Aaron Ramsdale

Saint Fan CaM

45 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

How will he be rated on here after his first howler I wonder ?

His first howler will come of course but we won't be expecting a number of mistakes in every game plus we'll see plenty of worldie saves mixed in with the more routine ones.

55 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I think we should expect him to have a bit of a weakness with claiming crosses judging by the online comments of Arsenal fans

Same as Bazanu/Pickford and the likes.
McCarthy and Lumley are better at claiming crosses but they are taller, which helps, but less nimble on their feet.

1 hour ago, kitch said:

Dare I say I'm even more impressed to get Ramsdale than when we got Forster, and that felt like a coup at the time!

Feels like a while since we signed a really good solid Premiership player. Exactly the kind of thing Turkish has been going on about for a few years.  Perhaps not young with lots of potential, perhaps not foreign, mysterious and somewhat exciting, but certainly someone that does the job, you can almost forgot about and very much start building a proper side on that can win games and stay in this league. I really hope it turns out that way. 

• Like 2

Mistakes I am sure will happen but they are now relegated to the sort of amount every other keeper makes instead of record breaking, he instantly brings peace to our defence which hopefully helps them play better and gives them confidence in his saving and ball skills.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Feels like a while since we signed a really good solid Premiership player. Exactly the kind of thing Turkish has been going on about for a few years.  Perhaps not young with lots of potential, perhaps not foreign, mysterious and somewhat exciting, but certainly someone that does the job, you can almost forgot about and very much start building a proper side on that can win games and stay in this league. I really hope it turns out that way. 

Agreed, and the great thing is Ramsdale is 26: It is possible he could still be playing for us in 8 years time.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Mistakes I am sure will happen but they are now relegated to the sort of amount every other keeper makes instead of record breaking, he instantly brings peace to our defence which hopefully helps them play better and gives them confidence in his saving and ball skills.

Instead of taking the easy route and just blaming the keeper for every goal we concede, we can look at all the little errors (and big) made in front of him that lead to goals and chances. 

We are going to concede goals though. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Agreed, and the great thing is Ramsdale is 26: It is possible he could still be playing for us in 8 years time.

We could have him for a decade. I'd love us to have a properly solid older keeper for once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Instead of taking the easy route and just blaming the keeper for every goal we concede, we can look at all the little errors (and big) made in front of him that lead to goals and chances. 

That takes effort though, so much easier just to make knee jerk judgements and comments.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

when was the last time we signed a quality proven player from another premier league club?

Willy Caballero I believe is actually the only one 😂

Prior to that you would have to go much fruther back pre Premier League I believe. (Shilton?)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

when was the last time we signed a quality proven player from another premier league club? The last one i can think of is Kevin Phillips

Ings - but of course with the nagging concern of his injury recovery. 

Ramsdale is largely worry free as he won't have any time all season to switch off during games

Just now, Patches O Houlihan said:

Ings - but of course with the nagging concern of his injury recovery. 

Ramsdale is largely worry free as he won't have any time all season to switch off during games

ah yes Ings, somehow i forgot about him. 🤣 That worked well.

Just now, Hopper said:

Willy Caballero I believe is actually the only one 😂

Prior to that you would have to go much fruther back pre Premier League I believe. (Shilton?)

I was really pleased to see Big Willy arrive - but of course he was always a bit of an Old Father Time signing

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

46 goals in 100 appearances for us - He might have behaved like a bit of a twat at the end, but he was definitely a good buy.

he was good signing, i didn't mean that to sound sarcastic if it did. As was Kevin Phillips, so when we've bought quality it's worked.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

He's at least being able to show what he can do, which is presumably what he wanted. At least three great saves today, would have been an ugly scoreline without him. Regardless of the result, you don't have people talking about any great saves you made if you're sat on the bench every week. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Aaron Ramsdale
7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He was fvcking terrible today. Kicking was appalling. And though the goal wasn't his fault, if Bazunu had conceded that he'd absolutely be blamed for it.

Did you not see the outstanding save he made from Hutchinson's shot? Was very refreshing to see a Saints keeper make a save like that. No way in hell Baz would have made it.

• Like 4

if Russell continues to have us play this style of football, we are going to have to take the good with the bad with Ramsdale.

great ball stopper, but not great with his feet.

We would have lost without Ramsdale today.. but he is going to give away a lot of balls in our final third this season if Russball continues.

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Did you not see the outstanding save he made from Hutchinson's shot? Was very refreshing to see a Saints keeper make a save like that. No way in hell Baz would have made it.

If Baz had saved it it would be branded "A save any keeper should make"

• Like 1