Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Positives from this, hard to give any. If we persist in playing championship/league one standard players then we will,lose every week. We need a keeper. We can carry one but can not play both of Stephens and Jan. can not play Smallbone. Edoze shouldn’t be anywhere near a prem squad let alone on the pitch. We did not threaten, could not defend and were 2nd best. No arguement about the score_  we are not in trouble yet, but unless there is a drastic rethink in Tatics and personnel we will be. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We had other options. My problem with Stephens is that he just holds up our game and robs it of any momentum. If I had my way he wouldn’t have been out there from the start.

I’m not sure what was wrong with THB. He seemed a bit ’off’ all game.

We had no other options for a back 4 other than keeping THB or Stephens on. As you agree that THB had a poor game, I'm not sure why you disagree that he was correct CB to be sacrificed, or what the alternative was. 

Not good enough and that’s both manager and players.

Wrong set up, once again as a result of shoe horning Stephens in. Five at the back left the midfield weakened and outnumbered as it certainly wasn’t 3 at the back with the full backs pushing on.

Our only player of real quality was stifled at left back (and looked so much better when he finally switched to the right).

Downes was ok but both Smallbone and Aribo looked out of their depth and it looked as they both knew it as they were too shy to show themselves when we had the ball. 

Upfront we had two players hugging the respective touchlines with absolutely no threat through the middle.

Forest looked good, but much of that was how we let them look good.

Got to go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 (or some variation with a back four) with KWP at right back and a left footer on the other side (if the ex Burnley player isn’t fancied to start, then why did we buy him?).

Midfield has to include the new lad from Chelsea to provide some steel and even then we need someone else in there.

We need someone upfront, either giving Armstrong or Brereton a chance through the middle (if not, we need something else up top).

We set up all wrong and were easily second best in the first half. Marginally better in the second half, but changes were left too late and by then the game was lost.

If we made Forest look good, then it’s going to be a very long season!!!

Edited by um pahars
  • Like 20

Too many touches in the opposition box. Why do players need to put foot on ball,  take 2 or 3 touches then pass back or sideways? A player facing the  goal at 18 or 14 yards out should be shooting at any angle. Need 2 strikers and a winger ASAP. TD was superb he knows how to play football going past players.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, egg said:

We had no other options for a back 4 other than keeping THB or Stephens on. As you agree that THB had a poor game, I'm not sure why you disagree that he was correct CB to be sacrificed, or what the alternative was. 

Take both off?

If you look at our signings with prem experience we've bought a Burnley defender who got relegated, two attackers from one of the worst attacks in the history of the league abd Lallana whose injured and will play a bit part role for the rest of the season. It doesn't bode well when we have people deriding Ipswich for their lack of prem experience. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I'm not sure on the Stephens bashing today. He did nothing wrong, and was probably our more passable player with the ball.

THB had an absolute disaster class, so his sub made total sense. 

I think most appreciate that he's not a superstar, but the piling in on him when he didn't evne do anything wrong is incredibly tiresome. There were many other players more benefiting to a rant. Not that anyone deserves really ranting about at this stage.

Stephens did nothing wrong today, he did surge forwards a few times too. And he gives a shit.

Downes was his go-go-gadget self, although he did concede possession a worrying number of times. Top foul, too.

McCarthy did nothing wrong and a few things right, he even looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, albeit against modest opposition.

THB was not at it today; he had a right rant at Sugawara at one point, despite the latter having done nothing wrong.

It would seem that I am in a minority of one, but I thought KWP had a bit of a mare today.

Smallbone is not a top-league player; he can read a game and has some nice touches, but his body-shape is all wrong when he receives the ball, he is physically weak and he was consistently robbed.

Armstrong isn't going to cut it; so many attempted nutmegs - you're not in the Championship now, sonny, the big boys don't let that happen, unless you are Bukayo Saka.

Diaz looks like he could be a handful, if deployed correctly.

Didn't see enough of the late substitutes to form an opinion.

Not sure what Aribo is supposed to be.

• Like 3

So early days and no need to panic yet but we're entitled to be disappointed after that performance. So we now know where we stand, which is not a surprise for many - I think Forest are better than relegation candidates under Nunos, they're comfortable mid-table - but they were so markedly superior from beginning to end I was surprised. That is one of the most comfortable 0-1 away wins they'll have. Should have been more.

For us it should dispel any myth that we have enough to survive in the PL - we need a top class GK, much more bite up front and energy booster ball-winners in midfield. 

Forest gave every other away team the playbook against us which is simply to press high and wait for us to cough up mistakes which we do with regular predictability. We simply cannot be such a predictable one-trick / only-trick play it out of the back even if we're hedged in to our own corner pony when we don't have the ability to execute it.

Too many Championship / marginal PL players...

Smallbone - why? Just why? I counted 6 giveaways in a 20-minute period. He turns backwards every time. Yet he's the last to be subbed-off.

Martin, way too slow to make subs when it was clear their goal was coming and we needed a boost of energy.

Dibbling and Fernandes looked good when they came on.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 3

There was a startling lack of quality right throughout the side, only KWP really looks like a PL player. Love what Arma did last season but he is so clearly not PL quality and several others looked out of their depth. Absolutely nothing up front, we so badly need a focal point in attack or it's hard to see where the goals are coming from.

Very early days so not worth losing too much sleep over but it was a worrying performance.

21 minutes ago, SaveloyMush said:

It would seem that I am in a minority of one, but I thought KWP had a bit of a mare today.

I'm with you there. I thought he flattered to deceive today, had some mazy runs but got caught in possession a few times. Also I've thought for awhile with him that there's no doubt he is a class footballer but more often than not he doesn't look up when he's on a run to see if he can release the ball a bit quicker. For me he seems to hold onto it just that little bit too long. 

On my stream the taters mentioned that Forest hadn't kept a clean sheet away from home since October 2023.

If we couldn't even make a decent chance against a team with that record then a serious rethink is needed. Hopefully Martin realises that and adapts his philosophy (won't happen).

The difference this season when playing 3 centre backs is we have surrendered the Che Adams player for an extra midfielder -  I assume to be more trickier to breakdown.

maybe once everyone is upto speed we should go to 4-2-3-1 with Lesley and Flynn as the two with Armstrong BBD and a more trickier (Dibling even) as the 3. Get a proper centre forward in to lead the line.

If KWP goes then get a proper left back in too. 

• Like 1

Now, that was a lot more disappointing than last week, unfortunately. Too slow and too predictable and ultimately we didn't even test the Nottingham Forest goalkeeper, at home.

Think we need to start phasing players like Smallbone and Aribo out of the starting eleven and using Stephens as a rotation option with the best centre-back duo being Bednarek and Harwood-Bellis, even if the latter did have a bit of a shocker today. Adam Armstrong would also be included in this, but we don't have an alternative, despite him proving in the first two games that he is a top end Championship player who can't make the step up. McCarthy will also be replaced, although he did the basics well today. Last time, Adkins knew his captain of two years Dean Hammond wouldn't be able to make the step up, as well as Billy Sharp, who he had some affinity to having manged him earlier in his career. Chaplow and Richardson were also pretty much left out after strong Championship seasons and Kelvin Davis was given a few appearances before that error became clear. Hell, Rickie Lambert was even benched for the opening game against Manchester City and he needed to prove himself to be good enough for the Premier League despite his heroic status. Martin needs to be a lot less accommodating regarding who he plays at the level he's asking them to if he wants to be a successful manager and if Ugochukwu and Fernandes aren't better than Smallbone and Aribo then our recruitment has got it wrong again.

On that topic, I don't see why flare players disgust Martin. They're the players that are the difference between winning a game and losing. Last season we had S. Armstrong, Smallbone and Downes in our midfield. Aribo was only a squad player in the Championship, usually coming on at the end of games to help us see them out and then he got an extended run in the side at the end of the season because of Armstrong's injury. He only made 16 starts last season and 8 of them came from April and afterwards, and now he's starting for us in the Premier League and he's a completely different player to Stuart Armstrong, so he isn't giving us the creativity, or running that Armstrong gave. Now, Armstrong also wasn't perfect, he didn't always keep the ball and was probably the worst culprit last season for giving up possession, so I don't know why Alcaraz is now so frowned upon. Okay, Smallbone's passing stats are a lot better than Alcaraz', but that's because Smallbone doesn't try anything other than short, sideways and backwards passes. Whereas, Alcaraz' first thoughts are to move forwards with the ball and he will attempt the killer pass. It doesn't always come off, more often that not it doesn't, but one day it will and will win us a game. Yet, he's the one being sold.

And then we have the subs issue, again. Forest were getting the better of the game, but Martin does nothing, only until Forest go a goal up and then we bring on Edozie, who's hopeless and Archer.

Really demoralising today and it's going to be harder to attract quality players for the remainder of the window with today's result.

• Like 11

Where are the goals coming from in this squad ?

Armstrong is not a Premier league capable player.

Jack Stephens is shite, again not up to this level why Martin persists on shoe Horning him into the squad is baffling..... 

Smallbone and Aribo both need upgrading.

We are not Man City so why even attempt to play like them?

Might aswell switch it up put a focal point up top we have one right? Tall Paul give him a run out get the balls in the box and let's see what he is capable of !

Lastly why are we selling Alcarez? Exactly what we are missing in this team a midfield who actually has a bit of forward drive and technical ability...

• Like 3

Really dissapointing result today especially considering that was a winnable fixture. Still very early into the season. I thought that KWP, Sugawara, Downes, Stephens and McCarthy all played well. Dibling was great when he came on and Fernandes looked good when he came on too. It's vital we get a number nine in before the window closes.

Edited by davefizzy14

We just need to be better than 3 teams. 

That’s all. Forest will likely be mid table like 14th or something with this squad and manager. 

If we can beat Ipswich, Leicester and Everton and steal some unexpected points in a few places we can do it. 

Although tbh id rather go down. PL is so boring as a skint club.  

• Like 1

Selling Alcaraz really is fucking mental. The one player who showed something the year we got relegated. Absolutely batshit crazy that Martin can’t find a position for him in this shower of shit.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Where are the goals coming from in this squad ?

Armstrong is not a Premier league capable player.

Jack Stephens is shite, again not up to this level why Martin persists on shoe Horning him into the squad is baffling..... 

Smallbone and Aribo both need upgrading.

We are not Man City so why even attempt to play like them?

Might aswell switch it up put a focal point up top we have one right? Tall Paul give him a run out get the balls in the box and let's see what he is capable of !

Lastly why are we selling Alcarez? Exactly what we are missing in this team a midfield who actually has a bit of forward drive and technical ability...

Diaz and Armstrong have a total of 10 premier league goals between them.. how the club expect to be competitive with stats like this I’ve no idea… we were gash today.

Edited by madge
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Selling Alcaraz really is fucking mental. The one player who showed something the year we got relegated. Absolutely batshit crazy that Martin can’t find a position for him in this shower of shit.

I do feel like it’s opposite of the Carrillo signing… Getting rid of a good player to keep a mediocre manager happy is just as bad as signing players to keep a mediocre manager happy.

Add it to the list of crazy decisions - like not playing our 6ft 8 striker when we are desperate for a goal. Or sticking with a keeper for months that has lettuce wrists. 

Mad decision making all around this club. Fuck knows how we got promoted tbh 😂

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Unless of course he can’t settle and wants to be closer to home. I’d have understood him wanting to go to Spain, Italy or another UK club, but the move to Flamengo doesn’t seem an upwards one to me.

Of course he might have felt more at home if the manager had  done a better job in making use of his talents and integrated him into the team. One of our better players and offers more of a threat than most. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread
1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

What was with the traffic in Southampton today? Came off the M3 and down the Avenue at 11,30  into total gridlock. Know that Pride was on, but that has happened before without the same effect.

There was an accident, involving a bus and 2 cars, southbound, on the Avenue, near Golf Course Road at around that time. It caused long tailbacks in both directions.

The way we’re lining up is horrific. With BBD and Arma so wide, the wingbacks are basically blocked from progressing forward and just become full-backs. And we have nothing attacking centrally which is where most goals are created and (obviously) scored, and the centre midfield gets dominated. 

I can’t work out what we’re trying to achieve with this team structure. If we want 5 at the back, play 3 midfielders plus two attackers centrally (one can drop deeper). Let the wingbacks attack. That approach gives far better pitch control both offensively and in defence.

I guess it’s out of fear against better teams than last season which is sad. I’d hoped Martin would approach the EPL with some belief and we’d play our way and have the confidence to play like we know we can win. But honestly it’s like they line the team up thinking all other teams are better and we go into games to try to stop them. 

• Like 1

I'd love to stay up with Martin playing this way but I'd be just as happy playing shite football and keeping us up which would allow us to spend a lot more and increase our chances of survival in future. Sticking to this method of playing with less money to buy players compared to almost every other team in the league just means we can't really compete. 

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

Unless of course he can’t settle and wants to be closer to home. I’d have understood him wanting to go to Spain, Italy or another UK club, but the move to Flamengo doesn’t seem an upwards one to me.

Of course he might have felt more at home if the manager had  done a better job in making use of his talents and integrated him into the team. One of our better players and offers more of a threat than most. 

Does seem like an odd move and we could do with him yo add some attacking flair , discussing today we used to have Brooks, Ryan Fraser, Stu Armstrong who could travel with the ball , missing those and we just look so so slow on the attack

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, SaintlyAnd said:

The way we’re lining up is horrific. With BBD and Arma so wide, the wingbacks are basically blocked from progressing forward and just become full-backs. And we have nothing attacking centrally which is where most goals are created and (obviously) scored, and the centre midfield gets dominated. 

I can’t work out what we’re trying to achieve with this team structure. If we want 5 at the back, play 3 midfielders plus two attackers centrally (one can drop deeper). Let the wingbacks attack. That approach gives far better pitch control both offensively and in defence.

I guess it’s out of fear against better teams than last season which is sad. I’d hoped Martin would approach the EPL with some belief and we’d play our way and have the confidence to play like we know we can win. But honestly it’s like they line the team up thinking all other teams are better and we go into games to try to stop them. 

Good point. He made a big show up about bravery and about how we were going to approach the prem the same way as the championship and then he shows zero bravery and largely changes how we approached the championship because seemingly we are scared of losing. 

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Alcaraz reputation has really dined out on the four goals he scored in the PL last time. In 18 months he really has delivered very little else. Like it or not, we got more Championship goals from Rothwell in a similar position last year and nobody wants him back. He’s clearly got technique but just doesn’t look comfortable in English football. If we get a good offer for him we should take it.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Ipswich's recruitment makes ours look like amateur hour. 

I maintain, I don't think their recruitment is any better than ours. We've made punts that could work, they've made punts that could work. I don't think either club stay up at the end of the season but what we've both done is strengthen our teams for the next promotion push. 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Alcaraz reputation has really dined out on the four goals he scored in the PL last time. In 18 months he really has delivered very little else. Like it or not, we got more Championship goals from Rothwell in a similar position last year and nobody wants him back. He’s clearly got technique but just doesn’t look comfortable in English football. If we get a good offer for him we should take it.

I like Alcaraz and he's stated he's happy to be here and try to do well for the team (which is refreshing for a 21 year old in a sport where big money beckons) and I think he has talent, but if he doesn't fit our current manager's system then we should get what we can for him. I'm pretty sure he'll go on to have a good career and we may one day regret selling him but I'd rather sell him and bring in the money to strengthen the team with players that can actually improve us now.

I've mellowed out, feet up with MOTD.

That was really bad, probably as unentertaining as Russball has been.

Just an amateurish setup really, Forest kept us at arms length all game and were only too happy to go for three points with 20 left.

The attack is the biggest concern but there was just a glaring lack of quality through our whole side. Downes and KWP are probably the only ones who didn't look out of place in that game.

We have got to start playing with a nine. Forest's centre-backs may as well have not turned up at all. Armstrong is unfortunately completely out of his depth in this league.

How is Edozie getting a game in the PL when we had better wide options in the Championship last season? The guy needs a loan in League One, not to get pocketed in this league every week.

Stephens ghosting into midfield and taking an age to play any pass is not the magic bit of genius Martin thinks it is, to be honest. He needs to get his head out of his arse and just chuck that whole thing in the bin.

Lots more to do in the market

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SaintlyAnd said:

Agree 100%. I would only add that it is early days and we have lots of new players to integrate.

And it was like someone switched the light on when Dibling came on and said ‘fuck this passing backwards shite, I’m running at these…”

Even Russ rightly recognised he was our biggest attacking threat and he was only in for fifteen mins. Better days ahead! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Martin can't find a position for any flair players in this highly mediocre team. 
68 years I've been watching Saints, good or bad I've usually been entertained at least. Unless something changes drastically I fear there won't be much of that this season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If you look at our signings with prem experience we've bought a Burnley defender who got relegated, two attackers from one of the worst attacks in the history of the league abd Lallana whose injured and will play a bit part role for the rest of the season. It doesn't bode well when we have people deriding Ipswich for their lack of prem experience. 

Afraid I have to agree....

2 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Martin can't find a position for any flair players in this highly mediocre team. 
68 years I've been watching Saints, good or bad I've usually been entertained at least. Unless something changes drastically I fear there won't be much of that this season.

On the positive side we only conceded twice in the first two games in the prem, which has hardly happened sinde the 2010s. But I share your justified worry.
Plenty of work to do before the transfer window closes!

4 hours ago, derry said:

Aribo is so one footed he's a liability. I can't believe he has been a professional for years. What the hell do the coaches do all day. Make him practice with his right foot and tie a crushed coke tin on his left instep.

And so is BBD when he's not doing a statue imitation on the wing.

Fernandez had a good cameo. He could be our creator as the season develops. Dibling looks positive. Now we need to tell Jack and the others to also have that positive intent. The only time they did things quickly was to take quick tappy free kicks....which quickly went backwards and ended up on our half way line! Eliminate those and pump the ball in the middle.

Also, sitting in the Chapel right next to the Forest fans, they were noisy. It's because they're singing at you rather than to the pitch like last year when the away fans were behind the goal. Hopefully, the Northam end was more atmospheric than before.

I don't want to hear RM utter the word brave again until he sorts his shit out and sends a team out to be brave. What we are seeing currently is a timid, meek, cowardly side afraid to pass the ball forwards or to commit players to attack. Put your money where your mouth is Russ and people might start taking you seriously because you're coming out with a load of bullshit that fools nobody at the moment.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, trousers said:

Things we learned today...

- we STILL need an actual goal scoring centre forward 

- KWP would be mad to stay

- we need KWP to stay

- AA only flourishes when he has space

- AA isn't going to get the space he needs to flourish this season

- Fernandes looks promising 

- With 30 minutes to go, Russ would rather preserve a draw than go for the win. At home. To Nottingham Forest. 

- Big Les needs to start instead of Smallbone 

- McCarthy isn't actually a bad goalkeeper when he's doing normal goalkeeper type stuff 

I dont agree with the criticism of the strikers. Haaland wouldn't have scored for us today. There was absolutely no service from midfield today and that's were we lost the game. Both Smallbone and Aribo are too slow at the this level and we need midfielders who are quicker and can beat a player otherwise we are going down. In fairness Fernandes looked promising and young Dibling looked excellent and looks made to play at this level

In this league possession based football will only work for us if it's quicker and they learn when to play a decisive pass.

I thought our keeper was good today and it will be 10 in front of him that'll relegate us not him

2 minutes ago, jimmer42 said:

I dont agree with the criticism of the strikers. Haaland wouldn't have scored for us today.

Being a founder member of the fence sitting brigade, I obviously respect differing opinions, but I would venture you won't get too much empathy with that viewpoint.... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, disconnect said:

Again it seems crazy to take off Sugawara, who actually does carry an attacking threat, and then play Stephens out of position. Stephens is probably our 5th(?) best left back but is constantly moved there for some reason.

he was one of best players today though

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Being a founder member of the fence sitting brigade, I obviously respect differing opinions, but I would venture you won't get too much empathy with that viewpoint.... 

That's good because if most people on here agreed with me I'd be worried

• Like 1

Pissed me off seeing a couple of Forest fans in the home section jumping up and down, fists in the air celebrating the goal in front of a Steward without as much as a warning to settle down. Might as well not bother with segregation.

Looking at possible "blessings in disguise" from our opening two performances, I think the two defeats  now gives Russ a self-justification to deviate from a 'loyalty' starting 11 to a more ruthless / best starting 11....

Up to now, I see why he probably felt he couldn't drop the likes of Smallbone & Aribo, but he now has the trigger he probably feels he needs to shuffle the pack...

All of which, following the Carabou Cup game, should lead to a starting 11 in the next PL game vs Brentford along the lines of:

McCarthy / New GK

KWP - Bednarek - THB - Yuki

Downes - Big Les

Dibbling - Ferdinand - Armstrong/BBD

Archer / New CF

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Looking at possible "blessings in disguise" from our opening two performances, I think the two defeats  now gives Russ a self-justification to deviate from a 'loyalty' starting 11 to a more ruthless / best starting 11....

Up to now, I see why he probably felt he couldn't drop the likes of Smallbone & Aribo, but he now has the trigger he probably feels he needs to shuffle the pack...

All of which, following the Carabou Cup game, should lead to a starting 11 in the next PL game vs Brentford along the lines of:

McCarthy / New GK

KWP - Bednarek - THB - Yuki

Downes - Big Les

Dibbling - Ferdinand - Armstrong/BBD

Archer / New CF

Big Les Ferdinand? What a signing that would be. 

7 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Smallbone seems too weak at this level. 1 dimensional, looks like he's playing at his absolute limits physically with nothing left to give.

Let's be brutally honest - Will Smallbone is not a Premier League standard midfielder, yet RM is playing him as though he's one of the first on the team sheet.  The difference in quality between the Saints and Forest front four was a chasm.   We had BBD and Arma playing forward and wide, looking and hoping for service from a non-existent attacking midfield.   Smallbone in particular can't/doesn't run with the ball; can't beat a man, or play the half turn and doesn't have the guile and creativity the side desperately needs - Airibo doesn't offer much more.  It was left to Downes to be both the defensive midfielder and the box-to-box role as well.    The late cameos from Fernandes and Dibling offer hope for better -   Dibling providing the Stu Armstrong run we are lacking.   Martin has to start employing what we hope are the midfield qualities that Big Les, Fernandes and Dibling can bring.  It's time to confine Smallbone to back up status.

The point made by Trousers is a crucial one - why would KWP want to stay?   Conversely, we can't afford to lose him.    Today, he and Downes were the only recognisable Prem standard Saints players.

• Like 3