Aaron Ramsdale

Saint Fan CaM

Just now, trousers said:

For the love of almighty God, just announce the new goalkeeper. FFS.

The new goalkeeper is....

...two weeks away.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Looking forward to his first mislaid pass that results in an opposition goal so I can boo the living piss out of him! 😁🤪

But seriously this is an excellent signing - he's maybe not the sort of Goalkeeper Martin wanted (like Steele or Bijlow, keepers that are super comfortable with the ball at their feet) but he's an excellent shot stopper and takes command of his area and is still young. Maybe this means Martin will take a more pragmatic approach to tippy tappying it around at the back. This is a keeper that should arguably be England's number one. It is an excellent signing in a season where not long ago we thought that McCarthy would be our number one until Baz got back.

Agree with all that, plus I’m hoping that his presence will inspire the defenders in front of him and raise their performance levels too.

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

Hopefully being dropped from the England squad today won't have a detrimental effect on his decision.

Not playing any games at Arsenal will have an impact on his decision. Playing regularly with us should help him, if he does well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Hopefully being dropped from the England squad today won't have a detrimental effect on his decision.

One thing about Saints is we're a good place for a goalkeeper to look good due to our world class ability to give up clear cut chances. Admittedly you're probably also getting more hospital passes here than at any other club.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

The other three England keepers are #1s for Everton, Palace and Newcastle - being the Saints #1 gives him a platform, in comparison to sitting at Arsenal and simply not playing

• Like 1

Good article from Alfie house. Fairly definitive I would say @OldNick:

Wyscout data calculates a 'prevented goals' metric in which 0 means you have conceded the exact amount of goals you should have for the quality of chances you have faced. Anything above 0 means you have outperformed your xG.

Despite playing almost exclusively in the Premier League or Europe, Ramsdale has a superior prevented goals statistic to McCarthy and Bazunu since the start of 2022/23. He boasts -1.87 to McCarthy's -8.97 and Bazunu's extremely poor -24.53.

Playing for Arsenal, Ramsdale naturally has faced less shots but boasts the best save percentage rate at 68.13 per cent, versus 59.77 per cent and 60.63 per cent.

At a glance, the statistics also show Ramsdale has an 86.64 per cent pass success rate compared to McCarthy's 84.57 and Bazunu's superior 87.73.

5 hours ago, kitch said:

Got to be honest, I woke up this morning thinking that I'd had some kind of weird dream where we'd won 5-3 the night before (including a thunderbastard from James Bree), watched a midfield maestro play for us, had Adam Lallana come on at 60mins) and were about to sign the no.2 England keeper.

There's a lot to love in that paragraph but I think the term "" thunderbastard " wins it for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not sure how in-the-know Sky Sports are but they just talked about the Ramsdale deal and ended by saying 'it's done and just a matter of time'. 

That's fairly obvious, so pretty lazy journalism.

It won't be announced until Arsenal wrap up Garcia which may well be tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

That's fairly obvious, so pretty lazy journalism.

It won't be announced until Arsenal wrap up Garcia which may well be tomorrow 

It won't be anything to do with that. It will be our media team faffing around with Hagrid costumes and putting a video interview together.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It won't be anything to do with that. It will be our media team faffing around with Hagrid costumes and putting a video interview together.

He may still have his costume from Wembley? Waste not, want not.

Arsenal have said they won't let him go without a replacement in place so it is a case of sit and wait for now

11 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Arsenal have said they won't let him go without a replacement in place so it is a case of sit and wait for now

Where does it say that?

He's doing/done his medical. Saints always take ages to do official announcement stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Where does it say that?

He's doing/done his medical. Saints always take ages to do official announcement stuff. 

It also gives people the chance to have a mini meltdown about it falling through every 5 mins.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

interesting bit of info

"So Edu sold Ramsdale for 18M in order to escape Bournemouth 15% sell on clause if Ramsdale gets sold for more than 19M"

Sell for £18M and Arsenal get 18M, sell for £19M and Arsenal get 18.85M and Bournemouth 150k.

this selling so don’t have to pay former club a sell on is nonsense as still beneficial to do so 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Sell for £18M and Arsenal get 18M, sell for £19M and Arsenal get 18.85M and Bournemouth 150k.

this selling so don’t have to pay former club a sell on is nonsense as still beneficial to do so 

Think you need to check your maths again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

interesting bit of info

"So Edu sold Ramsdale for 18M in order to escape Bournemouth 15% sell on clause if Ramsdale gets sold for more than 19M"

👏👏👏 They’ve had enough hand outs over the years.

11 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Depends if it's 15% of the whole transfer or 15% of everything above £19m.

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Where does it say that?

It's been reported by major journalists all summer and I'm pretty sure Arteta has said it in press conferences too

9 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

It's been reported by major journalists all summer and I'm pretty sure Arteta has said it in press conferences too

So, not today then. That's not been reported or even hinted at today.

The news yesterday that the fee/ deal has been agreed, and the news today that he has been for his medical I think trumps any stuff that was said by Arteta in interviews when there were multiple clubs/outcomes in play. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So, not today then. That's not been reported or even hinted at today.

The news yesterday that the fee/ deal has been agreed, and the news today that he has been for his medical I think trumps any stuff that was said by Arteta in interviews when there were multiple clubs/outcomes in play. 

My point is it has been said that they will not allow him to leave until a replacement has come in. We will have to wait for an announcement until Garcia has signed for Arsenal which may be tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

My point is it has been said that they will not allow him to leave until a replacement has come in. We will have to wait for an announcement until Garcia has signed for Arsenal which may be tomorrow.

Bet he's announced tonight. 

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

All day for a medical...? We've gone from one extreme to another it would seem!

Screenshot_20240829-194647.png

So a little more in-depth than 'look left, cup and cough' I assume.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

And my point is that those two things are not directly related in the way you are making out.

42 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Depends if it's 15% of the whole transfer or 15% of everything above £19m.

It’s always on the excess. Not aware of any that have been on full sale price