Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread

Lighthouse

4 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

That's the game done then. Two 1-0 defeats doesn't sound as bad as it could be?

Considering both could easily have been 3-0 I suppose there is a positive side to things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Things we learned today...

- we STILL need an actual goal scoring centre forward 

- KWP would be mad to stay

- we need KWP to stay

- AA only flourishes when he has space

- AA isn't going to get the space he needs to flourish this season

- Fernandes looks promising 

- With 30 minutes to go, Russ would rather preserve a draw than go for the win. At home. To Nottingham Forest. 

- Big Les needs to start instead of Smallbone 

- McCarthy isn't actually a bad goalkeeper when he's doing normal goalkeeper type stuff 

• Like 11

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Considering both could easily have been 3-0 I suppose there is a positive side to things.

Still six points lost wether we lost 1-0 or 3-0 but is see your point on confidence 

Just now, Bobsmith said:

Entirely on Russell Martin. Set us up like we were playing Manchester City away, and only makes changes when we're behind. Clueless 

Not to mention his changes were poor too. The love in with Stephens is stupid, taking off Sugawara and playing him LB makes zero sense.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I have believed for ages tha Smallbone and Aribo in midfield in this league and we are doomed.

They are not mobile enough and don’t offer enough quality in an attacking sense.

We look toothless up top with Diaz and Armstrong so not sure how we change this going forward.

I appreciate the idea of sticking by the players who got you promoted but we were hardly pulling up trees last year - we largely scraped through to promotion. Thankfully with Ugochukwu and Fernandes fully integrated, we won't have to rely on the others that much.

Still work to do in the transfer window and... Russ - please don't play 3 CBs at home against the likes of Forest. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, northam soul said:

I have believed for ages tha Smallbone and Aribo in midfield in this league and we are doomed.

I think we could get away with one as an occasional sub but both on for the majority of the game isn't going to work at this level. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

- we need KWP to stay

- With 30 minutes to go, Russ would rather preserve a draw than go for the win. At home. To Nottingham Forest. 

- McCarthy isn't actually a bad goalkeeper when he's doing normal goalkeeper type stuff 

True, if Bazunu, I think we lost at least 0-3

• Like 3

So annoying. I don't think anyone can say we should have won, but we also shouldn't have lost. Aribo just needs to kick it FFS. That said, did look like he was fouled.

If we're going to play the two "strikers" we need to get them closer together. We're not good enough to have no proper focal point up there. 

P.s. Dibbling looked excellent. 

Edited by benjii
  • Like 3

It's great to be back in the Premier league, eh? 

Big changes needed, either personnel or formation but if we play the whole season like that, we're going to set a few records...

Ok so we found out earlier this week that it would be unlikely we would be signing both Bijlow and Ramsdale. I’m gonna add another pearl of wisdom to that and state I think it’s unlikely we ain’t gonna struggle this season. Absolutely hopeless in attack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

Not to mention his changes were poor too. The love in with Stephens is stupid, taking off Sugawara and playing him LB makes zero sense.

Again it seems crazy to take off Sugawara, who actually does carry an attacking threat, and then play Stephens out of position. Stephens is probably our 5th(?) best left back but is constantly moved there for some reason.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobsmith said:

Entirely on Russell Martin. Set us up like we were playing Manchester City away, and only makes changes when we're behind. Clueless 

Yep.

Last week was on him too, despite the AM error. 

Subs were too late. 

The only comfort I'll take is that we're not getting smashed. Yet. 

• Like 1

Tactics in the first half nothing short of embarrassing.

Smallbone and Aribo pointless footballers with no creativity/urgency. One of them or neither, never both. Ridiculous.

Dibling our only footballer capable of turning and driving with the ball.

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

- we need KWP to stay

You missed out that we're crap - although to be fair we already knew that so as you were.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Bijlow

Sugawara - THB - Jan - KWP

Downes - Lesley - Fernandes

AA - Archer - BBD

Already that looks better on paper than what we started with today. 

Even that is pretty toothless and lacking of pace/power up top

We are SO easy for other premier league teams to play against. Will the Forest defence get an easier day of work than this?

Tappy, tappy, slowly-keepball. Do fuck all to hurt teams. Russ needs to have a serious rethink.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, benjii said:

If we're going to play the two "strikers" we need to get them closer together. We're not good enough to have no proper focal point up there. 

At times they were both hugging their respective touchlines.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

16th after 2 games - I'll take that 🙂

In all seriousness at least our goal difference is OK (basically the best it can possibly be on two defeats). We have yet to be annihilated.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

Bijlow

Sugawara - THB - Jan - KWP

Downes - Lesley - Fernandes

AA - Archer - BBD

Already that looks better on paper than what we started with today. 

Looks like it would do well in the Championship 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So clear for 5/10 minutes before their goal that the game was there and we needed to make a change.

Doesn’t react until they score. Happened plenty last year too.

Too scared to attack Forest at home, what hope do we have outside of that?

• Like 1

Well the second half was much better, but there's still a glaring lack of quality in MF and attack. 

I thought Dibling looked excellent when he came on. His driving runs will cause all sorts of problems for opposition defenders.

I like Smallbone, but he was way out of his depth today. 

Fernandes looked decent enough.

Edozie really needs to work on his final ball. Such a frustrating player.

A shit goal to concede, having actually defended OK until that point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Why play five at the back at home? We have to act like we belong in this league rather than trying not to lose. 

Absolutely. 4 at the back. 3 in the middle. 3 up top. Play on the front foot, stretching teams, and creating genuine chances. 

We should be getting something at home to forest, and it's hard to see where our first result will come from playing this way. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Forest - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic