Health and Diet (Split)

Turkish

I highly doubt many if any of the obese Americans out there have been studying published dietry guidelines. Quite the opposite, I think they're all just shovelling in convenient junk food because it's stuffed with salt or sugar and tastes nice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I highly doubt many if any of the obese Americans out there have been studying published dietry guidelines. Quite the opposite, I think they're all just shovelling in convenient junk food because it's stuffed with salt or sugar and tastes nice.

Sticking it to "The Man". I ain't gonna do what the Government tells me. Hell Yeh 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

First target of 18kg loss achieved today. 18kg = 40lbs = 5 standard sized babies (8lbs each).

I was accused last week of having a gastric band fitted - which I took as a compliment!

Well done!

Probably for the best you don't eat babies generally, for lots of reas...wait... I read that wrong... 🙂

On 22/08/2024 at 18:14, Weston Super Saint said:

I'm the first to admit my diet was shit.  Utter garbage!

Whilst I was exercising in the gym four days per week - last couple of years were strength training, since November it's been pure cardio with 30 min rows + 30 mins cross trainer twice per week and 60 mins cross trainer the other two days per week - and also cycling 70 - 100 miles each weekend, I was kidding myself that I had 'earnt' the treats I was eating.

Roll on 3 herniated lumbar discs, 2 MRIs and a whole suite of blood tests in May, diagnosing pre-diabetes and clogged arteries and I got the kick up the arse I needed!  All the shit has had to go.  Treats are for others and I now eat apples instead!  Meal sizes have been reduced and we generally eat home cooked / prepared meals.  But more importantly no snacking between meals.

15kg have gone since the end of May and another 13 are targetted for the chop!

Back is still fucked - waiting for the next consultation to discuss surgery - but I'm pretty sure the pre-diabetes will be resolved as well as the high cholesterol (have refused to take statins, preferring to manage through weight loss and drinking a plant stenol supplement every day).

Love getting older!

Went through a similar things earlier in the year when I had blood tests because I was so knackered all the time.  Dr told me I had pre-diabetes and needed to make some lifestyle changes.

Go to the gym 4 times a week, play golf as much as I can, hardly drink and eating better.  I haven’t lost a lot of weight but my clothes fit better now.

Do half and half between weights and cardio.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2024 at 09:00, Lighthouse said:

`I have a lot of American colleagues and friends and whenever they share pictures of their food, it is pretty much all meat - mostly red meat and served with sweet, sugary BBQ type sauces.  Stereotypically, the only vegetable ever in sight is corn, smothered in butter and salt, washed down with beer. 

Going back to the table in the tweet shared further up of western vs med diets, of course in the med they eat red meat, but they eat proportionally a lot less red meat than fresh vegetables, they use tomatoes and olive oil as sauce bases and wash down with water and red wine.

There is a HUGE difference in food styles.  Sadly many in this country idolise the US version that diet rather than the med version.  Actually take pizza, a proper pizza isn't actually that unhealthy, it's a thin base, fresh tomatoes, v little cheese, basil etc.  A US pizza ... thick as fk dough, covered in cheese. Vile. 

I was in the south of France (between Cannes and Antibes) at the start of summer and I'm always amazed at their supermarkets - the variety of fresh food (local too) is stunning, it is so easy to knock up quality, tasty, healthy food - and cheap too.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

`I have a lot of American colleagues and friends and whenever they share pictures of their food, it is pretty much all meat - mostly red meat and served with sweet, sugary BBQ type sauces.  Stereotypically, the only vegetable ever in sight is corn, smothered in butter and salt, washed down with beer. 

Going back to the table in the tweet shared further up of western vs med diets, of course in the med they eat red meat, but they eat proportionally a lot less red meat than fresh vegetables, they use tomatoes and olive oil as sauce bases and wash down with water and red wine.

There is a HUGE difference in food styles.  Sadly many in this country idolise the US version that diet rather than the med version.  Actually take pizza, a proper pizza isn't actually that unhealthy, it's a thin base, fresh tomatoes, v little cheese, basil etc.  A US pizza ... thick as fk dough, covered in cheese. Vile. 

I was in the south of France (between Cannes and Antibes) at the start of summer and I'm always amazed at their supermarkets - the variety of fresh food (local too) is stunning, it is so easy to knock up quality, tasty, healthy food - and cheap too.

We brought a pizza oven a couple of years back now we only have homemade pizza. Sour dough base, tomato sauce with basil, melted cheese, they are 1000 times better than anything you'll buy at Dominos or Papa johns.

Like you say the med diet is the healthiest out there, meat or fish with loads of veg and wine. What's not to like about that. One of the healthiest places in the world is Sardinia where they have one of the highest populations of people who live to over 100, they live of that and all stay active, no sitting on the sofa watching TV all day like a lot of Brits and Yanks do.

• Like 2

We interview Mark from Cagliari.

H&W: So Mark, what is the secret of your 109 years?

Mark: Lots of wine. Lots and lots. Just to blot out most of those years.

H&W: Yet you are so active!

Mark: Always get given salad. Never enough. I have to get up all the time to go to the fridge. 15000 steps a day, just doing that.

H&W: But so much to enjoy here!

Mark: I'd trade it all for a couple of good box sets.

H&W: Has being a Sardine held you back in any way?

Mark: That's a different thing ... (reaches for more wine)... idiot...

Good work on the weight loss @Weston Super Saint when you look around at people it's amazing how many people are in really, really bad shape and how many people have a similar mindset to you that by going the gym or exercising they're "earning" eating shit and drinking loads. My sister in law is a classic example of this, shes not particularly overweight but always complains she feels tired, isn't losing weight and often feels poorly. It's because she goes to the gym for for a run but will drink 2-3 cans of Stella a night and easily 5-6 on a weekend (classy bird right) all those carlories "earned" gone by drinking shit lager.

It amazes me just how many people go to the gym and just plod along on the treadmill or bike for 20 mins or lift weights with terrible form,  far too heavy (often both) or do pointless stuff that isn't doing anything.

I had to stop doing crossfit at the start of the year which is by a country mile the best thing there is for general all round fitness i've ever done in 30 years of being in and around gyms. I still stick to the general principles though. Strength training 4 times a week concentrating on the big compound lifts, Deadlift, bench, should press, squat. I'll start with one of those for about 30 mins, doing progressive overload. Then do a crossfit style workout either copying one on the girl or hero workouts or make up my own, using one of running, bike or rowing, then barbell weights and/or body weight stuff, usually no more than 3 separate movements. I find this sort of workout much more interesting and fun than just going for a 5kg run. I also do a 2-4 mile walk at lunch time depending on how the day is panning out work wise. I track everything, what weights i'm doing for strength what my times are for the work outs and i'll repeat a few of the workouts every 3-6 months to see how i'm progressing. It's led to some seriously impressive increases in strength and fitness. Monday i took nearly a minute of my time for the "Karen" workout, 150 wallballs to target with a 9kg ball, last week did "Grettel" (10 rounds of 3 clean and jerks and 3 burpees) in 1.24 quicker that when i last did it March. 

I'd say overall i'm fitter now than i was in my early 20s. Like a lot of people i did loads of sport as a kid, teens and early 20s was football and also training at the boxing club in Thornhill then let myself go a bit once got married and settled down. I cant 5 or 10k run like i used to but im miles stronger and generally have a better all fitness than i did 25 years ago.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Have you still completely kicked the booze Turkish?

No, did 104 days at the start of the year. Started to have a few on weekends again and also when on holiday. I didn’t realise how good I felt during the 104 days until I started drinking again. So not totally cut out but Much less than I used to. That’s said I’ve started another break from 1st September as Saturday and Sunday morning got kids football again, northing worse than trying to coach a load of prepubescent boys with even a mild hangover. Even just a couple makes me lethargic so I can’t expect them to give it their all if im not. Knocking it on the head the weekends we have a game feels the right thing to do. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

I'm reading The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee and it is enlightening.

I would recommend it to everyone - he is not linked to any corporations so is not selling anything.

I am starting to take some of this on board but do already meet some of the steps in each of the 4 pillars.

10 minutes ago, Saint Luke said:

I'm reading The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee and it is enlightening.

I would recommend it to everyone - he is not linked to any corporations so is not selling anything.

I am starting to take some of this on board but do already meet some of the steps in each of the 4 pillars.

I've read that, it's very good. Have you listened to his podcast? Also well worth a listen which i do every week whilst out walking

One of the best books i've read which is completely unbiased is In Defence of Food by Micheal Pollin. Most of books are either trying to sell something or promoting an agenda, for example "How not to die" was recommended to me by someone who claimed you cannot argue with the science behind it, whilst some of that is true the theme through the book was the answer to everything is become Vegan, what's the question?

• 1 month later...

Reports that people aren’t getting the wonder obesity drug and it’s a post code lottery. Being presented like it is scandal and even a comparison that wouldn’t happen if it was cancer medication.  Well they are not the same thing. Losing weight is hard but if you got up to 25 stone you can’t expect your health to be saved by a drug.

On 11/09/2024 at 08:56, Turkish said:

Good work on the weight loss @Weston Super Saint when you look around at people it's amazing how many people are in really, really bad shape and how many people have a similar mindset to you that by going the gym or exercising they're "earning" eating shit and drinking loads. My sister in law is a classic example of this, shes not particularly overweight but always complains she feels tired, isn't losing weight and often feels poorly. It's because she goes to the gym for for a run but will drink 2-3 cans of Stella a night and easily 5-6 on a weekend (classy bird right) all those carlories "earned" gone by drinking shit lager.

It amazes me just how many people go to the gym and just plod along on the treadmill or bike for 20 mins or lift weights with terrible form,  far too heavy (often both) or do pointless stuff that isn't doing anything.

I had to stop doing crossfit at the start of the year which is by a country mile the best thing there is for general all round fitness i've ever done in 30 years of being in and around gyms. I still stick to the general principles though. Strength training 4 times a week concentrating on the big compound lifts, Deadlift, bench, should press, squat. I'll start with one of those for about 30 mins, doing progressive overload. Then do a crossfit style workout either copying one on the girl or hero workouts or make up my own, using one of running, bike or rowing, then barbell weights and/or body weight stuff, usually no more than 3 separate movements. I find this sort of workout much more interesting and fun than just going for a 5kg run. I also do a 2-4 mile walk at lunch time depending on how the day is panning out work wise. I track everything, what weights i'm doing for strength what my times are for the work outs and i'll repeat a few of the workouts every 3-6 months to see how i'm progressing. It's led to some seriously impressive increases in strength and fitness. Monday i took nearly a minute of my time for the "Karen" workout, 150 wallballs to target with a 9kg ball, last week did "Grettel" (10 rounds of 3 clean and jerks and 3 burpees) in 1.24 quicker that when i last did it March. 

I'd say overall i'm fitter now than i was in my early 20s. Like a lot of people i did loads of sport as a kid, teens and early 20s was football and also training at the boxing club in Thornhill then let myself go a bit once got married and settled down. I cant 5 or 10k run like i used to but im miles stronger and generally have a better all fitness than i did 25 years ago.

Weston has done a great job, I follow him on Strava.  Impressive stuff you’re doing as well and pleased you are seeing progression. Hoping by the time next July comes around I’ll be hauling south of 75kg up Alpe d’Huez rather than around 80 but it’s not easy. I think people have a tendency to over estimate what they burn in relation to what they perceive they put in. Take yesterday, Strava estimates my 32k virtual ride burnt 424 calories. That’s a donut and a half or a couple of pints of lager. Sometimes it’s the little things that make a difference. I do a very very modest weight and core circuit each morning concentrating on form over volume. Don’t do much leg work apart from stretches as I can’t lunge or squat due to a dodgy left knee, but as cyclists generally have the upper body strength of a fish working the core and upper body is beginning to pay dividends on the bike. I PBd the ride yesterday by 4 minutes (that’s unheard of over that sort of distance without really blowing out of your arse. Hope we all keep it going.

arse

• Like 2

Can’t match you guys for fitness kicks and Weston’s impressive weight loss but managed to lose several pounds since the summer and my clothes are fitting better with reducing carb intake. Not altogether because I do enjoy good bread but from the local baker not crap with a preservative list stretching half of the packet.

Main thing for me is reducing inflammation rather than weight per se, I’m median BMI for my height. Kicked lactose out of my diet in 2019 after allergy tests and the heartburn of old has vanished. I still have lactose free milk etc, not gone down the vegan route fully and eggs in cooked things etc. Have stopped meat though, fish is my protein align with pulses and lentils although I do limit the tuna. 

The Cotswolds helps, some of the hills are around or over 1000 feet and good cardio, and views when it’s not full of rain and clag. Been wanting to get over to the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons an hour or so from here, but want a decent day to make the most of it with the walking boots on. Crickhowell is a great place to start walks from.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Weston has done a great job, I follow him on Strava.  Impressive stuff you’re doing as well and pleased you are seeing progression. Hoping by the time next July comes around I’ll be hauling south of 75kg up Alpe d’Huez rather than around 80 but it’s not easy. I think people have a tendency to over estimate what they burn in relation to what they perceive they put in. Take yesterday, Strava estimates my 32k virtual ride burnt 424 calories. That’s a donut and a half or a couple of pints of lager. Sometimes it’s the little things that make a difference. I do a very very modest weight and core circuit each morning concentrating on form over volume. Don’t do much leg work apart from stretches as I can’t lunge or squat due to a dodgy left knee, but as cyclists generally have the upper body strength of a fish working the core and upper body is beginning to pay dividends on the bike. I PBd the ride yesterday by 4 minutes (that’s unheard of over that sort of distance without really blowing out of your arse. Hope we all keep it going.

arse

Yep it's a common mistake people make. Do some exercise and think they've earnt a treat. Calories burnt not really accurate and you do hear people saying all the time they've burnt xxxx amount of calories today. Then that all depends on your body compositions, a 100kg bloke will burn a lot more calories doing an half an hour of running than a 60kg woman but you're still only talking 250-400 in half an hour, which is then whipped out by having a beer and a packet of crisps. 

I've learnt from doing a lot of research and making a lot of mistakes that most diets are bollocks they will work short term but not sustainable and not enjoyable. Keto is great short term but imagine doing it for the rest of your life and never being able to have a sandwich again or a bowl of pasta. 

the best way to do it is eat healthy 90% of the time, you can have a treat a few times a week but not everyday. Health means ignoring "health foods" and sticking to meat, fish and veg. keep your protein high as that fills you for longer, and train for progress & performance not weight loss. That's the difference between training and exercise for me, follow a plan, track your progress and try to improve each month, dont just go there and spend 30 mins on the exercise bike so you've burnt 300 calories like loads of people do. If every month you're getting fitter and stronger (which is why i track everything) whilst eating well most of the time then the rest will fall into place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

. If every month you're getting fitter and stronger (which is why i track everything) whilst eating well most of the time then the rest will fall into place. 

This is true.

In May I was clocking 10k rowing at just under 45 minutes. Last week I hit a new PB of 41:25 which is a crazy improvement for an over 50!!

Hoping to get close to 40:00 but averaging 2:00:00 per 500m for so long is a challenge!