Mike Lynch/His mate

egg

Both acquited of $20bn fraud in June, one killed in a hit and run at the weekend, the others boat sunk yesterday. Two unfortunate accidents and coincidentally close in time, or Russian's from window? 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

a truly amazing coincidence.

Sad for the innocent people caught up in it though. Isn't his 18 year old daughter missing?

Yes, his daughter missing, and a few others. Strange/sad carry on. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Both acquited of $20bn fraud in June, one killed in a hit and run at the weekend, the others boat sunk yesterday. Two unfortunate accidents and coincidentally close in time, or Russian's from window? 

You suspect HP have taken it up a notch?

An added twist for conspiracy nuts, the missing lawyer, Chris Morvillo, was one of the prosecutors after the September 11th attacks on the WTC, and Johnathan Bloomer was a defence witness in Lynch's fraud trial.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you can bump somebody off by getting a tornado to hit their yacht then fair play, that’s a whole new level of Bond villain-esq assassination. Maybe Tiss is right, the government do control the weather.

That's the bit that seems kosher, but his mate getting killed first is blooming odd. 

I'm not diminishing the impact on family etc but there seems to be excessive media coverage for this. Boats are going down and people losing their lives every day in the Med.  Difference is this was a posh boat with rich people on board.  Small boats crammed with desperate refugees don't even warrant a line but this story occupies top three slots on BBC website currently and all over the papers.  Current chart topping headline is they found the body of the chef FFS.

Trying to think of a two-tier slogan to sum up my point but can't get anything to rhyme.

14 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I'm not diminishing the impact on family etc but there seems to be excessive media coverage for this. Boats are going down and people losing their lives every day in the Med.  Difference is this was a posh boat with rich people on board.  Small boats crammed with desperate refugees don't even warrant a line but this story occupies top three slots on BBC website currently and all over the papers.  Current chart topping headline is they found the body of the chef FFS.

Trying to think of a two-tier slogan to sum up my point but can't get anything to rhyme.

Boats with refugees leaving from Piers get coverage but millionaire boats do. Two Tier Pier?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

And yet you know it’s happening all the time, which kind of suggests the BIB isn’t true. News is news, it’s largely based on what’s perceived to be new and til grab people’s attention, not some sort of ethical scale of what’s the most tragic and meaningful event of the week. If it was the latter, the main story on the six o’clock news would probably have been deaths from heart disease, every day for the last twenty years.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

And yet you know it’s happening all the time, which kind of suggests the BIB isn’t true. News is news, it’s largely based on what’s perceived to be new and til grab people’s attention, not some sort of ethical scale of what’s the most tragic and meaningful event of the week. If it was the latter, the main story on the six o’clock news would probably have been deaths from heart disease, every day for the last twenty years.

You're right sadly.  I'm not suggesting it should be reported and no doubt it will grab attention.  It's just the sheer amount of it that I noticed.  Before delving into it I had assumed it was someone really famous or that it was murder.  I suspect the people who decide what's going to grab our attention operate in these circles far more than I do and for them it's obviously more interesting than it is for me.  BTW - top BBC headline currently tells me that the chef was saving money to restore his late parents' house - which I agree with you is new.  I'm wondering if they'll do a feature on the wallpaper he was considering? (before anyone attacks me I'm not having a go at the chef - it's clearly a tragedy for his family)

I can’t believe coverage it is getting. Obviously it is a headline but not for two days. Silly season but what more can be said? It is tragic and I couldn’t give a fuck how rich they were. 

I remember the relatives of the caretaker stabbed to death in Nottingham raising issue of coverage that bloke in 60s v all the focus being on good looking students. Sad reality of news coverage.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, whelk said:

I can’t believe coverage it is getting. Obviously it is a headline but not for two days. Silly season but what more can be said? It is tragic and I couldn’t give a fuck how rich they were. 

I remember the relatives of the caretaker stabbed to death in Nottingham raising issue of coverage that bloke in 60s v all the focus being on good looking students. Sad reality of news coverage.

You also get it the other way though where loads of people say they deserved it or they're happy they died because they were rich. I know it's slightly different but loads of people were almost gloating when the deep water sub exploded and everyone on board died. That sounded horrendous to me on a human level even if they did have more money than sense. 

19 hours ago, whelk said:

well that mini sub got lots of coverage also billionaires

19 hours ago, whelk said:

Considering the amount of coverage celebrity minge-for-hire Katie Price has had over the last 25 years, I think we can safely conclude that commercial media is not a good barometer for what’s important in life.

• Like 4

On 20/08/2024 at 21:58, hypochondriac said:

You also get it the other way though where loads of people say they deserved it or they're happy they died because they were rich. I know it's slightly different but loads of people were almost gloating when the deep water sub exploded and everyone on board died. That sounded horrendous to me on a human level even if they did have more money than sense. 

Not sure it was gloating - more incredulity that someone rich and successful would throw their lives away because they didn't do even basic due diligence of the sub, safety and company.