Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread

Lighthouse

56 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

First home game of the season. Never felt so unenthusiastic and meh about a new season. 

Anyone else feeling the same, or just me? 

Always up for the first home game of a new season, the bubble can usually burst by around 5pm most seasons but feeling optimistic today and we're only 3 points off the top of the table...

These are the games we're certainly going to need to pick up points and get most of our wins so hope everyone is well up for it for the full 90 mins. Bring the noise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Sorry read that wrong .. thought you after iptv firestick 

Got one of those and know how to set up the app. I'm just looking for a provider. There's so many out there it's impossible to know who to go with without a solid recommendation. 

Still got two spare Tkts in the Northam Wall

50 for the pair or will split into two singles at 30 each.

You have to have the new tkt app and I transfer them via your email address.

I don’t expect any money until the Tkts are safely on your phone!

2 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Lots to build on, if we play like that every week we will beat better teams than Forest.

"If it wasn't for that silly mistake from McCarthy we'd have easily won the game" 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

"If it wasn't for that silly mistake from McCarthy we'd have easily won the game" 

People keep banging on about that mistake, but if we'd taken a couple of the 19 shots we had it wouldn't have mattered. Forward line just as responsible for Newcastle defeat as the keeper. 

• Like 9

Players will arrive at 12.45 to no pyrotechnic and very well restrained polite round of applause from the smattering of fans present. 

Once inside respectful supporters will lift there little placards en masse at c 14.55 to reveal a massive mosaic tifo revealing the immortal words

🎼“When I was just a little boy…”🎼

😂😇

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Would like RM to revert to 4 at the back for this one. The team i'd like to see below, but imagine will be unchanged from Newcastle.

McCarthy

Sugawara THB Bednarek KWP

Downes

Smallbone Aribo

Arma Archer BBD

I was thinking 4 at the back too but our wing backs were so good against Newcastle, so can see why he'd keep it the same. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

I was thinking 4 at the back too but our wing backs were so good against Newcastle, so can see why he'd keep it the same. 

Agreed. Another option too allow the FB's forward would be Downes and Les sitting deep, but can't imagine we'll see this until Les is up to speed

25 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Lots to build on, if we play like that every week we will beat better teams 

50 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Still got two spare Tkts in the Northam Wall

50 for the pair or will split into two singles at 30 each.

You have to have the new tkt app and I transfer them via your email address.

I don’t expect any money until the Tkts are safely on your phone!

@sandwichsaint let me speak to my mate, if they’re still available I’ll get straight back to you. I have the app.

35 minutes ago, JRM said:

People keep banging on about that mistake, but if we'd taken a couple of the 19 shots we had it wouldn't have mattered. Forward line just as responsible for Newcastle defeat as the keeper. 

That’s not actually true.

That mistake meant that Newcastle could sit deep and concentrate on defence. Or are we going to have to rely on scoring two or three goals in every away game?

Just now, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Guess we'll now always be attacking the Northam second half - ain't it meant to be sunny when the season starts?

That can only happen if we win the toss at every home game.

It has become a convention that if an away team wins they choose to attack towards their own fans in the second half. Sometimes they might choose not to if, for example, the angle of the sun affects the goalkeeper’s sight.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

That can only happen if we win the toss at every home game.

It has become a convention that if an away team wins they choose to attack towards their own fans in the second half. Sometimes they might choose not to if, for example, the angle of the sun affects the goalkeeper’s sight.

Yeah, I'm assuming if the away team wins the toss they'll want to attack towards their own fans second half which is the norm. If anything we may have given ourselves a disadvantage as the keeper at the Northam end suffers most with sun in the first half most of the time. Little chance of that being a problem today though...

• Like 1

Will be So much better for us kicking into the Northam second  half.  IF noisy fan support is required to fight back or hang on they will get it far more from newNortham wall than was achievable last year, sun or no sun. 
it can work the other way of course but the opposition will certainly hear the noise as ball gets close to there goal. More chance if that 12th man narrative actually aiding us this EPL season unlike last time.  Interesting to compare it. 

Whether we play a 5 or a 4, our style of ‘defend the centre of the pitch at all costs‘ defending often allows wide men or full backs to cross into the box unopposed. Think this could be a problem with the quality of their wide men and Chris Wood, so hope we try to get out to them a bit more today. 

Think the atmosphere will be febrile despite the weather. Expect cards. Red(s) also. Saints cannot show lack of passion first match back. Think this inevitably means cards. I’ve bought bookings on Spreadex to back up my hunch. 

Edited by gio1saints

Soo looking forward to this today, Forster home game of the season. Hopefully we can make the atmosphere as electric as it wasnin the play off semi final second leg 😊 2-0 to us with Brereton-Diaz and Alcaraz scoring COYR 😊

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Unchanged first XI

Les and Fernades on bench.

Looks pretty much expected team, good to see KWP might be staying. A number missing from the squad who appear to be off, beginning to wonder if we are letting Manning go as well.

Southampton XI: McCarthy, Harwood-Bellis, Bednarek, Stephens, Sugawara, Smallbone, Downes, Aribo, Walker-Peters, Armstrong, Brereton Diaz.

Subs: Lumley, Taylor, Bree, Ugochukwu, Fernandes, Dibling, Edozie, Amo-Ameyaw, Archer.

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Agreed, thought he looked good, not sure why he’s not in the squad.

Taylor can cover at centre back as well as fullback so I'm guessing that's why Wood misses out.

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

Alcaraz must be off then 

Not necessarily. If he’s been subject to speculation and involved in discussions then they’d say he hasn’t been focussed and his head is elsewhere. 

What he chooses to do remains to be seen.

I’m inclined to agree witn you though, which is a shame as he offers something when called upon, not least a bit of energy and willingness to have a shot from outside the box. The others just want  to pass it sideways. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Hopefully we can shift TP, KS and ABK before deadline. 

Might be too late for us to benefit and bring anyone in this window. A few funds for January perhaps. 

Can’t see anyone paying for Sulemana though, a loan at best. 

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

Taylor can cover at centre back as well as fullback so I'm guessing that's why Wood misses out.

Not bothered about Wood, I want to see Edwards in the squad. Looks twice the player. Dont see why he couldn’t be in for Bree

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

I’m inclined to agree witn you though, which is a shame as he offers something when called upon, not least a bit of energy and willingness to have a shot from outside the box. The others just want  to pass it sideways. 

Agreed. I get that RM has tactics but sometimes a player needs to take a shot or try something to open up the other team. Mix it up a bit, keep the opposition on their toes.

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not bothered about Wood, I want to see Edwards in the squad. Looks twice the player. Dont see why he couldn’t be in for Bree

In fairness I think Bree could play RB or LB if needed. But agree re Edwards ( and Wood for that matter). 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic