday.

- I thought McCarthy failed to dominate his area for their goal, but that one costly error apart played well.

Of concern was Armstrong who seems low on confidence, and BBD is busy but not yet effectual.  But overall a good night

The concerning stat is that, with around 25% share of the possession, a poor Everton side still managed more shots than we did. If RM is going to succeed at this level he needs to start getting the side to create a lot more chances from our high share of possession otherwise it's all a bit pointless.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

We had a strong 6 takers then. I didn't doubt any of them, except maybe Stewart.

Well done lads.

Was it because you were still not convinced he actually existed OR whether he was two weeks away from taking the penalty?  ;)

That said I thought he looked utterly unfazed by everything, raring to go (mentally even if he had fuck all time on the pitch) and I STILL have hope that he might be just what we need.

49 minutes ago, Forester said:

On what grounds do you say that? Despite having three times the possession that Everton did they managed to create more chances than us.

As others have mentioned, the emphasis on possession at all costs is not conducive to attacking football.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

It was just an almighty cock up wasn't it ? Obviously BBD was the go to with 7/7 (now 8/8) but for reasons best known only to himself RM decided to nominate a lad who had never taken one in a competitive match cos he looked good taking them in training.....i mean....come on ffs

To be fair to Archer you have to take your first penalty at some point plus he is a decent striker with a good finish non him so it would reasonable to expect him to score in my opinion. He didnt so he needs to get over it and move on if he gets another chance. Regardless of whether he has taken one in a league game before i would have expected him to score as did RM. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

To be fair to Archer you have to take your first penalty at some point plus he is a decent striker with a good finish non him so it would reasonable to expect him to score in my opinion. He didnt so he needs to get over it and move on if he gets another chance. Regardless of whether he has taken one in a league game before i would have expected him to score as did RM. 

Sorry but with two players on the pitch one of whom has scored 7 out of 7 and the other has not taken a penalty you would always choose the former and he would keep the job until he starts missing a few. It's not even a football thing just common sense really.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Time and a place to take your first one though. Better for him in the middle of a goalscoring run. 

Him taking and missing that one could destroy his confidence and set him back massively.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Whilst I agree to an extent with what you say there is a trime to take your first one, normally when your team is 3 up and it doesnt matter, as wuith the Charly Alcaraz one last season. 

• Like 1

Looking at the extended highlights on the Saints website you'd have to say that McCarthy was instrumental in winning that game with some good saves from several Everton attacks even before the penalty. Meanwhile Saints seemed to barely trouble their 'keeper despite overwhelming possession so lack of a goal threat remains a big problem.

• Like 4

I think last night proved conclusively that Adam Armstrong cannot play as a lone central striker. We now have a choice of Stewart, BBD and Onuachu. Archer also doesn't look like he performs well as a lone striker. Personally I feel we should play two strikers and tailor the shape with Dibling on the right, he is so unpredictable and a real threat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, derry said:

I think last night proved conclusively that Adam Armstrong cannot play as a lone central striker. We now have a choice of Stewart, BBD and Onuachu. Archer also doesn't look like he performs well as a lone striker. Personally I feel we should play two strikers and tailor the shape with Dibling on the right, he is so unpredictable and a real threat.

I do wonder if he (Dibling) could operate as a second striker actually, playing just behind the primary striker…think he’s got more in his kit bag than any of what you’d call our usual strikers. Even if he didn’t score many goals, defenders would be scared of touching him and giving away a pen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, derry said:

Even assuming RM accepts this why has it taken so long for his penny to drop? I'm still not convinced he doesn't think AA can play as a lone central striker but we'll see. One thing we can be sure of and that's the fact that he'll never pick Onuachu.

51 minutes ago, derry said:

Thought that was decided after Blackburn away last season.

4 hours ago, derry said:

And not forgetting AA thinks he can play a lone central striker and has RM's ear. It's so frustrating seeing him flounder time and time again in that role. Personally, I don't think he should even be in the match day squad. We have better options (not Tall Paul) this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

People usually make throw away remarks like that when they feel really comfortable and safe in their jobs. As I said earlier give the guy a chance in th PL.

Unlikely SR are in any hurry to start all over again especially as they have had some success with the Martin style of keep ball.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Who would you play in place of bednarek? 

Well originally I  was  going to say ABK but in hindsight there appears to be things going on behind the scenes with him that I'm not aware of so yeah, probably have to be janny which makes me very uneasy.

Very pleased to be in the hat for the next round. I thought we showed great character to come back from one down and it was a super cross by Charlie Taylor and a brilliantly despatched header from THB 😊 was great to see him captain and he was superb. Bree had a great game 😊 several crucial interceptions and was strong. He was my MOTM. Lallana just oozed class in the middle and pulling the strings 😊 hope he starts on Saturday. McCarthy made some key stops in normal time and then his save in the shootout clinched it for us 😊 all our penalties were clinically despatched 😊 When Dibling and Fernandes came on they were just on another level 😊 looking forward to Saturday - COYR 😊

Edited by davefizzy14

16 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Few thoughts ;

1. Lallana was a class above everyone on pitch. His vocal leadership was just another excellent ( and necessary) added extra. He can do it all- makes himself available wherever and his ball receipt, control and release is invariably excellent. Knows when to be where and how to play wherever he is. Needs young strong legs (like Les) next to him to really make it work though. 

2. Les is looking good to me.  He feels reassuring like he will win most his 50-50’s in MF - which is not something I’ve always been used to. A starter for me v Ipswich. His physicality buys our other players extra milliseconds of time to make those special passes. 
3. Mateus is a high ceiling attacking mf. Looks technically excellent clearly wants to get on with it and play progressive football. Speeds up our sometimes pedestrian game. 
4. Just like Tyler - who is why you pay to watch Saints play. He is our great hope. Must be Starter v Ipswich. 
5. The return of THB. So happy for him, the armband, the goal, the performance, the penalty, the win. Fair play mate after a bit uncertain start. Straight back into the team as starter on Saturday. 
6. Thank you for the Pen save and the other good save Alex- BUT- their goal was all on you not clearing that corner. 
7. BBD, RF, MC and AA - lot of running from AA and RF as usual but id like to think they all have more to give in terms of quality meaningful impact. No one really said I must start v Ipswich on those performances so I’d be tempted to go CA from the left RS central and AA from the right Saturday. 
8. CT provided some quality balls and experienced know how. 

My suggested Team for Saturday(433) 

1. AR 

2. KWP

3. CT 

4 JB 

5. THB 

6. LU

7. AA 

8. FD

9. RS 

10 TD if CT is starting - fine with me - KWP is sufrely RB, no?11. CA

Nb KWP at left back. 

I like your post and agree, but if CT starts - fine with me - he surely plays left back and KWP right back, right? Sugawara benched.

16 hours ago, Saint NL said:

We might have shot ourselves in the foot here. The Everton fans were not impressed with Dyches subs and booed them. That's normally a signal that the managers time is nearly done.

They'll fire him, get Moyes in and turn things around. Or something.

I think they will bring Moyes in, but what can he do with a shitty squad and little money?
Everton - you go down.

If a club deserves relegation it's EVERf*ckingTON.
They had been down in the 90s (92/93?) if Wimbledon keeper Hans Segers hadn't let in two goals in the second half to allow F*ckerton a draw vs Wimbledon to survive on goal difference - the smallest of margins.
Wimbledon keeper Hans Segers was investigated for match fixing afterwoods. With good reason.

Everton YOU GO DOWN.

yes, we might go down as well as may for instance Ipswich or Leicester or Wolves and B'mouth,
but besides that:
It's primarily Evertons turn to f*ck out of the prem!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by Kristian Loekkegaard

Well a win's a win, something to build on and hopefully gives us some confidence. Positive stuff.

If we are serious about surviving this is how we do it - keep the defence tight and hopefully nick a goal or two.

Russball is totally incompatible with this. Will RM make the changes needed?

On 18/09/2024 at 09:43, gio1saints said:

They definitely pressed our back 4 more in the 2nd half and were getting plenty of joy 

• Like 1