Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

15 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Didn't realise the next round is seeded. All the European teams are being kept apart. 

Hate that. They all just play reserves anyway so no reason I can see to make that rule.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Didn't realise the next round is seeded. All the European teams are being kept apart. 

Really ?
Pathetic and shameful if true.  Another ridiculous advantage to those with the biggest squads. Part of the excitement  of any cup is when some of the big guns go out and the draw opens up for smaller clubs in lower divisions. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Going to be Barrow away

Bastard of a journey midweek.

Wycombe away would be a decent away fixture (for a ground I’ve not been to before), 

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Really ?
Pathetic and shameful if true.  Another ridiculous advantage to those with the biggest squads. Part of the excitement  of any cup is when some of the big guns go out and the draw opens up for smaller clubs in lower divisions. 

Just saying it is to with eliminating European fixture congestion not seeding them for sake of it

• Lighthouse changed the title to Third Round Draw - Everton (a)
Just now, The Kraken said:

What an absolutely wank way of doing the draw. Basically seeded so the big teams can’t draw each other.

Fuck off.

Even the pre-draw draw ended up with most of them playing at home.

That pre draw is such a joke. Supposedly due to the new European format meaning they’d be unable to play each other. No doubt the EFL were only too delighted to accommodate keeping them all apart. 

They now get a bye, a 4/6 chance of being at home, and get to all avoid each other. Who says football isn’t what it was eh?

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

This was supposedly in response to the issues around fixture congestion but I cannot for the life of me remember the logic they tried to use. Whatever it was, it didn't make sense.

• Like 3

Should be a decent size crowd,

I think Everton's game against Doncaster was almost a sell out 

Presumably the home fans want to be able to enjoy the 'Goodison' experience before moving to their new stadium.

Dont think that we would take more than a 1,000 to the game

13 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

This was supposedly in response to the issues around fixture congestion but I cannot for the life of me remember the logic they tried to use. Whatever it was, it didn't make sense.

I think it must be fixture congestion of live TV games. From the point of view as a football competition it socks big time. 

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what a farce that draw is. Seeded so top teams cant play each other, what a joke

Under the fake guise that it's to aid with fixture congestion.

The same fixture congestion that isn't even a debate when these clubs fuck off to Australia for friendlies the week after the season has finished.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Under the fake guise that it's to aid with fixture congestion.

The same fixture congestion that isn't even a debate when these clubs fuck off to Australia for friendlies the week after the season has finished.

Yep, plus most of them play a B team until the semi finals anyway. Absolute disgrace really.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LGTL said:

That pre draw is such a joke. Supposedly due to the new European format meaning they’d be unable to play each other. No doubt the EFL were only too delighted to accommodate keeping them all apart. 

They now get a bye, a 4/6 chance of being at home, and get to all avoid each other. Who says football isn’t what it was eh?

By ensuring they can't eliminate each other and giving them easy draws, they're making sure they'll all get more fixtures, supposedly to ease their fixture congestion???

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yep, plus most of them play a B team until the semi finals anyway. Absolute disgrace really.

And that is exactly the point.  Even if there was only 24 hrs between the fixtures, so what.  We have just played Cardiff and both sides made 11 changes, top teams have more than enough in their squads to be able to do exactly the same, and still be competitive.  Either that or bow out of the competition altogether, either way we shouldn't be pandering to the top teams, but unfortunately, money talks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Tuesday 17th September. No kick off yet, probably for the best! 😂 

That's what I thought based on Google.

But when the draw was first made it was suggested the following week. I'm hoping it is the 17th so that I can actually go though...

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1828912373962355111?t=2JleIZOBtp1Nd0sRUbndCg&s=19

10 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

That's what I thought based on Google.

But when the draw was first made it was suggested the following week. I'm hoping it is the 17th so that I can actually go though...

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1828912373962355111?t=2JleIZOBtp1Nd0sRUbndCg&s=19

Games will be played over both weeks. Supposedly to reduce fixture congestion but more probably to suit the TV coverage so that they can have more games.

That’s also probably the reason that the kickoff time hasn’t been fixed yet.

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Games will be played over both weeks. Supposedly to reduce fixture congestion but more probably to suit the TV coverage so that they can have more games.

That’s also probably the reason that the kickoff time hasn’t been fixed yet.

Saints would prefer the 2nd week with blank weekend following but I think we'll be first week (17th or 18th) 

Liverpool will need to be home week 2 as they play champions league in week 1 and they won't have Liverpool and Everton at home same week. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-1 (5-6p) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic