Aaron Ramsdale

Saint Fan CaM

Just now, gio1saints said:

Is it possible Aaron is being lined up if Bijlow fails his medical? 

Does he only have one leg then? A player who hasn't played for 18 months passed a medical with us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Have I missed something? Everything I've seen points at the dutch chap, we tried for Ramsdale but Arsenal wanted too much.

We've moved on surely, which is why the other move is now advancing - may well get done today.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Ramsdale is£120 pw and £5m fee. 
Bijlow is c £15m and probably £50k pw, 

In year1  with Ramsdale we commit to near £11m including wages. Thats before any haggling. We may get him for c £6-£8m with luck for one year of his services - if nobody else bids. And then there is obligation to buy. If that’s a sensible figure ( say £20m) then that’s another THB situation for what turns out to be a high class player for Saints. He may be worth much more than £20m if he keeps us up for instance. 

Bijlow otoh is going to be c £15m and wages c £50k pw. The transfer fee may get haggled down -but the wages won’t. He costs saints c £3m on a 5 year deal plus c £2.5m in wages total £5.5m. He may be worth double in a year if we stay up though - and gets to be Dutch #1 accordingly - value nearer to £30m. 
Both good goalies. One rather injury prone. I personally think the buying option is simpler and gives longer term ease of mind but it’s a close call either way. Very Happy with either. Both incentivised to stop goals cos they want to be national #1. Thumbs 👍 up either from me - and they start NOT bench!!

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

This feels like a week old news, we’ve moved onto the Dutch chap. Ramsdale won’t be coming here 

Except the SS report was from today? I guess it maybe regurgitated BS, but not a week old.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I’m saying Sky are a week behind, not you old chap.

Sky are a pretty rubbish source these days, but in fairness broke the Downes deal this summer.

Definitely some cat and mouse going on with Ramsdale and Bijlow, but in which direction is anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Sky are a pretty rubbish source these days, but in fairness broke the Downes deal this summer.

Definitely some cat and mouse going on with Ramsdale and Bijlow, but in which direction is anyone's guess. 

Getting neither would be my guess, still "we" tried.

4 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Getting neither would be my guess, still "we" tried.

Russell was pretty clear in his press conference, that with Lis out of the door, we now need to do something in GK and we will do. It may not be either of them, but thankfully it seems clear that we will actually sign a goalkeeper much to my relief. 

The dutch guy is the one though I think.

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Is it possible Aaron is being lined up if Bijlow fails his medical? 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Does he only have one leg then? A player who hasn't played for 18 months passed a medical with us.

CCTV footage of Bijlow's medical has just been released. Looks like he's definitely going to pass...

Just A Flesh Wound GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Russell was pretty clear in his press conference, that with Lis out of the door, we now need to do something in GK and we will do. It may not be either of them, but thankfully it seems clear that we will actually sign a goalkeeper much to my relief. 

The dutch guy is the one though I think.

Hope so, this glaring deficiency in the side has gone on long enough.

16 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Hope so, this glaring deficiency in the side has gone on long enough.

Better to buy one so that he is ours and we don't go through this all over again when the loan is up. We've a couple more sales to make so we can probably afford it.

• Like 2

Knowing our luck we will get Bijlow and Stewart in for the Brentford game.  Both play blinders, and then a clash in the 8th minute of injury time puts them out for the rest of the season.  Saintsy...

It's going to be Hagrid or Robocop, either is great news...

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Sky Sports reporting... Southampton are in talks with Arsenal over a loan deal for Aaron Ramsdale. Discussions also include the potential for a purchase if Saints stay up.

https://x.com/SkySportsLyall/status/1827035312675057967?t=PMZ0d3be--v4Ldvjhp_bLg&s=19

And the BBC Gossip column is also saying we're in talks with Arsenal over Ramsdale. This seems to be following the rule of say it often enough and it will become a reality.

We've got the best fans in the world.....😉

I would imagine the 'this season' finances in the Ramsdale deal are very similar to that of the Bijlow, main difference is the outlay would be on a loan rather than the permanent. Something the club will have to weigh up.

If they can negotiate a reasonable obligation clause should we stay up, which factors in financially what we've covered this season, then it could make sense if we get him for say £20m next summer.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

I'm actually a little stunned some people would prefer Bijlow over Ramsdale... Nothing to do with who is better for our system but the simple fact that Bijlow has been very injury prone and we can't afford to be missing him for half the season!  You'd think we'd learnt from Stewart.

Don't get me wrong I'd take Bijlow over AM & GB but if we have the option of Ramsdale for only a few £m more for the year we should do it

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I'm actually a little stunned some people would prefer Bijlow over Ramsdale... Nothing to do with who is better for our system but the simple fact that Bijlow has been very injury prone and we can't afford to be missing him for half the season!  You'd think we'd learnt from Stewart.

Don't get me wrong I'd take Bijlow over AM & GB but if we have the option of Ramsdale for only a few £m more for the year we should do it

This is the dilemma…if it weren’t for his poor injury record Bijlow is more suited to Russball, but Aaron has pure pedigree, a good injury record and looks more likely as a loan to buy. Tough shout for the club.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

It's a very important season for the club and you're right, we can't afford to buy a keeper then he gets injured and misses most of the season. Obviously it could happen to anyone but clearly Bijlow is much more injury prone than most goalkeepers. 

For me we should be going all out for Ramsdale. He's not actually that bad at playing out from the back, just not as good as Raya but still better than a lot of keepers in the league. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

3 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Surely Ramsdale isn’t up for setting his career back as much as coming to us?! Arsenal 1st choice 40 games ago to relegation fighter?!

Being the difference that saves a lower half team enough points to keep them up hasn’t caused Pickford any problems.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Ramsdale would be absolutely top. Fingers crossed 🤞

Agreed, yes, I want him but a fanatical Arsenal fan said he lost confidence before he was dropped. Lets hope he regains confidence quickly

23 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Being the difference that saves a lower half team enough points to keep them up hasn’t caused Pickford any problems.

Perhaps but he went up a level from Sunderland not from top to bottom with us haha! Hopefully a deal can be done ✔️ 

• St Chalet changed the title to Aaron Ramsdale
On 24/08/2024 at 10:35, Saint Fan CaM said:

Positive thing is the story is not going away, however it would be the most #saintsy thing to sign Bijlow so as to keep the medical team on their toes.

How predictive was that?! Certainly kept the medical team busy - so much that they effectively stopped the buy and stepped up the Ramsdale deal.

12 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

£25m fee agreed between Arsenal and Saints for a permanent deal

£18m + add ons- winning the champions league, prem and Fa Cup all in the same year. We should be able to avoid the extra £7m 

Edited by Greenridge
  • Haha 1