Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread

Lighthouse

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why play five at the back at home? We have to act like we belong in this league rather than trying not to lose. 

Got to find a space for Captain Jack.

• Like 3

Think we need to bring the 4-3-3 back,BBD is a weird one spends most of his time wide but doesn’t really create much from out there AA was quite isolated imo.

Aribo again great at holding the ball up but did get caught out for the goal but think he’s an important player for us

Dibling was very good when he came on running at players but we left it very to make the changes 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

Mc Carthy played well, good job too because we didn't create anything. First half in particular Smallbone and Aribo were constantly looking for the safe option. Having said that, if Aribo had taken the safe option and put his laces through that corner, we would have got a point. 

Dibling needs to come on earlier if we are behind, and Diaz should be played inside more if we are behind, not stuck on the wing. 

Hopefully, Fernandes is in for Aribo next week. 

Also, there should be retrospective booking/ban  for any player that feigns a head injury to get play stopped. Pure cheating and dangerous too,  as it runs the risk of a genuine head injury being ignored. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

It's great to be back in the Premier league, eh? 

Big changes needed, either personnel or formation but if we play the whole season like that, we're going to set a few records...

Surely we can all put up with it for one season can't we!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, M271 said:

The second game where we have gifted them their goal. There are times to run or pass it out and other to hoof it up field or out while the defence resets.

Yep we are 2 hoofs away from two 0-0s and 2pts on the board.

Yes MLG...I know!

• Like 3

Yep, it's going to be an embarrassing season unless something changes quickly over the last few days of the window. 

Edozie, Smallbone, Stephens, McCarthy and Aribo should be nowhere near a Premier League squad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If Martin knows his style will produce more losses than wins at a higher level why does he persevere with it? 

I’m not enjoying this either but there isn’t a system in world football that could turn this squad into one that wins more games than it loses in the premier league. 

• Haha 1

Whilst we might think we should compete with Forest, the relative values of the squad and the kind of money they've spent is miles away from us. As it will be for most of the rest of the teams here in the Prem. Back to trying to punch above our financial weight.

Not only a crap result but what a boring game to watch.

Echoing others though, Dibling looks a good positive player, with driving forward runs like Alcaraz. Would love to see him start although not convinced his style (like Alcaraz') fits Martinball.

8 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Again it seems crazy to take off Sugawara, who actually does carry an attacking threat, and then play Stephens out of position. Stephens is probably our 5th(?) best left back but is constantly moved there for some reason.

I hear Lucy has said of Jack, 'it's him or me'. Make of that what you will.

• Haha 1

Meh, we'd take this position after 38 games. Bearing in mind if we want to be a yo yo club, every other season will be spent losing a lot of games, this is not too bad.  I would like to see a bit more urgency in injury time though, frustrating to still be jogging around with the game on the line.

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Bijlow

Sugawara - THB - Jan - KWP

Downes - Lesley - Fernandes

AA - Archer - BBD

Already that looks better on paper than what we started with today. 

Give Russ a call will you.

• Like 2

A forgettable performance today.

Martin will be happy with the level of possession. We set our stall out to maximise that, keeping it safe and at a comfortably slow pace.

But it was a game, and we’ve seen enough of them, where that possession and tempo doesn’t move opposition around, and we create very few chances.

We had 1 shot on target and 1 off target today, and that was with making a number of late changes and trying to be a lot more attacking. Something that is itself hampered by the side’s struggle to shift gears.

Downes looked by far the most versatile midfielder we had. Will linked up a couple of times. But didn’t help shielding or attacking today. Further, he was bypassed a number of times when we did try something more direct. Aribo had the ball stick to his feet a couple of times, but frustrated in not offering any attacking outlet or support.

With such a limited midfield, AA ran around but offered little up front. Diaz also looked slow and not up to the challenge either. Archer wasn’t able to do much as a sub.

Iat the back, McCarthy did okay with anything he was asked to do. The tempo we were playing at, meant he wasn’t relied on for quick passes out either.

Both KWP and Sugawara ended up taking responsibility to get forward. While it looks better, it doesn’t help our possession set up, and neither really linked up well with others in the team. KWP still stood out as easily our best player, and it was a frustrating day for him as he looked around at the lack of support from others.

Dibling looked direct and attacking. But other than winning a free kick, there wasn;t anything to show for it. Edozie got a couple of speculative balls into the box, and a few errors. He once didn’t get back to stop his marker, and he did well defensively today.

Far more learning curves than positives today. Martin has to decide how he expects his side to create chances against PL opposition. Waiting for Forest to make a massive blunder seemed to be the only hope today. There was no movement, tempo shift or attacking intent to get a winner from that game, even when we were chasing.

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Whilst we might think we should compete with Forest, the relative values of the squad and the kind of money they've spent is miles away from us. As it will be for most of the rest of the teams here in the Prem. Back to trying to punch above our financial weight.

Good point. Evidently they're about to get their pants pulled down by Arsenal. £30m for Nketiah, but they've got that sort of money, we don't.

We aren’t set up to “attack” and score goals, and “defend” and prevent goals, depending on the situation. We’re set up to slavishly adhere to Martin’s style, regardless of the situation. ALWAYS start with risky interplay at the back, take ages to get the ball forward so the opposing defence can get set, use our two “strikers” on the touchlines (no target in the box), and try to unlock them by over-passing in the final third.

That’s why Martin likes robotic players who are woefully lacking in talent.

On the good side we’ve signed a couple of players who aren’t automatons, and there’s Dibling. Hopefully Martin will permit them to show it, but I’m not sure his arrogance will let him.

• Like 7

Southampton Nil, our revised/reprised name again. All the fuss about a keeper, but if you score nothing it makes virtually no difference who is the keeper. Toothless in attack, and that doesn't mean main striker. 2 goals conceded in 2 games is pretty good. Still, onwards and upwards, 16th place, well away from relegation 🤔 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

He was crap there. He's never been able to play with his head up and/or do anything useful with the ball. He's not good enough, but, the best wide option RM can use. 

16 minutes ago, egg said:

He was crap there. He's never been able to play with his head up and/or do anything useful with the ball. He's not good enough, but, the best wide option RM can use. 

So if you think he’s crap in the Championship you think he’s a league one level player?  That’s a bit harsh. 

If he could finish better he would a decent Championship player but as he cannot he’s your mid table performer to me. 

7 minutes ago, SouSaint said:

Yep, it's going to be an embarrassing season unless something changes quickly over the last few days of the window. 

Edozie, Smallbone, Stephens, McCarthy and Aribo should be nowhere near a Premier League squad. 

Agreed. 12 points seems a LOOOOOONG way away right now 😬

• Like 1

Really abject performance. Scared to attack, happy to piss around with it 70 yards from their goal rather than look to break lines. 

Russball just about got us out the championship because man for man, we were better than most. That is not the case this year and it's just so easy for premier teams to defend. 

Players who should not be anywhere near the team include Stephens, Smallbone and Armstrong. Just not good enough for this level.

Shining light was Dibling, if he's not starting he needs to be getting 30mins minimum.

Hopefully we see a raft of changes, if not and russ continues with his madness, it won't be pretty. 

Did the 27,000 know this is what they were buying when they purchased their season tickets?

• Like 2

Tactically that was an absolute shambles. Gaping hole where you’re supposed to have a 9 and or 10 for almost the whole game until Archer came on. It looked like we were trying to get Aribo or Smallbone into that most advanced position in possession but it never happened. 

Didn’t even have a proper go and the subs were plain bizarre 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Reactive management and never proactive,same as last season but against much much better opposition.

We all know how this ends in May

We’ll be relegated before May

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'm all for the club encouraging fans to get behind the team but they have to give us something to get behind. It was so meak today. We are set up to be solid which I understand but the majority of passes are in the wrong direction. There is very little intent or bravery to create openings. We desperately need someone better than Edozie and a focal point upfront whether that be change of formation or personnel. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Well that's us going down. 

Yeah you can see there's a general acceptance amongst the fans, no one watching that thinks we can survive, let's just plan for the championship next season. 

2 games in. 2 defeats. I thought we'd have 1 point after our first 5 games, with that point being picked up today. 😩

It doesn't bode well when the areas that needed addressing last season still haven't been addressed. A creative midfielder and an out-and-out striker. We've bought BBD and CA who basically play the same role. 

If we stopped playing that waste of Space, Stephens, then we could have another midfielder on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Martin can coach his boring bullshit possessional garbage & feel like a coaching God.

Clearly hasn’t got a clue how to coach in the final 3rd or defensively

Deluded 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, JRM said:

Yeah you can see there's a general acceptance amongst the fans, no one watching that thinks we can survive, let's just plan for the championship next season. 

I still believe 🙂

• Like 1

Thing I've noticed about RM (this season and last) is that he sets up the team into a formation (like any other manager) but then when the subs start coming on we become a mish mash of players. Sometimes it's not possible to tell where players are playing and in what positions. We got away with that last year but we'll get destroyed this year with such "tactics".

10 minutes ago, obelisk said:

So how long do we think Martin will last if we keep getting "Saints nil" results?

I think that’s an interesting and valid question that should be qualified by the fact we’re only two games in. We know RM won’t change his ethos in how we play which I think will really cost us. Hypothetical I know, but if we were winless after ten games how would everyone be feeling then? I actually think giving him a contract extension was a tad premature. Hopefully I’m proved wrong but history probably suggests not.

• Like 1

So the tactic was to have BBD and Armstrong playing really wide, to create space for Smallbone and Aribo to ghost into the box?

That's our attacking plan? Someone tell me I'm imagining it because it can't be real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just watched the goals from the other games. Wow, teams that score goals move the ball quicky and with purpose. Players taking shots and backing off defenders with pace.

Complete opposite of what we do. 

They'll learn eventually.

Needed:

Edozie to the Championship on loan, replaced by someone more creative than BBD and Arma on the wing.

New striker to compete with BBD, Archer & LND if fit.

Just toothless today, Smallbone has been fine mostly but today was all that frustrates you about his game.

On the plus side: Taylor & Fernades looked pretty good and combined well to create a 1 yard tap in opportunity that Archer really ought to be burying

If Aribo had given it a bit of Peter Kay the score would have looked a lot better.

McCarthy didn't fuck up today. Well done Alex 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic