Health and Diet (Split)

Turkish

19 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. Most nutritionist and gp advised healthy diets are appalling. Bread, cereal, pasta is all carbs aka sugar. They all raise insulin levels and make us feel hungry pretty quickly. Fats and proteins fill us and provide slow release energy, and pretty much everything else is a type of sugar. A 3 egg omelette with a bit of cheese cooked in butter for breakfast will fill you until lunchtime, or a few massive scoops of full fat greek yoghurt and some berries. A huge bowl of cereals or load of toast won't. I look at the state of the masses and really feel for them. Cut the processed shite out, and eat as much single ingredient food as possible is all we need to do. 

this is also worth a watch, i'm reading his book at the moment about Ultra Processed food. I'm sure he's just a crank with his own agenda though,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

this is also worth a watch, i'm reading his book at the moment about Ultra Processed food. I'm sure he's just a crank with his own agenda though,

Cheers Del, really good watch. That fella knows what he's talking about. I hadn't known about that amazing experiment in the 1920's. The ADHD/food link is something that I'm coming round to /, and the outcome of the experiment will be interesting. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Cheers Del, really good watch. That fella knows what he's talking about. I hadn't known about that amazing experiment in the 1920's. The ADHD/food link is something that I'm coming round to /, and the outcome of the experiment will be interesting. 

read his book, it's fascinating. goes into much more detail. 

On 15/08/2024 at 14:25, egg said:

Just seen this from a social media influencer. I don’t usually give them much time but this guy talks a lot of sense. The truth will never come out as it’s a huge industry but something in it for sure. 

IMG_4820.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks for the video Turkish. I'm watching it in calorie controlled chunks, as I get the time.

Seeing the links to generational issues is very interesting too. As the video said, it's not an industry controlled for health, or for dietary benefits. It's an industry controlled for profit. Like other historical examples such as pharmaceutical and tobacco industries, there's a lack of trust in the information put out by them.

It makes logically argued discussions from various expert sources, not necessarily beholden to that industry, very valuable.

Although, I can just look at my grandparents and parents, and the relatives of my peer group. Traditional diets that helped in lowering risks of various things. I got the benefit of that too, growing up. Even if I'm a bit rubbish at it now. I know my system prefers the healthy options. It just gets a bit hijacked at the thought of a multi pack of salt n shake. 🙂 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Just seen this from a social media influencer. I don’t usually give them much time but this guy talks a lot of sense. The truth will never come out as it’s a huge industry but something in it for sure. 

IMG_4820.jpeg

Cheers. I have a lot of time for Eddie Abbew. He talks a lot of sense, and my diet ain't a million miles from his. Sugar, processed food, chemicals, are really messing with people's health and people absolutely need to wake up to what their doing to themselves and their kids. Eat clean, cook, move around more - it ain't complicated. 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Cheers. I have a lot of time for Eddie Abbew. He talks a lot of sense, and my diet ain't a million miles from his. Sugar, processed food, chemicals, are really messing with people's health and people absolutely need to wake up to what their doing to themselves and their kids. Eat clean, cook, move around more - it ain't complicated. 

Agreed. So should we all eat eggs?

• Like 2

IMG_4820.jpeg

I thought schools didn't serve that shit anymore after Jamie Oliver's campaign against it? They certainly don't at my daughter's school anyway.

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I thought schools didn't serve that shit anymore after Jamie Oliver's campaign against it? They certainly don't at my daughter's school anyway.

I think there was some confusion implementing menus. "No, not awful, I said offal." 🙂

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Agreed. So should we all eat eggs?

Yep. I live off the things, always have, hence the name. Eggs are one of natures finest gifts. 

19 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't know about schools, but on the way to school, on the way home, at home, these kids are consuming monstrous amounts of sugary and ultra processed shit. Monster drinks, etc, should be banned. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't know about schools, but on the way to school, on the way home, at home, these kids are consuming monstrous amounts of sugary and ultra processed shit. Monster drinks, etc, should be banned. 

Agreed.

52 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. I live off the things, always have, hence the name. Eggs are one of natures finest gifts. 

Unfortunately for me I cannot stand them, just the thought of them turns my stomach which is bad as they are very good for you, I can only just about tolerate and omelette. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Unfortunately for me I cannot stand them, just the thought of them turns my stomach which is bad as they are very good for you, I can only just about tolerate and omelette. 

You poor man. Poached or scrambled eggs on toast is a banging breakfast, have that at least once a week.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, egg said:

There was a program on recently about the amount of young teenage kids who are living off “energy” drinks like Monster. It was frightening. They were getting up in the morning having one, having one on the way to school at lunch time on the way home because their sugar levels are all over the place. They’re getting a hit then crashing then having another one to top up. Like you say they go into shops and the first things they see are donuts, energy drinks, chocolate bars all brightly coloured and attractive. Then there is the brightly coloured “health foods” which label themselves a great source of protein or fibre or contains no added sugar yet are rammed full of shit that is tested to make people eat as much as possible and keep coming back. The 10 years or so has really opened my eyes to how bad it is, my mum died of cancer and she always used to say she thought cancer was caused by shit diets, hers wasn’t great, I thought she meant pesticides on crops and so on but what she met was all the processed shit everyone sticks in their gobs without thinking about it. I have also believed for a long time all the autism and ADHD is caused by kids having way too much sugar and processed shit and sitting on their x-boxes all day. My son is very active plays football 5 days a week and is really fit and we have a healthy diet but some of the kids at school live of coco pops and frozen pizza and chips and pretty much all of them have some sort of issue 

27 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You poor man. Poached or scrambled eggs on toast is a banging breakfast, have that at least once a week.

i wish i liked them salmon, avocado and scrambled eggs on sour dough sounds heaven, apart from the egg bit. I just cant bring myself to even try them

1 hour ago, egg said:

There should be a ban on McDonalds being within a mile of a school.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Thats usually Christmas morning breakfast.

what do eggs taste like? I've never tasted one as i mentioned the idea of them turns my stomach. Everyone says how nice they are so i think i've just got to get on with it.

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

what do eggs taste like? I've tasted on as i mentioned the idea of them turns my stomach. Everyone says how nice they are so i think i've just got to get on with it.

😆 I don’t know. They taste of eggs!

You can’t help what you don’t like.

There was a program on recently about the amount of young teenage kids who are living off “energy” drinks like Monster. It was frightening. They were getting up in the morning having one, having one on the way to school at lunch time on the way home because their sugar levels are all over the place. They’re getting a hit then crashing then having another one to top up. Like you say they go into shops and the first things they see are donuts, energy drinks, chocolate bars all brightly coloured and attractive. Then there is the brightly coloured “health foods” which label themselves a great source of protein or fibre or contains no added sugar yet are rammed full of shit that is tested to make people eat as much as possible and keep coming back. The 10 years or so has really opened my eyes to how bad it is, my mum died of cancer and she always used to say she thought cancer was caused by shit diets, hers wasn’t great, I thought she meant pesticides on crops and so on but what she met was all the processed shit everyone sticks in their gobs without thinking about it. I have also believed for a long time all the autism and ADHD is caused by kids having way too much sugar and processed shit and sitting on their x-boxes all day. My son is very active plays football 5 days a week and is really fit and we have a healthy diet but some of the kids at school live of coco pops and frozen pizza and chips and pretty much all of them have some sort of issue 

Sorry to hear about your mum, but it seems that you've taken her wise words on board. You and your family maintaining a decent diet ain't a bad legacy. 

You mentioned previously about ADHD and diet and at the time I didn't agree. As time goes by I'm encountering more adults diagnosed with ADHD and the common thing amongst them all is diet. All eat sugar by the tonne, all drink monster/red bull, all don't exercise. As much as I recognise ADHD as a genuine issue, I have to wonder if some people diagnosed with ADHD could actually point to diet as the reason for their poor focus and erratic nature. 

Give the eggs a go. Million different ways to eat them, and they contain all the protein and most of the nutrients you'll ever need. I go through a couple of dozen a week, and you'd be amazed how just 3 eggs can fill you and keep you going. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, egg said:

Sorry to hear about your mum, but it seems that you've taken her wise words on board. You and your family maintaining a decent diet ain't a bad legacy. 

You mentioned previously about ADHD and diet and at the time I didn't agree. As time goes by I'm encountering more adults diagnosed with ADHD and the common thing amongst them all is diet. All eat sugar by the tonne, all drink monster/red bull, all don't exercise. As much as I recognise ADHD as a genuine issue, I have to wonder if some people diagnosed with ADHD could actually point to diet as the reason for their poor focus and erratic nature. 

Give the eggs a go. Million different ways to eat them, and they contain all the protein and most of the nutrients you'll ever need. I go through a couple of dozen a week, and you'd be amazed how just 3 eggs can fill you and keep you going. 

And you probably know that a chef’s hat with 100 folds means that he/she knows 100 different ways to cook an egg

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Caviar, I presume?

Far too civilised for me Whitey. I'm a good old fashioned hens egg man, although a duck egg from time to is rather nice. 

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And you probably know that a chef’s hat with 100 folds means that he/she knows 100 different ways to cook an egg

I didn't know that - thanks 👍🥚🍳

I'm the first to admit my diet was shit.  Utter garbage!

Whilst I was exercising in the gym four days per week - last couple of years were strength training, since November it's been pure cardio with 30 min rows + 30 mins cross trainer twice per week and 60 mins cross trainer the other two days per week - and also cycling 70 - 100 miles each weekend, I was kidding myself that I had 'earnt' the treats I was eating.

Roll on 3 herniated lumbar discs, 2 MRIs and a whole suite of blood tests in May, diagnosing pre-diabetes and clogged arteries and I got the kick up the arse I needed!  All the shit has had to go.  Treats are for others and I now eat apples instead!  Meal sizes have been reduced and we generally eat home cooked / prepared meals.  But more importantly no snacking between meals.

15kg have gone since the end of May and another 13 are targetted for the chop!

Back is still fucked - waiting for the next consultation to discuss surgery - but I'm pretty sure the pre-diabetes will be resolved as well as the high cholesterol (have refused to take statins, preferring to manage through weight loss and drinking a plant stenol supplement every day).

Love getting older!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Whilst I was exercising in the gym four days per week - last couple of years were strength training, since November it's been pure cardio with 30 min rows + 30 mins cross trainer twice per week and 60 mins cross trainer the other two days per week - and also cycling 70 - 100 miles each weekend, I was kidding myself that I had 'earnt' the treats I was eating.

Roll on 3 herniated lumbar discs, 2 MRIs and a whole suite of blood tests in May, diagnosing pre-diabetes and clogged arteries and I got the kick up the arse I needed!  All the shit has had to go.  Treats are for others and I now eat apples instead!  Meal sizes have been reduced and we generally eat home cooked / prepared meals.  But more importantly no snacking between meals.

Back is still fucked - waiting for the next consultation to discuss surgery - but I'm pretty sure the pre-diabetes will be resolved as well as the high cholesterol (have refused to take statins, preferring to manage through weight loss and drinking a plant stenol supplement every day).

Love getting older!

Well done. I have surges of kicking the snacks and reducing booze but we fall back often. Fucking discipline

And feel like if doctor gave me some news like you had it would do the trick. A cliche but don’t appreciate your health until it goes.

Edited by whelk

24 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Love getting older!

Good work mate. I know a few people who've had my lumbar surgery (3,4 and 5 commonly go - mine have narrowed a tad but fortunately haven't herniated) and have had a great recovery. Good luck with whatever procedure you need.

Shitty snacks are where I fall down from time to time. I have to be really disciplined if a tube of pringles or bag of haribos is around. Instead, I occasionally treat myself with fruit that I love but don't have every day such as cherries or dates, stuff like that. 

It’s amazing just how much of a difference you can make just by breaking bad habits. I used to have a can of Cola, a Crunch Corner and a chocolate bar with lunch every day, then when I started going to the gym I changed my diet a bit and all that got cut out. I’ll still have unhealthy treats and I’ve never denied myself anything because I’m ‘on a diet’ but it’s very much a case of seeing something I fancy in the supermarket, rather than having it every day just because.

On a slight tangent, I consider myself incredibly lucky that in the quarter of a million years humans have existed I was, by barely a decade or two, born into a generation where electric toothbrushes, fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash are all commonplace.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s amazing just how much of a difference you can make just by breaking bad habits. I used to have a can of Cola, a Crunch Corner and a chocolate bar with lunch every day, then when I started going to the gym I changed my diet a bit and all that got cut out. I’ll still have unhealthy treats and I’ve never denied myself anything because I’m ‘on a diet’ but it’s very much a case of seeing something I fancy in the supermarket, rather than having it every day just because.

On a slight tangent, I consider myself incredibly lucky that in the quarter of a million years humans have existed I was, by barely a decade or two, born into a generation where electric toothbrushes, fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash are all commonplace.

A long while ago I read somewhere that investigators could tell whether a deceased person was left or right handed by the difference in the number of fillings in the left and right of the jaws. A right handed person brushes the left side more than the right and the left will have fewer fillings.

I rushed to the mirror to examine mine and found out that I am right handed.

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Most of them are zero calorie sweeteners now since the sugar tax came in. I rag my daughter about it - 'why do you drink that crap?'  - 'it gives me energy'  'its zero calories'  - yep so I dont get fat....'      Teenagers facts and logic are not a good mix.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Most of them are zero calorie sweeteners now since the sugar tax came in. I rag my daughter about it - 'why do you drink that crap?'  - 'it gives me energy'  'it’s zero calories'  - yep so I dont get fat....'      Teenagers facts and logic are not a good mix.  

The traffic light system we use for healthy foods would have you believe Diet Coke is one of the healthiest drinks on the planet, the reality is somewhat different 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, whelk said:

Well done. I have surges of kicking the snacks and reducing booze but we fall back often. Fucking discipline

And feel like if doctor gave me some news like you had it would do the trick. A cliche but don’t appreciate your health until it goes.

I listened to another podcast this week and the doctor on it said although the average age on the UK is something like 81, the average age of health is 63,  so most people with live the last 18 years of their life with some form of health issue. In our 40s and 50s we have the chance to do something about it but the closer we get the more our chances reduce. It’s really important to eat well, reduce or even eliminate fags, booze and shit food and exercise. The problem is as we get older people exercise less when they need to do more even if it’s just walking and body weight stuff. As the saying goes we don’t stop because we age we age because we stop 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

IMG_4821.jpeg

It’s easy to point fingers but the fact is that most countries have access to some form of junk food but with vastly differing obesity rates. It’s more of a cultural/attitude problem. Bad habits stretch out on a national scale, people for whom a night in with a Deliveroo Dominoes and a bottle of Prosecco is a bog standard weekly occurrence and a triple cream, sugar filled latte is a daily beverage.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s easy to point fingers but the fact is that most countries have access to some form of junk food but with vastly differing obesity rates. It’s more of a cultural/attitude problem. Bad habits stretch out on a national scale, people for whom a night in with a Deliveroo Dominoes and a bottle of Prosecco is a bog standard weekly occurrence and a triple cream, sugar filled latte is a daily beverage.

Genuine question here for everyone. When was the last time a doctor asked you what your diet was like? They always ask if you smoke and how much do you drink but I can never remember anyone asking me or anyone else I know what a typical week looks like. Diabetes and obesity cost the NHS billions, it’s linked to all sorts of illnesses, cancer, dementia, some blindness and amputations, the list goes one and on. The conspiracy theorist in me says the people that make you fat are linked to the people who will sell you a tablet to make it go away when the answer is in stuff that doesn’t make anyone rich. 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Genuine question here for everyone. When was the last time a doctor asked you what your diet was like? They always ask if you smoke and how much do you drink but I can never remember anyone asking me or anyone else I know what a typical week looks like. Diabetes and obesity cost the NHS billions, it’s linked to all sorts of illnesses, cancer, dementia, some blindness and amputations, the list goes one and on. The conspiracy theorist in me says the people that make you fat are linked to the people who will sell you a tablet to make it go away when the answer is in stuff that doesn’t make anyone rich. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's well known that corporate lobbying by the sugar industry suppressed research into the harms of refined sugars in the 1960s, and successfully convinced the western world that fats were the real problem. This led to the rise of ultra-processed 'low fat' foods, which contain an insane amount of sugar to compensate for the lack of flavour caused by the removal of fats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

It really wouldn't surprise me if the same people who carried out this act of global vandalism on public health in the name of profit also had major interests in pharmaceutical companies as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Diabetes and obesity cost the NHS billions, it’s linked to all sorts of illnesses, cancer, dementia, some blindness and amputations, the list goes one and on. The conspiracy theorist in me says the people that make you fat are linked to the people who will sell you a tablet to make it go away when the answer is in stuff that doesn’t make anyone rich. 

It's not conspiracy so much as money - there is more profit in processed food than raw. We live in society that has a much higher percentage of it food / leisure markets controlled by large chains than other countries.   

I heard a claim a few weeks ago that Americans eat less food by volume (indicating it isn't innate greed) than most Europeans but consume more calories because they eat far more processed food - hence the obesity and heath issues. Probably also true of UK.  

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Genuine question here for everyone. When was the last time a doctor asked you what your diet was like? They always ask if you smoke and how much do you drink but I can never remember anyone asking me or anyone else I know what a typical week looks like. Diabetes and obesity cost the NHS billions, it’s linked to all sorts of illnesses, cancer, dementia, some blindness and amputations, the list goes one and on. The conspiracy theorist in me says the people that make you fat are linked to the people who will sell you a tablet to make it go away when the answer is in stuff that doesn’t make anyone rich

Agreed, and I'm not sure that's a conspiracy theory, it's just an acknowledgement that medicine and food are both huge industries, and sales of shite versions of the latter lead to more need for the former. Sad but true. 

Lighthouse makes a good point though. Why, as a society, do we consume what we do? Why don't the masses spend half an hour prepping and knocking up a decent risotto rather than waiting 40 mins for glorified cheese on toast to be delivered? Why a bottle of pop or prosecco rather than a nice San Pellegrino or Bedoit? 

On your first point, I think they're worried about offending fat people and don't have time. 

Both points tell me that we need to educate society better, but the medics aren't incentivised to do their bit. 

State of the nation ain't great. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Agreed, and I'm not sure that's a conspiracy theory, it's just an acknowledgement that medicine and food are both huge industries, and sales of shite versions of the latter lead to more need for the former. Sad but true. 

Lighthouse makes a good point though. Why, as a society, do we consume what we do? Why don't the masses spend half an hour prepping and knocking up a decent risotto rather than waiting 40 mins for glorified cheese on toast to be delivered? Why a bottle of pop or prosecco rather than a nice San Pellegrino or Bedoit? 

On your first point, I think they're worried about offending fat people and don't have time. 

Both points tell me that we need to educate society better, but the medics aren't incentivised to do their bit. 

State of the nation ain't great. 

Do they still teach cooking in schools?

Back in the 60's it was called Domestic Science and I remember the girls coming back to class with delicious-looking pies and cakes which they didn't let us taste.

1 hour ago, egg said:

I was thinking of that too, as I put a baked potato in the microwave. 🙂

Cooking is relaxing (I don't do anything that complicated). I could listen to a podcast/ radio, talk away, or multi task in the kitchen, read.

The meal will taste much better than anything bought. My system will appreciate it.

I usually do enough for a leftovers meal, so I don't have to spend time on a future meal.

I don't do it anywhere near often enough, though.

Factors that might stop people doing it:

Poor sleeping, diet, exercise, work/life stress and being hard wired for quick calories/additives/sugars may all help contribute to getting it done as quickly as possible. Or might just mess up your body clock and it's desire for food.

Juggling work/life balance, family etc and just not being a time management machine might all contribute, depending on the person.

And it all feeds back into each other. That's not even brining in costs of ingredients/ energy etc.

Thinking back to previous generations, there wasn't the same level of distraction from TV, social media (not my posts, obviously), gaming getting in the way.

For me:

Block off the time to cook; Plan ahead, so everything is on hand; have something else to do while cooking (even if it's watching/listening to something that would take up time later); make it interesting to try new things; once in a while it's fine to get a fish supper as a change from the cooking, or eat out.

Combine with the tried and tested no snacks, hydrate, get some steps and fresh air and turn off devices well before a decent bed time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Do they still teach cooking in schools?

Back in the 60's it was called Domestic Science and I remember the girls coming back to class with delicious-looking pies and cakes which they didn't let us taste.

I got it in school, before getting to switch it out for something else. My brother made something egg based, that he forgot to take out of his bag over some holidays. The fumes of it are now classed as a chemical weapon, now banned by all civilised nations. Rumours abound of rogue nations, setting up home eccy kitchens to replicate it. 🙂