Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Expect Forest to play a front 3, 2 quickies out wide, so expect us to set up as a back 4.  Question we'll see answered is whether Russell sees Suga as being capable of defending against Hudson-Odoi, plenty to like about Suga going forward.  Elanga on the right also poses a threat with pace, if Suga is not trusted yet then KWP goes RB and either Stephens or Taylor on the left.  

Barry Gibbs-White v Flynniesta could decide the game.

Is it only Wednesday??  FFS hurry up Saturday!

Saw Forest beat United 2-1 last season and thought they looked quick and powerful on the break. Sangare, Gibbs-White, Elanga, Hudson-Odio, Awoniyi and Wood would probably all make our first XI. Will be an interesting measure of where we stand.

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Will Bereton-Diaz be ok to play after the concussion he suffered last weekend?

Where is this idea that BBD has suffered concussion. The laws clearly state that a player has to be substituted under the concussion substitution if this occurs. He clearly was not assessed as concussed during the Newcastle game. 

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Where is this idea that BBD has suffered concussion. The laws clearly state that a player has to be substituted under the concussion substitution if this occurs. He clearly was not assessed as concussed during the Newcastle game. 

I think it’s a joke…

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Team for Saturday??????????
                                          Subs
1. GK ????????                 ?????????
2. Sugawara
3. KWP                              Taylor
4. Downes                        Ugochukwa
5. Bednerak                      Stephens
6. THB
7. AA                                  SAA
8. Smallbone                     Rodrigues
9. Archer
10. Aribo
11. BBD                               Edioze

Assuming seven subs on the bench which means no place for
                                            Manning/Dibling/Wood/Edwards/Bree and Alcarez or Charles who are likely to be off.
                                            However it may be that the two new signings will need more than a week to bed in.

3 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

WHOOSH! Mind you, it would be top trolling of Newcastle if he couldn't play for some other reason and we then claimed concussion..

• Haha 1

Apparently visiting fans arriving at Central will be guided down Poundtree Road (luckily the Warrens closed a few years ago…🥴), through the parks and past St Mary’s church. Guess the return trek will be the same.

They still haven’t sold out but should bring a good crowd, this is what one of them thinks…

”Need to be well up for this match
Will be like a Cup Final for Southampton

😄

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Subs
1. GK ????????                 ?????????
2. Sugawara
4. Downes                        Ugochukwa
5. Bednerak                      Stephens
6. THB
7. AA                                  SAA
8. Smallbone                     Rodrigues
9. Archer
10. Aribo
11. BBD                               Edioze

Assuming seven subs on the bench which means no place for
                                            Manning/Dibling/Wood/Edwards/Bree and Alcarez or Charles who are likely to be off.
                                            However it may be that the two new signings will need more than a week to bed in.

Who is Rodrigues?!?

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Subs
1. GK - McCarthy              Lumley / New GK
2. Sugawara                     Archer
4. Stephens                       
5. Bednerak                      
6. THB
7. AA                                   Dibling
8. Ugochukwa                   Smallbone                     
9. Downes                         
10. Aribo                             Fernandes
11. BBD                               Edozie

Fixed it for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

I see the ever southampton positive Chris Sutton has given his two pence worth. Such a negative cock.https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/chris-sutton-forest-southampton-prediction-9503189

Don’t see much wrong with his prediction tbh. We've got a lot to prove still.

One thing I did take umbrage with;

Reds supporters will take confidence from the fact Forest have avoided defeat in their last six outings away at Southampton (at The Dell or St Mary’s)

Must have dreamt the 3-2 home win in our promotion season.

Edited by ErwinK1961

8 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Apparently visiting fans arriving at Central will be guided down Poundtree Road (luckily the Warrens closed a few years ago…🥴), through the parks and past St Mary’s church. Guess the return trek will be the same.

They still haven’t sold out but should bring a good crowd, this is what one of them thinks…

😄

If it is a cup final v Forest I think we know how that ends, a 3-2 defeat , at least Brian Clough isn't their manager still 

16 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Just watched the video of the presser. What was the video clip of RM that they were talking and laughing about? Listened 2 or 3 times but couldn't make out what they were on about.

He (RM) was saying that he showed the players a clip of himself from his own playing days which demonstrated how not to defend. 

58 minutes ago, There when Franny scored said:

With the very heavy rain due tomorrow and the weather warning is there any chance the game could be off?

Or am I just being paranoid because this is one of the very rare games I can actually attend!

Unless there is loads of thunder or something I would say almost no chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, There when Franny scored said:

With the very heavy rain due tomorrow and the weather warning is there any chance the game could be off?

Or am I just being paranoid because this is one of the very rare games I can actually attend!

I remember a few seasons ago, travelling to SMS for a game. It had been raining cats and dogs overnight and all morning. I said to my daughter that I was a bit surprised that the game was on. We entered the stadium to find that the pitch sprinklers were on watering the pitch! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, There when Franny scored said:

The merest chance of that is if the heavy rain coincides with high spring tides inundating drains reducing the rate of flow into the sea - Tomorrow the rain looks to be easing from 1pm and high tide is just after 3pm.

The only time that a game has been called off due to rain was a night game v Palace Donkeys years ago, for the very reasons above. Also the under pitch drainage pump wasn't connected because the drainage infrastructure out side the ground couldn't cope with the potential volume of water. In a book I have about the building of St Marys from when it was new there was mention that the pump could handle as much as 8" of rain an hour (something you are only likely to see in the tropics). 

Hood down......anorak off! 🤪

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

The merest chance of that is if the heavy rain coincides with high spring tides inundating drains reducing the rate of flow into the sea - Tomorrow the rain looks to be easing from 1pm and high tide is just after 3pm.

The only time that a game has been called off due to rain was a night game v Palace Donkeys years ago, for the very reasons above. Also the under pitch drainage pump wasn't connected because the drainage infrastructure out side the ground couldn't cope with the potential volume of water. In a book I have about the building of St Marys from when it was new there was mention that the pump could handle as much as 8" of rain an hour (something you are only likely to see in the tropics). 

What a fantastic reply, thank you 

29 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I remember a game we had at Chelsea a long time ago. I collected my daughter from Reading University and we drove to the ground the rain all day was Biblical with continuous thunder and lightning and we knew that the game could not go ahead. 

We even bought a programme and got inside the ground but and got to the top of the steps only to be told that we could go to our seats but that the game had been called off. We still have that programme for a game that never happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, There when Franny scored said:

No

Premier League games postponed due to a brief period of rain on the day of the game are extremely rare. Pitches in 2024 are well drained compared to the past.

The weather tomorrow isn't that bad (BBC weather says light rain from midday), especially as there hasn't been much rain this week to saturate the pitch.

Edited by Matthew Le God

My fear is that we could repeat what we did in our relegation season ie: put in a good, hopeful performance against one of the top teams only to be followed by a poor performance against a lesser team. I really hope not.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

No

Premier League games postponed due to a brief period of rain on the day of the game are extremely rare. Pitches in 2024 are well drained compared to the past.

The weather tomorrow isn't that bad (BBC weather says light rain from midday), especially as there hasn't been much rain this week to saturate the pitch.

I think weather will clear up, bigger issue will be actually getting to the game with some big cruise ships in and southampton gay pride parade , worth allowing a bit more time than usual 

45 minutes ago, die Mannyschaft said:

Saints 2-0.

Anyone know if season ticket holders have a discount voucher for the store? Do we still get 10% off or has that gone as can only see food and drink voucher in ticket app.

Sadly unless you bought one of those bolt-on packages no 10% in the store 😒

• Sad 1

On 22/08/2024 at 14:40, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

😄

My god. How far we’ve fallen when Forest fans are thinking that!

I have two spare tickets for tomorrow, very late change of plans and can’t travel.

Northam Wall!, Block 43 row R

Face value is 36.5 with booking fee,

Will take 70 for the pair, can transfer in the tkt app this evening.

45 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Really hoping we don't go 5 at the back.  No need to be this defensive at home.

Unfortunately, can't see him benching any of THB, JB or JS so one of them will probably be starting FB

Well it should be 

Suga - THB - Bednarek - Taylor / KWP

but it’ll probably have shoehorn in there somewhere! 

8 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Really hoping we don't go 5 at the back.  No need to be this defensive at home.

Unfortunately, can't see him benching any of THB, JB or JS so one of them will probably be starting FB

It's not defensive. When we have the ball Stephens goes into midfield, Aribo goes very high and the full backs have licence to go pretty much anywhere. 

It's more fluid and probably more creative than the 433 we used to play, where the wide players would often get isolated and we would struggle to find space between the opposition midfield and defence, plus we look much more solid at the back.

Please watch more closely.

18 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

First home game of the season. Never felt so unenthusiastic and meh about a new season. 

Anyone else feeling the same, or just me? 

I’m the opposite, I’m hoping for that Aston Villa moment from 2012 today!

30 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

First home game of the season. Never felt so unenthusiastic and meh about a new season. 

Anyone else feeling the same, or just me? 

Not really. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sooner or later our Phoenix will rise again from the ashes so why not now when we have the element of surprise with our ultra-dynamic Russball.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic